Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boone vs tGoons Mile High City #1 North Dakota @ #11 Denver University 12/12-12/13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boone vs tGoons Mile High City #1 North Dakota @ #11 Denver University 12/12-12/13

The Whiouxs come to visit the Jelly Doughnuts with UND trailing Miami and Duluth in the NCHC standings by 5 points. A sweep by UND puts them solely into first place with Duluth playing MTU and Miami already having started their Christmas break. The only thing that is certain this weekend is that UND will have more fans in the building than DU. Whioux sweeps? Better be UND.
    "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
    Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
    The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
    Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Re: Boone vs tGoons Mile High City #1 North Dakota @ #11 Denver University 12/12-12/1

I don't know about "more fans in the stands", but it will be close without the students. Pios sweep.

r

Comment

Re: Boone vs tGoons Mile High City #1 North Dakota @ #11 Denver University 12/12-12/1

Seems like another likely NCHC split. I'll be in the building Saturday night. Looking forward to some great hockey this weekend!
      http://blogofbrotherhood.com

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
        I don't know about "more fans in the stands", but it will be close without the students. Pios sweep.

r
        Well if you count empty seats as DU fans, sure.

UND moiders the Manifest Destiny Bastiges
        Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
        when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
        Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty View Post
          Well if you count empty seats as DU fans,
          I believe they always have before.

Comment

Originally posted by willythekid View Post
            I believe they always have before.
            They do seem to make the most noise of all DU fans, so I can see why the administration would want them counted.
            Hollywood Hair Care Tip for Infinity (Directly from Hollywood himself)
            when its minus 20 and u have to go outside.. make sure u wear a winter hat as the mohawk does not enjoy the winter weathe(r)
            Hollywood Amazingness

Comment

UND will be playing without Troy Stecher who is out 6-8 weeks and won't be back until presumably the DU series in Grand Forks. The good news is that even with Stecher out UND will have home ice advantage at Engelstad South.
              "The man who smiles when something has gone wrong just thought of someone to blame it on." Robert Bloch
              Discontinued Program:http://s.ecrater.com/stores/70443/48...70e_70443n.jpg
              The goofs might suck, but Happy swallows.
              Brooks told me he added something to the effect that, “if you want to go into business, go to Harvard; if you want to be a hockey player, go to North Dakota...”

Comment

Since the 2002-3 season there's only one season sweep --10 years ago--2004-5--when the Pioneers swept the formerly known as Fighting Sioux(fka FS).

4/7/05
                fka FS 1 DU 2 (ot)

3/18/05
                fka FS 1 DU 4

2/5/05
                Denver 4 fkaFS 2

02/04/2005
                Denver 4 fkaFS 2

Only fitting DU repeats the victories on the 10th anniversary of the season sweep!
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by cross cheque View Post
                  UND will be playing without Troy Stecher who is out 6-8 weeks and won't be back until presumably the DU series in Grand Forks. The good news is that even with Stecher out UND will have home ice advantage at Engelstad South.
                  Status of Caligula?

yes I know that's not his real name
                  GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
                    Status of Caligula?

yes I know that's not his real name
                    He should be playing.

Chyzyk is a maybe, I would guess. Supposedly he was practicing. No word that I've seen on St. Clair.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Since the 2002-3 season there's only one season sweep --10 years ago--2004-5--when the Pioneers swept the formerly known as Fighting Sioux(fka FS).

4/7/05
                      fka FS 1 DU 2 (ot)

3/18/05
                      fka FS 1 DU 4

2/5/05
                      Denver 4 fkaFS 2

02/04/2005
                      Denver 4 fkaFS 2

Only fitting DU repeats the victories on the 10th anniversary of the season sweep!
                      FWIW, those scores are wrong. Pretty sure the 3/18 and 4/7 games are swapped. I'd also point out that both of the regular season games that year were in Grand Forks too, but it was only a 2 game regular season series that year. The last 4 game regular season series sweep was in 1997-1998, when North Dakota took all four games.

North Dakota is 22-21-4 in the 47 games the two schools have played since the 2001-2002 season. In that time span, the teams have played:

1 NCAA National Championship Game (DU wins 4-1 in 2005)
                      2 NCAA Regional Finals (DU wins 1-0 in 2004* and North Dakota wins 6-1 in 2011)
                      2 WCHA Final Five Championship Games (North Dakota won 4-0 in 2012 and 3-2 (2ot) in 2011)
                      3 WCHA Final Five Semifinal Games (DU won 2-1 (ot) in 2005, and 3-1 in 2008, while North Dakota won 4-3 in 2010. The Team winning each of these games went on to win the Final Five)
                      1 WCHA First Round Series (North Dakota won 2 games to 1 in 2003, with both games 2 and 3 going to OT)

The programs have finished in the top half of their conference every season since 2003-2004, with the exception of last year. In other words, the games that these teams have played against each other are almost always very meaningful. It's been a great rivalry over the past decade.

* I regard the 2004 Regional Final between North Dakota and Denver as the greatest college hockey game I ever saw. It was 60 minutes of absolutely beautiful hockey, with both teams playing their game to perfection. North Dakota hit a couple of posts, and Denver scored one of the flukiest goals I have ever seen to win it (similar to the BU goal that won them the national title over Miami in '09). Of course, had that goal not gone in, the teams might still be playing right now. It wasn't the result that I wanted, but I knew that DU would go on to win the title after that game.
                      North Dakota
                      National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                        FWIW, those scores are wrong. Pretty sure the 3/18 and 4/7 games are swapped. I'd also point out that both of the regular season games that year were in Grand Forks too, but it was only a 2 game regular season series that year. The last 4 game regular season series sweep was in 1997-1998, when North Dakota took all four games.

North Dakota is 22-21-4 in the 47 games the two schools have played since the 2001-2002 season. In that time span, the teams have played:

1 NCAA National Championship Game (DU wins 4-1 in 2005)
                        2 NCAA Regional Finals (DU wins 1-0 in 2004* and North Dakota wins 6-1 in 2011)
                        2 WCHA Final Five Championship Games (North Dakota won 4-0 in 2012 and 3-2 (2ot) in 2011)
                        3 WCHA Final Five Semifinal Games (DU won 2-1 (ot) in 2005, and 3-1 in 2008, while North Dakota won 4-3 in 2010. The Team winning each of these games went on to win the Final Five)
                        1 WCHA First Round Series (North Dakota won 2 games to 1 in 2003, with both games 2 and 3 going to OT)

The programs have finished in the top half of their conference every season since 2003-2004, with the exception of last year. In other words, the games that these teams have played against each other are almost always very meaningful. It's been a great rivalry over the past decade.

* I regard the 2004 Regional Final between North Dakota and Denver as the greatest college hockey game I ever saw. It was 60 minutes of absolutely beautiful hockey, with both teams playing their game to perfection. North Dakota hit a couple of posts, and Denver scored one of the flukiest goals I have ever seen to win it (similar to the BU goal that won them the national title over Miami in '09). Of course, had that goal not gone in, the teams might still be playing right now. It wasn't the result that I wanted, but I knew that DU would go on to win the title after that game.
                        You obviously delved far deeper than I did.
                        Many consider the 2004 Regional Final one of the best college hockey games EVER!

Even though we are both looking at the 2000s, the intense rivalry goes back to Murray Armstrong's era. The two teams played in 3 NCAA Championship games--1958 (DU's 1st), 1963 and 1968-- in a 10 year period.

And in that 1st round WCHA series, if the league hadn't stopped using the Total Goals over 2 games, DU would have won 6-4.
                        GO DU !!!

Comment

You obviously delved far deeper than I did.
                          Many consider the 2004 Regional Final one of the best college hockey games EVER!

Even though we are both looking at the 2000s, the intense rivalry goes back to Murray Armstrong's era. The two teams played in 3 NCAA Championship games--1958 (DU's 1st), 1963 and 1968-- in a 10 year period.

And in that 1st round WCHA series, if the league hadn't stopped using the Total Goals over 2 games, DU would have won 6-4.
                          It truly has been a great rivalry, and it has been my favorite rivalry for quite some time now.

As for last night, that was a very disappointing game from my perspective. North Dakota came out flat, and the Jelly Doughnuts definitely wanted it more. The Sioux struggled to win loose pucks, missed a lot of easy passes, and looked lethargic for most of the first two periods. It didn't help either that MacMillan got jobbed on the checking from behind major (certainly a penalty, but no way was that a major). Denver did a pretty good job of keeping North Dakota along the boards, and the Jelly Doughnut's goalie was solid (although he did leave a few juicy rebounds that somehow managed to hop over sticks). Overall, I thought Denver played about as good as the #11 team in the country should...unfortunately, North Dakota played nowhere near the level of a top 10 team. Kudos to the Jelly Doughnuts...and I really enjoyed the constant advertisements appealing to school spirit, urging the crowd to "shake your jelly."

Hopefully North Dakota comes out tonight and plays well. If they do that, I can live with any result.
                          North Dakota
                          National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

DU really had the refs in their back pocket last night, but I'm not sure it made all that much of a difference. UND needs to learn to play more than 20 minutes of 60 minute game.

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                              It truly has been a great rivalry, and it has been my favorite rivalry for quite some time now.
                              Overall, I thought Denver played about as good as the #11 team in the country should...unfortunately, North Dakota played nowhere near the level of a top 10 team.
                              Had you said:
                              "...unfortunately, North Dakota played nowhere near the level of a #1 team." It could be considered a backhanded compliment to the Pios, but N-0-0-0-0-0

But seriously, I expect the fka Sioux to come out "hot" tonight. And MacMillan certainly adds some punch--fiquratively. BTW, Stickney initially thought the MacMillan penalty was for knee on knee hit on Loney.

Hoping the Pios keep their composure and step it up and meet the challenge with another win.
                              Last edited by vizoroo; 12-13-2014, 01:44 PM.
                              GO DU !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X