Alaska @ MSU Mankato: 12/5 and 12/6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska @ MSU Mankato: 12/5 and 12/6

First trip to Mankato for the Nanooks in the D1 era.

Mavericks coming in winning 6 in a row and 9 of 10.

Nanooks split the last 2 series.

Originally posted by Chris Clark Fan Club View Post

Excited about this series for a number of reasons: 1. Home again after 4 weeks!; 2. A chance to see Parayko in person. He looks good on the small screen, but it's hard to follow defenseman on WCHAtv; 3. From a geek's perspective, I think Alaska has the coolest road uniforms

Comment

Re: Alaska @ MSU Mankato: 12/5 and 12/6

We have looked a bit better lately since the NCAA bomb went off, but we are wildly inconsistent defensively. The talent is there to get points at Mankato, but it depends on which version of the Nanooks show up.

Of note, Tyler Morley has been on a tear. Averaging about a point per game since his season debut.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Back at home, it better be a sweep.
        AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Too long without live hockey. Can't wait!
          My guy is a hard-nosed hockey player who is not afraid to crash the net. Your guy is a goon who runs the goalie.

Comment

I think Alaska hit a swoon when the NCAA brought the hammer down. They are much better than their record. With that being said, the Mavs are going to be a tough team to beat. They are playing great hockey, and I expect that trend to continue.

Originally posted by Chris Clark Fan Club View Post

Comment

Originally posted by MAVSFAN4EVER View Post
              I think Alaska hit a swoon when the NCAA brought the hammer down. They are much better than their record. With that being said, the Mavs are going to be a tough team to beat. They are playing great hockey, and I expect that trend to continue.
              The potential's still there for them to be quite good. From what I seem to recall of most NCAA teams of all sports who get hit with sanctions before or during a season, the year usually involves a hot start ("We'll show them all! This next game is our national championship game!"), a fallow period (The existential, "What are we doing here?" phase), and then a finish somewhere in between. I think Alaska will find themselves and still post a top 5 WCHA finish. The Morleys seem to be getting it together. I just hope the team finds itself starting next week.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                The potential's still there for them to be quite good. From what I seem to recall of most NCAA teams of all sports who get hit with sanctions before or during a season, the year usually involves a hot start ("We'll show them all! This next game is our national championship game!"), a fallow period (The existential, "What are we doing here?" phase), and then a finish somewhere in between. I think Alaska will find themselves and still post a top 5 WCHA finish. The Morleys seem to be getting it together. I just hope the team finds itself starting next week.
                Except we started 5-1, then got swept at Bemidji, and then the NCAA ruling happened. BGSU was our first series after the ruling and we got swept, and looked bad doing it.

We've looked better since BGSU, but not much better than our current .500 record. There's little doubt in my mind the NCAA ruling hammered this team mentally. About all that is left to play for, besides pride, is the Governors Cup against Anchorage.

****, that was a depressing post.
                “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                  Except we started 5-1, then got swept at Bemidji, and then the NCAA ruling happened. BGSU was our first series after the ruling and we got swept, and looked bad doing it.

We've looked better since BGSU, but not much better than our current .500 record. There's little doubt in my mind the NCAA ruling hammered this team mentally. About all that is left to play for, besides pride, is the Governors Cup against Anchorage.

So you know if the University appealed the NCAA decision? I know the deadline has passed to do so.
                  Originally Posted by aparch
                  I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
                    About all that is left to play for, besides pride, is the Governors Cup against Anchorage.

And gonna be more depressing after the Seawolves sweep the dump bears in the Governors Cup

Comment

Originally posted by Suze View Post
                      So you know if the University appealed the NCAA decision? I know the deadline has passed to do so.
                      Don't know for sure but I am guessing not.

Comment

I heard they started to...but somehow they screwed up all the paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                          Touché

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                            I haven't laughed that loudly in a long time...

This is going to be gut check weekend. Let's see if we can put a couple of games together.

Of note, Nolan Youngmun made the trip. Expected to play. First action for him since being injured at practice on the road just before Bemidji.
                            Visit the Alaska Nanooks Hockey Blog at http://nanookhockey.blogspot.com

Comment

A 100% Youngmun adds a lot to our team. Probably my favorite player. In his first series back I just hope he quickly starts to build strength and confidence and get back into game mode.

Comment

Working...
                              X