Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
    What if the B1g, wanting to expand its 6 team hockey conference(too many open dates) went after Pac 12 schools as associate members similar to Johns Hopkins in lacrosse.
    • Power 5 Conference
    • Most of PAC 12 AAU members-(ASU, Utah, OSU and WSU are not )
    • Expand footprint$ of both conferences

Heresy? Maybe not.
    I guess I should know better than to have strong expectations, but the Johns Hopkins addition didn't surprise me nearly as much as an ASU addition would. JHU got the Big Ten 6 teams in their lacrosse league, a team that is very relevant in college lacrosse, and a school with a great academic reputation. Also, they're D-III for other sports anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Nike has some of the worst hockey sweaters on earth.
      Nevertheless, would Oregon wear a different sweater for every game?
      Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

A worse one each week.

(I actually like a lot of their football uniforms)
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
          ASU may have some conference mates joining them.

If Stanford or Oregon have a big donation in the works they will get a D1 team. PSU and ASU did it.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Stanford I get. Oregon maybe.
            Oh God, the jerseys would be so awful...

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            *Jesus H Christ on a cracker is there a monopoly on big athletic companies.
            Yeah, no kidding. I had no idea that Bauer and CCM were owned by the big boys like that.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by vizoroo View Post
              My choice for ASU would be the NCHC

Personally, I don't see 5 other Pac 12 schools jumping on the Division I Hockey bandwagon. And certainly not with the unexpected speed that ASU did. And no "Big 10" school seem anxious to jump into Div. I hockey

What if the B1g, wanting to expand its 6 team hockey conference(too many open dates) went after Pac 12 schools as associate members similar to Johns Hopkins in lacrosse.
              • Power 5 Conference
              • Most of PAC 12 AAU members-(ASU, Utah, OSU and WSU are not )
              • Expand footprint$ of both conferences

Heresy? Maybe not.
              I have said this before, in other threads, but I will repeat it.

I think the Big 10 IS going to go to 8 teams at some point. Nebraska will probably be one of those teams and I could even envision a situation where the league might even subsidize another school to help get an 8th team kickstarted, if necessary. It could be to the conference's overall financial benefit for it to do so and it will certainly help the existing hockey schools in scheduling and make for a more credible league, too.

Nebraska has two key parts of the puzzle already in place. The facilities (both a place to play AND a separate practice facility--one just completed and the other currently under construction--right next door to each other, too) as well the money. They already have Title IX issues at NU so that is the one place they would still have to get their ducks in a row.

The big (pardon the pun) question to me has been, who else in the conference is the best situated to do this, as well? This has been pontificated upon in a number of threads over the past 3 years or so with no real consensus on the topic. Northwestern, Illinois, and Iowa always seem to get mentioned the most.

I don't see the Big 10 adding ANY outside-the-conference schools as hockey affiliates under any set of circumstances. Frankly I think it would be humiliating, image-defeating, and financially unnecessary to go down that path for the conference. You are talking about a conference with mostly very large (and old) schools (4 of the top 10 largest in the country are in the Big 10) that have a lot of money and pride to go along with that. It would lessen the brand to do something like this in a major sport.

Take Nebraska, for example. It has the 2nd smallest enrollment of the 14 member schools yet even it's fundraising arm, the NU Foundation, sits on a warchest of over a billion dollars and that puts Nebraska in the lower 1/3 of the league in that regard.

Potential quote from Jim Delany on the topic:

"Help? HELP? We don't need no stinking help!".
              Last edited by Red Cows; 08-05-2015, 11:23 PM.

Comment

There is no shortage of potential big donors in the Pac12. What it really will take is some organizing in terms of multiple schools doing it at the same time. Never made much sense for one school to start a program in a relative vacuum but now that ASU has broken the seal, it would not be surprising to see others jump on board. There is pretty good support for college club hockey out here in the west. I think recruiting would be strong once the programs were up and running. You don't think these kids from the cold weather areas wouldn't like to be on the beach after practice with hot coeds all around versus freezing their buts off in some cold backwater town? Socal is overrun by expat Canadians and M*******s!

Comment

If weather mattered, North Dakota would be the worst team in the country every year.
                  Originally posted by dicaslover
                  Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                  Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

And if the presence of hot women mattered, Michigan Tech would be... well, okay, maybe this isn't the best season to be making that joke.
                    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                      And if the presence of hot women mattered, Michigan Tech would be... well, okay, maybe this isn't the best season to be making that joke.
                      I guess we will see. The weather/hot chick theory has never been tested. Now it can be. UAH is an outlier and not really a destination so not much of a draw under my theory. If you are looking at Arizona and California, those are destination spots. Certainly someplace like North Dakota with a strong history as a great program can hold its own against other similar programs. But for many, there is not much difference between ND and Minn or Wisconsin or St Cloud (I know everyone will jump on me for this) as far as weather/girls/hockey etc. But I think (and admittedly its just my own speculation) that recruits will be attracted to a Pac12 type conference. What's the downside once the teams are established? My point is that these places can get up to speed and be competitive fairly quickly. There is a reason that NHL players come to the Ducks/Kings/Coyotes and then live here once they retire. Most of them don't move back to North Dakota or Winnipeg or wherever. Of course, I could be completely wrong but I am happy that ASU is going to give it a run and we can watch what happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                        There is no shortage of potential big donors in the Pac12. it would not be surprising to see others jump on board. There is pretty good support for college club hockey out here in the west.
                        ASU will start the Domino effect. The Pac 12 slowly but surely add teams.

Comment

Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan View Post
                          ASU will start the Domino effect. The Pac 12 slowly but surely add teams.
                          Right, just like Penn State has in the Big 10, smack in the middle of hockey country and a whole bunch of other potential opponents that negate or lessen many of the travel issues for any school contemplating this.

That's why Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, Northwestern, Illinois, Purdue, Maryland, and Rutgers all have announced plans to become the next members of the Big 10 Hockey Conference. Because finding 100 million plus, even at these fabulously wealthy schools, to get this started in any sort of meaningful way (read: do it right) is so easy to come by.

And, there are so many people just waiting in the wings and chomping at the bit to do this at their PAC-12 alma maters, particularly since there is so much pent up demand to see college hockey (hell, hockey, at all) in places like Tucson, Corvallis, Berkeley, Eugene, et al.

Anybody out there want to share a local news story with us where some other PAC-12 school is definitively taking a look at this or even seriously thinking about it? Because I am guessing that, beyond the wishful thinking stage, it ain't happenin' anywhere anytime soon.

Before anybody wants to pontificate on the possibilities of D-1 college hockey at their respective school you must remember these 3 things:

1. What is the sports scholarship endowment ratio of men to women at the school? If you are not in a financial position to add women's scholarships in an existing or new women's sport roughly commensurate to what you'd add for men's college hockey, which is 18 scholarships (note: few schools are one-to-one today, even with Title IX), you are NOT adding men's D-1 hockey and you can stop the conversation right here and now.

2. Do you have a place to play and a place to practice if you don't have the appropriate facilities on your campus? Can your potential program forgo revenue streams like parking, concessions, club seating, team apparel sales, and suites in a building you might have to rent to play in? Because you aren't going to see those monies in a building you don't own.

3. Can you afford to build on-campus facilities, which are going to, at some point, be a must for any really serious hockey program to recruit to, AND, can you afford to build the new facilities for whatever women's sport(s) you have to add, as well?

I assume that everybody that keeps speculating on this understands that, outside of football, hockey is the most expensive sport to operate and maintain in college athletics? Do you understand how expensive is to own and operate an ice rink?

I just roll my eyes at all these people that think this is just SO easy and it's going to start happening everywhere. If it was SO easy then everybody WOULD be doing it.

Newsflash. No, it isn't.

Unless some big pockets donor comes up with the money at some other school, PAC-12 or not (which is what it took at both Penn State and at ASU), the thought that some sort of domino effect is going to come into play is a non-starter.

The only way I could potentially see some sort of PAC-12 hockey conference really get going outside of all these "mythical donors" is if the conference, itself, out of its own revenue pool, subsidized the start-up of programs at at least 5 other schools besides ASU. And, this would have to somehow make economic sense to the entire conference as a whole and I freely admit that I don't know if it could be done so that it would.

I don't see any school in the PAC-12 adding hockey in the foreseeable future. I don't think the money, inclination, demand, insert your own adjective here, is there to do it.

Sorry to be a downer here but all this talk about other schools jumping on board is just knee jerk wishful thinking. It happened after Penn State and it is happening here. And, the announced, serious attempts to add D-1 hockey at the few schools that have actually tried recently, without a major donation, have all failed.
                          Last edited by Red Cows; 11-26-2014, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Red Cows is right. All ASU's entry does is provide a node for southwestern expansion of the sport, but NAU provided that, too. Is ASU a bigger name than NAU? Yes, in the same way that UAH is far smaller down here than, say, Alabama. But if they put a D-1 team in Tuscaloosa — which they won't — it's not like that would create an SECHC, even though they're in the same situation as the Pac-12 in terms of having a TV network with openings for programming in winter.
                            Geof F. Morris
                            UAH BSE MAE 2002
                            UAHHockey.com

Comment

red cows gave plenty of food for thought. one thing I wanted to bring up is that if any schools want to use UNO"s start of a div 1 program please remember they we were all in div 2 and none of those other sports we did 2
                              Ill finish thisup wen my ambien wears off
                              UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                                It happened after Penn State and it is happening here.
                                The difference is that Penn State had conference mates ready to go. Do you really think ASU would be making the jump if they didn't think/know that other western schools were seriously considering it?

And, the announced, serious attempts to add D-1 hockey at the few schools that have actually tried recently, without a major donation, have all failed.
                                Yes, RIT and Robert Morris certainly are failures.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Working...
                                X