ECAC Mid Season banter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECAC Mid Season banter

With not too much to talk about over the holidays how do you think your team has done at this point ? Obviously Harvard has been the biggest surprise on the positive side and maybe Brown the biggest disappointment. How about prognostications for the second half, playoff predictions, Lake placid etc.

I'll start with Colgate, picked #1 by the coaches and media, has been a nightmare for coach Vaughan. Spink not playing, second line center Borkowski done for the year, and Murphy out two games for disciplinary reasons had the Raiders without three of their top six forwards . The first two lines in disarray forced a lot of jumbling of the lines. With Spink and Murphy back I'm wondering if Gate will put together a nice run to the post season ? Panowyk(frosh) has done a great job on faceoffs between Spink and Baun. At 3-2-1 ECAC and sixteen games left it will be very interesting. Discuss your team.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Re: ECAC Mid Season banter

sshabak:

Glad you started this thread. First some trivia:

Since 1962 Brown has never won an ECAC Tournament. They have been runner up 4 times
    Since 1962 Dartmouth has never won an ECAC tournament. They have been runner up 2 times
    Since 1962 Quinnipiac has never won an ECAC tournament. They have been runner up 1 time.

This is a crazy year in College Hockey. I don't know what to make out of it
    Last edited by Dutchman; 12-20-2014, 03:06 PM.
    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Hey,

We've been game-attending Harvard fans for a few years now. This season we decided to go see some away games as well, taking us to new-to-us arenas at Chestnut Hill, Comm Ave, Lowell, and Hamden, CT. Needless to say, we've been very pleased, and it's been fun to visit those places anyway.

Now I am somewhat new to following the polls closely, and it has seemed that despite a strong run, Harvard (with just one loss) is having a heck of a time ascending in the rankings among all those teams with 3 and 4 losses, or more. It seemed particularly strange when Harvard was way down in polls while having the second-most first place votes. I haven't seen much of the Midwest teams, of course, but what exactly does Harvard have to do to be ranked above BU, for example? Even if we argue that Hockey East is tougher, Harvard's beaten all the top teams in that conference, away, yes?

Very much looking forward to the second half, and we are ready with our Beanpot tickets certainly.

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
        Hey,

We've been game-attending Harvard fans for a few years now. This season we decided to go see some away games as well, taking us to new-to-us arenas at Chestnut Hill, Comm Ave, Lowell, and Hamden, CT. Needless to say, we've been very pleased, and it's been fun to visit those places anyway.

Now I am somewhat new to following the polls closely, and it has seemed that despite a strong run, Harvard (with just one loss) is having a heck of a time ascending in the rankings among all those teams with 3 and 4 losses, or more. It seemed particularly strange when Harvard was way down in polls while having the second-most first place votes. I haven't seen much of the Midwest teams, of course, but what exactly does Harvard have to do to be ranked above BU, for example? Even if we argue that Hockey East is tougher, Harvard's beaten all the top teams in that conference, away, yes?

Very much looking forward to the second half, and we are ready with our Beanpot tickets certainly.
        I would speculate play more games. Due to the Ivies always late start they are three weeks behind. Didn't they jump from #18 to #9 in one week, then #9 to #4 the next week, then stay at #4 for one week ? Give them time.
        It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Isn't this supposed to be a banter thread? Where's all the smack talk?!

Someone verbally eviscerate someone! Come on!

Comment

Originally posted by Crimson on the Glass View Post
            I haven't seen much of the Midwest teams, of course, but what exactly does Harvard have to do to be ranked above BU
            Actually, if you consider the pairwise, Harvard is ranked higher than BU. As the season progresses, the coaches and sportswriters whose individual ratings make up the USCHO poll, will more often than not, conform their judgments to the pairwise. Harvard is now ranked fourth in the pairwise and Boston University is now ranked ninth. However, things are little more complicated. For example, Minnesota Duluth is ranked third in the pairwise with a 12 - 6 record. How can this happen when Harvard's record is 9 – 1? The pairwise takes into consideration the strength of schedule and not only how good your opponents are but also how good their opponents are. Teams with strong out of conference records are helped with the pairwise. Last year teams like Vermont and Colgate made the NCAA playoffs in part due to their outstanding out of conference records. Below are the current out of conference records, this year in the ECAC.

At the start of the season, the polls don't mean a lot. It takes time to make believers out of many sportswriters who may have selected Harvard to finish the year at the bottom of the standings. At this point there is not a strong correlation between pairwise and were a team stands in their USCHO poll.

Harvard has only 3 more nonconference games. The 6 Ivy League teams in the ECAC only have 7 out of conference games. Two of the remaining nonconference games on Harvard schedule are Beanpot games against Boston University and either Northeastern or Boston College.

It would help if our conference performed better in out of conference matchups going forward. For example, Robert Morris has a record of 11–2–3 but is 21st in pairwise due to their leagues (AHA) weakness. Given our record thus far it is not likely that we will fare any better for the remainder of the out of conference schedule.

37-34-4 OOC when counting OOC against non-league opponents

Who is helping > or = .500 in OOC
            For these 8 teams, their OOC record is an outstanding 29-12-2

HARVARD 4-0-0 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 3
            DARTMOUTH 3-0-0 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 4
            YALE 2-0-0 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 4
            UNION 6-2-0 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 4
            BROWN 2-1-0 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 4
            COLGATE 6-4-0 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 2
            QUINNIPIAC 4-3-1 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 4
            CORNELL 2-2-1 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 2

Who is not helping < .500 in OOC
            For these four teams, their OOC record is a very dismal 8-22-2

ST. LAWRENCE 3-5-0 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 2
            PRINCETON 1-3-1 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 1
            CLARKSON 2-6-1 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 1
            RPI 2-8-1 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 2

Harvard needs to stay focused and stay healthy.
            Last edited by Dutchman; 12-20-2014, 03:05 PM.
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
              Isn't this supposed to be a banter thread? Where's all the smack talk?!

Someone verbally eviscerate someone! Come on!
              Clarkson still sucks!

Happy?
              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                Clarkson still sucks!

Happy?
                That's more like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Clarkson still sucks!

Happy?
                  RIP! RIP!
                  & Dutchman, sorry about our OOC - maybe Ralph is right (at least some of the time)
                  Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
                  Clarkson 1990

Comment

ECAC - Not the "cupcakes" any more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flpV...nlCyMJPxcUYL5w

Year ECAC record in the NCAAs
                    2000 1-2
                    2001 0-1
                    2002 0-1
                    2003 2-2
                    2004 1-3
                    2005 1-3
                    2006 1-2
                    2007 0-2
                    2008 1-2
                    2009 1-3
                    2010 1-2
                    2011 1-3
                    2012 3-2 F4 (1)
                    2013 8-2 F4 (2)
                    2014 4-2 F4 (1)
                    2015 ?

How do we keep this going?
                    Last edited by Dutchman; 12-18-2014, 03:24 PM.
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

It was funny I and all my Yale friends complained about our weak OOC schedule before the season began. Now we get two of the toughest OOC games coming up against VT and HVD. I think Yales record is actually better than the team. Lyon and the defense have been keeping them in games. Unfortunately, there has been little to no offensive firepower as in years past. The second half of the ECAC schedule is going to be one huge slugfest, with God knows who coming out on top, i just hope two or three teams survive enough to make another good showing in the NCAA's.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

ECAC in the USCHO PairWise 12-19-2014

PRW
                        4 Harvard
                        15 Yale
                        18 Q
                        19 Dartmouth
                        20 Colgate
                        22 Cornell
                        25 Union
                        25 St. Lawrence
                        30 Clarkson
                        40 RPI
                        45 Brown
                        52 Princeton

If we assume that the season ended today and the AHA sent two teams of the 16 and Harvard won the ECAC tournament, we would have one team in the NCAA tournament, Harvard. For the remainder of non-conference play, Union, Colgate, Cornell, Harvard, Dartmouth, Brown have tournaments. In looking at schedules and how well we have done so far, IMO things can actually get worse. IMO I see us (ECAC) drifting lower in comparison to other leagues. We cannot assume that we are going to improve our non-conference play and we cannot assume that other leagues will kill themselves off at a rate faster than we kill ourselves off. We are going to have to wait for another year for a FF that features all ECAC teams like the hockey gods alwasy intended it

The ECAC has IMO no systemic advantages as a league, over other leagues, and has some disadvantages, especially in its notion of a "student athlete" and admissions and this disparity will only get wider when other leagues start paying their athletes, which the ECAC will never do. However, some individual schools have the resources and will and coaching to build and maintain powerful programs.

BTW I think Yale and Dartmouth will beat Vermont. Vermont SOS is 30 in the RPI and 42 in the KRACH and Yale is 16 in the RPI and 26 in the KRACH.

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/compare/
                        Last edited by Dutchman; 12-20-2014, 03:04 PM.
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          BTW I think Yale and Dartmouth will beat Vermont. Vermont SOS is 30 in the RPI and 42 in the KRACH and Yale is 16 in the RPI and 26 in the KRACH.
                          You also thought you would wipe the floor with RPI because of this mumbo-jumbo, not to mention getting shut out by Bentley. There's a reason the games are played.

Comment

I am excited for the Ledyard Bank Tournament, Dartmouth and Brown both get quality games against BC and Denver. I am not sure how they crown a champion, I believe the opponents are determined already. This is going to have a big impact on the PWR for my team (Dartmouth). They have come so close to making the NCAA tournament is the past 10+ years. This could be the team that breaks the long streak of being on the outside of the fortunate teams selected to play for the title. Man, if they win them both it would go a long way to help them finally get back in the NCAA tourney. I know the other ECAC teams will be rooting for Brown and Dartmouth because it effects the whole conference, win, lose or tie. I wish I could be there but I will be cheering on Brown and Dartmouth from the Philippines. Go all ECAC teams and best of luck in your respective OOC tourney games. If you want some banter Flag, Harvard still sucks! Is that good enough? All kidding aside, they are having an awesome year and I hope they keep winning and that includes the Beanpot. Cheers !

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                              ECAC in the USCHO PairWise 12-19-2014

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/compare/

You haven't seen UVM play I assume? They can roll 4 lines and the top D pair is one of the best out there. They are on the road for both of the games so they will be tough. UVM is 7-0 for non HE games (but might lose one to PC coming up tomorrow if they play like they did today).

UVM Split with UConn and is 4-0 vs SLU and Clarkson , Yale Beat UConn and Tied Clarkson and Lost to SLU (Uconn has beaten Q and Union)

No comps vs Dartmouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X