PDA

View Full Version : Arizona State Moving To D1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44

Spartanforlife4
09-30-2015, 06:48 PM
There's an article on ASU's website about their opener against Arizona in Glendale. At first I thought it might be a close one, given its a rivalry game and only their first game removed from club status. Then I read they're 47-1 in the last 48 and outscored them 37-7 last year, so probably not.

Red Cows
09-30-2015, 09:16 PM
Take it FWIW, but I'm a donor to Michigan's program and I've heard through the grapevine recently that Arizona State is in fact going to be added to the B1G as an affiliate member for hockey. There were discussions on group trips for alumni/donors to AZ for games. The same scenario where Johns Hopkins was added as an affiliate member to create the B1G's sponsorship of lacrosse.

Also that another full-time B1G member school is seriously looking to add hockey now that they have a facility that's in the works.

If this true, then Nebraska is the most obvious addition. I've said earlier in thread that the Big 10 should not and doesn't need to add affiliates in a "major" sport (a subjective term, for sure, where hockey is concerned in the NCAA) and the rationale for why I don't think they would, or, should. If they do it, I, for one, will very surprised. All the Huskers would need to do at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln is buy the actual ice making equipment. The necessary plumbing is already in the building.

Further, the Breslow Ice Arena, currently under construction right next door to Pinnacle Bank Arena (which would clearly be the practice ice for any Husker program), is well over 50% complete. I have not been in Lincoln and seen it for about a month, now, but the roof was on the arena the last time I saw it.

Nebraska, which is already under water on its ratio of men's-to-women's athletic scholarships, is going to have to add women's scholarships, if they are indeed "the school". One would hope they'd add women's hockey, too, as this would make for one-for-one on the scholarship side of things.

However, another player would seem to have surfaced:

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/local/2015/09/19/coralville-arena-team-tours-midwest/32555413/

http://www.press-citizen.com/story/news/local/2015/08/13/coralville-arena-tied-new-irl-development/31652023/

But this isn't breaking ground until June of 2016 and the anticipated completion date is spring of 2018--if it gets built. And that is provided that the Universityof Iowa has the finances available to add a men's hockey program and the women's scholarships they'd also have to add. Plus, the articles above describe this as a single sheet ice facility and not being University owned. Where would a hypothetical University of Iowa team practice when this venue is being used for other things? To say nothing of the potential for the university to not be in control of all the revenue streams in this facility. What kind of lease could they get from the City of Coralville? Part of the problem for UNO at the CenturyLink Center was that the finances of just this sort of arrangement were financially untenable and, competitively untenable, for recruiting reasons. To give you an idea, in the 4 days leading up to UNO's Frozen Four appearance last season in Boston before they left town, they had to practice in 4 different facilities here in Omaha. A different one each and every day!

Nebraska is way ahead in this overall race. They have a giant, giant piece of the puzzle already in place. The facilities. A place to play and a place to practice. Really, what other school, anywhere, that doesn't already have D-1 hockey, can say that? I reserve the right to be wrong about this but my guess would be that there are none.

LtPowers
10-01-2015, 04:13 PM
Nebraska is way ahead in this overall race. They have a giant, giant piece of the puzzle already in place. The facilities. A place to play and a place to practice. Really, what other school, anywhere, that doesn't already have D-1 hockey, can say that? I reserve the right to be wrong about this but my guess would be that there are none.

Syracuse?

Powers &8^]

joecct
10-02-2015, 05:43 AM
Syracuse?

Powers &8^]

Syracuse does not have a men's D-I facility.

Jimjamesak
10-02-2015, 02:32 PM
Syracuse does not have a men's D-I facility.
This is Syracuse we're talking about, they'd find a way to have a rink in the dome.

Sean Pickett
10-02-2015, 02:46 PM
This is Syracuse we're talking about, they'd find a way to have a rink in the dome.The question was what DI school without hockey has a rink already in place and ready to go. Syracuse does not, at least for DI men's hockey, considering their women's coach spoke out again recently about the women's team having to use the Rec. Dept.'s ice rink.

Sean

SunDevilBob
10-02-2015, 10:12 PM
Isn't Liberty currently building a D1 level rink?

Also ASU revealed 2 jerseys today. Which you can see here (http://www.statepress.com/article/2015/10/asa-hockey-releases-new-home-jerseys). If what I have been told previously is true there's two more unreleased so far, likely one maroon and one that's either gold or a special alternate like a Desert fuel-style gray and copper uniform.

vizoroo
10-02-2015, 10:57 PM
The B1G makes such a B1G deal about the academics and research their members have. Hopkins fits perfectly with that model. And the B1G touted that when Hopkins became the sixth and required member for Lacrosse. (Actually out performs some "full" members.)
No offense to SunDevilBoB, but ASU hardly meets that criteria. Nevertheless, not a surprise for PAC 12-BIG affiliation.
See post 210 of this thread.

Heard rumblings Notre Dame is not happy with Hockey East affiliation. So what if the Golden Domers and the Sun Devils took their gold and pucks to the NCHC as a package deal.
>Gives the Irish more leverage to keep their TV money which was a stumbling block before and don't have to play 2nd fiddle to BU-BC They also get to play more games in the Midwest.
>Respect for the Fork, not the ugly stepchild of the conference and other considerations?
>Irish and Sun Devils become marquee/nationally recognized names in the conference.

Why not?

cetihcra
10-03-2015, 12:05 AM
The B1G makes such a B1G deal about the academics and research their members have. Hopkins fits perfectly with that model. And the B1G touted that when Hopkins became the sixth and required member for Lacrosse. (Actually out performs some "full" members.)
No offense to SunDevilBoB, but ASU hardly meets that criteria. Nevertheless, not a surprise for PAC 12-BIG affiliation.

Heard rumblings Notre Dame is not happy with Hockey East affiliation. So what if the Golden Domers and the Sun Devils took their gold and pucks to the NCHC as a package deal.
>Gives the Irish more leverage to keep their TV money which was a stumbling block before and don't have to play 2nd fiddle to BU-BC They also get to play more games in the Midwest.
>Respect for the Fork, not the ugly stepchild of the conference and other considerations?
>Irish and Sun Devils become marquee/nationally recognized names in the conference.

Why not?

NCHC deal with CBS is a deal-breaker there, at least until that contract is up.

r

LtPowers
10-03-2015, 09:24 AM
The question was what DI school without hockey has a rink already in place and ready to go. Syracuse does not, at least for DI men's hockey, considering their women's coach spoke out again recently about the women's team having to use the Rec. Dept.'s ice rink.

Sean

They've got the War Memorial downtown. Is there some characteristic of the arena in Lincoln that differentiates it from the Syracuse War Memorial?

Powers &8^]

joecct
10-03-2015, 10:17 AM
Isn't Liberty currently building a D1 level rink?

Also ASU revealed 2 jerseys today. Which you can see here (http://www.statepress.com/article/2015/10/asa-hockey-releases-new-home-jerseys). If what I have been told previously is true there's two more unreleased so far, likely one maroon and one that's either gold or a special alternate like a Desert fuel-style gray and copper uniform.
Liberty is refurbishing LaHaye's rather odd seating arrangement to something that looks like a real hockey rink.

https://lujour220.wordpress.com/2015/03/25/4/

Spartanforlife4
10-03-2015, 03:12 PM
They've got the War Memorial downtown. Is there some characteristic of the arena in Lincoln that differentiates it from the Syracuse War Memorial?

Powers &8^]

People here before have said War Memorial is double booked with the Crunch and someone else. It would be almost impossible to put Cuse in there. I would say put a hockey rink on the other end of the dome from basketball, but they wouldn't be able to play at home until December every year and I'm pretty sure lacrosse uses that as their stadium, and baseball and basketball use it for training in the winter.

SunDevilBob
10-03-2015, 04:10 PM

Why not?
I agree ASU does not match the criteria set by Hopkins. My opinion on ASU possibly joining the Big Ten has always been this: the Big Ten lacks membership in it's hockey conference and ASU needs a conference to call home until such a day comes that there will be a Pac-12 hockey conference. The fact that ASU doesn't see the Big Ten as an end game where the team will play for its entire existence is a major reason that the Big Ten would consider that move over better, more established hockey teams like Nebraska-Omaha, North Dakota, or Minnesota-Duluth.

Also for those interested the first official D1 Arizona State Hockey game is tonight vs the ACHA University of Arizona team at Gila River Arena. You can watch it on the ASU Pac-12 live stream (http://pac-12.com/live/arizona-state-university) at 10:00PM Eastern/9:00PM Central.

LtPowers
10-03-2015, 07:06 PM
People here before have said War Memorial is double booked with the Crunch and someone else. It would be almost impossible to put Cuse in there.

But Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln already hosts the Cornhuskers' squeakball teams. So exclusivity can't be the criterion.

Powers &8^]

WiscDC
10-03-2015, 09:22 PM
Here's the link to the free stream for the ASU-Arizona game at Gila River Arena: http://pac-12.com/live/arizona-state-university

dxmnkd316
10-03-2015, 09:37 PM
Those jerseys they are going to wear are sharp!

SunDevilBob
10-03-2015, 09:41 PM
ASU up 4-1 vs UofA in the D1 opener at 1st intermission

vizoroo
10-03-2015, 09:59 PM
Here's the link to the free stream for the ASU-Arizona game at Gila River Arena: http://pac-12.com/live/arizona-state-university

Looks good.
Fork the wildcats:D

Red Cows
10-03-2015, 10:00 PM
But Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln already hosts the Cornhuskers' squeakball teams. So exclusivity can't be the criterion.

Powers &8^]

Just to reiterate. When the City of Lincoln and the Huskers built and finished Pinnacle Bank Arena 3 years ago, all the plumbing necessary to make ice were added to the building. This was a last minute addition before the floor was poured. The only thing missing is the above the ground ice making/refrigeration equipment.

The University of Nebraska is currently building the Breslow Ice Center right next door to Pinnacle Bank Arena. This is a 700 seat facility. Since Pinnacle Bank Arena is a multipurpose facility that hosts all sorts of events besides Husker Basketball like concerts and other events (Note: The Husker Volleyball team does NOT play at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The Devaney Center was converted to a volleyball only faculty at the same time Pinnacle Bank Arena was being built and they play there) it woukd not be avilabe for hockey purposes as often as needed. This would be particularly true if the Huskers added both a men's and women's program (potentially being forced to do so because of Title IX issues). The Breslow Ice Center is a single rink facility but is being built so that it might be expanded.

Presumably, any incipient men's or women's Husker hockey program would play in Pinnacle Bank Center and practice in the Breslow Center, as necessary,if PBA is in use for some other purpose that would not allow practice to take place there.

Right now, the school's only announced plans for the facility is that the school's club hockey team, which has not even played their games in Lincoln for a decade, will be playing at Breslow.

Spartanforlife4
10-03-2015, 10:09 PM
Arizona's goalie is really bad. It also doesn't help ASU can skate through whoever they want.