PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

TUSCHWI
12-10-2014, 01:57 PM
And the part about the 1-10-1 start “didn’t have that much to do with it.” Give me a break.

Agreed.

WiscTJK
12-10-2014, 02:08 PM
He was a leader. Not the leader.

Good correction as I did type that incorrectly.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
12-10-2014, 02:08 PM
I'm sure the slow start matters, but as others have noted this has to be something deeper than just "oh we aren't winning right now". I mean, why else would he even bother being open to playing for another D-I program in 2016-17?

Timothy A
12-10-2014, 02:10 PM
I was curious about this 4 year cycle thing, how true is it really?, so I tossed this together.

Here's the record of Zengerlee's Class:
Sr: 24-11-2 ncaa
Jr: 22-13-7 ncaa (by the skin of their teeth)
So: 17-18-2
Fr: 21-16-4

Here's the Davies/Geoffrion class record:
Sr: 28-11-4 ncaa
Jr: 20-16-4
So: 16-17-7
Fr: 19-18-4

Here's the Gilbert/Burish class record:
Sr: 30-10-3 ncaa
Jr: 23-14-4 ncaa
So: 22-13-8 ncaa
Fr: 13-23-4

Here's the average records of these class by year:
Sr: 27-11-4
Jr: 22-14-5
So: 18-16-6
Fr: 18-19-4

Pretty darn true, though there's a lot of moving parts with departures. Interestingly, each Fr class was hit hard by early departures, which skews that performance to a lower level. So in the end I think Eaves' Achilles heal has been early departures and under performing Fr.

Wisko McBadgerton
12-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Interestingly, each Fr class was hit hard by early departures, which skews that performance to a lower level. So in the end I think Eaves' Achilles heal has been early departures and under performing Fr.

I started to back track classes in an effort to answer part of the "How did we get here?" question. If I get time, maybe I'll finish it and post something with details as to who went where, and why, in the next day or two regarding that.

It goes further back, but one thing I'd say up front is that the current classes with 6 Sr. and 3 Jr. (so 9 upperclassmen with 3 goalies and 6 skaters) started as classes of 9 (now Sr.) and 6 (now Jr.) for a total of 15 would-be upperclassmen. And the third goalie should have been a Soph position this year. That's 13 upperclassmen skaters vs. the 6 we actually still have. (or 5 being minus Eddie for 9 games)

GoBucky!
12-10-2014, 04:09 PM
From the Wisconsin State Journal, May 12, 2001 – An article about Jeff Sauer’s contract not getting extended. Pat Richter said he planned to talk with Sauer this summer and “reach some kind of conclusion as to how we can get the program to be the consistent success that we think it can be” “We should have the ability to be a premier program in the country”

I know Barry doesn’t care about hockey, but he does care about money. I hope that’s enough to get him motivated.

markwojo
12-10-2014, 04:39 PM
I started to back track classes in an effort to answer part of the "How did we get here?" question. If I get time, maybe I'll finish it and post something with details as to who went where, and why, in the next day or two regarding that.

It goes further back, but one thing I'd say up front is that the current classes with 6 Sr. and 3 Jr. (so 9 upperclassmen with 3 goalies and 6 skaters) started as classes of 9 (now Sr.) and 6 (now Jr.) for a total of 15 would-be upperclassmen. And the third goalie should have been a Soph position this year. That's 13 upperclassmen skaters vs. the 6 we actually still have. (or 5 being minus Eddie for 9 games)

That's still on Eaves...as far as attrition for whatever reasons. Every high end school has attrition to pro's, lack of success/kids getting passed over/pushed out, academics, criminal issues and none of that should even remotely be a surprise to a coach of Eaves experience. When you recruit in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, ect round draft picks...you know they aren't likely to be there 3 much less 4 years. For every Turris or Suter who you hoped to get an extra year out of then you ultimately did, you end up with a McDonagh that stays maybe a year longer then you would think going into it. I would not want Eaves job in trying to keep 25 players happy as well as having a dozen commits in the pipeline and several dozen prospects you are scouting and trying to keep in good graces with so you can recruit them as you need them/they develop...but that is why he gets paid the big bucks. Eaves has been an abysmal failure when it comes to roster management and after 3 cycles of it....we are well on our way to the 4th cycle in 3 years when this current freshmen class (and the 6 commits that just signed for next fall with whatever else Eaves brings in over the Spring/Summer) bubble works itself through the program. I don't know what the answers are exactly....but I don't have Eaves paycheck where I'm supposed to figure it out either.

UWisco
12-10-2014, 05:54 PM
Well now we know there will be a new coach on campus soon...

WiscTJK
12-10-2014, 06:12 PM
Well now we know there will be a new coach on campus soon...

I think we need a new AD. Time for Barry to go...

ExileOnDaytonStreet
12-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Well, the football program inexplicably being a clusterfrak can only mean good things for Eaves' job security.

Unless people think Barry('s minion) wants to look for a new hockey coach while he's dealing with this nonsense.

WiscTJK
12-10-2014, 06:23 PM
he says the football program won't take a step backward..... Hockey program - apparently he doesnt care.

oldicecoach
12-10-2014, 06:33 PM
We criticize an 18 yo for leaving a program, how about a coach leaving his recruits.

Eaves is safe for awhile, BA will be too busy coaching a bowl game.

ExileOnDaytonStreet
12-10-2014, 06:38 PM
We criticize an 18 yo for leaving a program, how about a coach leaving his recruits.

Yeah, seriously. I don't give two ****s about Ford leaving compared to this.

Terry Switzer
12-10-2014, 06:42 PM
Never been a fan of Barry A. Holding the 2016 FF in Tampa instead of Milwaukee was the final straw, he has got to go now.

Gurtholfin
12-10-2014, 07:15 PM
Strongly doubt that BA would be directly involved in the hockey coach search anyway. He'd have oversight, but would delegate the legwork.

TUSCHWI
12-11-2014, 10:25 AM
I think we need a new AD. Time for Barry to go...

I'm starting to think the same thing...well, not starting to. But I suspect the Athletic Board will turn the table (like in Office Space with the Bob's and the manager) maybe start asking Barry some tough questions, not only about the football program but the hockey program which is in shambles. The "I'm not a hockey guy" schtick works when you're football program is humming along but now, there's a pattern developing. As for football (and I'll end the football talk after this) Bielema was an a-hole and an egomaniac so his leaving for the SEC to see if he could win there (no) I can handle. But Anderson leaving Wisconsin for only the 2nd best college football team in a state with no football talent is mind-boggling.

icebadger
12-11-2014, 10:35 AM
I think we need a new AD. Time for Barry to go...He said this is the last football coach he will hire, so maybe we should hope it's another short-tenured coach who leaves, thus forcing Barry to leave too. :p

Gurtholfin
12-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Barry isn't going anywhere until Barry decides to leave.

Other than the men's hockey team, the department is in incredible shape. By any measure, overall, he's doing his job and doing it well.

Gandalf the Red
12-11-2014, 11:38 AM
I dislike Barry like everyone else, but Gurt is right, most programs are doing great. Football team is doing about the same as it has the last 20 years, not national title contender, but Big 10 contender. Basketball team is better than ever (arguably). Women's Hockey is the 2nd best program in the country. Women's Volleyball has become a national power all of a sudden. Women's Soccer had a great year. Cross Country teams continue to do great. Not sure about Spring sports; do we have spring sports?

Outside of Men's Hockey and Women's Basketball, the top teams (FB and BB) and the second tier sports are generally doing very well. I'm sure there are some that I missed, but I don't follow the Women's Pickle-ball team closely.

Barry sucks, is an a-hole, and a crappy human being, but he is running a pretty good ship overall; hate to say it. While I liked Gary Anderson, I didn't think that was "good enough" for UW 2 years ago. We should be swinging a lot higher. As for Eaves...2006 and 2010 bought him a lot of time, especially when hockey is no longer the school's sport focus.

WiscTJK
12-11-2014, 11:41 AM
Barry isn't going anywhere until Barry decides to leave.

Other than the men's hockey team, the department is in incredible shape. By any measure, overall, he's doing his job and doing it well.

I agree with you...wishful thinking I guess. My frustration is with the men's hockey as that is the one I follow closest by far. He gives the appearance of not caring, but maybe if the revenues drop enough from hockey they will start caring.