Arizona State Moving To D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    Lacrosse is not a "major" sport and Johns Hopkins is a totally unique situation in lacrosse in that they are THE power in the sport much like Everest is THE mountain.

The Big 10 needed a 6th team to even have a conference league in lacrosse, a sport in which I have seen zero speculation about any other Big 10 school adding.

We're having a hard enough time finding 2 schools to add hockey in the Big 10. Johns Hopkins was a means to an end in a "minor" sport that nobody else was or is even looking at. Different situation, entirely.

My post emphasized MAJOR sports. With apologies to lacrosse fan (and, I like lacrosse--it is a hockey variant) it is far down the ladder rung, even, from hockey. And, I readily acknowledge that there is probably an element of people reading this post, even here at USCHO, that would argue that even hockey isn't a "major" NCAA sport.

I think it is, though.
    First, Johns Hopkins is no longer the power in lacrosse that they used to be. That and the growth of the sport was leaving them fewer teams to schedule, leading to them needing to join a league to remain a viable DI program.

Second, major or not, men's lacrosse is growing and championship weekend makes money for the NCAA.

Sean
    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
    BU Hockey highlights and extras
    NCAA Hockey Financials
    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
      Boston University also added men's lacrosse 2 years ago.

Sean
      Totally blanked on that! I knew I missed some
      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
        Actually, you are pretty far off here..lax is bigger than hockey in terms of more schools playing it and adding it yearly. Off the top of my head, Lowell, NJ Tech, Mercer, High Point, Furman, and Cleveland State have all added men's lacrosse in the last four years or start playing next year. I would expect Minnesota to start exploring too

Two schools have added hockey in ASU and Penn State.
        I submit that you that if Jay Leno was still hosting "The Tonight Show" and had an entire segment of "Jaywalking" devoted to showing actual lacrosse highlights to "the man-on-the-street", most people would NOT be able to identify the sport they were watching video of.

Whereas, nearly 100% would readily identify a hockey game if shown video of it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
          I submit that you that if Jay Leno was still hosting "The Tonight Show" and had an entire segment of "Jaywalking" devoted to showing actual lacrosse highlights to "the man-on-the-street", most people would NOT be able to identify the sport they were watching video of.

Whereas, nearly 100% would readily identify a hockey game if shown video of it.
          Let the record show that the NCAA Lax D-2 and D-3 finals last year had a higher attendance than the average of the D-1 CWS...
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
            Lacrosse is not a "major" sport and Johns Hopkins is a totally unique situation in lacrosse in that they are THE power in the sport much like Everest is THE mountain.

The Big 10 needed a 6th team to even have a conference league in lacrosse, a sport in which I have seen zero speculation about any other Big 10 school adding.

We're having a hard enough time finding 2 schools to add hockey in the Big 10. Johns Hopkins was a means to an end in a "minor" sport that nobody else was or is even looking at. Different situation, entirely.

My post emphasized MAJOR sports. With apologies to lacrosse fan (and, I like lacrosse--it is a hockey variant) it is far down the ladder rung, even, from hockey. And, I readily acknowledge that there is probably an element of people reading this post, even here at USCHO, that would argue that even hockey isn't a "major" NCAA sport.

I think it is, though.
            Not to mention that the Big Ten's CIC would love to bring in John Hopkins into that fold with them. Right now the CIC collectively graduates about 15 percent of doctors in the United States. And then you add in a direct access into the JHU system and the research they do there, only going to make them better. Its a lot better deal for the Big Ten presidents to allow in John Hopkins just for Lacrosse when they can get their undergrads access to John Hopkins.
            bueller: Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Why does Positrack work? Why does Ferris lose on the road and play dead at home?

It just happens.

nmupiccdiva: I'm sorry I missed you this weekend! I thought I saw you at the football game, but I didn't want to go up to a complete stranger and ask "are you Monster?" and have it not be you!

leswp1: you need the Monster to fix you

Life is active, find Balance!massage therapy Ann Arbor

Comment

Originally posted by darker98 View Post
              Me too. Them and the 2 Alaska schools would be a travel budget nightmare though
              Both Alaska schools pay for the large majority of travel costs for any and all visiting schools. All ASU has to do is the same ... then guess what? Nobody will ever whine again about the trip out to the big bad western half of the country. Oh wait ... yes they will because no matter how many times you tell them they don't get that it doesn't cost their team any more to go there than it does to visit some craphole like Toledo, Omaha or Grand Forks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                Let the record show that the NCAA Lax D-2 and D-3 finals last year had a higher attendance than the average of the D-1 CWS...
                Also let the record show that tickets for the D2 and D3 lax finals were probably sold in bulk with the D1 final and therefore skewed attendance numbers the same way that the regional tickets and doubleheader tickets are skewed in hockey. For example, Omaha-Providence was not sold out yet claimed an 18,022 attendance for a sell out at the Garden.

Likewise, the UND-BU game was probably 80% full but was listed as a sell-out. Why? Because you bought both tickets and then didn't stay for the second game or you bought both tickets as a unit and then didn't attend the first game. The majority of North Dakota fans were still at the bar for the bulk of the first game and didn't come until the third period.

So the lax finals attendance is skewed by that. While lacrosse is a growing sport, it's not bigger than hockey on a national scale. Roughly 717,000 people watched Union win the national title in '14. Slightly less watched BU-PC. Doesn't seem like a lot, but bear in mind that only La Liga beat out college hockey this year. I doubt you can say the same about the D1 lax championships.

We're not here to argue about the merits of lacrosse vs. hockey. I think you'll find many of us watch lacrosse. But trolling us to say that lacrosse is a bigger sport than hockey - on a hockey website? - is unbecoming of you.
                Clear eyes, full hearts, can't lose.

STAY UP #94 #58

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                  Also let the record show that tickets for the D2 and D3 lax finals were probably sold in bulk with the D1 final and therefore skewed attendance numbers the same way that the regional tickets and doubleheader tickets are skewed in hockey. For example, Omaha-Providence was not sold out yet claimed an 18,022 attendance for a sell out at the Garden.

Likewise, the UND-BU game was probably 80% full but was listed as a sell-out. Why? Because you bought both tickets and then didn't stay for the second game or you bought both tickets as a unit and then didn't attend the first game. The majority of North Dakota fans were still at the bar for the bulk of the first game and didn't come until the third period.

So the lax finals attendance is skewed by that. While lacrosse is a growing sport, it's not bigger than hockey on a national scale. Roughly 717,000 people watched Union win the national title in '14. Slightly less watched BU-PC. Doesn't seem like a lot, but bear in mind that only La Liga beat out college hockey this year. I doubt you can say the same about the D1 lax championships.

We're not here to argue about the merits of lacrosse vs. hockey. I think you'll find many of us watch lacrosse. But trolling us to say that lacrosse is a bigger sport than hockey - on a hockey website? - is unbecoming of you.
                  Yes, the D2 & D3 tickets are part of the Lax all-session packages, but 1) if you wait you don't have to buy them and 2) the games are on the off day between the semifinals and final and no one has to attend (when the games were at Gillette Stadium I skipped the D2 & D3 games).

As for TV ratings, nice how you mentioned 2014 and ignored 2013 and 2012. The annual HH watching the FF championship game the past seven years:
                  2015: 635,000 (Providence vs. Boston University)
                  2014: 717,000 (Union vs Minnesota)
                  2013: 402,000 (Yale vs. Quinnipiac)
                  2012: 353,000 (Boston College vs. Ferris State)**
                  2011: 624,000 (Minnesota Duluth vs. Michigan)
                  2010: 526,000 (Boston College vs. Wisconsin)
                  2009: 656,000 (Boston University vs. Miami)
                  **Game aired on ESPN2
                  Number is in households rather than estimated viewers. (I.E. 526,000 households watched in 2010 for an estimated 1.3M viewers.

That is an average of 515,000 HH. I haven't found ratings for the lacrosse championship other than 2014, which had 496,000 HH. However a direct comparison is not valid as the FF is on a Saturday night and the lacrosse championship is on Memorial Day afternoon.

Sean
                  Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                  Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                  BU Hockey highlights and extras
                  NCAA Hockey Financials
                  Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                  I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                    Both Alaska schools pay for the large majority of travel costs for any and all visiting schools. All ASU has to do is the same ... then guess what? Nobody will ever whine again about the trip out to the big bad western half of the country. Oh wait ... yes they will because no matter how many times you tell them they don't get that it doesn't cost their team any more to go there than it does to visit some craphole like Toledo, Omaha or Grand Forks.
                    Omaha is a pretty nice town. Outstanding actually. Grand Forks has a rink that is the best in college hockey. Your term to describe these towns more accurately describes the palace your team plays in. Oh, and nobody goes to Toledo except when they hosted a regional. U of Toledo has no hockey team.
                    Last edited by davyd83; 04-19-2015, 10:15 AM.
                    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Omaha is a pretty nice town. Outstanding actually. Grand Forks has a rink that is the best in college hockey. Your term to describe these towns more accurately describes the palace your team plays in. Oh, and nobody goes to Toledo except when they hosted a regional. U of Toledo has no hockey team.
                      I don't know what part of Omaha you have been to, but my experiences there have been universally negative. so just sayin...
                      MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Originally posted by Humanoid View Post
                        Here's the thing - Hockey is much different in terms of landscape than Lacrosse. And in terms of voting membership, there is no way Arizona State lands in the B1G because they won't have any voting rights.
                        I was of this opinion six months ago. Felt quite sure that there's no way ASU would end up in the B1G. Afterall, what does the B1G get out of it? Really not that much from my mind.

But Heppel, the big cheese in BTHC, changed my mind by suggesting that the B1G was actually woo'ing ASU:

"I think being in a conference with like institutions is important," Heppel said. "[Arizona State] is going to have to think about that from an institutional and sport perspective. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have a historic relationship."
                        Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by bigmrg74 View Post
                          Not to mention that the Big Ten's CIC would love to bring in John Hopkins into that fold with them. Right now the CIC collectively graduates about 15 percent of doctors in the United States. And then you add in a direct access into the JHU system and the research they do there, only going to make them better. Its a lot better deal for the Big Ten presidents to allow in John Hopkins just for Lacrosse when they can get their undergrads access to John Hopkins.
                          This is an important point. Academics is the key driver in almost all big ten decisions. Sports are small potatoes. And if ain't close. Academics can bring in billions while athletics tops out around $100-150 million.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                            You only have to drive through Grand Forks and Toledo (BGSU ya genius) to recognize they are both a craphole. Been there done that more than once.

As for Omaha ... lived there. It's a craphole. Mostly due to the other people that also live there.

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                              Well...they'll whine until they actually go to Tempe and realize that Tempe in January is way better to visit than any other city in college hockey.
                              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

• Originally posted by uaafanblog View Post
                                You only have to drive through Grand Forks and Toledo (BGSU ya genius) to recognize they are both a craphole. Been there done that more than once.

As for Omaha ... lived there. It's a craphole. Mostly due to the other people that also live there.
                                BGSU is in Bowling Green. 25 minutes from Toledo, (kind of like Chugiak & Anchorage) and it's a pretty decent town. If you're calling Omaha a craphole, like you do so many places, because of the people who live there, I sure hope people don't rate the beautiful city of Anchorage based on your charm.
                                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Working...
                                X