Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the making

Michigan visits Houghton for the first time since 1983 when both teams were members of the CCHA.
    Just in case the Wolverines were thinking they were going to be the big attraction this weekend,
    the Huskies remind you that the STANLEY CUP and other historic hardware will be in Houghton this weekend.
    Ryan J

http://www.michigantechhuskies.com/s...201410279w68ik
    Michigan Tech is excited to announce that the Stanley Cup will be at the John MacInnes Student Ice Arena on Friday (Oct. 31).
    Fans will be able to view the Stanley Cup along with the Hart Trophy, Conn Smythe Trophy, MacNaughton Cup and Gibson Cup.

Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Re: Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the mak

Nice to see those trophies make a trip to the UP!

Since it's been 30+ years since Michigan has played in Houghton, I started looking up things that have changed since Michigan was in town, and tweeted a bunch of them with tag: #umichmtu1983

It started as a goof, but goddamn has there been a lot of changes.

MaBell (AT&T) was still a monopoly.
    The Indianapolis Colts still called Baltimore home.
    Def Leppards' drummer had both arms still.
    The Italian Hall in Calumet was still standing.

There are a bunch more I will tweet out later this week.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Re: Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the mak

geezer was a minor.
      Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
      USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Speaking of 1983, I believe that is the year Steve Yzerman was drafted by the Wings and ended up scoring 39 goals and 87 points. It took 14 years, but the Cup drought would end. (It also was the year I got married. You do the math.)

Comment

hoping the hockey Wolverines play like the football Wolverines in Houghton.

are many fans making the trip? students? band? (oh please no)
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            Nice to see those trophies make a trip to the UP!

Since it's been 30+ years since Michigan has played in Houghton, I started looking up things that have changed since Michigan was in town, and tweeted a bunch of them with tag: #umichmtu1983

It started as a goof, but goddamn has there been a lot of changes.

MaBell (AT&T) was still a monopoly.
            The Indianapolis Colts still called Baltimore home.
            Def Leppards' drummer had both arms still.
            The Italian Hall in Calumet was still standing.

There are a bunch more I will tweet out later this week.
            wT was 1 year old, but she's still bitter about the #$&(#*& Colts.
            Although, a couple of Super Bowl wins for the Ravens has helped to dull the bitterness...some.

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post

Band doesn't do hockey away games (that I know of) except the Joe (GLI/State), outdoor games and NCAA tourney. Besides that, it's homecoming weekend in Ann Arbor. Part of the reason I couldn't find anyone to travel to Houghton with me, which is why I'm staying home.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

The allure of homecoming overcomes my free lodging in Tapiola.

That, and the 10 hour drive....

Comment

Does Michigan fly to Houghton or do they slum it on a bus? I hope they take the bus. I think they'd love the beautiful Seney Stretch.

Comment

Originally posted by Broseph Stalin View Post
                  Does Michigan fly to Houghton or do they slum it on a bus?
                  If they flew to an in-state game they would never hear the end of it.
                  #CakeEaters
                  Ryan J

Comment

There is a flight plan logged (with today's date) on Flightaware.com from Willow Run (KYIP) to Houghton (KCMX).

If I remember right, Michigan flew into KI Sawyer their last few years in the CCHA.

*edit* Never mind on the scheduled flight from Willow Run. It's way too small for a hockey team to be on. Hell, it might be too small to have the Stanley Cup on it.
                    Last edited by aparch; 10-28-2014, 11:16 AM.
                    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Michigan should be honored to be playing in a building that has hosted hockey longer than Yost and is named after a former Michigan hockey player instead of a football coach.
                      Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                      What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                        If they flew to an in-state game they would never hear the end of it.
                        #CakeEaters
                        Ryan J
                        I don't know, I always found it intersting that someone could live further away than I did from U of M and still pay in state tuition. Houghton is about as far from Ann Arbor as my hometown in Maryland.

Also, why sit on a bus when you have B1G money for fancy planes?
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Saturday's game should be a sellout for sure. There are only 13 (single reserved seats) available for purchase.
                          Friday's game has more seats available (understandable with Halloween night).
                          Section A- 47 seats
                          Sections B&C- 21 seats
                          Sections D&E- 3 seats
                          Sections F&G- 95 seats
                          Section I- 83 seats
                          Sections J&K- 60 seats
                          Sections N&O- 2 seats
                          (As of 2:30pm Tues.)
                          Friday's game has sections for groups, as many of the seats are together.
                          Get your tickets. I think both nights will sellout.
                          MTU Huskies 3 time NCAA Champions... and going for more.
                          2017-18 WCHA playoff Pick'em Champion!

Comment

am wondering if any of their hockey players will attempt to stick a spear in the ice?
                            Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                            "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                            Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                            Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the making

am wondering if any of their hockey players will attempt to stick a spear in the ice?
                              No, I don't think so. But maybe we'll see something like THIS VIDEO if Tech sweeps Michigan?
                              CAUTION: Video contains images of a Goofer destroying a goal cage.
                              Ryan J

Comment

Working...
                              X