This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

From the Wisconsin State Journal, May 12, 2001 – An article about Jeff Sauer’s contract not getting extended. Pat Richter said he planned to talk with Sauer this summer and “reach some kind of conclusion as to how we can get the program to be the consistent success that we think it can be” “We should have the ability to be a premier program in the country”

I know Barry doesn’t care about hockey, but he does care about money. I hope that’s enough to get him motivated.
    Wisconsin Badgers

National Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90 & 2006

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      I started to back track classes in an effort to answer part of the "How did we get here?" question. If I get time, maybe I'll finish it and post something with details as to who went where, and why, in the next day or two regarding that.

It goes further back, but one thing I'd say up front is that the current classes with 6 Sr. and 3 Jr. (so 9 upperclassmen with 3 goalies and 6 skaters) started as classes of 9 (now Sr.) and 6 (now Jr.) for a total of 15 would-be upperclassmen. And the third goalie should have been a Soph position this year. That's 13 upperclassmen skaters vs. the 6 we actually still have. (or 5 being minus Eddie for 9 games)
      That's still on Eaves...as far as attrition for whatever reasons. Every high end school has attrition to pro's, lack of success/kids getting passed over/pushed out, academics, criminal issues and none of that should even remotely be a surprise to a coach of Eaves experience. When you recruit in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ect round draft picks...you know they aren't likely to be there 3 much less 4 years. For every Turris or Suter who you hoped to get an extra year out of then you ultimately did, you end up with a McDonagh that stays maybe a year longer then you would think going into it. I would not want Eaves job in trying to keep 25 players happy as well as having a dozen commits in the pipeline and several dozen prospects you are scouting and trying to keep in good graces with so you can recruit them as you need them/they develop...but that is why he gets paid the big bucks. Eaves has been an abysmal failure when it comes to roster management and after 3 cycles of it....we are well on our way to the 4th cycle in 3 years when this current freshmen class (and the 6 commits that just signed for next fall with whatever else Eaves brings in over the Spring/Summer) bubble works itself through the program. I don't know what the answers are exactly....but I don't have Eaves paycheck where I'm supposed to figure it out either.

Comment

Well now we know there will be a new coach on campus soon...
        WISCONSIN BADGERS
        NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
        WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
        B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
        Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
          Well now we know there will be a new coach on campus soon...
          I think we need a new AD. Time for Barry to go...
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Well, the football program inexplicably being a clusterfrak can only mean good things for Eaves' job security.

Unless people think Barry('s minion) wants to look for a new hockey coach while he's dealing with this nonsense.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

he says the football program won't take a step backward..... Hockey program - apparently he doesnt care.
              gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

Comment

We criticize an 18 yo for leaving a program, how about a coach leaving his recruits.

Eaves is safe for awhile, BA will be too busy coaching a bowl game.

Comment

Originally posted by oldicecoach View Post
                  We criticize an 18 yo for leaving a program, how about a coach leaving his recruits.
                  Yeah, seriously. I don't give two ****s about Ford leaving compared to this.
                  If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Never been a fan of Barry A. Holding the 2016 FF in Tampa instead of Milwaukee was the final straw, he has got to go now.
                    UW Hockey NCAA Champs 73, 77, 81, 83, 90, 06

Comment

Strongly doubt that BA would be directly involved in the hockey coach search anyway. He'd have oversight, but would delegate the legwork.

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                        I'm starting to think the same thing...well, not starting to. But I suspect the Athletic Board will turn the table (like in Office Space with the Bob's and the manager) maybe start asking Barry some tough questions, not only about the football program but the hockey program which is in shambles. The "I'm not a hockey guy" schtick works when you're football program is humming along but now, there's a pattern developing. As for football (and I'll end the football talk after this) Bielema was an a-hole and an egomaniac so his leaving for the SEC to see if he could win there (no) I can handle. But Anderson leaving Wisconsin for only the 2nd best college football team in a state with no football talent is mind-boggling.
                        Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                          He said this is the last football coach he will hire, so maybe we should hope it's another short-tenured coach who leaves, thus forcing Barry to leave too.
                          Randy Schmidt should be / has been fired.
                          Exhibit A | Exhibit B

Help Cure MS
                          sigpic
                          Donate

Wisconsin Hockey: "When you say WISCONSIN, you've said it all!"
                          1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006

Circle, circle, dot, dot, dot...

Comment

Barry isn't going anywhere until Barry decides to leave.

Other than the men's hockey team, the department is in incredible shape. By any measure, overall, he's doing his job and doing it well.

Comment

I dislike Barry like everyone else, but Gurt is right, most programs are doing great. Football team is doing about the same as it has the last 20 years, not national title contender, but Big 10 contender. Basketball team is better than ever (arguably). Women's Hockey is the 2nd best program in the country. Women's Volleyball has become a national power all of a sudden. Women's Soccer had a great year. Cross Country teams continue to do great. Not sure about Spring sports; do we have spring sports?

Outside of Men's Hockey and Women's Basketball, the top teams (FB and BB) and the second tier sports are generally doing very well. I'm sure there are some that I missed, but I don't follow the Women's Pickle-ball team closely.

Barry sucks, is an a-hole, and a crappy human being, but he is running a pretty good ship overall; hate to say it. While I liked Gary Anderson, I didn't think that was "good enough" for UW 2 years ago. We should be swinging a lot higher. As for Eaves...2006 and 2010 bought him a lot of time, especially when hockey is no longer the school's sport focus.
                              Sixty Minutes. No Alibis. No Regrets.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet
                              Well... Baggott does kind of suck.
                              Originally posted by UWisco
                              It's funny, there is actually a "team" performing worse than the hockey team at the KC this year. The ushers/security are completely worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                Barry isn't going anywhere until Barry decides to leave.

Other than the men's hockey team, the department is in incredible shape. By any measure, overall, he's doing his job and doing it well.
                                I agree with you...wishful thinking I guess. My frustration is with the men's hockey as that is the one I follow closest by far. He gives the appearance of not caring, but maybe if the revenues drop enough from hockey they will start caring.

Comment

Working...
                                X