College Hockey Demographics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• College Hockey Demographics

I put together some demographics for college hockey this season that I thought people might be interested in. Took a look at which countries, states/provinces, and cities college hockey players this season come from. Also took a look at where a majority of the points this season have come from. Keep in mind, stats are as of last week.

In the next part I plan to break the points down among just the top X number of players from each country/state/province to see if anything noticeable comes from that, and touch on some recruiting trends and a few other things that have jumped out at me.

If anyone has any requests on things you'd like me to cover or look at, let me know. Have the data loaded, just need to build the queries.

Enjoy!

2014-15 College Hockey Demographics Part I

2014-15 College Hockey Demographics Part II
    Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 12-20-2014, 07:13 AM.
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Re: College Hockey Demographics

If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

In all seriousness, though, that's a good breakdown.

I'm continually impressed with how many players come out of Illinois.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
        In all seriousness, though, that's a good breakdown.

I'm continually impressed with how many players come out of Illinois.
        Thanks! Florida and Texas really jumped out at me. Demographics have really changed in the last 10+ years.

Comment

Follow the money when it comes to the Minnesota cities.

Comment

You might also want to normalize the state and city figures by the population of the state and city.
            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
              You might also want to normalize the state and city figures by the population of the state and city.
              Great suggestion! I will do that in next part for sure. Thanks!

Comment

Is a demographic skew based on each teams level of play? I mean if 6 guys from Texas go to play for Bentley that's not the same as if they were going to play for BC.
                PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                  Is a demographic skew based on each teams level of play? I mean if 6 guys from Texas go to play for Bentley that's not the same as if they were going to play for BC.
                  Well, there are also 2 MN kids playing for Mercyhurst, 2 playing fir Bentley, 7 playing for Air Force, 1 playing for Canisius, 1 playing for Niagara, 3 playing for Holy Cross, 2 playing for American International, and 4 playing for Army. So top states like MN have players playing for Atlantic Hockey teams too.

As for Texas players, there are currently 5 players from Texas playing in Hockey East (Providence has one, BU has one, UConn has two, and Vermont has one), 5 players playing in the NCHC (Miami has two, Western Michigan has one, and Colorado College has two), 6 players playing in the Atlantic Conference (Army has four, Robert Morris has one, and American International has one), 1 player playing in the B10 (1 with Ohio State), and 1 player playing in the ECAC with QU.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                    If anyone has any requests on things you'd like me to cover or look at, let me know. Have the data loaded, just need to build the queries.
                    2014-15 College Hockey Demographics
                    Nice Work !!!! Great to have the facts. I thought all the great players only came from Minnesota Who knew?
                    Have you noticed any trending over the years? Are you seeing any changes in demographics over the past 15-20 years?
                    DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                    DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

My first thought when seeing this thread was a giant .

Which is completely fair based upon the history of the alter ego around these parts.

Good stuff though.

Interesting and somewhat surprising to me what the numbers are. Honestly would have thought Minnesota would be higher than 12(ish)% and never would have guessed Ontario to be that high although it is close geographically to a ton of schools out east.

One question I would have though is what the criteria is for determining where a kid is from. Take Illinois for instance. Are those players born and bred there or did they move there after some youth hockey elsewhere to play AAA or juniors. have a few friends who left the Capitols and Jr. Admirals to do just that.

Also, while interesting to see where the points in college hockey come from, that doesn't outline the good defensive defensemen or goaltenders. Would be interesting to somehow see those also.

Comment

Agree with points being only a piece, also have a desire for per capita type numbers, and also curious about the data source. Collegehockeystats?

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                          Nice Work !!!! Great to have the facts. I thought all the great players only came from Minnesota Who knew?
                          Have you noticed any trending over the years? Are you seeing any changes in demographics over the past 15-20 years?
                          Thanks! Just going by what I remember from some pieces that INCH did some years back. I'll try to dig those up and do a comparison in my next piece. Great suggestion!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            My first thought when seeing this thread was a giant .

Which is completely fair based upon the history of the alter ego around these parts.

Good stuff though.

Interesting and somewhat surprising to me what the numbers are. Honestly would have thought Minnesota would be higher than 12(ish)% and never would have guessed Ontario to be that high although it is close geographically to a ton of schools out east.

One question I would have though is what the criteria is for determining where a kid is from. Take Illinois for instance. Are those players born and bred there or did they move there after some youth hockey elsewhere to play AAA or juniors. have a few friends who left the Capitols and Jr. Admirals to do just that.

Also, while interesting to see where the points in college hockey come from, that doesn't outline the good defensive defensemen or goaltenders. Would be interesting to somehow see those also.
                            Thanks Gurt.

I pulled my data from the Internet, so I didn't do much of any scrubbing with regards to hometown. Guessing there are some discrepencies in regards to what was listed as a player's "hometown" and where they were born, etc...

Great suggestion on the goaltending, defense stats. Really wish someone kept more detailed stats for college hockey (I've wanted to calculate true Fenwick and Corsi for a while now), but I'll see what I can do.
                            Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 12-16-2014, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                              Agree with points being only a piece, also have a desire for per capita type numbers, and also curious about the data source. Collegehockeystats?
                              Correct. CollegeHockeyStats. Used Hockeydb and EliteHockeyProspects to fill in some missing data. Will definitely try and add some per capita stuff in the next piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X