Merrimack 2014-2015: Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merrimack 2014-2015: Anyone?

Warriors have started off reasonably well, albeit the early season schedule not exactly against the iron of college hockey. 5-2-1 through 8. They really pushed a very good PC team last night @ Schneider, out shooting them 16-2 in the 3rd. Tirronen has been very solid so far, and some of the younger players (Hennig, Seney, Biega) don't look out of place in Hockey East. Hennig at 19 years old and Seney at 18 are a nice departure from the 20+ year old freshman model. Disappointed that the Plevy kid deserted them, would have added some offense, but that happens.
    We'll see how they do tonight at a sold out Lawler in the return match against the Friars.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: Merrimack 2014-2015: Anyone?

Originally posted by RENCEB View Post
    Warriors have started off reasonably well, albeit the early season schedule not exactly against the iron of college hockey. 5-2-1 through 8. They really pushed a very good PC team last night @ Schneider, out shooting them 16-2 in the 3rd. Tirronen has been very solid so far, and some of the younger players (Hennig, Seney, Biega) don't look out of place in Hockey East. Hennig at 19 years old and Seney at 18 are a nice departure from the 20+ year old freshman model. Disappointed that the Plevy kid deserted them, would have added some offense, but that happens.
    We'll see how they do tonight at a sold out Lawler in the return match against the Friars.
    Typical Merrimack team that plays hard with minimal offensive talent...Tirronen isn't going to LOSE games in Hockey East as he is solid.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Impressive showing last night. Playing some solid defense, they are going down to block shots again, PK looking great.. Seney is going to be fun to watch, he pulled some sick moves last night as well. It'll be interesting to see the rankings tomorrow.

I'm hoping the good word spreads and we get a few full houses for the Irish next weekend. Hope to see a few more people at Augie's, we have to keep them in business!

Comment

After this weekend I believe the team has a chance to get a home series in the playoffs. UConn is proving to be better than everyone expecting, which makes Merrimack more impressive. I Think Merrimack sneaks into the polls this week.
        Rinks Visited
        DCU Center
        Tulley Forum
        TD Garden
        Tsongas Arena
        J. Thom Lawler Arena
        Conte Forum
        Whittemore Center
        Agganis Arena
        Verizon Center
        Gutterson Fieldhouse
        Matthews Arena
        Thompson Arena
        Mullins Center
        Alfond Arena
        Schneider Arena
        Magness Arena
        Ingallas Arena
        Hart Center
        Prudential Center
        TD Bank Sports Center
        John A Ryan
        Lynah Rink
        Appleton Arena
        Cheel Arena
        Germain Arena
        XL Center
        Class of 1965 Arena

Comment

Latest poll is a sham. RPI and PWR of 8 after the split with PC this weekend? BC was 29th in the PWR and RPI and even dropped a game against UConn last week.

While I don't believe they should have cracked the top 10, at least a position on the board should have been merited. Their defense and goaltending will keep them middle of the pack and will fight for home ice in the HE playoffs. I only see BU and UML as clearly outclassing them. They will hang with the midpack of BC/PC/UND and need to make sure they are taking most of the points from the bottom feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by Modog View Post
            Latest poll is a sham. RPI and PWR of 8 after the split with PC this weekend? BC was 29th in the PWR and RPI and even dropped a game against UConn last week.

While I don't believe they should have cracked the top 10, at least a position on the board should have been merited. Their defense and goaltending will keep them middle of the pack and will fight for home ice in the HE playoffs. I only see BU and UML as clearly outclassing them. They will hang with the midpack of BC/PC/UND and need to make sure they are taking most of the points from the bottom feeders.
            The media polls are popularity contests. Go by the PWR and RPI that is what counts come March.

Comment

Originally posted by Modog View Post

Not surprised that they didn't crack the top 20, but mildly surprised that they had the same number of votes (51) as they had the previous week. It's really early, and although UML and BU (and how about UVM!) have started out strong, I wouldn't even consider calling BC/PC and ND "mid pack" (although there has been an uptick in Google searches for the "Samaritans Hotline" coming from Chestnut Hill). We're only 3 league games in, but if they sweep ND this weekend, I might revise my expectations!

Comment

Originally posted by steven22 View Post
                The media polls are popularity contests. Go by the PWR and RPI that is what counts come March.
                This is true. But RPI and PWR are not even close until there is a larger comparison base. No sense looking at them until late January or February. Best to just ignore the polls and just observe your team on the ice and come to your own conclusion.

As for me, I don't give a hoot what the pollsters or the PWR say about my team right now. IMO, if they continue to play like they did on Tuesday night, they won't win another game this season.
                'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

http://sbnation.com/e/6977780

Previewing Notre Dame at Merrimack
                  https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                  Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Ouch, that was a tough loss. Seney's goal was absolutely spectacular, curling in the neutral zone, flying down the left wing, and firing a laser wrist shot top corner. Dennehy said it reminded him of Brian Gionta type goal (oh, if only Seney turns out to be even even a bit of the player that Gionta was, what a find!).
                    Merrimack player (Gould?) really has to battle harder on that ND game winning goal. There's no doubt that the Warriors can stay with ND; hoping for a different result tonight.

Comment

why so many stripes on the jersey? just looks like too many to me

Comment

Way to bounce back. Very solid defensively and Tirronen was on his game (although not tested a whole lot). The freshman continue to impress, 2 goals for Tibbets, Hennig with 2 assists, and Seney with a beautiful assist on Tibbets' first goal.

Liking the way they are playing. Tons of blocked shots, nice mix of size and speed, a bit more offensive skill than they've had in recent years (post Da Costa).

Comment

Merrimack needs to stop the stupid starting line up announcement where they mumble the opposing team and do it in about 3 seconds. very juvenile...
                          This is not a third tier junior league in Moose jaw it is Hockey East. It is disespectful.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokydad View Post
                            Merrimack needs to stop the stupid starting line up announcement where they mumble the opposing team and do it in about 3 seconds. very juvenile...
                            This is not a third tier junior league in Moose jaw it is Hockey East. It is disespectful.
                            I come to USCHO Hockey East threads for all my lessons on respect.

Comment

hoky if it makes you feel any better, the road team introductions are routinely better than the home intros at conte

Comment

Working...
                              X