Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minnesota Golden Gophers 2014-2015: Biggest Underachievement in History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    Nobody is "ripping" on Northeastern. In fact I congratulated them in my very first post and they do have some quality players like Kevin Roy that I think quite highly of. But I'll concede you do have a point in that I could have titled this thread as Northeasern Hockey: Greatest Statistical Upset in History? (which I still believe it is) But that just seems like much less fun to me.

I'm not sure how Bucky's standing plays into it, and while there are two or three threads additional threads started by gophers to discuss the Badgers shortcomings so far, I don't mind discussing it here if you guys insist. Bucky isn't at the bottom, AIC is below us in RPI and rightfully so. I feel confident in saying the Badgers could beat them in a weekend series. Probably. Niagra might be a different story...

But unlike the goofs, we haven't lost to a lower ranked team all season! And I certainly expect that overachieving trend to continue.
    Translation: Considering the state of your program (second to last in the Pairwise, half empty arena, program is bleeding top recruits, etc...) our misgivings are all you have. We get it
    @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
    On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
    High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Re: Minnesota Golden Gophers 2014-2015: Biggest Underachievement in History?

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
      Translation: Considering the state of your program (second to last in the Pairwise, half empty arena, program is bleeding top recruits, etc...) our misgivings are all you have. We get it
      Well, on the other hand, there's also this:

Now I don't know who this "unknown" character is, but I do know he's quoted one heck of a lot, so people generally must think he's got something going on.

So despite his poor punctuation, if we're to take unknown's word for it, Wisco can be no worse than #34, and the gofers no better than #51.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

But unlike the goofs, we haven't lost to a lower ranked team all season! And I certainly expect that overachieving trend to continue.
        You have this amazing grasp on the obvious. When there is only one team "below" you (according to PWR rankings though you are actually tied) and you don't play them at all, you are correct. It will be difficult for a lower ranked team to beat bucky. But at least you seem to have the realization by very clearly implying that bucky's home is pretty much near the bottom this year. Most can't stomach talking about your team, so joining the obsession most everyone else has by talking about us. Makes perfect sense to me.

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
          Aren't you being a little generous with the "half empty" part of this post?
          "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

The one thing that did amuse me in this thread was the couple of posters who read the title and just naturally assumed this was the regular gofer season thread.
            Don't flatter yourself. You didn't even use the right smiley....
            "It ain't over, baby! And that took only six seconds!"

USCHO gives me another reason to not do work while I am at work.

Everything is Hill's fault.....

"Hakstol you hack!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by gopher wes View Post
              Aren't you being a little generous with the "half empty" part of this post?
              Pity overcame me, so I embelished

I don't think how truely horse crap his program has become has really sunk in with Wisko yet.
              Last edited by mnstate0fhockey; 12-05-2014, 11:22 AM.
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Nobody is "ripping" on Northeastern. In fact I congratulated them in my very first post and they do have some quality players like Kevin Roy that I think quite highly of. But I'll concede you do have a point in that I could have titled this thread as Northeasern Hockey: Greatest Statistical Upset in History? (which I still believe it is) But that just seems like much less fun to me.

I'm not sure how Bucky's standing plays into it,....
                You're not?

Well, let me hold your hand, my good man!

Name another program in NCAA D1 hockey history that went from a top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament to the 59th ranked team.

In the same year.

That's a far greater fall from grace.

And that's not a one game evaluation, that's from a larger sample size.

Which makes it far more significant.

And just out of curiosity, what were the BADgers ranked when they lost - at home - to a then Penn State club team?

That could be the answer that you seek.

Comment

Originally posted by Go4PuckFan2.0 View Post
                  You're not?

Well, let me hold your hand, my good man!

Name another program in NCAA D1 hockey history that went from a top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament to the 59th ranked team.

In the same year.

That's a far greater fall from grace.

And that's not a one game evaluation, that's from a larger sample size.

Which makes it far more significant.

And just out of curiosity, what were the BADgers ranked when they lost - at home - to a then Penn State club team?

That could be the answer that you seek.
                  You make a good point, although obviously we lost 13 guys and 90% of our scoring. You lost what? Condon and Shibrowski from a 5 loss team?

A one game evaluation---> Well you are 1-4 in your last 5, including losing to the U-18's and NU. Your only win coming against a BC team that is 3-6 in their last 9. Now I don't think you'll necessarily make #59, but you're certainly not headed upwards at the moment. And I'm sure your not trying to argue you're satisfied

The Badgers were 14-11-5 at the time of the PSU loss, so I highly doubt it qualifies. So far nobody has come up with a greater disparity then the MN-NU game, and I don't think it exists. Gopher's are the proud owners of the biggest underachievement in tourney history and now in the regular season as well. Oh sure, maybe it's just another record to you guys, but I think it deserves some real recognition here.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

A one game evaluation---> Well you are 1-4 in your last 5, including losing to the U-18's and NU. Your only win coming against a BC team that is 3-6 in their last 9. Now I don't think you'll necessarily make #59, but you're certainly not headed upwards at the moment. And I'm sure your not trying to argue you're satisfied

When you're at the bottom, you have no way to go but up. Still given that, you've only managed to overtake a single team. Quite an accomplishment. Wait... no it really isn't. Even if we were in a complete freefall you would never overtake us because we have already more then doubled your likely season win total. Or is that giving WI too much credit? Probably.

Comment

You make a good point, although obviously we lost 13 guys and 90% of our scoring. You lost what? Condon and Shibrowski from a 5 loss team?
                      That's your staff's fault with the unbalanced classes. Just face it, your recruiting is not great right now and ours is overall probably top three in the nation. Wisconsin youth hockey is brutal so you'll always be fighting an uphill battle.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggsy View Post
                        When you're at the bottom, you have no way to go but up. Still given that, you've only managed to overtake a single team. Quite an accomplishment. Wait... no it really isn't. Even if we were in a complete freefall you would never overtake us because we have already more then doubled your likely season win total. Or is that giving WI too much credit? Probably.
                        Oh come on Tiggsy, given each team's circumstances on paper coming in, if Wisco were to finish ahead of goofy this year it would probably be an even bigger underachievement for you guys then this last one. Of course I do understand that with out a Wisconsin born kid to lead your team you probably do have much lower expectations, but still...
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

It was a top 5 all time loss. Not surprised. Now can we all move on or do we need to continue the urination contest?
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                            That's your staff's fault with the unbalanced classes. Just face it, your recruiting is not great right now and ours is overall probably top three in the nation. Wisconsin youth hockey is brutal so you'll always be fighting an uphill battle.
                            Agreed. And to be serious for one second, I do feel good about the kids we have this year and have coming in. We'll be back in the race soon, but this is most certainly at the heart of all Badger frustration.

And now back to work:

Gopher Hockey: Doing less with more for nearly a century!
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              It was a top 5 all time loss. Not surprised. Now can we all move on or do we need to continue the urination contest?
                              Not sure we can move on yet. Wisco McB seems pretty intent to continue this and there's enough of us to keep him busy. Too bad he couldn't find any other bucky fans to help him out here, but they seem to realize bucky is a lost cause this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                                Probably, unless Wisco or Goofy loses tonight, then probably not.
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X