Arizona State Moving To D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan
    How well did the meeting go with the NCHC Commish Josh Fenton back in July four months before the announcement?
    To tell the truth it is still "not talked about officially" but it was the league being "thought" about

Proud Grandpa of Haley,Adam & Luke
    A Retired shop teacher and proud of it (35 years )

OSWEGO STATE Almost class of 1973

OSWEGO STATE LAKERS 2007 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    Oswego, from the Indian Oshwakee, "the flowing out of the waters."
    Arizona State Class of 1974
    ASU THE ACHA D1 2014 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    Arizona based on the Pima Indian word arizonac, meaning "little spring place."

Comment

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

The BIG push is to get PAC 12 schools to form a Division DI league But you may have to talk to Marty McFly and his DeLorean to see those games.

Comment

Notre Dame and ASU to the B1G as associate members. Brilliant!
        "My greatest achievement."
        Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

• Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan
          Will a new rink be in place by the time ASU becomes D1 hockey team?
          I do not think so BUT I have seen MONEY move mountains in Phoenix and Tucson when It come to to ASU and UofA. We have a great rink at Gila River Arena and an almost great rink at Talking Stick Arena (sight lines, but should not affect college hockey because of lower attendance than Pro.)

Comment

• Originally posted by darker98 View Post
            Notre Dame and ASU to the B1G as associate members. Brilliant!
            Ya can only dream....... not

Comment

Well tonight ASU plays Centrial Oklahoma (it is #1 vs #2 ) after last night I don't know which team is one or two so will chat later

Comment

Big ten doesn't do associate members. Not for big four sports.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  Big ten doesn't do associate members. Not for big four sports.
                  Sorry. I don't know how to use smileys.
                  "My greatest achievement."
                  Dirty on getting me suspended from USCHO.

I'm not an alcoholic! I'm an independent beer taster for Anheuser Busch.

Happy~Smelling like a warm turd sandwich since 11/15/07.

Comment

Originally posted by Irishdave View Post
                    (as you know almost all DI football programs are self-sufficient and then some )
                    That's a laugher.

GFM
                    Geof F. Morris
                    UAH BSE MAE 2002
                    UAHHockey.com

Comment

There are a number of "polls" on the numbers but it seems ASU is at the top on more of them till you start using different filters undergrad, online, etc BUT with bodies on campus Undergrad and Grad ASU is the largest
                      How about posting even a single link that buttresses this statement?

When I type "largest colleges and universities" into Google, ASU isn't #1 in a single list I found.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                        How about posting even a single link that buttresses this statement?

When I type "largest colleges and universities" into Google, ASU isn't #1 in a single list I found.
                        http://about.asu.edu/facts.html
                        https://ikm.ucf.edu/files/2015/01/UCF-Current-Facts-01.05.15.pdf
                        http://enrollmentplanning.osu.edu/report.pdf

I first started with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_university_campuses_by_enrol lment#cite_note-5
                        And then looked up the places where they got the info (you know sometimes you can't trust Wikipedia) there were 48 Reference notes that were above reproach since they came from non Wikipedia sources.
                        There are online schools and brick & mortar, online schools that have a larger enrollments but with traditional brick, mortar and Ivy universities ASU has been #1 for a few years.

Comment

There is a lot of behind the scenes action going on.
                          First ASU is going to develop the land that is the on Campus golf course (soon to be closed) into a business and commerce district where the profits go straight into the athletics department for use by lesser sports (as you know almost all DI football programs are self-sufficient and then some )
                          The donation given to the hockey program is THE LARGEST donation to any sport in ASU's history (since 1885).
                          Even through the semester does not start till the 12th the crowd last night was good size.
                          The "logistics concerns" was merely holding the cards close to the chest which is something Westerners have been doing since the OK corral days.
                          Being an alumni with very small ties to the booster club I was sworn to silence until the announcement. At first My feeling was it is still too soon but after what I have seen I am coming around to believing that ASU will be competitive.
                          Sorry, but you are completely out of your gourd.

From the NCAA, itself:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...enue-increases

Only 20 FBS teams made money on football in 2013.

Secondly, "The District at ASU" involves far more land than just the golf course you mentioned:

http://www.thedistrictatasu.com/

And, the stated primary purpose of establishing this "district" is to improve existing facilities since they seem to be having a hard time finding the money to do this any other way. That makes me even more skeptical that officials are going to be falling all over themselves, anytime soon, to build what will probably need to be at least a 90 million dollar hockey facility. The biggest stated purpose of taking this approach is to facilitate the replacing Sun Devil Stadium, which the article says is currently suffering from over 80 million dollars of deferred maintenance needs! If you can't even maintain what you already have, where is all this money coming from to build a hockey arena?

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...ium-fixes.html

Comment

Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan
                            Will a new rink be in place by the time ASU becomes D1 hockey team?

Please outline to us all how a "new rink" could possibly be in place by October of this year, when the new hockey season starts, which is also when ASU is going D-1.

Inquiring minds are just dying to know.

Comment

http://about.asu.edu/facts.html
                              https://ikm.ucf.edu/files/2015/01/UC...s-01.05.15.pdf
                              http://enrollmentplanning.osu.edu/report.pdf

I first started with http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...nt#cite_note-5
                              And then looked up the places where they got the info (you know sometimes you can't trust Wikipedia) there were 48 Reference notes that were above reproach since they came from non Wikipedia sources.
                              There are online schools and brick & mortar, online schools that have a larger enrollments but with traditional brick, mortar and Ivy universities ASU has been #1 for a few years.
                              Not single one of these links purports ASU to have the largest enrollment of all U.S. colleges and universities.

I must be missing something here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                                Sorry, but you are completely out of your gourd.

From the NCAA, itself:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/...enue-increases

Only 20 FBS teams made money on football in 2013.

Secondly, "The District at ASU" involves far more land than just the golf course you mentioned:

http://www.thedistrictatasu.com/

And, the stated primary purpose of establishing this "district" is to improve existing facilities since they seem to be having a hard time finding the money to do this any other way. That makes me even more skeptical that officials are going to be falling all over themselves, anytime soon, to build what will probably need to be at least a 90 million dollar hockey facility. The biggest stated purpose of taking this approach is to facilitate the replacing Sun Devil Stadium, which the article says is currently suffering from over 80 million dollars of deferred maintenance needs! If you can't even maintain what you already have, where is all this money coming from to build a hockey arena?

http://www.azcentral.com/community/t...ium-fixes.html
                                Ok Red you caught me I only gave the Readers Digest version of the district. Much like politics you have to read between the lines.
                                But I think you lost your Murder of crows (no need for a gourd here).
                                Don't drink The Kool aid, as most NCAA reports are, it is written to sound good, BTW the HOCKEY Donation was $32 million
                                BTW Red where do you come from? I live 2 min from ASU's Tempe Campus and 7 min (if the lights are against me) from OceanSide Ice Arena. It is called Oceanside because it is next door to Big Surf (designated as an ASME Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark, First inland surfing facility in North America)

Comment

Working...
                                X