PDA

View Full Version : UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

Ma#1ne Hky
12-03-2014, 01:39 AM
It's Black & White....they are 3-11-1 because they are playing like that record shows...they are just a bad hockey team...with many glaring holes...poor defense/lack of scoring/poor special teams/etc...they are playing like a bottom of the Conference team...no sugar coating it.

Runsub5
12-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Saturday night's game with UML will be broadcast on NBC Sports Network.

AMC
12-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Of course, it would be wrong to pin this on an injury too, right? So what does science tell us the reason is?

Lack of ability? Occam's razor and all that. The simplest answer is usually the right one. Maine has a .300 winning percentage stretching back to whenever because Maine has the talent to be a .300 team.

ck1969
12-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Lack of ability? Occam's razor and all that. The simplest answer is usually the right one. Maine has a .300 winning percentage stretching back to whenever because Maine has the talent to be a .300 team.

I would say they have the talent to be .500 team but lack the motivation, desire, work ethic and conditioning so they are a .300 team.

BBDiehard14
12-03-2014, 01:05 PM
At this point, the talent is certainly there but the hunger and mental toughness is definitely not there. They've given some games away that they should've won, and frankly, the more losses pile up, the more frustration we're gonna see.

jcarter7669
12-03-2014, 01:14 PM
At this point, the talent is certainly there but the hunger and mental toughness is definitely not there. They've given some games away that they should've won, and frankly, the more losses pile up, the more frustration we're gonna see.

You should have gone to BU, my hats off to your glass half full outlook on Maine Hockey. I hereby officially nominate BBDiehard for HE Fanboy of the year.

blackbearbandie
12-03-2014, 04:00 PM
I would say they have the talent to be .500 team but lack the motivation, desire, work ethic and conditioning so they are a .300 team.

Last year there were articles in the paper and comments from players and observers about how practices were really up-tempo and more intense than the previous practices under the old regime. Do we know that practices have changed since last year? If practices haven't changed, theoretically conditioning should be the same or better than last year. They should be motivated enough, have the desire, and by now the work ethic to get it done. Talent is a very subjective thing though, because we'd like to say, especially in America, that if you work hard you will succeed. Although it's true you probably won't succeed if you don't work hard, some people just are wired differently and are "naturals" and really excel with more hard work. It's possible they just don't measure up talent wise to where they should be for a division 1 team. Flynn, Abbott and Nyquist were a great recruitment class, and Shore and Hutton showed some promise too, but for the most part the recruits that they've had have all been supporting role characters, who have mostly been undersized and average skilled for Div 1. hockey. Until the new recruits cycle through it's hard to know what kind of a hockey program Maine has. Based on the hype from the new recruits hoping to play for Maine soon, it seems like they're all sold that Maine is the place to be if you want to play pro hockey. We just have to wait this out and see what happens.

walrus
12-03-2014, 04:25 PM
In reality little has changed since Tim was here, forecheck the crap out of Maine, they cough it up, get nervous and turn the puck over. Its been going on for years. Lowell is going to forecheck the crap out of Maine

Fishman'81
12-04-2014, 12:14 AM
A few thoughts on this weekend's opponent, UMass Lowell:

The Hawks have picked up right where they've left off the last couple of years. They've been the most consistent team in Hockey East, and they're the only team without a conference loss. That, of course, is going into tomorrow's game against UConn.

Maine has always played tough at Tsonags Arena, our struggles on the road not withstanding. This is one that Maine has potential to steal if their defense can pick up the slack a little bit here.

BB, I don't see it that way at all. I think that Maine would have a better chance winning at BU than at UML. The 'Hawks don't stun you with talent or speed, but that is a deep team that never gives up, kinda like Vermont.

I'll watch the game, but would not bet a dime on Maine to win it.

hobeyfaker
12-04-2014, 07:42 AM
In reality little has changed since Tim was here, forecheck the crap out of Maine, they cough it up, get nervous and turn the puck over. Its been going on for years. Lowell is going to forecheck the crap out of Maine

This is what I've been saying all along. Nothing has changed. Same 'ol, same 'ol.

TERRIERFANinLA
12-04-2014, 12:54 PM
No, everything so far does not tell us that. You people blaming this on Lomberg getting the boot are pathetic. The team started stinking it up last season.

I think that the people who cannot look at the competition level at the beginning of last year and see the difference with this year's schedule are pathetic. (this like when the Sox go 16-3 and everyone thinks they are just fantastic, but do not notice that they played bottom dwellers during the run)

TERRIERFANinLA
12-04-2014, 12:55 PM
This is what I've been saying all along. Nothing has changed. Same 'ol, same 'ol.

baloney... lots has changed.... pay attention to the D and the willingness to at least try and take a good penalty. Only Tyler did that under Whitehead.

blackbear80
12-04-2014, 01:06 PM
This is what I've been saying and saying and saying... all along. Nothing with my posts has changed. Same 'ol, same 'ol.

fyp. :D

Fishman'81
12-04-2014, 10:50 PM
I think that the people who cannot look at the competition level at the beginning of last year and see the difference with this year's schedule are pathetic. (this like when the Sox go 16-3 and everyone thinks they are just fantastic, but do not notice that they played bottom dwellers during the run)

The competition is definitely better, and the 'tending is certainly weaker. That's a telling one-two punch, even assuming everything else being equal...

And that's the difference between this year and the last, in a nutshell.

hobeyfaker
12-05-2014, 08:24 AM
baloney... lots has changed.... pay attention to the D and the willingness to at least try and take a good penalty. Only Tyler did that under Whitehead.

Results remain the same.

walrus
12-05-2014, 01:31 PM
The competition is definitely better, and the 'tending is certainly weaker. That's a telling one-two punch, even assuming everything else being equal...

And that's the difference between this year and the last, in a nutshell.
Everything else isn't equal so its a 1,2,3 punch

Priceless
12-05-2014, 04:55 PM
The competition is better.

Through December 1 last year, Maine's opposition had a .459 winning percentage, compared with .551 so far this season. Against that weaker competition Maine was 6-6-1.

HockeyFan22
12-06-2014, 12:21 AM
This team has the skill. Just needs alot more grit. Bigger bodies patrolling the wing would help.

ck1969
12-06-2014, 09:42 AM
This thread has turned into a hockey Groundhog Day. Everybody saying the same thing...over and over and over and over. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

blackbearbandie
12-06-2014, 09:58 AM
This thread has turned into a hockey Groundhog Day. Everybody saying the same thing...over and over and over and over. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

It would be nice to have a road victory over a ranked opponent tonight to talk about, or at least a hard fought tie -anything but a loss.