Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NMU vs. Michigan Tech Jan 9/10: Hopefully this series is as epic as the football game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMU vs. Michigan Tech Jan 9/10: Hopefully this series is as epic as the football game

The Huskies travel to Marquette Friday and the Wildcats travel to Houghton Saturday as NMU takes on Michigan Tech in a home-and-home set. MTU took 3 of 4 games last year and worth noting, this years Miner's Cup contest at the Dome was a great tilt. Rivalry Week. NMU. MTU. Discuss!

Re: NMU vs. Michigan Tech Jan 9/10: Hopefully this series is as epic as the football

NMU's 6 game winless streak is deceptive. In that time, they've taken points from the Mavericks and Falcons (which no other WCHA team has done) and played 4 games without their best player (Dahlström). Special teams look like a wash from a statistical perspective. And just dominating the game isn't enough for the Huskies as proven by 2 of their last 3 games.

My biggest question mark is - how many fans will show up on Friday night at the BEC, and how many of them will be Tech fans?

Comment

Re: NMU vs. Michigan Tech Jan 9/10: Hopefully this series is as epic as the football

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
      NMU's 6 game winless streak is deceptive. In that time, they've taken points from the Mavericks and Falcons (which no other WCHA team has done) and played 4 games without their best player (Dahlström). Special teams look like a wash from a statistical perspective. And just dominating the game isn't enough for the Huskies as proven by 2 of their last 3 games.

My biggest question mark is - how many fans will show up on Friday night at the BEC, and how many of them will be Tech fans?
      It's a travesty that these games are being played while schools are on break. The season closing series is played on Spring Break out of necessity. This series should be played on a prime, in school weekend. Crowds will be very good at both rinks. They always are unless Mother Nature throws a blizzard out there. It should be a terrific weekend of college hockey.
      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

BIG weekend coming up for the 'Cats. Last weekend was a good measuring stick of what the 'Cats need to improve upon, but now the 'Cats cannot give up any more points. Every team plays this weekend, and the 'Cats need to gain some points to remain a first round home team.

I know Alaska, wherever they end the season at, cannot participate in the post season, but I would rather the 'Cats decide their fate than let others.

Huge to see that the games are being carried on WLUC TV6 both Friday night and Saturday night. I think we all presumed Fox UP would be the home for those games, but alas. Saturday night's game could be interesting if the NFL game runs long.

Side note: Attendance seems to be a continued issue. I really wish the more people came out to support their hockey team, a team that could be a contender for the MacNaughton Cup or for the Broadmoor trophy. But no, some residents still spout off how the Donors Room at Lakeview was the bees knees, how the seats at the Berry just don't give their a** splinters the same way the crappy seats at Lakeview did, or that $14 is just too expensive to budget for.

Okay, I'll concede the University does a shi**y job of making affordable ticket packages (Flex Packs, 5 game packs, etc) but when they have made these options available in the past, no one utilized them anyway because of the above mentioned "gripes."

I saw on Facebook a fellow fan mentioned similar over the weekend (of which, I agreed with, but he deleted his FB post), said fan even pointed out that some of NMU's "fans" would much rather see a block letter M or S team than their own. For shame. It's those same "fans" who are likely also pining for the days of Lakeview. It's frustrating as a fan of this program to watch it be continually whittled at by the locals.

Goddammit, they need to pack that place the rest of the season. Get loud. Support the 'Cats.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I hope the walk-up sales are good; looking at nmu.edu/tickets and it appears to be only 1/2 to 3/4 full, not counting the student sections. And with a portion of those sold preferring to stand on the concourse, it's going to be another half empty looking building.

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            I hope the walk-up sales are good; looking at nmu.edu/tickets and it appears to be only 1/2 to 3/4 full, not counting the student sections. And with a portion of those sold preferring to stand on the concourse, it's going to be another half empty looking building.
            If your glass wasn't carnival mirror quality maybe people would actually sit behind it...
            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
              It's a travesty that these games are being played while schools are on break. The season closing series is played on Spring Break out of necessity. This series should be played on a prime, in school weekend. Crowds will be very good at both rinks. They always are unless Mother Nature throws a blizzard out there. It should be a terrific weekend of college hockey.
              This series comes right at the end of break though, where most students should be returning. Hope everyone comes out. I got my tickets 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                If your glass wasn't carnival mirror quality maybe people would actually sit behind it...
                They just installed seamless glass two or three years ago. Have you been to a game since?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

They just installed seamless glass two or three years ago. Have you been to a game since?
                  I'll admit I've not been since I moved down here... so about 7 years. I'm debating making the trip up Sunday night.
                  MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                    I'll admit I've not been since I moved down here... so about 7 years. I'm debating making the trip up Sunday night.
                    Ha! You're part of the problem! I bet you're still complaining about the knee room they (mostly) fixed in 2004 too.

*edit* As for carnival glass, I felt the Resch Center was way worse than the Berry was when I went for the first Wisco/NMU matchup. Does anyone know if the Resch Center has replaced their glass yet?

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Ha! You're part of the problem! I bet you're still complaining about the knee room they (mostly) fixed in 2004 too.
                      Real hockey fans stand.

Comment

BIG weekend coming up for the 'Cats. Last weekend was a good measuring stick of what the 'Cats need to improve upon, but now the 'Cats cannot give up any more points. Every team plays this weekend, and the 'Cats need to gain some points to remain a first round home team.

I know Alaska, wherever they end the season at, cannot participate in the post season, but I would rather the 'Cats decide their fate than let others.

Huge to see that the games are being carried on WLUC TV6 both Friday night and Saturday night. I think we all presumed Fox UP would be the home for those games, but alas. Saturday night's game could be interesting if the NFL game runs long.

Side note: Attendance seems to be a continued issue. I really wish the more people came out to support their hockey team, a team that could be a contender for the MacNaughton Cup or for the Broadmoor trophy. But no, some residents still spout off how the Donors Room at Lakeview was the bees knees, how the seats at the Berry just don't give their a** splinters the same way the crappy seats at Lakeview did, or that $14 is just too expensive to budget for.

Okay, I'll concede the University does a shi**y job of making affordable ticket packages (Flex Packs, 5 game packs, etc) but when they have made these options available in the past, no one utilized them anyway because of the above mentioned "gripes."

I saw on Facebook a fellow fan mentioned similar over the weekend (of which, I agreed with, but he deleted his FB post), said fan even pointed out that some of NMU's "fans" would much rather see a block letter M or S team than their own. For shame. It's those same "fans" who are likely also pining for the days of Lakeview. It's frustrating as a fan of this program to watch it be continually whittled at by the locals.

Goddammit, they need to pack that place the rest of the season. Get loud. Support the 'Cats.

Great post!

Comment

Saturday's game has been moved to a 7:37pm EST faceoff, but it's likely that TV6 will still have to join the hockey game in progress. The Saturday 4:40pm kickoff game last weekend went until almost 8pm. I'm not sure when the station will be allowed by NBC to break away.

Comment

NMU has been pushing ticket sales on their Athletics page a lot this week so far. Offering a "Flash Sale" of $10 a ticket from 8 AM to 5 PM tomorrow. I really hope that place is full and loud. I'll be making the trip to Houghton as well.

Also, anyone have any word on Dahlstrom?

Comment

Glad to see they're working to get a full barn....
                              It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Working...
                              X