PDA

View Full Version : UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

J.D.
11-23-2014, 12:27 AM
don't put BC in the same sentence with unh and maine. yes, not BCs best team but they can still be a good team this year.

assuming the loss to bu took a lot out of the bears because it was quite the inept performance tonight. not really a threat to score at all.

give me these two refs every game...

BBDiehard14
11-23-2014, 02:24 AM
FWIW and to add some sanity thought Maine played a good hockey game last night. BU was dominant in spurts, but Maine played a good team game and were good in the offensive zone cycling and controlling. Folks Maine simply is not deep enough. I don't know how many minutes Shore played last night but he was out there a lot and the way he is committing himself defensively is likely impacting his offense. Romeo was solid all night long. Maine was susceptible to back door plays and BU finally converted on the 2nd goal. 1st goal was all Eichel drawing to Bears to him and dishing to to the open wing for a 1 timer that beat Romeo.

Don't know what many of you expect? Yeah it is no fun losing, and we have a habit of losing on the road and blowing leads. ALL BAD! But this is the first year that Red has even started to bring some of his own guys in. And to be fair some of the frosh who was Tim's recruits were pretty good in Pecararo and Romeo.

Any of you who are as old as me will remember that Shawn's second year in many respects was worse than his first. Takes time for new coaches to implement their system with their recruits.

Finally on Eichel. This kid is the best freshmen in Hockey East since Paul Kariya and he will be the 1st or 2nd pick in this years NHL draft. He will not be at BU next year and he will not play in the AHL. He is 18 and he is a man among boys! No he won't get 100 points, but the game is so much different than it was when Paul played and Paul quite frankly had a better supporting cast in Montgomery and Ingraham. Also Paul was a winger and Eichel a Center, thus he has more defensive responsibility. Watched he and Shore face off all night and Devin was 2nd only to Gaudreau last year in Hockey East IMHO. This kid is DOMINANT and head and shoulders better than Devin and Johnny Hockey, and I loved watching Johnny even if he played for BC.

Patience folks! Red made the correct comments after the game, he was satisfied with the effort (why kill them after that game) but not the result. Think we all expected a better start, but it is a process. Maine will be better as the season progresses, but we're a long way from some of the prognostications of being a "tourney" team.

Here's hoping they can take care of business tonight?

Screw patience 3-9-1 is not acceptable

hobeyfaker
11-23-2014, 04:34 AM
http://bangordailynews.com/sports/

About freakin time he boiled over !

BCeagle
11-23-2014, 04:38 AM
don't put BC in the same sentence with unh and maine. yes, not BCs best team but they can still be a good team this year.

assuming the loss to bu took a lot out of the bears because it was quite the inept performance tonight. not really a threat to score at all.

give me these two refs every game...

Sure not BC's best in awhile but far from those bad teams of 1994 era. Those were really dark days of BC hockey. This team has some good strengths and while the offense may struggle sometimes, they do have a lot of time to get it together and be a strong team by the end of the season. Looking forward to the next weekend with Minnesota and Providence.

hobeyfaker
11-23-2014, 05:04 AM
TIMMAY had 12 years and now you want to get rid of Red after 1.3??? Come on Mrs. Whitehead........go have a couple of shots and get some rest.

Alright, I was a bit upset last night. How bout, "Don't Extend Gend" !

all bear
11-23-2014, 07:15 AM
Apparently these guys can only get up for 1 weekend game. Case in point this weekend, Vermont weekend, Union weekend. Energy is spent first night

walrus
11-23-2014, 07:31 AM
Apparently these guys can only get up for 1 weekend game. Case in point this weekend, Vermont weekend, Union weekend. Energy is spent first night

It's a mental thing, without a doubt. Crushed as they let one go on friday, carries over to Saturday

Hockeyman99
11-23-2014, 08:58 AM
Thoughts and observations from this weekend: Hard to believe that 2 out of the 3 goals scored this weekend were short-handed. We must have the worst PP in the nation, most power plays we don't even muster a good scoring opportunity, no net presence whatsoever. 3 shots from the top of the circle beat our goalie clean, no screen, no tip...... We seem to get less effective as the game wears on... We get out worked, a lot, in the corners, in front of the net, on the back check. On the first goal a 3 on 3 in neutral ice turned into a 2 on 0 because the bc forwards just out skated us. 10 is playing real good defense right now. +- stats are deceptive and sometimes just wrong, the 4th goal last night was in part due to several misplays by 44, yet 47 is listed as being on the ice instead of 44? 47 is going to be a good one. Many of our forwards will take a bad or no angle throw it at the net shot when we don't have anyone there for the rebound and the D are wide open. It seems like the team is gripping their sticks too tight, thinking too much, worrying about making mistakes instead of just playing the game.

Runsub5
11-23-2014, 09:06 AM
Let's think this through. Gendron inherits a team last year and does a commendable job. The team finishes above .500 even though they "tank" late in the season. This season the team begins where they left off in the Spring. He brings in his own recruits (except Pecararo), and game outcomes are dismal. The talent level of his recruits at this point are no better than under the previous coaching staff. It is possible the team will turn it around and get better as the season goes along. This would be the best possible scenario and I hope they do. I am willing to give Gendron lots of time and it appears he will need it.

umhockey91
11-23-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm just hoping that the hockey program wins again someday before I die.

Ma#1ne Hky
11-23-2014, 10:55 AM
I'm just hoping that the hockey program wins again someday before I die.It will...but right now the Program is most likely in the worst of worst...but at least people still care and have the passion still burning to bring back winning hockey @ Maine.

ck1969
11-23-2014, 10:59 AM
Let's think this through. Gendron inherits a team last year and does a commendable job. The team finishes above .500 even though they "tank" late in the season. This season the team begins where they left off in the Spring. He brings in his own recruits (except Pecararo), and game outcomes are dismal. The talent level of his recruits at this point are no better than under the previous coaching staff. It is possible the team will turn it around and get better as the season goes along. This would be the best possible scenario and I hope they do. I am willing to give Gendron lots of time and it appears he will need it.

The only reason they were barely above .500 last season was the schedule over the 1st 1/2 of the season. I don't see this team as any worse than last years. I see a harder schedule this year and their record reflects it. They are a mediocre team playing much more talented opponents.

Ma#1ne Hky
11-23-2014, 11:19 AM
The only reason they were barely above .500 last season was the schedule over the 1st 1/2 of the season. I don't see this team as any worse than last years. I see a harder schedule this year and their record reflects it. They are a mediocre team playing much more talented opponents.Winning % to date of teams Maine has played: BU .850 - Vermont .708 - BC .583 - Union .542 - Alaska .500 - Alaska Anck. .429 - UMass .300

Ma#1ne Hky
11-23-2014, 11:38 AM
Checked out last years first 13 games/teams played and their overall winning %: BC .750 - Vermont(4 gms) .566 - Bentley .568 - St.Lawrence .477 - BU .343 - UMass(4 gms) .294

DoubleA
11-23-2014, 12:41 PM
They are a mediocre team playing much more talented opponents.

That sums it up pretty well. They have some very good players, some good players and a bunch of guys that could not make the roster at any top 20 Div 1 program. That's where Red's predecessor brought the program. Let's cut the bullshirt. That's the truth. Now it is on Red/Leach/Guite to coach, lead, recruit and raise money. This is not a small project. It is a major reconstruction.

Whatever they win this year will only be on grit, hard work and more effort than their opponent. Last night, they had none of those three ingredients. Totally unacceptable.

DoubleA
11-23-2014, 12:51 PM
He brings in his own recruits (except Pecararo), and game outcomes are dismal. The talent level of his recruits at this point are no better than under the previous coaching staff.
Time out. I don't think that is correct. Let's look at this. Here are the Freshmen:
Vesey
Lecroix
Musil
Romeo
Pecararo
Hamilton
Hayes

With accuracy please, which of these Freshmen are Red/Leach/Guite's recruits vs Whitehead/Corkum et al?

walrus
11-23-2014, 01:01 PM
Time out. I don't think that is correct. Let's look at this. Here are the Freshmen:
Vesey
Lecroix
Musil
Romeo
Pecararo
Hamilton
Hayes

With accuracy please, which of these Freshmen are Red/Leach/Guite's recruits vs Whitehead/Corkum et al?

I think all but Peccaro and Romeo are Red recruits

DoubleA
11-23-2014, 01:21 PM
I think all but Peccaro and Romeo are Red recruits

Anyone else know for sure?

umhockey91
11-23-2014, 01:45 PM

Just go back and look at the Heisenberg lists ........they will tell you when they all committed.

Drew S.
11-23-2014, 01:52 PM

He's right to a large degree. There were recruits of Tim's that Red didn't bring in so I kind of look at Pecararo and Romeo as being half and half. I'm sure if Red didn't like them they wouldn't be here.

It's going to take a lot more than one recruiting class for Maine to get back where it needs to be, especially in today's game. Any recruit that comes in and has a big freshman year will leave soon after so how much does that help? I think all this year's freshmen have the potential to be good college players and should stick around for three or four years.

I don't think there are many guys on this year's team that wouldn't make a top 20 team, it's more that the balance isn't quite right. Maine has a lot of guys who are more third line types than top two line types. Timmy got accused of bringing in 'grinders' but that wasn't really true. It was more he brought in offensive forwards who were missing a component needed to put up a lot of points at the D1 level. I think Morgan is a decent example of this. He's very skilled but doesn't have the athleticism needed to be a major contributor. Hopefully over time Red is able to upgrade each class and then we will see Maine back in the top or thereabouts and in the NCAA's again.