PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

Gurtholfin
11-25-2014, 02:23 PM
Students will be out of town, so paid attendance may be quite different than what is actually there.

Wisko McBadgerton
11-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Students will be out of town, so paid attendance may be quite different than what is actually there.

Too bad. There will be some Crease Creatures pretty disappointed to miss Bucky's first win.

Maybe the boys can hold out for another week?

icebadger
11-26-2014, 09:06 AM
A few Packer players were asked which Badger sporting event they would like to see. Here is one player's response:

"Hockey because they’re actually a good team. They’ve been to a few Frozen Fours, haven’t they?"

Link (http://blog.packers.com/2014/11/25/wisconsin-favorites-badgers-football-hockey-or-basketball/?adbid=10152782731265073&adbpl=fb&adbpr=71671905072&campaign=marketing_20141125_36247817)

ExileOnDaytonStreet
11-26-2014, 09:56 AM
A few Packer players were asked which Badger sporting event they would like to see. Here is one player's response:

"Hockey because they’re actually a good team. They’ve been to a few Frozen Fours, haven’t they?"

Link (http://blog.packers.com/2014/11/25/wisconsin-favorites-badgers-football-hockey-or-basketball/?adbid=10152782731265073&adbpl=fb&adbpr=71671905072&campaign=marketing_20141125_36247817)

Also, Mason Crosby: "Hockey, because I haven’t seen a hockey game yet. They have a lot of die-hard fans and a really good team."

You can't blame them for not paying attention to this year's team. How are they to know better?

Chuck Schwartz
11-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Blake Geoffrion and John Buccigross will be at the Nitty Gritty next Thursday night before the series vs. Penn State

LINK (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisconsin-badgers-mens-hockey/2014/11/26/7295489/john-buccigross-blake-geoffrion-to-make-appearance-at-the-nitty-gritty)

Wisko McBadgerton
11-26-2014, 01:35 PM
Blake Geoffrion and John Buccigross will be at the Nitty Gritty next Thursday night before the series vs. Penn State

LINK (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/wisconsin-badgers-mens-hockey/2014/11/26/7295489/john-buccigross-blake-geoffrion-to-make-appearance-at-the-nitty-gritty)

I believe Blake was born in February so I'm assuming then that it must be Buccigross's birthday.

WiscDC
11-26-2014, 05:09 PM
Also, Mason Crosby: "Hockey, because I haven’t seen a hockey game yet. They have a lot of die-hard fans and a really good team."

You can't blame them for not paying attention to this year's team. How are they to know better?

I'm somewhat surprised that either of them knew even that much (and the program's long-term reputation). Then again, I have no idea what Badger hockey coverage is like around the state.

Timothy A
11-27-2014, 07:11 AM
I'm somewhat surprised that either of them knew even that much (and the program's long-term reputation). Then again, I have no idea what Badger hockey coverage is like around the state.

I live an hr from Milwaukee and Madison, so we get tv stations from both in the cable package and the on the Milwaukee area tv stations it's nearly zero. Milwaukee newpapers also cover games sparsly. They may pick up a 5 line AP report once and awhile. I'm also curious about Duluth, Green Bay, Eau Claire, Point, Wausau and the like. This is where the tragedy of UW not being on public TV comes into play. That got UW hockey to every corner of the state for many years. Now sadly as time has marched on there's less UW hockey on TV than ever. Just about every home game was on PBS. It was a great thing, even on Grandma W's old black and white 13" tv with the attached antenna.

I wonder if UW will have a Black Friday sale like they did last year, though those were just 3rd tier seats more than a few rows back.

Wisko McBadgerton
11-27-2014, 02:34 PM
Turns out that even with the Badgers at 0-8, turkey is still delicious.

Happy Thanksgiving Badger Fans.

solovsfett
11-27-2014, 09:27 PM
I live an hr from Milwaukee and Madison, so we get tv stations from both in the cable package and the on the Milwaukee area tv stations it's nearly zero. Milwaukee newpapers also cover games sparsly. They may pick up a 5 line AP report once and awhile. I'm also curious about Duluth, Green Bay, Eau Claire, Point, Wausau and the like. This is where the tragedy of UW not being on public TV comes into play. That got UW hockey to every corner of the state for many years. Now sadly as time has marched on there's less UW hockey on TV than ever. Just about every home game was on PBS. It was a great thing, even on Grandma W's old black and white 13" tv with the attached antenna.

I wonder if UW will have a Black Friday sale like they did last year, though those were just 3rd tier seats more than a few rows back.

You nailed it TimothyA. The Wisconsin Public Television Broadcasts or re-broadcasts were essential to the growth of hockey and UW Hockey in this state. The Milwaukee Journal sucks at covering UW Hockey, they're barely an afterthought. But hey enough w/the negativity, it was a great turkey day!!!

Almington
11-27-2014, 10:46 PM
Didn't Puck Swami stop posting here because of reactions to some of his posts by players or their families?

Yes, he was confronted by a very belligerent family member or close friend of a member of the Denver team.

Parents, friends, and other relatives of the players ABSOLUTELY read this thread (and board in general), as do recruits and their parents. Given the amount of hockey those parents have watched, they usually can see the truth behind the majority of criticism.

This isn't a particularly good team, that much is obvious at 0-8. The problem isn't the talent of the individual players, but the overall construction of the roster (plus some unfortunate injuries).
I have no doubt the players are doing their very best to win games because they hate losing even more than us fans, but given the constrains placed on the players I'm not expecting much from the rest of the season.

To be fair, I''ve also decided to only to care as much as the AD about the results over the rest of the season. I'd rather embrace Barry's apparent apathy than the hopeless bleak despair that is running rampant.

Timothy A
11-28-2014, 07:55 AM
it was a great turkey day!!!

Yes it was, though da Bears coulda helped da Pack out and beat the Lions. And the fact that my lovely and awesome wife forgot to put the sugar in the pumpkin pie!

It's a great day for hockey!

Timothy A
11-28-2014, 09:48 AM

Well, Tim, there is a black Friday Special. I just bought 4 tickets for the Meechigan Saturday game, 3rd tier, 1st row. It's now a double barrell UW hockey day as we're also going the gal's game against Clarkson @ 2pm. Here's the big question. If I park in the lot off Regent by the RR tracks for the gal's game, walk to to State St for supper, and then go to the guy's game, will I get a ticket for not having a parking pass for the men's game?

Chuck Schwartz
11-28-2014, 11:04 AM
I wrote about Wisconsin's 0-8 start, in case anyone is looking for reading material today.

LINK (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2014/11/28/7274049/wisconsin-hockey-mike-eaves)

UWisco
11-28-2014, 11:14 AM
I wrote about Wisconsin's 0-8 start, in case anyone is looking for reading material today.

LINK (http://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2014/11/28/7274049/wisconsin-hockey-mike-eaves)

Good read, Chuck.

Wisko McBadgerton
11-28-2014, 11:54 AM

Kudos on the work and the article, Andy.

Wisko McBadgerton
11-28-2014, 01:02 PM
From Chucks article:
If you're creating 25 shot attempts by carrying the puck in the zone 31 times, and creating three attempts by dumping the puck in the zone 33 times, what does that say to you? Stop dumping the puck in the zone, right? Seems obvious.

I had a question about Chuck's stats, but I answered it myself, which led me to thinking about it a bit more and instead I thought I might present an alternative conclusion here.

The Badgers shot 25 times on their 48% zone entry vs UND's 56%... It seems to me that achieving 58% zone entry against a very good team is perhaps a reasonable expectation. It's starts getting very difficult quickly to raise that percentage as good teams are still going to force dumps at reasonably high rates. But let's say the Badgers increase entries by 10% though. That equates to about 37 entries and at that high shot rate, 4 or 5 more SOG in that game.

On the other hand, good teams get one third to one half as many shots on dump-ins as they do on carry ins, which in this instance should be 8-12 shots. The Badgers had 3. In other words, the Badgers obviously did not retrieve the puck. Had they done a reasonable job, they would have produced 5-9 more SOG.

Since a certain number of dumps are going to occur in every game anyway, it seems to me that there is more hay to be made for this team at the moment by working harder on their forecheck, winning more battles and retrieving the puck more efficiently.

Having said that, both are important, and both need improvement, just positing it's not all one or other.

Chuck Schwartz
11-28-2014, 03:24 PM
From Chucks article:

I had a question about Chuck's stats, but I answered it myself, which led me to thinking about it a bit more and instead I thought I might present an alternative conclusion here.

The Badgers shot 25 times on their 48% zone entry vs UND's 56%... It seems to me that achieving 58% zone entry against a very good team is perhaps a reasonable expectation. It's starts getting very difficult quickly to raise that percentage as good teams are still going to force dumps at reasonably high rates. But let's say the Badgers increase entries by 10% though. That equates to about 37 entries and at that high shot rate, 4 or 5 more SOG in that game.

On the other hand, good teams get one third to one half as many shots on dump-ins as they do on carry ins, which in this instance should be 8-12 shots. The Badgers had 3. In other words, the Badgers obviously did not retrieve the puck. Had they done a reasonable job, they would have produced 5-9 more SOG.

Since a certain number of dumps are going to occur in every game anyway, it seems to me that there is more hay to be made for this team at the moment by working harder on their forecheck, winning more battles and retrieving the puck more efficiently.

Having said that, both are important, and both need improvement, just positing it's not all one or other.

It's a fair point for sure. I wish I would have talked about that. There's no question Wisconsin has done a horrible job of puck retrieval this season. I've been telling that to anyone who was willing to listen all season. It was especially bad in the series vs. North Dakota because they have a strong defensive core that moves the puck very well. There were dozens of Wisconsin dumps that were picked up by the UND defenders, one pass was made and they were out of the zone.

Wisko McBadgerton
11-28-2014, 04:29 PM
It's a fair point for sure. I wish I would have talked about that. There's no question Wisconsin has done a horrible job of puck retrieval this season. I've been telling that to anyone who was willing to listen all season. It was especially bad in the series vs. North Dakota because they have a strong defensive core that moves the puck very well. There were dozens of Wisconsin dumps that were picked up by the UND defenders, one pass was made and they were out of the zone.

There are lots of ways to interpret all the info you produced for that game... One thing's for sure, we wouldn't even be thinking about it without the work you put into that article. Again, great job. If anybody else wants to spend time breaking down every game this year just like that for free... Well, not sure that's even a sentence worth completing.

Two things you touched on that I found fascinating:

Pretty interesting that the line of Hughes, Besse, and Zullinick are one the ice for such low carry in #'s... Rockwood, Soleway, and Labate's numbers there are at least halfway respectable as a group. I should be surprised, but now that I see the numbers, I think back and go "Yeah... That's actually a thing I've seen without really recognizing it!"

The other anomaly that stands out is Davison's 6 neutral zone breakups, but 1-5 dumps-to-carry-in's allowed. It appears he's being aggressive but I have a hard time deciding if it points to a good thing, or not?

Back on the Game front, per Bagott, Dougherty's back in... But now Rockwood is out with the flu... Ugh!

WiscDC
11-28-2014, 07:11 PM
It was sounding quieter during intros than the UAH game 2 years ago, and I wondered why. Then I noticed almost the entire west 100 side was sitting.