PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Go4PuckFan2.0
01-03-2015, 11:07 PM
For all their fronting of tArrogance, they wish they were us.

For all the hand wringing over your hockey team, seems you guys don't wish you were you.

Almington
01-03-2015, 11:09 PM
For all the hand wringing over your hockey team, seems you guys don't wish you were you.

And it's STILL better than being you. Amazing isn't it?

Gurtholfin
01-03-2015, 11:11 PM
This is amazing. I actually show feeling for your pathetic program, I sort of wish a degree of success, and yet I get ridiculed. The stupidity of the majority of your fanbase never fails to amaze me. Gurt, you are not included in that generalization.

I'll go ahead and assume that Almington is. :D

Go4PuckFan2.0
01-03-2015, 11:12 PM
And it's STILL better than being you. Amazing isn't it?

Confusing is more like it.

The Rube
01-03-2015, 11:12 PM
I'll go ahead and assume that Almington is. :D

Almsy, despite being a complete and utter a-hole, and someone who'd I'd NEVER....EVER....EVER associate with...is okay. ;)

Wisko McBadgerton
01-03-2015, 11:19 PM
But yet you can't stop posting here. Not that I am all that surprised.

Dude, WW has written you a prescription for what ails you. You might consider taking it.

What a performance by Rumps, especially down the stretch. Amazing. Really though a good performance all around. Tech is the real deal, they are bigger, faster, stronger than Bucky but this was a great effort by the boys. There weren't many of those shots that were uncontested and there were a lot of Techies getting blasted in front. Great, great, win.

That third period was the longest one I've sat through in quite a long time. Whew!

WiscTJK
01-03-2015, 11:25 PM
Dude, WW has written you a prescription for what ails you. You might consider taking it.

Sorry, just not in the mood for their normal bs tonight...

Better effort tonight obviously, and a win.

The Rube
01-03-2015, 11:25 PM

What a performance by Rumps, especially down the stretch. Amazing. Really though a good performance all around. Tech is the real deal, they are bigger, faster, stronger than Bucky but this was a great effort by the boys. There weren't many of those shots that were uncontested and there were a lot of Techies getting blasted in front. Great, great, win.

That third period was the longest one I've sat through in quite a long time. Whew!

MTU with a reported 102 shots attempted (link below, hope it works). Gotta give credit.

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6emDVKIcAANAtT.jpg

Buck 'em
01-04-2015, 12:02 AM
If Rumpel doesn't stand on his head (and get a couple pipe saves), this is another 8-1 game. Yeah, the overall effort looked better, but this team is seriously lacking in puck handling.

The amazing thing is the first goal was scored at the tail end of one of the worst power plays I have ever seen. It almost looked like Tech was so intent on scoring the shorty they forgot to play defense.

UWisco
01-04-2015, 01:09 AM
If Rumpel doesn't stand on his head (and get a couple pipe saves), this is another 8-1 game. Yeah, the overall effort looked better, but this team is seriously lacking in puck handling.

The amazing thing is the first goal was scored at the tail end of one of the worst power plays I have ever seen. It almost looked like Tech was so intent on scoring the shorty they forgot to play defense.

Defense wasn't that bad today. Obviously could have been better. Without Rumpel we would have lost but definitely not 8-1. Half of Tech's shots were dump in type things or shots from the blueline. Don't let UWs total shots fool you, they had a lot of opportunities in front were the puck never actually reached the goalie. Instances where a SOG would actually be probably warranted.

Bucky skated close to even tonight.

Chuck Schwartz
01-04-2015, 02:00 AM
Bucky knocks off #5 and somewhere Chuck was watching high school hockey.

I watched an (awful) high school game this afternoon. Tonight I was in LaCrosse for Coulee Region vs. Janesville in a really good NAHL clash.

Watching the game on DVR right now. It's about **** time Rumpel stole a game. Everything else in the game seems to be concerning, but at least one piece was good tonight.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
01-04-2015, 03:13 AM
It's pretty hard to ignore why Rumpel faced that many shots to begin with.

But whatever, we aren't seeing many more wins this year, so let's just enjoy it while it lasts.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-04-2015, 09:54 AM
Just out of curiosity I put a clock on Badger 5x5 puck possession the first two periods. Well most of it, because the first 3 minutes of the second is missing from the replay, but 2 min. of that were a Tech PP. Here's the (unscientific) results:

Period 1 - 8:39 of 18:00

Period 2 - 7:03 of 13:00

Obviously most the third we lined up on our own blue line in a shell with the lead so I didn't bother to track it.

markwojo
01-04-2015, 10:39 AM
A win is a win is a win. The shot totals were indicative of the play. The Badgers were badly outplayed, but as hockey sometimes has a way of working things out, a goalie standing on his head, a few helpful posts, a fortunate chip up in the neutral zone and you put a second win in the win column.

UWisco
01-04-2015, 11:03 AM
A win is a win is a win. The shot totals were indicative of the play. The Badgers were badly outplayed, but as hockey sometimes has a way of working things out, a goalie standing on his head, a few helpful posts, a fortunate chip up in the neutral zone and you put a second win in the win column.

Badger shot totals could have easily been in the 30's if they were on net or didn't get blocked.

markwojo
01-04-2015, 11:36 AM
Badger shot totals could have easily been in the 30's if they were on net or didn't get blocked.

I hope you are being facetious. If not, see below where Tech attempted 102 shots. Had Tech not misfired on some (pretty sure every team in every game misses some) and Badgers not gotten in the way of some others, Rumps might have post traumatic stress disorder and be waking up months from now in a cold sweat flinching.

WiscDC
01-04-2015, 12:40 PM
You know what was weird? The Badgers defense did a great job defensively, but only within about 8 feet of the goal. They would allow a scoring chance easily, then win every puck battle right next to the goal, allowing the fans to exhale. (Actually, now that I think about it, they did an okay job keeping a fairly large number (out of a much larger number) of those shots on goal from being dangerous, but with such a large number of shots total, I'm not trying to sugar-coat the possession picture in this one.)

It certainly wasn't just Rumpel who improved from the previous night, but it's not like improving from the previous night means they're actually playing well overall. MTU certainly outplayed the Badgers in many areas of the game, and Rumpel was easily the star of this game, but hey - he's on the Badgers, so I'll enjoy it!

Taking the opponent and all the other events this year into account, this was a great win for this team this year.

vizoroo
01-04-2015, 06:22 PM
It's about **** time Rumpel stole a game. Everything else in the game seems to be concerning, but at least one piece was good tonight.

I said it during your losing steak,"couldn't understand how Rumpel hadn't at least stolen a game or two."
He certainly made a statement last night, I'm Back!

Wisko McBadgerton
01-05-2015, 01:05 PM
The shot totals were indicative of the play. The Badgers were badly outplayed,

Not sure I can really go along on this. Earlier I posted that the Badgers had slightly more puck possession in the first two. When I scored it on replay I had 5x5 quality chances at 13-15 Tech. I had sog @ 24-49, but I also had Tech with 19 sog with a man advantage, (including 6x5 time) while obviously the only shot the Badgers had on the PP went in. That could be totally wrong but I'd like to think the advantage of replay helps some.

Probably 70% of Tech shots were pretty harmless launches from the perimeter or bad-off balance flings, and Rumps rarely gave up the rebounds. Personally I'd say Tech actually shot too much as silly as that sounds. With Rumps not giving anything back, they probably should have worked for better shots more. I agree with DC that Wisconsin was very good around their own net, better than the Huskies were. Rumps said post game it was easier than it looked out there, and upon review, excluding a couple pp chances and about the last 10 minutes where he sprinkled in some huge stops, it generally was.

Tech is a better team and had the better of play overall and took a lot of shots and created some very good chances on the pp, but I can't agree that 47-19 sog score tells the story or that Bucky was "badly outplayed." Badgers did what they wanted to do based on Friday's game which was not give up odd man rushes (they didn't), win puck battles and faceoffs, (which they did) and keep shots to the outside. (which they did mostly).

Lots to work on, but they played well enough to have a chance. That they won is a great and much needed bonus.

WiscTJK
01-05-2015, 01:40 PM
Not sure I can really go along on this. Earlier I posted that the Badgers had slightly more puck possession in the first two. When I scored it on replay I had 5x5 quality chances at 13-15 Tech. I had sog @ 24-49, but I also had Tech with 19 sog with a man advantage, (including 6x5 time) while obviously the only shot the Badgers had on the PP went in. That could be totally wrong but I'd like to think the advantage of replay helps some.

Probably 70% of Tech shots were pretty harmless launches from the perimeter or bad-off balance flings, and Rumps rarely gave up the rebounds. Personally I'd say Tech actually shot too much as silly as that sounds. With Rumps not giving anything back, they probably should have worked for better shots more. I agree with DC that Wisconsin was very good around their own net, better than the Huskies were. Rumps said post game it was easier than it looked out there, and upon review, excluding a couple pp chances and about the last 10 minutes where he sprinkled in some huge stops, it generally was.

Tech is a better team and had the better of play overall and took a lot of shots and created some very good chances on the pp, but I can't agree that 47-19 sog score tells the story or that Bucky was "badly outplayed." Badgers did what they wanted to do based on Friday's game which was not give up odd man rushes (they didn't), win puck battles and faceoffs, (which they did) and keep shots to the outside. (which they did mostly).

Lots to work on, but they played well enough to have a chance. That they won is a great and much needed bonus.

I wish I had your optimism. A bad power play turned into a goal by Soleway poking it forward to Zulinick for the goal. That was their only shot because the power play sucked up to that point. And the third period they were on their heals the whole time. But a win is a win, I guess.