PDA

View Full Version : UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

TERRIERFANinLA
12-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Votefor jeanhaybright, TF F. You might not be a know it all but you have a good memory:)

bite your tongue... I do know it all... and

I sure miss AMCoffee, Revoman... and I know that south dakaota is backward.

rufus
12-16-2014, 03:38 PM
Outcoached the last ten minutes or so of the third period, I'd say.

I've said it before, I knew Maine would win the 1999 game against UHN about halfway through the third, when whenever a UHN player got the puck on his stick in his own end, all they would do was chip it out, hack it up ice, ice it, anything to get it off their stick and hopefully out of their zone. Must have taken ten or so unforced icings. Whereas Maine, Metcalf would calmly circle back behind his net, pick up the puck, and start the breakout into the NH end.

I knew Maine would lose that 2002 game against Minnie about halfway through the third period when they were the ones hacking the puck out, no one wanted anything to do with the puck on their stick in that situation, and they were the ones taking the unforced icings. Playing not to lose, the TIMMAY way.

DoubleA
12-16-2014, 11:58 PM
And for all the griping on here about Timmay! who else bothered to write the university president or speak to anyone in the athletic department about replacing the coach? No, posting here, MBR or joining a Facebook group don't count. An actual email or phone call to someone at the university with some say in the matter. Anyone? Bueller?
I did. To the AD. A 30 minute phone conversation in late Dec 2012.

BBDiehard14
12-17-2014, 11:21 AM
Some good news

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m-hockey/2014-15/releases/20141217mr3716

Priceless
12-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Some good news

http://www.goblackbears.com/sports/m-hockey/2014-15/releases/20141217mr3716

Coach Red Gendron and friends established the Grant Standbrook Maine Hockey Forever Fund this fall with a generous donation of 5% of his salary on an annual basis. The gift represents the largest gift ever made by a current coach at the University of Maine.
How much are they paying him?

all bear
12-17-2014, 01:19 PM
How much are they paying him?

About 170 grand or thereabouts. So he is contibuting about 8500 annually, a very generous contribution. I have 100 shares of a stock I will not likely ever cash out so I'm thinking no better place for it than in Grants name. His superb work has given me many fond memories over the years. I sure hope he is able to keep his fingers in the program in some form or fashion.

umhockey91
12-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Red Gendron is paid $205,000 per year.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/05/27/sports/umaine-names-red-gendron-its-fourth-head-mens-ice-hockey-coach/

rufus
12-17-2014, 02:06 PM
You know, it's really nice to see that Grant, with all his ties to and success with Wisconsin, has chosen in his retirement years to align himself so closely with the Maine Black Bears hockey program. I think it's a nice testament to how much he gave and contributed to the program, and how much the fans gave back to him.

BigAl
12-17-2014, 08:14 PM
Mid year poll from last week: http://q30television.com/2014/12/17/breaking-down-a-discussion-of-college-hockey-mid-year-polls-12814/

AMC
12-18-2014, 10:14 AM
You know, it's really nice to see that Grant, with all his ties to and success with Wisconsin, has chosen in his retirement years to align himself so closely with the Maine Black Bears hockey program. I think it's a nice testament to how much he gave and contributed to the program, and how much the fans gave back to him.

This is great of Red to do, but I don't like what it says structurally about our athletic program.

1. UMaine's athletic department is flat broke. Having the head coach have to give back 5% of his salary just to get to a baseline of spending is not a good thing. If UMaine isn't fully funding hockey the way they should, what ARE they fully funding?

2. We aren't paying coaches enough. I have no idea why, but I clicked on the front page article about UMD's women's coach not being retained. She was making more than Red. For coaching a WOMEN'S program. Tough to win if you aren't going to shell out for your coaches.

3. Which leads me to my annual statement that Maine needs to completely reconfigure its sports offerings. I'd love to drop football, but with the modest success they've had in the JV leagues lately, I realize that isn't going to happen.

umhockey91
12-18-2014, 11:28 AM
This is great of Red to do, but I don't like what it says structurally about our athletic program.

1. UMaine's athletic department is flat broke. Having the head coach have to give back 5% of his salary just to get to a baseline of spending is not a good thing. If UMaine isn't fully funding hockey the way they should, what ARE they fully funding?

2. We aren't paying coaches enough. I have no idea why, but I clicked on the front page article about UMD's women's coach not being retained. She was making more than Red. For coaching a WOMEN'S program. Tough to win if you aren't going to shell out for your coaches.

3. Which leads me to my annual statement that Maine needs to completely reconfigure its sports offerings. I'd love to drop football, but with the modest success they've had in the JV leagues lately, I realize that isn't going to happen.

1. Maine got hooked on selling out Alfond Arena 5K+ for 18 games every season. That doesn't happen anymore hence the shortfall. Thank-you Blake James. That weasel had no clue how to run this program.

2. Maine has never been able to pay their coaches........nothing to see here move along.

3. Maine cut men's soccer and volleyball a while ago. They can't and won't cut anything else.

It's important to note that Maine has many key benefactors and donors.......they have helped keep the program afloat. Maine can do some things to increase revenue......including having competitive basketball programs. Men's basketball is a growth sport at Maine......they get to a point where they can draw 3K...4K.......that will be a nice revenue generator down at the CIC that will help all sports at Maine.

BBDiehard14
12-18-2014, 11:33 AM
BU dropped football ages ago and it worked out just fine for them. Not suggesting UMaine should drop football, but Cosgrove's get out of jail free card should be on a short leash if every other season is 5-6

Priceless
12-18-2014, 03:18 PM
BU dropped football ages ago and it worked out just fine for them. Not suggesting UMaine should drop football, but Cosgrove's get out of jail free card should be on a short leash if every other season is 5-6

Maine can't drop any further programs and still remain a member of the NCAA. They require 15 sports programs and Maine has 15. Maine would have to add varsity lacrosse or something else to make up for the loss of football. I can't really see the school ever dropping football. Nothing else makes sense to drop. The swim teams should still be fully funded by that generous donation the Kings made when I was there, the field hockey team is usually nationally ranked and the track/field/X-C teams have had some success...and quite frankly cutting those teams would A) not save much money and B) reduce chances for Maine kids to receive a college education which is why the school exists in the first place.

all bear
12-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Cut football and add women's naked badminton. So simple.

UncleRay
12-18-2014, 09:58 PM
Sometimes AB is a genius, sometimes he's a blithering idiot.

AMC
12-18-2014, 10:39 PM
Maine can't drop any further programs and still remain a member of the NCAA. They require 15 sports programs and Maine has 15. Maine would have to add varsity lacrosse or something else to make up for the loss of football. I can't really see the school ever dropping football. Nothing else makes sense to drop. The swim teams should still be fully funded by that generous donation the Kings made when I was there, the field hockey team is usually nationally ranked and the track/field/X-C teams have had some success...and quite frankly cutting those teams would A) not save much money and B) reduce chances for Maine kids to receive a college education which is why the school exists in the first place.

Drop football, restart the soccer program.

umhockey91
12-18-2014, 11:38 PM
Drop football, restart the soccer program.

That'll really endear the Alfond family to UMaine.:rolleyes:

Ehh.....why not? We already drove Stephen King away.

Priceless
12-19-2014, 02:45 AM
Lomberg is apparently transferring to Miami

Josh Henke is going to Lake Superior.

walrus
12-19-2014, 04:47 AM
Josh Henke is going to Lake Superior.

Good for Josh, another sign that Orono is alot like lake state

umhockey91
12-19-2014, 10:21 AM
Good for Josh, another sign that Orono is alot like lake state

Whitehead recruit?