Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mtu @ uah 11/28-11/29 *** the inaugural wcha big southern classic turkey tussle ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mtu @ uah 11/28-11/29 *** the inaugural wcha big southern classic turkey tussle ***

That's right folks - it's an event bigger than Black Jersey Friday and more important that Small School Saturday - it's a battle of two D-I hockey leftovers the day after the big feast. Watch all the football you want on Thursday, but the weekend belongs to hockey!

Tech needs to figure out a way to engineer two wins, but not over think the game plan - it's not rocket science. Freeze that canned cranberry gel crap nobody eats and then slice it into one inch thick pucks and let's have some Southern hockey hospitality in Huntsville. Maybe the cranberry streak left on the ice will look like the old FoxTraxx pucks of the 1990s...

I'll be attending in person to ensure Tech bounces back from their double "L" weekend and gets back in the "W" column. Hopefully they make it home in time for Cyber Monday with four points.

In the anals of history people are going to be talking about three things: the discovery of fire, invention of the submarine, and the Turkey Tussle. ~ Jackie Moon

Go Tech!
    Ryan J

PS Can someone explain to me why the use of consecutive upper case letters is not allowed on this board???
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Re: Mtu @ uah 11/28-11/29 *** the inaugural wcha big southern classic turkey tussle

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post

In the anals of history...
    I don't even want to know. I figure throughout all of history there have been a *lot* of anals.

You will be attending in person? Impressive. Is this the only thing that brings you to Huntsville? Perhaps attending the Big Southern Classic Turkey Tussle is a life long dream? Heard about the amazing food options at the VBC? Want to see the Chargers play in their very-nearly-almost-entirely-devoid-of-blue hockey sweaters?

Saturday's crowd will be much diminished. while you tried to allocate football to Thursday, in Alabama the only football that matters locally will be on Saturday night in Tuscaloosa. I wonder if they will announce the Alabama/Auburn score during the hockey game? I don't care myself but this is a place that advertises having the football game on for weddings in Sept/Oct/Nov and the like. Crazy!

cpp

UAH
    Last edited by ChargerPowerPlay; 11-24-2014, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Re: Mtu @ uah 11/28-11/29 *** the inaugural wcha big southern classic turkey tussle

Huntsville eats things. I have this on good authority.
      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by ChargerPowerPlay View Post
        You will be attending in person? Impressive. Is this the only thing that brings you to Huntsville?
        Yes, hockey is all that matters... but I may find other things to do to occupy free hours on Saturday. With some new members in the WCHA now, it gives me the chance to road trip to some new venues.
        Ryan J

Comment

here are two other Tech fans attending. flew half way across the country. we like to visit all the WCHA arenas. realignment has us on the move again. we are dragging along two non hockey fan friends with us. Tech is holding an alumni gathering pre game on Saturday that is sold out. I've heard alum from within 500 miles of Huntsville are coming. Maybe we will outnumber the Charger fans?
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
            here are two other Tech fans attending. flew half way across the country. we like to visit all the WCHA arenas. realignment has us on the move again. we are dragging along two non hockey fan friends with us. Tech is holding an alumni gathering pre game on Saturday that is sold out. I've heard alum from within 500 miles of Huntsville are coming. Maybe we will outnumber the Charger fans?
            We debated the warm trip this year too... but after Thanksgiving last year was in Alaska... We decided we'd better stay home this year. We'll certainly be making the trip in the next few years.
            MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
              On Saturday you very well might. With the college football tussle down the road in Tuscaloosa, attendance will be light. As Geof has noted several times, Charger hockey attendance tends to improve after the end of college football season. Of course, that is dependent on actually having D1 home games in Jan-Feb. For those seasons out in the wilderness those were hard to come by.

Any Chargers people know if the pep band will make an appearance either night?

cpp

Comment

oh wow. the team bussed down. that's ... what ? ... 1000 miles?
                Boosh Factor 4

Comment

The guy who calls the games for UAH on WCHA.tv is hilarious. I can't wait to see how Blake "Polenta" plays tonight.

Comment

Interesting twist to UAH's intros - their starters actually leave the ice surface and re-emerge as they are introduced. I kinda like it.

Comment

He just spent a minute yelling at a guy outside the press box about his Koonitz? jersey. What the hell...
                      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Overall I really liked the facility. Of course UAH could use some more fans, but there is no better example than Tech to show that a few wins will put butts in the seats. I loved the tables and chairs around the glass. Great place to have a more social time at the game over a few beers. Tech was caught sleeping last nighton the shorty to open the game but seemed to carry the play after that point. However not until the empty net goal did MTU really put the game away and UAH certainly had their chances. I hope Tech can get an early lead tonight and save on my Rolaids budget a bit. Nice to meet some Southern Tech fans last night as well. I'll be sporting the black #20 Hietila jersey tonight and will be around the glass somewhere. Stopby and say hi - always nice to meet fellow posters.
                        Ryan J

Comment

Overall I really liked the facility. Of course UAH could use some more fans, but there is no better example than Tech to show that a few wins will put butts in the seats. I loved the tables and chairs around the glass. Great place to have a more social time at the game over a few beers. Tech was caught sleeping last nighton the shorty to open the game but seemed to carry the play after that point. However not until the empty net goal did MTU really put the game away and UAH certainly had their chances. I hope Tech can get an early lead tonight and save on my Rolaids budget a bit. Nice to meet some Southern Tech fans last night as well. I'll be sporting the black #20 Hietila jersey tonight and will be around the glass somewhere. Stopby and say hi - always nice to meet fellow posters.
                          Ryan J
                          I didn't read this until after the game or I would have come by. I agree nice arena, nice set up. not sure Dirk would agree, the press box is way up there, they may need binoculars to see the ice. more beer/wine/drink vendors than food. no band or students so atmosphere was a little staid. bet when its full the place really rocks. Von Braun is attached to the Embassy Suites by a walkway, so no parking problems. Huntsville is a cool town. I wish we could stay here longer so we could eat at more places. I'm very glad they are in our league and want to visit again. (is this USCHO or Trip advisor??? I forgot)
                          Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Ryan J
                            Dang, I spotted you but didn't know that it was you because I never read these series threads. We didn't really do them in the CHA, and then when we were independent, well ... anyhow, I spotted you on the glass and wondered who you were. Alas.

I look forward to some of y'all being down the next two seasons. I hope that you enjoyed your time in our town, especially since you got four league points. You caught our crowd at the worst time: our students were at home with their families, and then everyone was at home to watch the Iron Bowl. (It really was just about everyone. I went to Phil Sandoval's at 9:45 p.m., and the only three dinner guests were me and the two friends that I was with. The handful of staff were there watching the game with one patron at the bar.)

Hopefully next time y'all will come down here in early February and will be wanting to escape the UP and/or whatever other Northern climes you're inhabiting these days. I love my city, and I'd be happy to show it off to you a little. I do need to do a better job when WCHA teams come to town of getting posters together for lunch on Saturday.

GFM
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                              Dang, I spotted you but didn't know that it was you because I never read these series threads. We didn't really do them in the CHA, and then when we were independent, well ... anyhow, I spotted you on the glass and wondered who you were. Alas.

I look forward to some of y'all being down the next two seasons. I hope that you enjoyed your time in our town, especially since you got four league points. You caught our crowd at the worst time: our students were at home with their families, and then everyone was at home to watch the Iron Bowl. (It really was just about everyone. I went to Phil Sandoval's at 9:45 p.m., and the only three dinner guests were me and the two friends that I was with. The handful of staff were there watching the game with one patron at the bar.)

Hopefully next time y'all will come down here in early February and will be wanting to escape the UP and/or whatever other Northern climes you're inhabiting these days. I love my city, and I'd be happy to show it off to you a little. I do need to do a better job when WCHA teams come to town of getting posters together for lunch on Saturday.

GFM
                              We will probably hit you up next year as I'm guessing Huntsville will be our road trip. Couldn't leave two thanksgivings in a row

Comment

Working...
                              X