Where are all the Air Force fans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are all the Air Force fans?

So I've been down to the Springs to catch Air Force and RIT quite a few times and every time it's a near sell out crowd, including a large student section. Yet I barely ever see their fans posting here or on r/collegehockey. What gives?

Anyway, looking forward to whoopin the Falcons this weekend.
    RIT Tigers

Re: Where are all the Air Force fans?

Probably flying planes.

Comment

I'm guessing in some foreign country protecting your freedom.
      BGSU Class of 2017

Comment

You'd think they'd have free time to post considering they retire at like 45.
        tUMD Hockey

"And there is a banana running around the DECC." "Well you don't see that every day..."

Comment

they have their own sports board.
          Originally posted by mtu_huskies
          "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
          Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
          Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

they have their own sports board. and yes they can retire after 20 years of service. we use to attend games years ago and they were poorly attended, but the several years of NCAA tourneys really got the fans going. family friendly, inexpensive.
            Boosh Factor 4

Comment

I'm resurrecting this thread in the hopes that there is Air Force fan or two that checks in on the forum from time to time since they don't seem to have a season thread.

While watching the UNO game against CC this past Friday at Dudley's Pizza & Tavern right across the street from our new arena construction site, the topic of the first game this upcoming October 15th in our new barn came up and the fact that it is against Air Force.

Which led to the obvious question.

Why Air Force?

I brought this up in our arena thread, already, months ago, but, no definitive rationale has been put forth, since. Nobody around here seems to know the basis for this choice (which would not have been my choice).

Any Air Force fan know something about the basis for this? UNO's first ever program win was against Air Force, in 1997. Their Head Coach is former Omaha Lancer's Head Coach Frank Serratore (for one season, the '89-'90 season, in which they won their first title and started the Lancers down the road of becoming the Montreal Canadiens of Junior Hockey in the United States). Neither of those things would seem to be the basis for this, but............inquiring minds were wondering in the bar discussion between periods Friday night.

Somebody else offered up the opinion that Omaha being the home to Offutt Air Force Base, which is the home of the United States Strategic Air Command, might be some sort of basis for this. But, the school, nor the hockey program, don't seem to have any visible ties to this.

Then, there was this sentiment. UNO just wanted schedule somebody they were pretty sure they could beat. I sure as hell hope that isn't true. I would have much preferred a "marquee" opponent. Or, a team with a more visible basis for being "the one".
              Last edited by Red Cows; 01-21-2015, 12:05 AM.

Comment

I like the first ever program win theory for UNO.

Comment

Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan View Post
                  I like the first ever program win theory for UNO.
                  And, you would be correct.

I spoke to Pat Morris, UNO's Assistant Athletic Director for Development yesterday on the phone and he confirmed to me that this is the reason. Former UNO Head Coach and now Associate Athletic Director of Events & Facilities, Mike Kemp, is in charge of scheduling and Pat told me that Mike, specifically, was very sentimental about this and that this IS the reason. Obviously, Coach Kemp was at the helm, then, as the only other Head Coach UNO hockey has ever known besides current Head Coach Dean Blais.

2 + 2 was 4 in this case.

Comment

yes, Air Force isn't always first in whatever league they are in, but they are one of those "any given Sunday" teams, that can always sneak up and beat you.
                    Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                      So I've been down to the Springs to catch Air Force and RIT quite a few times and every time it's a near sell out crowd, including a large student section. Yet I barely ever see their fans posting here or on r/collegehockey. What gives?

Anyway, looking forward to whoopin the Falcons this weekend.
                      My guess is like Army they will have student body support for their home games but not real interest in the sport itself.

Comment

Working...
                      X