Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    There sure seem to be a lot of things that ASU officials today glossed over at their press conference announcing this...
    No reason to let reality or facts cloud the issue. That's the fastest way to kill a dream.
    Ryan J
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

That article made me chuckle, not that it had much substance. ASU going D1 is somehow going to run small schools out of the sport? Just like happened when Penn State joined. Oh, wait, Union won the national title, not any of the big schools. Fear the fork all you who tremble at the thought of ASU hockey!

As for travel, most folks have to fly to get to schools like Denver and Colorado College, and have for decades. Nothing really very new or different with ASU's situation. But, I guess there'll be a few naysayers about pretty much anything that comes along.
      Originally posted by Priceless
      Good to see you're so reasonable.
      Originally posted by ScoobyDoo
      Very well, said.
      Originally posted by Rover
      A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Colorado should add hockey next and partner with ASU to join a conference.
        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
          A negative view on ASU moving to D1

http://sbnation.com/e/7010744
          Please. There just isn't enough "big" schools who want to play in the icebox. If five more schools out west decide to join ASU only then will I get even remotely concerned with the big schools gobbling up the small schools. You see UMD and Union have done something like win a National Championship that schools like PSU, ASU, UConn have not done yet. I want to see hockey grow around the country and if big schools want to join so be it.
          Slap Shot - 444 might want to consider a restraining order.
          dggoddard - Minnesota is THE ELITE Program in all of college hockey.
          wasmania - you have to be the very best to get ice time with the great gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
            Colorado should add hockey next and partner with ASU to join a conference.
            My sense is that Colorado's athletic program has had a rocky time lately, with the football program in shambles, so I doubt they would give this much thought at least for awhile. I'd personally like to see the University of Arizona go D1 and we'd maintain our local rivalry with them. They used to draw well over 10,000 to games at times when the Wildcats were riding high. Lately ASU has owned them going like 38-1 in recent years against the U of A. Can't say I've heard anything about them going D1, unlike ASU, where there's been chatter for awhile about the possibility.
            Very well, said.
            A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Anyone else find it strange that they are not going out and getting a new coach? Would have to think lots of guys would be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                Huh?
                You are saying, "I want nothing to do with this." If you are not purchasing ASU tickets then you have your wish of nothing to do with it. IMO, we need many Power 5 schools to bring down the current small schools who play college hockey.

Comment

• Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
                  That would involve two years of no autobid, though.
                  Unless there is an exception. It's happened before with the NCHC and Hockey East.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vincent Chase View Post
                    Anyone else find it strange that they are not going out and getting a new coach? Would have to think lots of guys would be interested.
                    Powers deserves a shot at being a head coach. Even though i think it usually never works out for club coaches moving to D1 with their team. I don't have proof of this though.

Comment

Originally posted by ritBLKnORGsuit View Post
                      Powers deserves a shot at being a head coach. Even though i think it usually never works out for club coaches moving to D1 with their team. I don't have proof of this though.
                      ASU is better off hiring a high quality assistant coach who has a recruiting background at the Division one level.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4four4 View Post
                        ASU is better off hiring a high quality assistant coach who has a recruiting background at the Division one level.
                        Or, better yet, they can hire Mike Eaves.
                        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I'm ok with giving Powers an initial shot at things, given that he built the club team into a powerhouse in relatively short order. I'd really be ok though it they decided to go a different direction, as it is a big change from running a club program to running a D1 program. I can see the arguments both ways.

I am curious to see if having a program where it's 70 degrees and sunny in January helps recruiting. That's obviously one of many factors that go into recruiting players, but I can see that some folks might like the idea of playing hockey at a school with really nice weather through the hockey season.
                          Very well, said.
                          A fair assessment Bob.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            Or, better yet, they can hire Mike Eaves.
                            Which would lead to a boring trap style brand of hockey and #60 PWR rankings,not much of an incentive really.
                            Last edited by SanTropez; 11-19-2014, 01:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SanTropez View Post
                              Which would lead to a boring trap style brand of hockey and #59 PWR rankings,not much of an incentive really.
                              Who would be below them?
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                                Who would be below them?
                                Good point, old habit.

Fixed

Comment

Working...
                                X