Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the mak

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    The allure of homecoming overcomes my free lodging in Tapiola.
    Since my dad went to Tech, and I did hockey school at Tech back when Mel was in school, can I please be considered a fan at some point? Pretty please?
    Nope. No room for someone who would rather watch Brady's Bums play Indiana.

Comment

Re: Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the mak

Even with the football team being so incredibly bad right now, the entire campus has pride in the symbol of what it has historically meant. To the point of using it every time that they can.
      In the real world, that is what we call "lemmings". Follow the crowd, follow the crowd... right off the cliff. Some universities teach their students how to be creative, be original and think outside the box, some don't.
      Someday, maybe Tech will have something like that, too.
      If that is what it takes to be cool, then I certainly hope we never reach that point. Now go get 100,000 of your closest friends and sing "Hail" ten times as penance for dragging this thread into the mud. And wear your special helmet when you do it...

Ryan J
      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
      Originally posted by geezer
      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
      Originally posted by manurespreader
      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
        Nope. No room for someone who would rather watch Brady's Bums play Indiana.
        That's too bad.

Mostly because you have such high standards to be a fan of tech. It does keep your fan base small, so you don't need larger facilities. Which is a good offset of the lack of income.

And explains why you never, ever see Tech stuff in WalMart outside of the copper country. (I got a Michigan hat at a WalMart in Dillon, CO- forgot it while on a business trip).

Comment

I still don't understand why you think your team is that bad. Just seems odd.

You guys could use a good dose of self confidence. It would help.
          Confidence? Have you seen our record the past 30 years? I'm still not sure I'm awake...
          MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            In the real world, that is what we call "lemmings". Follow the crowd, follow the crowd... right off the cliff. Some universities teach their students how to be creative, be original and think outside the box, some don't.

If that is what it takes to be cool, then I certainly hope we never reach that point. Now go get 100,000 of your closest friends and sing "Hail" ten times as penance for dragging this thread into the mud. And wear your special helmet when you do it...

Ryan J
            So you call Michigan fans lemmings, and how long have you been following Tech hockey? And how long has it been since they have been successful? Lemming to watch the winningest football program vs. a lemming to watch the, well, call it what you want, hockey at tech?

I'm fine with football.

You guys really make success look like a horribly bad thing. No wonder you've been Tech fans for so long.

Comment

And explains why you never, ever see Tech stuff in WalMart outside of the copper country. (I got a Michigan hat at a WalMart in Dillon, CO- forgot it while on a business trip).
              And the height of Wolverine aspirations is to see "stuff" in WalMarts?

Comment

See, we'd be all happy if you wanted to be a fan of Michigan.
                Trust me, the last thing you would want is someone from Tech becoming a fan of Michigan. You don't want a free thinker thrown into a sea of drones who go through the same motions time and time again under the banner of "tradition". Your statement is the core value of large university mentality - Safety in numbers. If there are more of us then there are of you, then we must be cool.

Ryan J

Comment

how long have you been following Tech hockey?
                  Let's put it this way. I was in the crowd cheering for Tech the last time they hosted playoff games (and all the other home games that season). That's 1992-93 for those that don't follow Tech. Long enough to consider myself more than just a casual fan of the program, but someone who truly has a passion for the program, win or lose. With that being said I know there are people on this board that have followed Tech waaaay longer than me. We don't celebrate futility, but results are not all that matter to a true fan. We support the program regardless of the results. And we have some fun along the way as well... We not only take shots at others, but we have just as much fun taking shots at ourselves because we don't care what others think. It's the self-confidence that comes from knowing there is more to life than being the best at everything.
                  Ryan J
                  Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 10-30-2014, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                    And the height of Wolverine aspirations is to see "stuff" in WalMarts?
                    Trust me, the last thing you would want is someone from Tech becoming a fan of Michigan. You don't want a free thinker thrown into a sea of drones who go through the same motions time and time again under the banner of "tradition". Your statement is the core value of large university mentality - Safety in numbers. If there are more of us then there are of you, then we must be cool.

Ryan J
                    So one Techie brings up the Walmart thing again as it's a bad thing. Some of you bring up the helmets, again. Then you call us lemmings, again. Droning on and on about the same things....

Can you explain how that's an example of free thinking?

Or perhaps explain that all of the traditions that you, your fans, and your band does that are the same motions time and time again makes your fans uniquely free thinking?

If you doing the same thing over, and over again makes you cool, good for you. You need some more self confidence. Keep doing it.

I appreciate that you keep saying that I must be cool- but I'm not saying that.

Comment

Let's put it this way. I was in the crowd cheering for Tech the last time they hosted playoff games (and all the other home games that season). That's 1992-93 for those that don't follow Tech. Long enough to consider myself more than just a casual fan of the program, but someone who truly has a passion for the program, win or lose. With that being said I know there are people on this board that have followed Tech waaaay longer than me. We don't celebrate futility, but results are not all that matter to a true fan. We support the program regardless of the results. And we have some fun along the way as well... We not only take shots at others, but we have just as much fun taking shots at ourselves because we don't care what others think. It's the self-confidence that comes from knowing there is more to life than being the best at everything.
                      Ryan J
                      I was there! Might have only been in 3rd grade... but I was there!

And yeah, it's been rough. But how else do you get to have a pep band cheer "We're number 10!" because Rammer gets hot and you make a run at the Final Five?
                      MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Ryan J
                        What you are saying is that I have been a Tech more than 20 years longer than you have. Even went to a game at Bowling Green back in the 70's.

But I'm not worthy of your standards since I also am a fan of Michigan.

I'll mention that to my dad, since he pre-dates me as a Tech fan by at least 15 years. And is also a Michigan fan. You won't accept an alum like him.

Such selectivity.

And you get on OUR case for being arrogant.

Comment

So one Techie brings up the Walmart thing again as it's a bad thing. Some of you bring up the helmets, again. Then you call us lemmings, again. Droning on and on about the same things....

Can you explain how that's an example of free thinking?

Or perhaps explain that all of the traditions that you, your fans, and your band does that are the same motions time and time again makes your fans uniquely free thinking?

If you doing the same thing over, and over again makes you cool, good for you. You need some more self confidence. Keep doing it.

I appreciate that you keep saying that I must be cool- but I'm not saying that.
                          Self confidence leads to spike related embarrassment... Do we need that? No sir.

Comment

Someone is floundering and splashing near the surface . . . it's just going to draw sharks.

Looking forward to being at John J. MacInnes Student Ice Arena tomorrow night!

Comment

What you are saying is that I have been a Tech more than 20 years longer than you have. Even went to a game at Bowling Green back in the 70's.
                              Huh. I thought we were bantering with a student based on the quality of the retorts. How embarrassing for you.

Comment

And you get on OUR case for being arrogant.
                                It's a landmark day when Tech fans have reached the heights of being called "arrogant." Either the hockey team has a winning record for the first time in ever, or our teasing is paying off.

It's all in good fun, alfablue, we love all you Michigan fans. And we think it's quite noble that you let Red keep standing behind the bench, it's really very kind of you.
                                Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                                USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

Working...
                                X