PDA

View Full Version : Arizona State Moving To D1

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44

manurespreader
01-02-2015, 07:50 AM
I think it would take at least 400 to get GWOZ and his connections are getting stale anyway. They said they are going with their guy and you have to believe them, don't you..

I also heard a rumor that though ASU has made no decision, they are leaning to the NCHC but want to wait until after they have plans for a building. Though I do understand they have a meeting with the WCHA coming up.
I wouldn't doubt they are working very hard to get the funds arranged.

Whatever league they pick, you have to wonder if it will be a long term deal. I think it would be bad for the WCHA to lose Minnesota State, at this point at least.

As to fundraising, i'm sure it will be successful, however given the rose colored glasses they have had so far, they might make some promises they can't keep during the process. It's one thing to say, "we are ASU, we'll get recruits", but it's another to actually get them.

Red Cows
01-03-2015, 11:21 PM
Red Cows: the hybrid schedules are a reflection of the fact that non-conference games are scheduled many years in advance. You generally can't join a league right away these days, so to get your kids enough games to feel like they're playing hockey still, you have to schedule non D-I teams and apply for the waiver. UAH ran into this a couple of years ago when that cretin Mack Portera killed the program for six weeks, causing every school that had us on the docket for the next 2-3 years to drop us like a bad habit. We're really lucky that we're in a league with 28 home games and get at least one exempted series a year although most years that will likely mean 22-24 road games for us. (Although Corbett has said that he won't schedule 38 games again. Our kids were so spent by the end of the season.)

GFM

Geof, as it pertains to UNO and their scheduling, that has certainly NOT been the case. I have had contentious discussions with the UNO Athletic Department ticket office for several years up to and including last year about renewing my season tickets, which you are billed for in May of each season, after they have billed me for the upcoming season, and after which they then started calling you incessantly asking "are you going to renew?". The reason these were contentious? Because UNO, until last season, has not released their schedule for the upcoming season until we were within 30-60 days days of the season even starting! So, I have had to commit to and pay for season tickets without knowing who any OOC opponents were (although, because of prior year's schedules one or two could be deduced). UNO did not release last year's schedule until 7-18-13, the earliest I can recall this being done! That was ungodly early--for us. I had a season a few years ago where I didn't get my tickets until about two weeks before the first game (read: the schedule was announced about a week before or so).

The ONLY game upcoming for UNO that any UNO fan is utterly sure about (besides conference games) is UNO's opponent and the actual date our new arena opens (Air Force, October 10th, 2015). Further, it is rumored that we are going to continue with our annual series, restarted this season, (interrupted only once, by UNO's first season in the NCHC last year) with Minnesota State, who up until that time, was the ONLY team UNO had played every year of our program's existence.

The reason that I have been given, every year I have *****ed about this, despite this conversation happening in each instance so close to the season starting?

"We are still finalizing our non-conference schedule"

Maybe other schools have their schedule made up long in advance but it sure isn't the case around here.

By the way, I am not exactly sure what your statement:

You generally can't join a league right away these days..............

........actually means. I suppose it depends on your definition of "right away" and what constitutes "these days". Penn State didn't have to wait. UNO waited for two seasons and if we'd known the WCHA was going to jerk us around back then, we'd have probably been in the CCHA a year sooner than we were. I don't know anything about what RMU's situation was.

If everybody else knows who they are playing "year's in advance" I want you to know that I am green with envy!

blackswampboy
01-04-2015, 10:25 AM
If everybody else knows who they are playing "year's in advance" I want you to know that I am green with envy!

yep, we pretty much know BGSU's non-conf. games down the road. regardless of when they release the schedule.
of course there will be conflicts and tweaks (couldn't fit Western in this year)--but we can expect something like this, year-in year-out:

2 vs. Western Mich. (home & home)
2 vs. Miami (home & home)
2 vs. OSU (home & home)
2 vs. RMU/Canisius/RIT/Niagara/Mercyhurst

until there's another realignment, anyway.

vizoroo
01-04-2015, 04:55 PM
I could certainly see ASU coming to Colorado to play 2 of DU,cc,AFA. Couldn't hurt the NCHC's chances to land the Sun Devils

gfmorris
01-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Geof, as it pertains to UNO and their scheduling, that has certainly NOT been the case. I have had contentious discussions with the UNO Athletic Department ticket office for several years up to and including last year about renewing my season tickets, which you are billed for in May of each season, after they have billed me for the upcoming season, and after which they then started calling you incessantly asking "are you going to renew?". The reason these were contentious? Because UNO, until last season, has not released their schedule for the upcoming season until we were within 30-60 days days of the season even starting! So, I have had to commit to and pay for season tickets without knowing who any OOC opponents were (although, because of prior year's schedules one or two could be deduced). UNO did not release last year's schedule until 7-18-13, the earliest I can recall this being done! That was ungodly early--for us. I had a season a few years ago where I didn't get my tickets until about two weeks before the first game (read: the schedule was announced about a week before or so).

The ONLY game upcoming for UNO that any UNO fan is utterly sure about (besides conference games) is UNO's opponent and the actual date our new arena opens (Air Force, October 10th, 2015). Further, it is rumored that we are going to continue with our annual series, restarted this season, (interrupted only once, by UNO's first season in the NCHC last year) with Minnesota State, who up until that time, was the ONLY team UNO had played every year of our program's existence.

The reason that I have been given, every year I have *****ed about this, despite this conversation happening in each instance so close to the season starting?

"We are still finalizing our non-conference schedule"

Maybe other schools have their schedule made up long in advance but it sure isn't the case around here.

By the way, I am not exactly sure what your statement:

........actually means. I suppose it depends on your definition of "right away" and what constitutes "these days". Penn State didn't have to wait. UNO waited for two seasons and if we'd known the WCHA was going to jerk us around back then, we'd have probably been in the CCHA a year sooner than we were. I don't know anything about what RMU's situation was.

All I know is that contracts are made out well in advance. For UAH's situation, the league dictates the times of conference matchups within reason, and our non-conference contracts always dictate what year(s) you're going to play teams (e.g., Denver in 12-13). Once you get the high sign from the league, then you work to slot the dates, and I think that teams will agree to change years if there isn't a fit. I think that's why UAH and NMU slipped their return NC dates from last season to this — they got the flexibility.

That said, UAH has historically been late to release schedules, and while we got a WCHA schedule done by March 2013, it was summer this year before we released one. The schools know roughly who they're going to play, though.

As for "right away", I'm talking about joining a league on day one.

GFM

UAHStatman
01-05-2015, 11:28 AM
All I know is that contracts are made out well in advance. For UAH's situation, the league dictates the times of conference matchups within reason, and our non-conference contracts always dictate what year(s) you're going to play teams (e.g., Denver in 12-13). Once you get the high sign from the league, then you work to slot the dates, and I think that teams will agree to change years if there isn't a fit. I think that's why UAH and NMU slipped their return NC dates from last season to this — they got the flexibility.

That said, UAH has historically been late to release schedules, and while we got a WCHA schedule done by March 2013, it was summer this year before we released one. The schools know roughly who they're going to play, though.

As for "right away", I'm talking about joining a league on day one.

GFM

Actually, UAH released the 2014-15 schedule on April 29, so the trend is now to release it in the spring. Not that it makes much of a difference, since you couldn't order season tickets until the summer anyway.
http://www.uahchargers.com/news/2014/4/29/MHOCKEY_0429140513.aspx

Shirtless Guy
01-05-2015, 11:34 AM
The finalizing schedule bit isnt about figuring out who you're going to play, it's about figuring out when you're going to play, if you're going to play the USA development team and figuring out when/if you'll play an exhibition against a canadian team. It's about turning all of those penciled in notes into ink. If a coach was honest with you he can probably tell you right now with 95% certainty who they'll be playing February 12 and 13, 2016. Obviously that can all change if there is more shuffling with conferences and there is a reason they wait so long but the vast majority of the schedule for next season is known right now.

gfmorris
01-05-2015, 12:23 PM
Actually, UAH released the 2014-15 schedule on April 29, so the trend is now to release it in the spring. Not that it makes much of a difference, since you couldn't order season tickets until the summer anyway.
http://www.uahchargers.com/news/2014/4/29/MHOCKEY_0429140513.aspx

Augh.

GFM

ExileOnDaytonStreet
01-06-2015, 04:48 PM
When do you suppose we'll find out in which conference ASU will land? Coaches' meetings?

manurespreader
01-06-2015, 05:42 PM
When do you suppose we'll find out in which conference ASU will land? Coaches' meetings?

I would not expect anything right away. They have meetings with both leagues coming up. There are advantages to going with the WCHA as well as the NCHC. They are in no hurry from what my source says. Right now the biggest problem revolves around a place to play.

also they are playing Wisconsin halloween weekend next season.

RaceBoarder
01-06-2015, 06:38 PM
I would not expect anything right away. They have meetings with both leagues coming up. There are advantages to going with the WCHA as well as the NCHC. They are in no hurry from what my source says. Right now the biggest problem revolves around a place to play.

also they are playing Wisconsin halloween weekend next season.

As much as I try, I just can't see this being a positive for the WCHA... What's the benefit? The ASU brand isn't that big of a deal, and it adds a significant bit of travel...

Seawolf Fan
01-06-2015, 10:57 PM
As much as I try, I just can't see this being a positive for the WCHA... What's the benefit? The ASU brand isn't that big of a deal, and it adds a significant bit of travel...

They will go to the nacho and mankato will follow. jmho

boblav1
01-06-2015, 11:07 PM
From twitter:

Andy Baggot ‏@AndyBaggotWSJ
#Badgers will host newest Division I entry Arizona State in Halloween weekend series in 2015-16.

Andy Baggot ‏@AndyBaggotWSJ
The expectation for #Badgers is they will travel to Tempe to complete home-and-home arrangement at a later date.

The Rube
01-06-2015, 11:25 PM
From twitter:

"And the Badgers will get swept."

Red Cows
01-07-2015, 12:57 AM
They will go to the nacho and mankato will follow. jmho

This has been my thought as well. No other conference really makes sense for ASU or for the conferences invloved. And another team would need to come as well to make 10 teams, I would think. The Purple Cows or Bowling Green would seem to make the most sense. Perhaps Michigan Tech?

The big question for me here is, why is it a given that any conference is going to take ASU? If I were a conference commissioner, unless they could show me a bona fide (acceptable) plan regarding where there are going to play short term, and, what the long term plan is for a venue as well, my interest level in them would be very small.

And, as been already pointed out here, ASU has no idea where they are going to be playing next season as I write this, having publicly admitted as much at the press conference announcing that they were moving up.

aparch
01-07-2015, 05:53 AM
...Perhaps Michigan Tech?

They're half the reason NoDak and Denver formed the NCHC. (The other half being Anchorage). So unless the NCHC has that "flashy pen thingy" from the Men In Black movies to erase the memories of why they split, it ain't happening.

And if they poach Mankato, they become the WCHA minus McLeod and two "annoying" flights. (I'd argue that Kalamazoo, MI and Oxford, Ohio are equally as annoying to get to as Houghton, MI and Anchorage, AK.

Shirtless Guy
01-07-2015, 11:28 AM
Maybe NCHC goes for RMU, they seem to like the bigger markets.

purpleinnebraska
01-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Maybe NCHC goes for RMU, they seem to like the bigger markets.

That's actually not a horrible idea, and I don't mean this to sound as snarky as it probably will, but RMU is not really a "like-minded" university. Size-wise, they're bigger than CC and as big as Denver (and growing at a healthy rate), and they do play D1 basketball, but those schools have national championships and Frozen Fours in their history, and those schools have shown a desire and commitment to be known as hockey schools. The RMU program may not be at the level of commitment that the NCHC is looking for.

Of course, ASU has no hockey history, but ASU will take in over $800 million in tuition and fees alone this year. It's not hard to find an adequate amount of commitment when you have Scrooge McDuck levels of cash to work with.

Critical Thinker
01-07-2015, 12:14 PM
Of course, ASU has no hockey history, but ASU will take in over $800 million in tuition and fees alone this year. It's not hard to find an adequate amount of commitment when you have Scrooge McDuck levels of cash to work with.

If they end up needing to build an ice arena, adequate commitment might be a problem.

lmg6841
01-07-2015, 12:33 PM
If they end up needing to build an ice arena, adequate commitment might be a problem.

They probably will have to build something. Their current options are that dump Oceanside that seats like 100 people or sharing facilities with the Suns downtown. If I was a hockey loving, party-centric ASU student, I'd much rather have a rink on campus.