PDA

View Full Version : UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

FiveHole12
11-16-2014, 09:52 AM
Any coach who wins 3 nat titles in 6 years can prob have his job for another 5-8 years, especially a coach of Jerry York's ilk.

How did previous doormats like Union and Quinnipiac do it?

Sorry, I've had this same discussion countless times with many. We were outplayed, except in the most important department of goaltending. UNH had a more talented team with Hobey winner Krog, and they won Hoc East that year.
I know of only one other poster on these threads that can state things as fact, back track and spin his original post quite like you. Oh, wait... :p

BTW... what did QU do?

hobeyfaker
11-16-2014, 10:22 AM
I know of only one other poster on these threads that can state things as fact, back track and spin his original post quite like you. Oh, wait... :p

BTW... what did QU do?

Lol, they went to a Nat. title game, remember?

FiveHole12
11-16-2014, 10:34 AM
Lol, they went to a Nat. title game, remember?
Who remembers the second place team, especially when they get blown out of the building?

hobeyfaker
11-16-2014, 10:44 AM
Who remembers the second place team, especially when they get blown out of the building?

I dunno about you, but appearing in a national title game sounds pretty good to me. I'd take a trip to the gahden as successful, the way this seasons goin, and I'm talkin the HE playoffs obviously, not the FF, also there.

FiveHole12
11-16-2014, 11:00 AM
I dunno about you, but appearing in a national title game sounds pretty good to me. I'd take a trip to the gahden as successful, the way this seasons goin, and I'm talkin the HE playoffs obviously, not the FF, also there.
Without looking it up or thinking about it... how many second place finishes has BC had in the FF since 1998? How many NC's?
See? Who gives a crap about 2nd place? I don't even know and that's my team. But I know how many NC's.

FWIW... hoky is much more entertaining. :p

DoubleA
11-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Shame on me for failing to include yesterday:

8. The decision to not allow Ryan Lomberg to remain enrolled at the University and play hockey was monumentally short-sighted of the new Madame President and Administration (but very politically correct which we all love) and has proven already to be materially damaging to the '14-15 team. This is really not opinion. It is fact.

hobeyfaker
11-16-2014, 11:19 AM
Without looking it up or thinking about it... how many second place finishes has BC had in the FF since 1998? How many NC's?
See? Who gives a crap about 2nd place? I don't even know and that's my team. But I know how many NC's.

FWIW... hoky is much more entertaining. :p

If we had only the number of FF appearances and runner up's over the past 8-10 yrs as BC, then Tim Whitehead would still be our coach. That's my point.

TERRIERFANinLA
11-16-2014, 11:52 AM

pretty sure Hakstol's job is not at risk... As a fan, I would take his 'non-accomplishments' over Timmy's and Red's any day.

FiveHole12
11-16-2014, 11:59 AM
If we had only the number of FF appearances and runner up's over the past 8-10 yrs as BC, then Tim Whitehead would still be our coach. That's my point.
Ahhh, I see... bring back TIMMAY!

Excuse me while I go get some popcorn. :cool:

hobeyfaker
11-16-2014, 12:16 PM

Well I am now referred to as Mrs. Whitehead. :rolleyes: What do you expect?

TERRIERFANinLA
11-16-2014, 02:46 PM
umm except for whatever reason Shore performed better under whitehead than is is currently performing this season... perhaps it is chemistry with linemates, and parhaps it is because is off ice conditioning has bulked him up way too big (guessing) but the fact remains that he is slow and he ain't performing as well as cam brown shift in and shift out. and cam brown is NO GERBE

a wise man once said... (when he called me a minute ago and asked), whether there were a chance that Shore's performance is related to the cheap shot he took in the UNB game... (when the penalty box door Michael Shutted his knee in a horrid leg check fashion)

TERRIERFANinLA
11-16-2014, 02:48 PM

you missed what he said... if Timmy had had Jerry's record in the NCAA's, then Timmy woudl still be here... so, no... he never said bring him back.

where is Pro1Disp-downByTheRiver-93Champs-Priceless-diehard in all of this?

hobeyfaker
11-16-2014, 02:59 PM
you missed what he said... if Timmy had had Jerry's record in the NCAA's, then Timmy woudl still be here... so, no... he never said bring him back.

where is Pro1Disp-downByTheRiver-93Champs-Priceless-diehard in all of this?

Thanks. I don't even bother trying to correct 5-Hole, lol.

rufus
11-16-2014, 03:04 PM
1984-85 12-29-1
1985-86 11-28-1

Head coach: Shawn Walsh

rufus
11-16-2014, 03:07 PM
When evaluating the first 1/3 of the season and wondering what the difference is between this year and last year

ummm, the schedule's a lot tougher?

rufus
11-16-2014, 03:11 PM
Sorry, I've had this same discussion countless times with many. We were outplayed, except in the most important department of goaltending. UNH had a more talented team with Hobey winner Krog, and they won Hoc East that year.

Watch the third period again. UHN players wanted nothing to do with that puck, they got it on their stick, and just dumped it into the Maine zone. Where Metcalf went., picked it up, and started the Maine attack back into the UHN zone. Over and over again. I saw that happening, and said to myself, "no way Maine loses this game".

More talent, Jason Krog, yada yada. No way they outplayed that Maine team.

A few years later, it happened again, only this time it was Maine constantly dumping the puck into the other team's end. Playing not to lose. TIMMAY hockey. We all know what happened then, don't we?

Drew S.
11-16-2014, 03:18 PM
watch the third period again. Uhn players wanted nothing to do with that puck, they got it on their stick, and just dumped it into the maine zone. Where metcalf went., picked it up, and started the maine attack back into the uhn zone. Over and over again. I saw that happening, and said to myself, "no way maine loses this game".

More talent, jason krog, yada yada. No way they outplayed that maine team.

A few years later, it happened again, only this time it was maine constantly dumping the puck into the other team's end. Playing not to lose. Timmay hockey. We all know what happened then, don't we?

7-2? :d

rufus
11-16-2014, 03:25 PM
No. Next game.

walrus
11-16-2014, 04:33 PM
Tim was villified by posters on this forum when he honestly made comments about players leaving early and how it affected the team's on ice production. Your comment by the way is credible. I do think this team will improve and get some wins down the stretch (unlike last year's team which "tanked"). Gendron's recruits are no better than Tim's, but I am a patient person. I am even willing to give him two more years on his 4 year contract. I recognize the many obstacles involved with college coaching. Having said that, it only took Norm Bazin and Nate Leaman one year to turn their programs around.
No, Tim was vilified for saying its hard to recruit to Orono. No one said a word about Gus leaving early, Purcell leaving early, Sweetland leaving Early, we all know thats part of the business

rufus
11-16-2014, 05:27 PM
To be fair, he did get a bit of crap for that, but that was because he kept bringing it up repeatedly, to the point where it felt like he was just making excuses. He kept talking about Purcell leaving early like four years after he'd gone.

Lomberg gone may or may not be having an impact on this team, but you'll never hear Red bringing the subject up.