• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPI @ UConn, Tuesday, 10/18/14

Discuss
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Re: RPI @ UConn, Tuesday, 10/18/14

I'll be in Hartford for my first in-person game of the season

Edit: RPI is hosting a pre-game reception... http://alumni.rpi.edu/s/1225/index.a...=13&calcid=664
    Last edited by RPI_2003; 11-15-2014, 08:19 PM.
    Let's give a cheer for old Rensselaer... You bring the whiskey, I'll bring the beer!

Comment

Unfortunately, I have things to do on Tuesday night but would like to catch a road game this season. I will have to check the schedule. Will attend via werpi.

Comment

Well, let's see - in their last four games, the UConn Huskies have lost to Yale, beaten BC, tied BU, and lost to Sacred Heart.

In last week's USCHO poll, BU was ranked third in the country, BC was ranked eighth, and neither Yale nor Sacred Heart received so much as a single vote.

Which UConn team is going to show up against RPI? I haven't a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
          Well, let's see - in their last four games, the UConn Huskies have lost to Yale, beaten BC, tied BU, and lost to Sacred Heart.

In last week's USCHO poll, BU was ranked third in the country, BC was ranked eighth, and neither Yale nor Sacred Heart received so much as a single vote.

Which UConn team is going to show up against RPI? I haven't a clue.
          Recalling Kepler's third law, could this be a team that could appeal to his heart?
          Last edited by fr. joe; 11-18-2014, 02:56 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Good morning, gameday. Go, Red.

Comment

Huskies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
              Last edited by RSTuthill; 11-18-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RSTuthill View Post
                Huskies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Yep, MTU is indeed #1.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

RSTuthill, I've occasionally come across women's basketball games on TV and noticed that, more often than not, they are played in front of vast expanses of empty seats. Even when well-established Division I teams are playing, there just doesn't seem to be that much interest.

Of course, UConn has the pre-eminent women's basketball program in the country. They're defending national champions and they had a 47-game winning streak up until last night. If there's anyplace where I might expect women's basketball to be a really high-profile sport, it would be at UConn.

Out of curiosity, how does the interest level in men's hockey compare to the interest level in women's basketball at UConn? Is there as much interest in men's hockey - not as much, but comparable - or not nearly as much?

Comment

C

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                    RSTuthill, I've occasionally come across women's basketball games on TV and noticed that, more often than not, they are played in front of vast expanses of empty seats. Even when well-established Division I teams are playing, there just doesn't seem to be that much interest.

Of course, UConn has the pre-eminent women's basketball program in the country. They're defending national champions and they had a 47-game winning streak up until last night. If there's anyplace where I might expect women's basketball to be a really high-profile sport, it would be at UConn.

Out of curiosity, how does the interest level in men's hockey compare to the interest level in women's basketball at UConn? Is there as much interest in men's hockey - not as much, but comparable - or not nearly as much?
                    Obviously I'm not RSTuthill but after 20+ years in CT I think I can provide some insight on the interest in UConn hockey. It doesn't come close to the overall level of interest in women's basketball. In fact, traditionally it was probably 5th, behind both basketball teams, football and even men's soccer. I have held season tickets at various times in both basketball teams and football despite hockey being my favorite sport. The rink and level of support (both from fans and from the school) just didn't make it worth the 80+ mile ride to Storrs from my house.

Having said that, I've sensed a significant uptick in interest with the move to HE and a scholarship roster. CT is a good hockey state so the program is now coming up in sports conversations among casual fans as well as the diehards. A friend told me the atmosphere for the BC game was electric.

Once they complete plans and begin construction of the new campus rink I expect another significant jump. The XL Center, while a good place for the occasional big game, is really too large and distant from campus to sustain long-term interest as a permanent location.

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't make it home in time to go tonight. This will be the first RPI trip to CT that I've missed in over a decade. I was also looking forward to just my second hockey game at the HCC (XL Center) since the Whale left. Pro hockey just hasn't been the same since.

Edit: I should say that the above perspective is from the standpoint of the general public. Among students there seemed to be core groups that support hockey and women's basketball. Both trail men's basketball and football by a significant margin (and, quite possibly, soccer). A lot of the women's basketball support comes from senior citizens and parents with young daughters. My season ticket years came during a period when I could take at least one of my girls to most of the games. With a good team and the right on campus facility hockey will probably see a dramatic increase in student support.
                    Last edited by rpi82; 11-18-2014, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Word has it there are over 3,300 tickets already sold for tonight. If they draw 4,000 fans on a Tuesday against RPI, that will be very impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by HawkStar12 View Post
                        Word has it there are over 3,300 tickets already sold for tonight. If they draw 4,000 fans on a Tuesday against RPI, that will be very impressive.
                        Wonder how many of those are students from RPI's Hartford campus.

Comment

Re: C

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                          Obviously I'm not RSTuthill but after 20+ years in CT I think I can provide some insight on the interest in UConn hockey. It doesn't come close to the overall level of interest in women's basketball. In fact, traditionally it was probably 5th, behind both basketball teams, football and even men's soccer. I have held season tickets at various times in both basketball teams and football despite hockey being my favorite sport. The rink and level of support (both from fans and from the school) just didn't make it worth the 80+ mile ride to Storrs from my house.

Having said that, I've sensed a significant uptick in interest with the move to HE and a scholarship roster. CT is a good hockey state so the program is now coming up in sports conversations among casual fans as well as the diehards. A friend told me the atmosphere for the BC game was electric.

Once they complete plans and begin construction of the new campus rink I expect another significant jump. The XL Center, while a good place for the occasional big game, is really too large and distant from campus to sustain long-term interest as a permanent location.

Unfortunately, it looks like I won't make it home in time to go tonight. This will be the first RPI trip to CT that I've missed in over a decade. I was also looking forward to just my second hockey game at the HCC (XL Center) since the Whale left. Pro hockey just hasn't been the same since.

Edit: I should say that the above perspective is from the standpoint of the general public. Among students there seemed to be core groups that support hockey and women's basketball. Both trail men's basketball and football by a significant margin (and, quite possibly, soccer). A lot of the women's basketball support comes from senior citizens and parents with young daughters. My season ticket years came during a period when I could take at least one of my girls to most of the games. With a good team and the right on campus facility hockey will probably see a dramatic increase in student support.
                          +1 What he said. But things may be changing (as he also said). I am also not there tonight, slightly under the weather.

Btw, none of the students who go to the RPI Hartford Graduate Center care anything about RPI hockey unless they did their undergrad at Troy. There are at least as many students who got a BS at Clarkson there compared to an RPI BS degree.

Comment

Working...
                          X