PDA

View Full Version : UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

umhockey91
11-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Byron banks one in off of Mastalerz to give Maine a 3-2 lead with 1:23 left

Nice!!!

What a comeback win for Maine!

BlackI
11-01-2014, 09:19 PM
That was great to Maine come back. After the let downs last season it was nice to see Maine come back for a change.

Pecarraro is impressive. Had several nice moves to make space and dished several nice passes. Then makes that move to get right to left in the slot and snipes one against the grain... outstanding. All weekend he played will with Swavely on that line.

Romeo played well.

Hayes does well battling in front of the net. He is disruptive for the other team's defense. On the power play it is allowing other forwards to creep into the slot uncontested.

Hamilton was steady and chipped in some nice shots from the blue line.

The freshmen are playing well.

umhockey91
11-01-2014, 09:35 PM
That was great to Maine come back. After the let downs last season it was nice to see Maine come back for a change.

Pecarraro is impressive. Had several nice moves to make space and dished several nice passes. Then makes that move to get right to left in the slot and snipes one against the grain... outstanding. All weekend he played will with Swavely on that line.

Romeo played well.

Hayes does well battling in front of the net. He is disruptive for the other team's defense. On the power play it is allowing other forwards to creep into the slot uncontested.

The freshmen are playing well.

Yeah they are.......and the best thing is that they never knew TIMMAY TIME!:)

gscott13
11-01-2014, 11:43 PM
highlights of tonight's Maine goals without sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljRkouCJisY&list=UUudlpMDeX7KIIWYkLF9T-gA

Ma#1ne Hky
11-02-2014, 12:54 AM

Romeo played well.

The freshmen are playing well.Yes thought Remeo had a solid outing in net for Maine tonight.

AMC
11-02-2014, 07:13 AM
highlights of tonight's Maine goals without sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ljRkouCJisY&list=UUudlpMDeX7KIIWYkLF9T-gA

I don't understand why umaine is so incapable of putting out a professional looking highlight.

HD video, audio from the radio, and ALL goals. Done.

gscott13
11-02-2014, 08:29 AM
I don't understand why umaine is so incapable of putting out a professional looking highlight.

HD video, audio from the radio, and ALL goals. Done.

I think it's just the rush to get something up before the end of the night. last week they put up the maine goals with no sound and then went back and loaded in all goals with the audio from hannigan.... here is their second take which has no audio, but the Umass goals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiLV8WR3a0s&list=UUudlpMDeX7KIIWYkLF9T-gA

Ma#1ne Hky
11-02-2014, 09:38 AM
Their needs to be a change in marketing @ Maine...they need to wake up and sell tickets that sell for a price people will go for...they need a drastic change in season tickets approach,reward the season ticket holders for dishing out the up front money while at the same time making the single game tickets attractive also...set price until that day of the game...and ALL tickets should priced at one price not ranging from $17/$20/$24...I know thats the norm,but be different...work with your fans,if there in the building,they will spend money and the building will have a atmosphere...I mean we all sit their and can see it,just this Outfit just pretends to care with a smile...awful to see just 3k plus in the Alfond when it should be at least @ 4500 and more. With BU coming in on Friday in a few weeks this should be a sell out...with BU playing well and the Eichel kid and JUST that its BU/Maine,no matter what the records are. I guess just a morning rant,this won't get fixed soon or at all.

umhockey91
11-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Their needs to be a change in marketing @ Maine...they need to wake up and sell tickets that sell for a price people will go for...they need a drastic change in season tickets approach,reward the season ticket holders for dishing out the up front money while at the same time making the single game tickets attractive also...set price until that day of the game...and ALL tickets should priced at one price not ranging from $17/$20/$24...I know thats the norm,but be different...work with your fans,if there in the building,they will spend money and the building will have a atmosphere...I mean we all sit their and can see it,just this Outfit just pretends to care with a smile...awful to see just 3k plus in the Alfond when it should be at least @ 4500 and more. With BU coming in on Friday in a few weeks this should be a sell out...with BU playing well and the Eichel kid and JUST that its BU/Maine,no matter what the records are. I guess just a morning rant,this won't get fixed soon or at all.

Maine needs to hire some tech savvy marketers in their athletic dept. They should be able to get these guys/gals straight out of school so they shouldn't cost THAT much. It's imperative that they recognize that streaming video, social media, and other on-line activity IS the future of marketing and promoting the athletic department. The other part is affordable, accessible, and enjoyable game day experiences. They have gotten better is some areas.......but also lack in terms of pricing, concessions, and of course WINNING.

FiveHole12
11-02-2014, 10:52 AM
Tech savvy marketers won't do any good without leadership at the top. Especially young and inexperienced ones.

Maine just needs someone with some business background, some common sense and an understanding of mathematics.
If you are getting 3000 at $24. per ticket = $72,000

You want 4500? What's the magic number to achieve that goal? Let's say $17. per ticket?
4500 x $17. = $76,500

How about getting a little more aggressive? Want to reach capacity of 5200? Drop the price to $15. per ticket.
5200 x $15. = $78,000. More for less. Think they might sell a couple more hot dogs to boot? Don't even think of raising prices until the team and/or the economy improves.

I don't know the real numbers, so the above is all hypothetical. But, for whoever does know the real numbers... do the math!

The advertisers along the boards and within the arena might also be a little happier that their message is reaching 2000 more people. Hit them up for a few more bucks. Don't gouge them... a 'few' more bucks. If they balk, forget it. The economy out there really does suck folks, regardless of what you're being led to believe, and it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Also, on another front, has Maine lost any loyal followers state wide due to lack of radio/tv coverage? If so, that needs to be addressed.

Maine needs a business person running the business end of the show, period. My 2 cents. ;)

ck1969
11-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Tech savvy marketers won't do any good without leadership at the top. Especially young and inexperienced ones.

Maine just needs someone with some business background, some common sense and an understanding of mathematics.

You want 4500? What's the magic number to achieve that goal? Let's say $17. per ticket?
4500 x $17. = $76,500

How about getting a little more aggressive? Want to reach capacity of 5200? Drop the price to $15. per ticket.
5200 x $15. = $78,000. More for less. Think they might sell a couple more hot dogs to boot? Don't even think of raising prices until the team and/or the economy improves.

I don't know the real numbers, so the above is all hypothetical. But, for whoever does know the real numbers... do the math!

The advertisers along the boards and within the arena might also be a little happier that their message is reaching 2000 more people. Hit them up for a few more bucks. Don't gouge them... a 'few' more bucks. If they balk, forget it. The economy out there really does suck folks, regardless of what you're being led to believe, and it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Also, on another front, has Maine lost any loyal followers state wide due to lack of radio/tv coverage? If so, that needs to be addressed.

Maine needs a business person running the business end of the show, period. My 2 cents. ;)
Preaching to the choir. I've been saying the exact same things. It's basic economics. How someone who's running an entire athletic dept's marketing and business office can't comprehend the simplicity of how to increase revenue is beyond me. And you hit it on the head as far as TV goes. 90% of the State's pop. lives in Southern Maine. Yet there's been one yes ONE game on TV down here. I truly don't get it. It's very frustrating and extremely maddening.

Drew S.
11-02-2014, 12:05 PM
Preaching to the choir. I've been saying the exact same things. It's basic economics. How someone who's running an entire athletic dept's marketing and business office can't comprehend the simplicity of how to increase revenue is beyond me. And you hit it on the head as far as TV goes. 90% of the State's pop. lives in Southern Maine. Yet there's been one yes ONE game on TV down here. I truly don't get it. It's very frustrating and extremely maddening.

The only reason there hasn't been changes is whoever has been in charge doesn't want to own up to previous mistakes. I would hope/think this is the last year with the ridiculous ticket prices though. You can blame Learfield sports for lack of coverage in southern maine as I believe they have complete control over where the games get broadcast. Using them has been as big of a mistake as the ridiculous ticket prices in my opinion.

Ma#1ne Hky
11-02-2014, 12:17 PM

4500 x $17. = $76,500

Maine needs a business person running the business end of the show, period. My 2 cents. ;)Good Summary and a plus 1...sadly all you've said makes a lot of $ense,but will it be useful to this Bunch(UMaine A.D. & Staff)...I think not...and they said all along this summer before Tickets were priced and Season Ticket Applications were sent out,was the GOAL was putting back people in the Arena and building up a sagging Season Ticket Holder base,but instead Season Ticket sales have dropped and single game tickets are just not selling...that's why we see so many more Students in sections that they use to never sit in or have the chance to sit there...and don't get me wrong...I want the Students in there. Frustrating that it would be a simple plan that they would reap the benefits in the form of MONEY.But they(UMaine)never seem to cease to amaze me in if you say Black they say White.

walrus
11-02-2014, 12:29 PM
Do you guys pay attention to the news at all? THEY HAVE NO MONEY.How do hire anyone when you don't have 2 nickels to rub together?

umhockey91
11-02-2014, 12:32 PM
They can start by getting rid of people like Joe Roberts.

FiveHole12
11-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Do you guys pay attention to the news at all? THEY HAVE NO MONEY.How do hire anyone when you don't have 2 nickels to rub together?
Can start by getting rid of folks that are not getting the job done (liability) and replace them with people that can get the job done (asset). It's all about business sense, common sense and math. Of course, if the liabilities are political hires, you're probably pizzing into the wind.

all bear
11-02-2014, 12:56 PM
Its not that simple. Reducing prices somewhat does not necessarily put people in the seats. If they don't want to come and watch college hockey anymore, guess what, no amount of price reduction will do the trick. No, to put fannys back into the seats they need to win consistently, create another statewide buzz about the teams success and make Maine Hockey once again the States darling child. Right now its ho hum because we had so many consecutive years of mediocre to lousy hockey masquerading as trademark Maine hockey. Fans saw through the illusion in short order and gave up on them. It will take several years of consistent success to fill that arena again.... unless they just give tickets away.

It used to be the crowd energized the team considerably... Red has to find a way to succeed with a lot less help from the fanbase unfortunately. We can all thank Timmy time for that.

amherstblackbear
11-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Can start by getting rid of folks that are not getting the job done (liability) and replace them with people that can get the job done (asset). It's all about business sense, common sense and math. Of course, if the liabilities are political hires, you're probably pizzing into the wind.

Yeah, I think you file this one under "just pay attention." No need to hire some Silicon Valley whiz. Don't even need an eager kid fresh out of B-school. you just need someone to care enough to bother. Given budget constraints, it probably will take some selling to the AD or Univ pres. to get them to go along with ticket price cuts. But it's not rocket surgery.

Full house = more engaged fanbase = better environment for the team + more concessions and merch.

Main arguments for keeping ticket prices high = (1) price signals quality, don't want to tarnish brand, (2) inelastic demand means hardcore fans will pay whatever, and won't respond to price changes; neither will non-fans who won't attend at any price, or (3) don't want set set expectations too much lower than the price you hope to charge in the future - avoids complaints when you ultimately do raise ticket prices.

(1) Sorry, that ship sailed.
(2) Uhh, no. The empty seats are already there. Plus, past sellouts show that there are 5200+ potential ticket buyers. You just need them to want your tickets.
(3) Some people will always complain about price hikes. Let them. As long as the hike follows increased demand, and doesn't precede it, other people will be happy to buy those tix.

It seems obvious to us, but there may be some in admin who don't appreciate the magnitude of the challenge facing Red. Even if he turns out to be great, that hire is the start of a plan, not the end of it. Doesn't make any sense to fire a guy, hire a new one, let him hire the staff he wants (presumably) and NOT support him with fans. Hypothetically, even if high ticket prices *did* increase revenue, it wouldn't be by much. Penny-wise, pound-foolish. On the other hand, if pricing is causing you to lose revenue, lose fans, and makes Red's job harder (however slight it is, there's still an advantage when Alfond is rocking, even if it's just to impress recruits) . . . that's just pants-on-head stupid. Swallow your pride, admit you're overpricing, and get people back in the building.

If you're reading this, Red, you know your check cleared :p

DoubleA
11-02-2014, 01:41 PM
Reducing prices somewhat does not necessarily put people in the seats... No, to put fannys back into the seats they need to win consistently, create another statewide buzz about the teams success and make Maine Hockey once again the States darling child... It will take se3veral years of consistent success to fill that arena again....
It used to be the crowd energized the team considerably... Red has to find a way to succeed with a lot less help from the fanbase unfortunately.

Right on all bear. Win, and they will come. Creep into the USCHO top 20 and they will come. Win playoff games, and they will come. It will take consistent sustained winning. Walsh used to go to the dining halls, get up on the tables and scream Maine Hockey. Everyone got fired up. Alfond was packed. This is a different day and time. Red will build and build. He has a plan and it's not a two year plan unfortunately. Can't be.

FiveHole12
11-02-2014, 01:44 PM
Its not that simple. Reducing prices somewhat does not necessarily put people in the seats. If they don't want to come and watch college hockey anymore, guess what, no amount of price reduction will do the trick. No, to put fannys back into the seats they need to win consistently, create another statewide buzz about the teams success and make Maine Hockey once again the States darling child. Right now its ho hum because we had so many consecutive years of mediocre to lousy hockey masquerading as trademark Maine hockey. Fans saw through the illusion in short order and gave up on them. It will take several years of consistent success to fill that arena again.... unless they just give tickets away.

It used to be the crowd energized the team considerably... Red has to find a way to succeed with a lot less help from the fanbase unfortunately. We can all thank Timmy time for that.
Good point. But at 15 bucks, you should get fanny's back in the seats. If not, hit the magic number... $13., $12., $10.? Build up hope in the NEW Maine Black Bears. Agree, the team would need to win to keep them there.

Big problem I see is that a lot of the state wide fan base has disappeared because of lack of tv/radio exposure. Gonna be tough getting those folks back. They have replaced their hockey fanaticism with other interests. With the loss of those folks, there's also a trickle down effect in regards to lost revenue in advertising dollars, team apparel, etc.

Maine had their hockey world by the balls, and then some bad business decisions really hurt the program, which also trickles down to the other athletic programs. Maybe those decisions put good money in the coffers short term?, but over the long haul? Throw in a slumping economy and the problem is multiplied. My thought is if Maine had made better business decisions in it's recent past, a few bad losing seasons don't hurt as much, if at all.

Winning will help short term, but for long term financial success, Maine needs someone that sees the big picture. As always, it all starts at the top.