PDA

View Full Version : UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

rufus
11-09-2014, 05:50 PM
It's not ALL on Red and staff. He's not out on the ice.

But it is if they keep playing this way, and they're tolerating it. I would assume he's trying to build them up, and work on their confidence and mental toughness, and not be cutting them down and barking at them all the time. But perhaps some tough love might be needed here.

Drew S.
11-09-2014, 06:07 PM
Did you watch the game Fri? It wasn't just the last couple minutes. They basically stood around the whole 3rd period and were outplayed for most of the 2nd per. as well. And last night was a repeat. I think it's too early to say if Red is on the right track or not, but at this point in the season I would say they are worse than last years team ...which is the wrong direction. Hopefully it gets turned around but the product I saw is unwatchable IMO.

I was at both games. I thought Maine played decently enough in the third, I never really felt they were in too much danger until the last couple of minutes. Which games this year, other than Friday would you say they should have done better in?

MaineMan
11-09-2014, 06:10 PM
It is early but this year isn't looking so good for Maine. The results of the new coaching staff have been less than satisfactory so far. I hope Red is capable of recruiting players at least on par with whitehead's recruits or we're in for a long, disappointing ride.

ck1969
11-09-2014, 06:15 PM
I was at both games. I thought Maine played decently enough in the third, I never really felt they were in too much danger until the last couple of minutes. Which games this year, other than Friday would you say they should have done better in?

I guess we saw things differently. But Saturdays game they could've played way better for starters. You can't say they played well last night. Last Saturdays game vs Umass was no stellar performance either. Yeah they came back but.... They've played well at times. But they still disappear for periods at a time.

BBDiehard14
11-09-2014, 06:40 PM
It is early but this year isn't looking so good for Maine. The results of the new coaching staff have been less than satisfactory so far. I hope Red is capable of recruiting players at least on par with whitehead's recruits or we're in for a long, disappointing ride.

BDN commenters are ripping Red

walrus
11-09-2014, 09:01 PM

Your expectations are low if all you want are timmay recruits

walrus
11-09-2014, 09:05 PM
But it is if they keep playing this way, and they're tolerating it. I would assume he's trying to build them up, and work on their confidence and mental toughness, and not be cutting them down and barking at them all the time. But perhaps some tough love might be needed here.

I heard rumors that late last year the team tuned out the barking. Not sure if it's true or not but it fits. Red is pretty intense and will get in your face in a heartbeat just talking to him

umhockey91
11-09-2014, 09:25 PM

+1

umhockey91
11-09-2014, 09:26 PM
I heard rumors that late last year the team tuned out the barking. Not sure if it's true or not but it fits. Red is pretty intense and will get in your face in a heartbeat just talking to him

Card carrying members of Club Whitehead no doubt.........

Fishman'81
11-10-2014, 12:35 AM
This UVM team looks much better than last years team. So I am not sure how you want to measure that. As I mentioned before the real difference is the depth and much better puck movement from the D. So the "Lousy Weekend" might be more a product of UVM. The real test I think will come when we go visit you in a month. That will show where both teams stand.

I tend to agree that the weekend was probably more about UVM being good than it was about Maine being bad.

I see Vermont as being a tournament team as of now, and I've seen 20 teams this year, including MN, BC, BU, St. Cloud, UML, Union, etc.

What might be an impediment to them is how top-heavy HE is this year. It's gonna be a challenge to break into the top-tier in that conference... Looks like the haves and have-nots right now, and Vermont is right on the bubble there, IMO.

STILL, I like that team a lot, and would not bet against them at this point.

BoSox3066
11-10-2014, 03:14 AM
I'm not a doctor but it's hard for me to understand how he could have major surgery, not be able to walk for a while, and then be back to playing a high level of hockey again. I've got a lot of mixed feelings on the goaltending situation, I don't think it is the reason Maine has struggled but it certainly hasn't helped them be successful. I really don't know what I would have done if I was in Red's shoes. It would have been harsh if he kicked Morris or Romeo to the curb before they were give a fair chance, but at the same time I can't imagine he felt great about the goaltending coming into this season.

I was upset last night about this weekend but am over it now. Maine just had to play a little better in the last couple minutes of Friday's game and it would have been hugely successful. There are obviously exceptions(Lowell being one) but I think the cliche that winning and losing are habits that are hard to break is very true. It's going to take some time but I think Red & Co are on the right track as far as getting Maine back to where we would like it.

I think in the long run Morris can be a really good goaltender, look at the difference between Marty in years 1 and 2 versus 3 and 4, and that's without injuries. My response was more towards the folks who were saying Maine hasn't had a good goalie recruit in a while and if they get one it'll help with some of these other issues they've had.

I can only speak for myself but when I see other programs being rebuilt and competing on a national level very quickly, I get impatient with this idea that we at Maine have to wait a while either because its hard to recruit here, or because Whitehead ruined the culture, or because the budget isn't big enough, or whatever else. It all sounds like excuses.

Ma#1ne Hky
11-10-2014, 03:45 AM
You keep asking about Nugnes, do you have some inside info on him? My inside info says he has a good glove hand but thats it. He hasn't been concentrating on hockey all that long he was a lacrosse player 4 years ago. They needed a practice goalie so up he came.I can tell you one thing that he's not a practice goalie...and I'll leave it at that.

jcarter7669
11-10-2014, 07:46 AM
But the media scribes on here are thinking Vermont will sweep us. I don't see that happening. I think Maine is better than their record shows and Vermont isn't as good as theirs shows. Yes, their D has been sound, but teams like Clarkson and Northeastern aren't exactly world-beaters. Maine can steal at least one game in Burlington.

I hate to add insult to injury for ME fans but sorry I just can't help myself.

Maybe you can exact some revenge when we visit ALfond.

walrus
11-10-2014, 08:35 AM
I can tell you one thing that he's not a practice goalie...and I'll leave it at that.
Huh, maybe one slipped thru the cracks, be nice if he could help the team.

hobeyfaker
11-10-2014, 08:51 AM
I have been reading these Maine Hockey threads for years now. Those of you who are willing to give Red a 3-4 year pass are being far too patient. As already stated, Prov and Lowell did it within a year or two. This team needs to be winning more games now. I'm so sick and tired of the losing. At the present time, the only talented players we have had in the past 5 years have all been Whitehead recruits. Does anyone really believe we are gonna be better next year when two all Americans are gone? We won't be. Red needs to be held fully accountable for this teams performance this season, and I believe even he would agree. On most nights, we simply don't have enough talented players on the ice to beat descent teams. Our goaltenders aren't good enough to steal games and the team speed isn't great. We are a very mediocre hockey team and I don't see this changing anytime soon. It's very frustrating and discouraging.

umhockey91
11-10-2014, 09:29 AM
I have been reading these Maine Hockey threads for years now. Those of you who are willing to give Red a 3-4 year pass are being far too patient. As already stated, Prov and Lowell did it within a year or two. This team needs to be winning more games now. I'm so sick and tired of the losing. At the present time, the only talented players we have had in the past 5 years have all been Whitehead recruits. Does anyone really believe we are gonna be better next year when two all Americans are gone? We won't be. Red needs to be held fully accountable for this teams performance this season, and I believe even he would agree. On most nights, we simply don't have enough talented players on the ice to beat descent teams. Our goaltenders aren't good enough to steal games and the team speed isn't great. We are a very mediocre hockey team and I don't see this changing anytime soon. It's very frustrating and discouraging.

Gendron has had exactly 1 recruiting class of HIS recruits (and Pecarraro is a Whitehead recruit)......are we going to judge his recruits after 10 games???

Nate Leaman at Providence:

Year 1: 14-20-4
Year 2: 17-14-7
Year 3: 22-10-6
Year 4: 3-4-1

Gendron at Maine:

Year 1: 16-15-4
Year 2: 3-6-1

Bazin at Lowell has been incredible........credit given there.

hobeyfaker
11-10-2014, 10:10 AM
Do you think any of the freshman, and some show promise, will become great players? Do you think we will improve next year ?

MaineMan
11-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Whitehead had some gaps in his recruiting but he did attract some very talented players to Maine. (Six current NHLers) However, I do have higher expectations.

My point is that so far, the coaching itself has not appeared to be a significant upgrade. There are flashes of more motivated play, but much of the time, the intelligent plays aren't there.

So what I'm saying is, based on team performance, if Red isn't a better recruiter than Tim, it is disappointingly possible that we have downgraded our head coach.

I'll give him a chance to get a full four classes of his recruits before I make that call though.

Drew S.
11-10-2014, 10:36 AM
Do think any of the freshman, and some show promise, will become great players? Do you think we will improve next year ?

The fact that all the freshmen are playing over guys like Cerratani, Norman, and Campbell has to be a good sign. I think it looks like a really good class, especially when you factor in that Red probably didn't have a ton of money to work with.

umhockey91
11-10-2014, 10:49 AM
Whitehead had some gaps in his recruiting but he did attract some very talented players to Maine. (Six current NHLers) However, I do have higher expectations.

My point is that so far, the coaching itself has not appeared to be a significant upgrade. There are flashes of more motivated play, but much of the time, the intelligent plays aren't there.

So what I'm saying is, based on team performance, if Red isn't a better recruiter than Tim, it is disappointingly possible that we have downgraded our head coach.

I'll give him a chance to get a full four classes of his recruits before I make that call though.

If Whitehead was such a great recruiter with all of those NHLers.......why didn't he win more??? You can't have it all........either he was or wasn't a good recruiter........either he was or wasn't a good coach........if he was good at both then Maine should have made more appearances in Boston and the NCAA tourney, no???

Whietehad had his fans no doubt......they come out of the woodwork everytime Gendron farts.:rolleyes: