The 2015 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The 2015 Pairwise, Bracketology and History Thread

Last edited by MN Magic; 04-02-2015, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MN Magic View Post
      Obviously this will change in the next two weeks, but I believe we have our first Bracketology that does not need to be tweaked.

Fargo
      1 North Dakota vs 16 Robert Morris
      8 Denver vs 9 Providence

South Bend
      2 MN Mankato vs 15 Michigan
      10 Boston College vs 7 Michigan Tech

Providence
      4 Miami vs 13 Yale
      5 Nebraska Omaha vs 12 Quinnipiac

Manchester
      3 MN Duluth vs 14 Bowling Green
      6 Boston University vs 11 Minnesota
      Here's what Chris Dilks of SB Nation has come up with, that is quite different from your scenario:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...logy-march-1st

Comment

The March 1 pairwise
        1 North Dakota
        2 Minnesota State
        3 Minnesota-Duluth
        4 Miami
        5 Nebraska-Omaha
        6 Boston University
        7 Michigan Tech
        8 Denver
        9 Providence
        10 Boston College
        11 Minnesota
        12t Quinnipiac
        12t Yale
        14 Bowling Green
        15t Michigan
        15t Massachusetts-Lowell
        17 St. Cloud State
        18 Colgate
        19t Vermont
        19t Northeastern
        21 St. Lawrence
        22 Harvard
        23 Bemidji State
        24 Dartmouth
        25 Robert Morris
        26 Alaska
        27t Western Michigan
        27t Penn State
        29 Northern Michigan
        30t New Hampshire
        30t Notre Dame
        32 Michigan State
        33t Cornell
        33t Merrimack
        33t Union
        36 Ferris State
        37 Ohio State
        38 Connecticut
        39 Bentley
        40t Canisius
        40t Clarkson
        42t Mercyhurst
        42t Maine
        44 RIT
        45 Massachusetts
        46 Brown
        47 Holy Cross
        48 Rensselaer
        49 Colorado College
        50t Air Force
        50t Sacred Heart
        50t Alaska-Anchorage
        53 Alabama-Huntsville
        54 Lake Superior
        55 Wisconsin
        56 Princeton
        57 Army
        58 American International
        59 Niagara

There have now been 170 teams that have been ranked high enough to qualify for an NCAA invite without relying on an autobid to make the field. 155 (91.2%) have been in playoff position on March 1. No team in the top seven at this point in the season has ever fallen out of the field. Only Denver in 2007 and Mankato in 2008 have fallen out of the top 11. The state of Michigan continued a very bad trend as Michigan joined Western Michigan (2013), Northern Michigan (2012) and Michigan State (2010) - along with Duluth (2008) and Dartmouth (2005) - as 12-seeds who have missed the tournament. Overall, 41 of the 48 (85.4%) teams ranked 9-12 qualified.

The teams don't HAVE to be moved, but to help attendance and reduce flights they would be.

Fargo
        #1 North Dakota vs Robert Morris
        Denver vs Minnesota

South Bend
        #4 Miami vs Michigan
        Omaha vs Boston C

Manchester
        #3 Duluth vs Bowling Green
        Boston U vs Quinnipiac

Providence
        #2 Mankato vs Yale
        Michigan Tech vs Providence

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
          Here's what Chris Dilks of SB Nation has come up with, that is quite different from your scenario:

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...logy-march-1st
          That differs from what the committee has done in the last. Bracket integrity has always been of utmost importance.
          Originally posted by nmupiccdiva
          ...anyone that can start a meme like that is welcome and will fit in just fine around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
            The March 1 pairwise
            1 North Dakota
            2 Minnesota State
            3 Minnesota-Duluth
            4 Miami
            5 Nebraska-Omaha
            6 Boston University
            7 Michigan Tech
            8 Denver
            9 Providence
            10 Boston College
            11 Minnesota
            12t Quinnipiac
            12t Yale
            14 Bowling Green
            15t Michigan

"snip"

Fargo
            #1 North Dakota vs Robert Morris
            Denver vs Minnesota

South Bend
            #4 Miami vs Michigan
            Omaha vs Boston C

Manchester
            #3 Duluth vs Bowling Green
            Boston U vs Quinnipiac

Providence
            #2 Mankato vs Yale
            Michigan Tech vs Providence
            This bracket makes sense in lots of ways.

1) Miami plays at South Bend because Mankato and Duluth have to fly anyway.
            2) Michigan plays at South Bend because it's close to Ann Arbor, and will bring fans to the games.
            3) Once Michigan goes to South Bend, all the 1 v 4 games fall where they 'have to' go.

4) Priceless put the #2 seeds in the normal serpentine arrangement. No way to to better, unless you assume that Michigan Tech would travel well, and should therefore go to Fargo or South Bend. Both of those are long drives. Denver in Fargo makes a certain amount of sense. So, the #2s seem easy enough.

5) The #3s. First, Minnesota at Fargo saves a flight. Plus, what a region!!!
            6) Once that happens, BU has to play Quinnipiac, to avoid BC or Prov.
            7) Omaha gets the lower seed of BC/Prov, and Prov plays close to home. This is perhaps the only nit to pick. BC would probably bring more fans to Providence than Providence (at least that's what one poster from the east said).

Comment

I'd love MN and UND to be in the same bracket. /oldschool
              I don't want MTU and MSU to be in the same bracket, but I'll bet it happens if things remain the same/similar.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Another F4 for bc with that bracket
                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

It looks like it is shaping up so I should root for Tech to be in the 3-6 range, and avoid 7-10. For the best chance at missing MSU and UND in regionals.
                  Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

• Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                    ECAC: Only Quinnipiac is in the top 12 at the moment, and just barely so. Yale would likely move up into the top 12 with winning the ECAC Tournament, but Harvard might not. It would be tight. As you mentioned, Colgate and St. Lawrence are both good possibilities of winning the tournament. However, they would also have an opportunity to jump up into the top 12 if they did so. My guess on chance of ECAC autobid stealing a spot from the top 16: 40%
                    Per the KRACH-based Monte Carlo that lugnut92 does for the ECAC predictions thread, Q has a 31.8% chance of winning, so the field is actually up at 68.2%. Of course, a couple of those in the field could make it to the top 12 by winning, so those scenarios would not "count" so your 40% is probably not a terrible guess.
                    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by Numbers View Post
                      This bracket makes sense in lots of ways.

1) Miami plays at South Bend because Mankato and Duluth have to fly anyway.
                      2) Michigan plays at South Bend because it's close to Ann Arbor, and will bring fans to the games.
                      3) Once Michigan goes to South Bend, all the 1 v 4 games fall where they 'have to' go.

4) Priceless put the #2 seeds in the normal serpentine arrangement. No way to to better, unless you assume that Michigan Tech would travel well, and should therefore go to Fargo or South Bend. Both of those are long drives. Denver in Fargo makes a certain amount of sense. So, the #2s seem easy enough.

5) The #3s. First, Minnesota at Fargo saves a flight. Plus, what a region!!!
                      6) Once that happens, BU has to play Quinnipiac, to avoid BC or Prov.
                      7) Omaha gets the lower seed of BC/Prov, and Prov plays close to home. This is perhaps the only nit to pick. BC would probably bring more fans to Providence than Providence (at least that's what one poster from the east said).
                      Pretty much my thinking exactly! I had BC and Providence switched but I went with this version because while the tickets are sold in South Bend that doesn't mean fannies in the seats. I calculate that people in South Bend are more likely to go to cheer AGAINST Michigan and BC since they're used to it. Providence doesn't have that cache. I also figure this will be a good test of whether the Friars can carry a region fan-wise because there will be no excuse for their fans not to show up. The NCAA needs to find a viable fan base in the east with the loss of both the Maine and New Hampshire bases that could be counted on to carry their regions. If the committee is that concerned about PC's ability to sell tickets (and deem that a mitigating factor) they may very well flip BC and PC since tickets in South Bend are already sold whether people show up or not.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                        Another F4 for bc with that bracket
                        Here's to hoping BU regains a #1. Doesn't get better than a BC/BU match up in the Regional.
                        I have no worries. Go Terriers... make it happen.
                        'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

I calculate that people in South Bend are more likely to go to cheer AGAINST Michigan and BC since they're used to it.
                          I don't get the sense that the ND "hockey fans" would be ones to attend a game or games where their team isn't playing. Based on my trips out there, they also don't seem to be bitter people that would show up to root against other rival schools. Let's face it, the majority of the folks already inhabiting their arena during their season don't know what icing is and want Lou Holtz to take over for Jeff Jackson.
                          Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                          The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I also figure this will be a good test of whether the Friars can carry a region fan-wise because there will be no excuse for their fans not to show up. The NCAA needs to find a viable fan base in the east with the loss of both the Maine and New Hampshire bases that could be counted on to carry their regions. If the committee is that concerned about PC's ability to sell tickets (and deem that a mitigating factor) they may very well flip BC and PC since tickets in South Bend are already sold whether people show up or not.
                            Priceless,
                            Can you elaborate on the loss on UNH and Maine fan-bases. I am assuming you mean since they are not in this year's tourney (at least pending HEA upset). But then I thought perhaps you meant something had changed generally, and, going forward, it is not going to possible to count on them any more. Has something changed with UNH and Maine fans generally?

Thanks

Comment

Has something changed with UNH and Maine fans generally?
                              The teams they follow no longer win and cheat, respectively, enough from October through March to be counted on to attend regionals.
                              Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                              The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Priceless,
                                Can you elaborate on the loss on UNH and Maine fan-bases. I am assuming you mean since they are not in this year's tourney (at least pending HEA upset). But then I thought perhaps you meant something had changed generally, and, going forward, it is not going to possible to count on them any more. Has something changed with UNH and Maine fans generally?

Thanks
                                Neither team is projected to make the field and their fans cannot be relied upon to purchase the majority of tickets at regionals. The NCAA needs another fan base because frankly BC and BU don't cut it. Lowell has a chance to help attendance, if they are good enough to make the tournament. We'll see if Providence can step up and fill the seats. One would hope with their repeated appearances, Quinnipiac and Yale might develop a following as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X