PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Almington
01-03-2015, 01:08 PM
yes, solo is in love :)

hard to believe from my pessimistic posts that I actually have a heart but it's in there somewhere;)

Believe or not, while I've disagreed with many of your conclusions, I've never doubted that you came from place where you wanted UW to return to the greatness it once had.

As it turns out, you were very correct that Eaves was the problem and needed to go.

Koho
01-03-2015, 01:21 PM
If there's anyone out there who thinks Eaves should stay beyond this season I'd love to hear the argument for that.

Are only Bucky fans allowed to reply to this?

Almington
01-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Are only Bucky fans allowed to reply to this?

You can, but in my experience when a rival is sad to see a coach go, it was time for that coach to go.

Chuck Schwartz
01-03-2015, 01:56 PM
I made a poll over at B5Q to see if fans think Wisconsin needs to find a new coach. I'll be curious to see the results, as obviously it's not just hockey fans over there.

LINK (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisconsin-badgers-mens-hockey/2015/1/3/7486365/wisconsin-hockey-mike-eaves)

Bonin21
01-03-2015, 02:00 PM
In the end they're right, but won't a lot of fans that know nothing about hockey just look at the record and vote based off of that? Also, the article before the poll tears into him, which would impact voters.

Seawolf Fan
01-03-2015, 02:13 PM
You can, but in my experience when a rival is sad to see a coach go, it was time for that coach to go.

If my vote counts please, please, please keep coach Eaves!

solovsfett
01-03-2015, 02:27 PM
Believe or not, while I've disagreed with many of your conclusions, I've never doubted that you came from place where you wanted UW to return to the greatness it once had.

As it turns out, you were very correct that Eaves was the problem and needed to go.

Thanks Almington! We both want what's best for UW Hockey (or what we each perceive is best) and that's a return to greatness. So fundamentally we agree on what we want as the outcome:)

burd
01-03-2015, 02:55 PM
Not many, including opponents' fans, think Eaves should remain--the evidence is just too ****ing. What is most interesting is what is making him fail. When Eaves first took over, he brought an intensity and sense of purpose that seemed to have drained out of Sauer. There was more energy and focus in the program. The discipline seemed to work for him. He receives a lot of criticism now for his advanced roster planning and for what seems to be a rigid style of discipline. I know those opinions have been expressed around here for a long time, but UW's choice of who should succeed him will depend in part on what the powers that be think Eaves is doing wrong. With UW's hockey tradition, fine academic reputation, and A-1 campus environment to lure recruits, the right replacement and a few years' recruiting ought to bring about significant change fairly quickly.

I know one thing: it's not just Badger fans who need UW to get its hockey mojo back. College hockey needs it.

Bonin21
01-03-2015, 02:59 PM
advanced roster planning
So that's what they're calling it these days.

burd
01-03-2015, 03:05 PM
So that's what they're calling it these days.

That does sound kind of dumb, doesn't it.

UCBadger
01-03-2015, 04:24 PM
I've heard Tony is open to going to the college game for the stability factor. Would be my first call if I was BA.

I ask you all......what is the problem with this idea?

stuckinwi
01-03-2015, 04:29 PM
Not many, including opponents' fans, think Eaves should remain--the evidence is just too ****ing. What is most interesting is what is making him fail. When Eaves first took over, he brought an intensity and sense of purpose that seemed to have drained out of Sauer. There was more energy and focus in the program. The discipline seemed to work for him. He receives a lot of criticism now for his advanced roster planning and for what seems to be a rigid style of discipline. I know those opinions have been expressed around here for a long time, but UW's choice of who should succeed him will depend in part on what the powers that be think Eaves is doing wrong. With UW's hockey tradition, fine academic reputation, and A-1 campus environment to lure recruits, the right replacement and a few years' recruiting ought to bring about significant change fairly quickly.

I know one thing: it's not just Badger fans who need UW to get its hockey mojo back. College hockey needs it.

This is spot on. Opposing fan here. I've been to many games at the Kohl center that go a bit differently.... This is very tough to admit, but I honestly felt bad for you guys last night. We should NEVER be able to out cheer a Badger crowd. I remember seeing the crease creatures all the way to the top of the building and being impressed by them. By the end of the game last night there were only 3 rows. I understand it's break... and we are just lowly Tech, but that's nuts. Also, are they not allowed to do the a**hole chant anymore? That was missing last night as well. Usually it comes quickly to us.

There was just no fire or speed at all. 50/50 pucks went to us with little challenge it seemed. Out skated on rushes to give up a man advantage a lot.

I can't imagine Eaves stays after this year... it would be mind boggling to me to see a proud big ten program not make a change after this year. You guys aren't Ohio State, hockey should mean something here...

UCBadger
01-03-2015, 04:39 PM

You guys aren't Ohio State, hockey should mean something here...

Hey, you guys are making me cry! :(:(:(

GoBucky!
01-03-2015, 05:19 PM
Looking for some glimmer of hope that Eaves will be gone before next year. Is there any chance the UW buys out his contract? Better yet, any chance Barry could persuade him to step down?

ExileOnDaytonStreet
01-03-2015, 05:21 PM
It's nice to know that opposing fans view our hockey program in higher esteem than 95% of our fans and 100% of our athletic department.

Tipsy McStagger
01-03-2015, 05:30 PM

Really? Why is that?

Bonin21
01-03-2015, 05:54 PM
I'm totally cool with the badgers being terrible. They let us know when we weren't very good.

WiscDC
01-03-2015, 06:01 PM
This is spot on. Opposing fan here. I've been to many games at the Kohl center that go a bit differently.... This is very tough to admit, but I honestly felt bad for you guys last night. We should NEVER be able to out cheer a Badger crowd. I remember seeing the crease creatures all the way to the top of the building and being impressed by them. By the end of the game last night there were only 3 rows. I understand it's break... and we are just lowly Tech, but that's nuts. Also, are they not allowed to do the a**hole chant anymore? That was missing last night as well. Usually it comes quickly to us.

I definitely heard at least 3 a**hole chants, though not all of them really took off. It's less likely to happen as most people here don't hate MTU and the overwhelming majority of MTU fans seemed perfectly pleasant. Even that loud group of Huskies fans in 210(?) were fine, and we did a few chants in response (anything is better than "a**hole" - I never do that one), in addition to just doing a "let's go red" to drown them out after MTU goals and build a wall of sound around Peterson.

It'll be interesting to see what the student section is like moving forward, considering the results so far. From what I've seen, it's been pretty great this year for the 3 games that didn't conflict with the Big Ten football championship or holidays/breaks.

I was a little surprised by how many MTU fans were in the building, but then I thought for 2 seconds and wasn't surprised. Winning team against a bad team? Seems like it might be worth a trip. As far as out-cheering UW fans is concerned, I'd like the old people to be louder, but after things fell apart, there wasn't much to cheer about - not with intensity, anyway.

srkbadger
01-03-2015, 06:06 PM
It sure appears that this team has quit on the coaches. If so, I'm not sure there's anything they can do to get them back. Eaves' style suggest he will put the screws to them, likely pushing them even further over the edge. A change must be made, Mike Eaves is not bigger than this program. Bring in the whole freaking Granato family. Tony lived on my floor in the dorms his freshman year. Great guy, great family. They came up for every home game, and his dad brought the Stoh's for the public television replays after the game. When you couldn't read lips on the rebroadcast, Tony would fill in the dialogue.

bucky15
01-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Looking for some glimmer of hope that Eaves will be gone before next year. Is there any chance the UW buys out his contract? Better yet, any chance Barry could persuade him to step down?

I wonder if Barry lets him save face and step down, if Eaves would still get his buyout.