Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you like hockey, or do you just like "your" team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you like hockey, or do you just like "your" team?

This is prompted by the photo on the current opening page of USCHO. A bench full of smiling UMass Lowell players celebrating a goal in an eventual win over Merrimack in the Mariucci Classic at Mariucci Arena in Minneapolis. The place is virtually empty. The lack of fans was even noted throughout the game recap elsewhere on this site. It appears as if 90% of the nearly 10,000 people listed as "attending" this game are disguised as empty seats.

I realize that the photo and the attendance figure represents two things, the number of tickets sold and the fact the the place was of course nearly full for the Minnesota game. But are there no longer people who in addition to being fans of a particular team are also fans of this sport? And it isn't just this game at this tournament at this arena. Notre Dame has hosted two Shillelagh Tournaments at the Compton and in the games not involving the host team you could count the fans present on your fingers and toes. Same thing can be said for nearly any arena hosting more than one game. There are almost never more than a handful of people there for the game NOT involving their team. This holds true for games played at the home of one of the teams or games played where all the teams are on neutral ice. It is the same for regular season games and for NCAA tournament games. It was like this for the 2011 Frozen Four.

It wasn't always like this. I've been to plenty of tournaments in college hockey and college basketball where the atmosphere used to be like a carnival. People were there to enjoy the games, whether or not their team was playing. It almost seemed like a little bit of a bonus or a free game. Sure you paid for a ticket because your team was there, but in addition, there was a whole other game for you to enjoy. It is never like this anymore. In truly neutral sites, the atmosphere now is morgue like instead of carnival like. Obviously family, work or travel situations can keep some people away, but EVERYONE? I'll see another example of this I'm sure in March. Despite the fact my team isn't going to sniff the NCAAs in 2015 I'll be at the Compton when they host an NCAA tournament regional for the first time. My guess is 99% of the Notre Dame fans I usually see there won't be within miles of the place unless they coincidentally live within miles of the place. And I'm equally certain that for each of the 3 games there will be two sets -- and ONLY two sets -- of fans in attendance.

So I ask, do you like college hockey or do you just like your own team and couldn't care less about the sport?

Re: Do you like hockey, or do you just like "your" team?

Would the average football fan attend a football game that doesn't involve their team? Why not? That's pretty much the same reason.

College hockey is a niche sport to begin with, with a small fanbase compared to other sports (hence why many of us on here know each other: we see the same people quite often at the games). A small portion of that small fanbase are die-hard enough to go to games not involving their team.

Personally, I sometimes go to games not involving my team. In fact, about two dozen of us traveled up from Mpls to Houghton MI (about a 6 hour trip, one-way) to watch Michigan Tech-tUMD play, and the majority of us were Gopher fans. Of course, we are kind of insane.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Minnesotans like hockey. Look at the HS tournament. I go to the other games in the MN college tournament. Lowell-Merrimack? Come on.

I should say I would go to Lowell-Merrimack in the NCAA. But this is the Mariucci Classic we're talking about.
      Last edited by Bonin21; 01-04-2015, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
        Minnesotans like hockey. Look at the HS tournament. I go to the other games in the MN college tournament. Lowell-Merrimack? Come on.

I should say I would go to Lowell-Merrimack in the NCAA. But this is the Mariucci Classic we're talking about.
        If Minnesotans like hockey why didn't any of them show up for a game between two top-20 teams? Minnesotans like Minnesota hockey. They obviously don't like hockey.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Would the average football fan attend a football game that doesn't involve their team? Why not? That's pretty much the same reason.
        Not exactly my point. Not a whole lot of college football double headers. You're already going to be at Mariucci (or wherever there is a tournament) so why not make the other game?

There are fewer and fewer people who are sports fans anymore, and even fewer who find attending live sporting events a worthwhile event as far as their entertainment dollars go.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
          Minnesotans like Minnesota hockey. They obviously don't like hockey.
          You realize this doesn't make sense, right? It would have to say that we don't like non-Minnesota hockey, since you just said we like a type of hockey. Also, the title of the thread asks if we just like "our" team, and I explained how that's not the case for us.

Comment

You're already going to be at Mariucci (or wherever there is a tournament) so why not make the other game?

There are fewer and fewer people who are sports fans anymore, and even fewer who find attending live sporting events a worthwhile event as far as their entertainment dollars go.
            Going to two games, you have to spend more money to eat, given how long you're going to be there. Also, the time commitment involved (instead of 3 hours or so, now you're looking at 7-8 hours). Most people are not going to make that commitment, especially when the average hockey fan doesn't even know where Merrimack IS, much less if they are any good or not.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

You realize this doesn't make sense, right? It would have to say that we don't like non-Minnesota hockey, since you just said we like a type of hockey. Also, the title of the thread asks if we just like "our" team, and I explained how that's not the case for us.
              I suppose I should have said Minnesotans like Minnesota hockey and not any other kind of hockey. And this thread is not just about Minnesota people. It's about fans everywhere. In all sports. I'm old enough to remember it not being like this and wonder why it is today. People used to more interested in seeing teams other than the one they rooted for when they were in a building for some sort of tournament.

Comment

If Minnesotans like hockey why didn't any of them show up for a game between two top-20 teams? Minnesotans like Minnesota hockey. They obviously don't like hockey.
                I think this is a really good point.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  I think this is a really good point.
                  I disagree. If he would have just said "hockey fans like their local/state hockey" then maybe he'd almost have a point. Aren't there something like 4 hockey colleges in Boston within a couple miles of each other? How much crossover is there for fans? Would Fan A go see a game of Schools B and C? *shrug* maybe. How many of them out there would go to a game between Bemidji State and Northern Michigan during a sort of worthless tournament on Christmas break?

Comment

This is prompted by the photo on the current opening page of USCHO. A bench full of smiling UMass Lowell players celebrating a goal in an eventual win over Merrimack in the Mariucci Classic at Mariucci Arena in Minneapolis. The place is virtually empty. The lack of fans was even noted throughout the game recap elsewhere on this site. It appears as if 90% of the nearly 10,000 people listed as "attending" this game are disguised as empty seats.

I realize that the photo and the attendance figure represents two things, the number of tickets sold and the fact the the place was of course nearly full for the Minnesota game. But are there no longer people who in addition to being fans of a particular team are also fans of this sport? And it isn't just this game at this tournament at this arena. Notre Dame has hosted two Shillelagh Tournaments at the Compton and in the games not involving the host team you could count the fans present on your fingers and toes. Same thing can be said for nearly any arena hosting more than one game. There are almost never more than a handful of people there for the game NOT involving their team. This holds true for games played at the home of one of the teams or games played where all the teams are on neutral ice. It is the same for regular season games and for NCAA tournament games. It was like this for the 2011 Frozen Four.

It wasn't always like this. I've been to plenty of tournaments in college hockey and college basketball where the atmosphere used to be like a carnival. People were there to enjoy the games, whether or not their team was playing. It almost seemed like a little bit of a bonus or a free game. Sure you paid for a ticket because your team was there, but in addition, there was a whole other game for you to enjoy. It is never like this anymore. In truly neutral sites, the atmosphere now is morgue like instead of carnival like. Obviously family, work or travel situations can keep some people away, but EVERYONE? I'll see another example of this I'm sure in March. Despite the fact my team isn't going to sniff the NCAAs in 2015 I'll be at the Compton when they host an NCAA tournament regional for the first time. My guess is 99% of the Notre Dame fans I usually see there won't be within miles of the place unless they coincidentally live within miles of the place. And I'm equally certain that for each of the 3 games there will be two sets -- and ONLY two sets -- of fans in attendance.

So I ask, do you like college hockey or do you just like your own team and couldn't care less about the sport?
                    We've got high school hockey (big deal here), 5 division 1 schools, and the Wild here. Why would we want to go sit and watch two schools we don't give two craps about when there is plenty of other hockey to watch here?

Not to mention, we dealt with the same thing in the Ice Breaker at your place. Funny you didn't bring this discussion up then
                    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Exactly. I love watching former WCHA hockey that's outside MN. Watch Badgers and UND all the time. No interest in watching Merrimack play Lowell. Not because I think they are bad teams, but because other hockey was being played that I was interested in more.

Comment

I guess Canadians don't like hockey much either as the crowds for a few of the games (one of the Denmark games in particular) were really rather pedestrian.

The Derp is strong with the OP.

Comment

I like hockey...I go to the Beanpot every year despite not having a horse in the race (Brown fan) and I went to the Hockey East championship game between Lowell and UNH last year. I also went to Frozen Fenway last year (boy, was that a mistake). I'm going to BU-Notre Dame in February. I went to the NCAA Regional when it was in Providence two years ago, and if the ECAC Final Four were in New England I'd go every year despite Brown's inevitable absence.

The key, however, is that all of these events are relevant to me. Just as a Minnesotan might not care to see Lowell play Merrimack, you wouldn't find me at a tournament in Boston or Providence or wherever that included, say, Minnesota State and St. Cloud State. I just wouldn't care. I'm sure UM fans would attend a game between those two schools if it were part of a tournament, just as I would likely attend a tournament game between Lowell and Merrimack around here.

Comment

I'd watch a beer league game at midnight if you told me it was hockey. Love the game. As I enter my 50's I can state with certainty that I'm a better fan than I ever was a player
                            Spaulding get your foot off the boat!

Comment

Originally posted by steakbomb View Post
                              I'd watch a beer league game at midnight if you told me it was hockey. Love the game. As I enter my 50's I can state with certainty that I'm a better fan than I ever was a player
                              I'm sure you could find a game right now. Better get going

Comment

Working...
                              X