PDA

View Full Version : Yale Hockey 2014-2015. 138 miles to the ultimate goal.

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19

LTsatch
01-31-2015, 01:57 PM
Saturday night, at home, against QU. Time to step up and make a statement.

Especially when QU has jumped over Yale in the Pairwise. Yale dropped to 17th after the Princeton win and QU is now 16th. Harvard's recent stuggles have not helped Yale in the PWR rankings either. go figure.

bulldog10jw
01-31-2015, 09:41 PM
Well, I was hoping for a better statement, but it certainly is better than a loss.

Yale86
01-31-2015, 10:31 PM
Well, I was hoping for a better statement, but it certainly is better than a loss.

I thought they played well tonight. Solid effort against a good team. QU always up for Yale. They had chances - 1 where Doherty I think was all alone in front of goalie and got tripped. Yale got a PP but should have gotten a penalty shot IMHO. These are the kind of games they are going to play down the stretch against quality opponents. The StL loss was bad, but not this. 3 pts is a good weekend. Still plenty of time left to see how it all shakes out. Was pleased to see Lyon kinda joking around with refs in front of me before start of OT. Also OB joined rush several times and the wrister from the point was a beauty. Was actually happy to see them not fool around with PU on Fri. Same with Brown 2 weeks ago. They are playing very sound hockey now. Should beat the teams they are supposed to beat. Teams like QU, Colgate etc will be nail-biters. Need to get to 20 wins or better by the end.

LTsatch
01-31-2015, 10:56 PM
Wondering why Yale was not allowed a review of the possible goal when Keith asked? Overall Yale played well, the Hayden and O'Gara penalties were a joke, but Yale also got away with a few non calls as did QU. Lack of PP production certainly is killing Yale this year. Very poor zone entry again tonight.

BigAl
01-31-2015, 11:19 PM
Wondering why Yale was not allowed a review of the possible goal when Keith asked? Overall Yale played well, the Hayden and O'Gara penalties were a joke, but Yale also got away with a few non calls as did QU. Lack of PP production certainly is killing Yale this year. Very poor zone entry again tonight.

Don't know why they didnt review it because they usually do but it wouldve been a waste of time to review it cause it clearly didnt go in from my vantage point. Good game. Looking forward to the rematch in 3 weeks

Yale86
02-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Don't know why they didnt review it because they usually do but it wouldve been a waste of time to review it cause it clearly didnt go in from my vantage point. Good game. Looking forward to the rematch in 3 weeks

@LTsatch - you are right. Special teams, lack of scoring threat is team's Achilles heel. If someone can step up, they're on their way. If not, we're in for a long stretch of these types of games and sweating out the PWR. Of course, we were sweating out the PWR 2 years ago and...😄

Let's Go BLUE!!!
02-01-2015, 09:18 PM

NHR reported that Allain asked his players if the puck went in, they replied no. It would have cost him a time out. He didn't want to waste it.

LTsatch
02-06-2015, 02:20 PM
Slightly important ancient rivalry tonight. Harvard, i am sure has revenge on the mind, if they played like they did against BU, it will be one hell of a game. Yale needs to bring the pressure early and keep the Crimson D pinned in their zone, just like the first two games. The Dartmouth game will be just as difficult, they are playing well lately and have nothing to lose. A few goals above the lousy season average would also help this weekend, must get the power play going if Yale wants to advance anywhere.

Yale86
02-06-2015, 10:00 PM
Very satisfying win tonight - on many levels. Yale's lack of a finisher, other than Hayden showed itself again tonight, but didn't cost them. They really must be in Harvard's heads because they don't look like the same team I saw in the Beanpot the other night. 1st goal seemed like a softy again, but 2nd one was not his fault. Nice pass from Izmirlian & Hayden just put the biscuit in the basket. Forecheck again excellent, although strangely, I thought penalty kill, power play looked a bit out of sync. But 5-on-5, this one was no contest. With Clarkson loss, we're now tied for 3rd. Only thing I can say for Harvard is, 2 years ago we were racked by injuries & hit the skids. This team still looks dangerous & has time to get its act together. One other thing I saw from Yale tonight, excellent passing - pucks seemed to always hit the tape, in addition to Allain's really excellent positional hockey. That tip play they always use with a forward up the half boards or at the red line creates a lot of chances, allows for efficient line changes when they need them. It's weird that you don't see other teams do this, but I'm glad our well coached team does. I think Repensky is turning into a heck of a player. And OB has a real dangerous shot from the point. I see Lyon growing more comfortable back there. Yeah, they dinged the post once, but hey, every good goalie gets one of those. He's not a stand on your head 63 shot guy, but they don't need him to be. He's just a really good goalie who shows more poise with each game - esp since StL hiccup. Just feeling really good after this game. I've got tix to both the b-ball & hockey games tomorrow night. I'll probably drop in on them both at some point. Go Blue!

Let's Go BLUE!!!
02-06-2015, 10:24 PM
Very satisfying win tonight - on many levels. Yale's lack of a finisher, other than Hayden showed itself again tonight, but didn't cost them. They really must be in Harvard's heads because they don't look like the same team I saw in the Beanpot the other night. 1st goal seemed like a softy again, but 2nd one was not his fault. Nice pass from Izmirlian & Hayden just put the biscuit in the basket. Forecheck again excellent, although strangely, I thought penalty kill, power play looked a bit out of sync. But 5-on-5, this one was no contest. With Clarkson loss, we're now tied for 3rd. Only thing I can say for Harvard is, 2 years ago we were racked by injuries & hit the skids. This team still looks dangerous & has time to get its act together. One other thing I saw from Yale tonight, excellent passing - pucks seemed to always hit the tape, in addition to Allain's really excellent positional hockey. That tip play they always use with a forward up the half boards or at the red line creates a lot of chances, allows for efficient line changes when they need them. It's weird that you don't see other teams do this, but I'm glad our well coached team does. I think Repensky is turning into a heck of a player. And OB has a real dangerous shot from the point. I see Lyon growing more comfortable back there. Yeah, they dinged the post once, but hey, every good goalie gets one of those. He's not a stand on your head 63 shot guy, but they don't need him to be. He's just a really good goalie who shows more poise with each game - esp since StL hiccup. Just feeling really good after this game. I've got tix to both the b-ball & hockey games tomorrow night. I'll probably drop in on them both at some point. Go Blue!

What was wrong with fallen tonight? Hardly played, and when he did he was below average. Is he hurt? Sick?
O'Keefe dressed tonight as a forward, is everyone else hurt or sick?

goblue78
02-06-2015, 10:32 PM
And, pending the rest of the results this evening, 13th in the PWR. Just win.

bulldog10jw
02-06-2015, 10:40 PM

Solid and satisfying win, as you said. It sure would be nice to see some power play goals against somebody beside Princeton, though.

Yale86
02-06-2015, 11:20 PM
What was wrong with fallen tonight? Hardly played, and when he did he was below average. Is he hurt? Sick?
O'Keefe dressed tonight as a forward, is everyone else hurt or sick?

Don't think Fallen hurt. I just think Rapensky pairing got a lot of ice time tonight. I mean, Fallen had a beauty of an outlet pass / assist that led to a goal vs Princeton last weekend. But yeah, tonight was a quiet night for him. Too bad they don't have a coaches stat sheet so you can see how much ice time guys log. Again, it's funny how you notice some players, form opinions. Like Izmirlian lost a faceoff tonight in Harvards end on PP and I'm thinking, can he ever win a faceoff? Then the stat sheet says he took the most for Yale tonight and he lost only 1. And right after - ahem - the penalty he took on that acting job where the Harvard player dropped his stick like he'd been electrocuted, he makes a gorgeous feed to Hayden. Shows what I know. IMHO Allain is doing a little shuffling, nothing more, to try to find some offense & settle on some line combinations / pairings go forward. It's getting to be like Hoodie with Pats. This guy is great, we're lucky to have him. And the players are good, fundamentally sound. I just watch, trust & enjoy a night like tonight. It all starts with Tom Beckett too. A truly professional guy who wasn't afraid to make the switch when it needed to be made. Only complaint Imhave is the lousy mascot. One of my kids at UConn too. Hate the switch to satanic dog. I mean, the old Bulldog was classic, didn't need updating. Coach yes, mascot no. This team right now is solid. But in a way where a game like tonight 3-0 feels like 6-0. And it just seems like there are going to be a bunch of 2-1 games ahead with little or no margin for error unless some how a couple of guys emerge offensively & on special teams. I really just think Allain is tinkering a little to find that out. I could be wrong - you could certainly be right. But right now, I'm partly going on trust in Coach and in a really fundamentally sound team - which I appreciate. I mean, again I'm no expert, but I really noticed the crisp passing tonight and Lyon's poise. Trouble is, with teams like this, they can go really far, or lose a nail biter that ends their season quick. Team is starting to remind me of Cornell teams with Scrivens a few years back. Now obviously Lyon isn't Scrivens - yet. But those teams were solid, not much firepower, good at home etc. and they were gone early in NCAA's. But I think the caliber of player at Yale - and Harvard for that matter - has gone way up. And the speed of ECAC teams is deceiving - it's not the EZAC anymore. I saw Yale coming - esp after beating NoDak and scoring 7 vs BC a couple of years before they won. Union I saw coming a mile away too. I knew they were going to smoke Minny last year (my oldest at Michigan so I see a lot of Midwest schools now too - speed difference is noticeable). I honestly think BU or Michigan Tech based on what I see this year. But Yale and Harvard are good. And Harvard looks a LOT like we did 2 years ago. If they get healthy, get their heads on right, stay high enough in PWR, they are a title threat. Yale can be too - but I see a real tight rope walk.

LTsatch
02-07-2015, 10:51 AM
Solid and satisfying win, as you said. It sure would be nice to see some power play goals against somebody beside Princeton, though.

You could see that they were trying to get the Repensky bomb from the point going, but Harvard is just too good at the kill to fall for that one. For whatever reason, Yale has gotten away from the one timers and passes below the dots on the PP. It used to be an almost expected play when the team had better snipers. Great all around effort by the team last night, especially on the forecheck.. I was a little dismayed after the first, especially with the shot totals so heavily on the Harvard side. You could see that Harvard was wearing down as the game went on and Yale did enough offensively to come out with the very important "W". Alex Lyon nows holds the Yale record for career shutouts as a Sophomore!

Let's Go BLUE!!!
02-07-2015, 03:12 PM
Don't think Fallen hurt. I just think Rapensky pairing got a lot of ice time tonight. I mean, Fallen had a beauty of an outlet pass / assist that led to a goal vs Princeton last weekend. But yeah, tonight was a quiet night for him. Too bad they don't have a coaches stat sheet so you can see how much ice time guys log. Again, it's funny how you notice some players, form opinions. Like Izmirlian lost a faceoff tonight in Harvards end on PP and I'm thinking, can he ever win a faceoff? Then the stat sheet says he took the most for Yale tonight and he lost only 1. And right after - ahem - the penalty he took on that acting job where the Harvard player dropped his stick like he'd been electrocuted, he makes a gorgeous feed to Hayden. Shows what I know. IMHO Allain is doing a little shuffling, nothing more, to try to find some offense & settle on some line combinations / pairings go forward. It's getting to be like Hoodie with Pats. This guy is great, we're lucky to have him. And the players are good, fundamentally sound. I just watch, trust & enjoy a night like tonight. It all starts with Tom Beckett too. A truly professional guy who wasn't afraid to make the switch when it needed to be made. Only complaint Imhave is the lousy mascot. One of my kids at UConn too. Hate the switch to satanic dog. I mean, the old Bulldog was classic, didn't need updating. Coach yes, mascot no. This team right now is solid. But in a way where a game like tonight 3-0 feels like 6-0. And it just seems like there are going to be a bunch of 2-1 games ahead with little or no margin for error unless some how a couple of guys emerge offensively & on special teams. I really just think Allain is tinkering a little to find that out. I could be wrong - you could certainly be right. But right now, I'm partly going on trust in Coach and in a really fundamentally sound team - which I appreciate. I mean, again I'm no expert, but I really noticed the crisp passing tonight and Lyon's poise. Trouble is, with teams like this, they can go really far, or lose a nail biter that ends their season quick. Team is starting to remind me of Cornell teams with Scrivens a few years back. Now obviously Lyon isn't Scrivens - yet. But those teams were solid, not much firepower, good at home etc. and they were gone early in NCAA's. But I think the caliber of player at Yale - and Harvard for that matter - has gone way up. And the speed of ECAC teams is deceiving - it's not the EZAC anymore. I saw Yale coming - esp after beating NoDak and scoring 7 vs BC a couple of years before they won. Union I saw coming a mile away too. I knew they were going to smoke Minny last year (my oldest at Michigan so I see a lot of Midwest schools now too - speed difference is noticeable). I honestly think BU or Michigan Tech based on what I see this year. But Yale and Harvard are good. And Harvard looks a LOT like we did 2 years ago. If they get healthy, get their heads on right, stay high enough in PWR, they are a title threat. Yale can be too - but I see a real tight rope walk.

I was watching Fallen's body language on the bench, he appeared to be in some sort of physical difficulties (illness or injury). When he was on the ice he was making poor decisions and sub par plays. IMHO he is Yale's best D, for him to play the way he did last night something had to be off. Also, Larkin and Repensky were paired a couple of times last night. The defensive future is bright.

LTsatch
02-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Erratic game by Yale, defense finally let down Lyon. none of the goals were his fault. Bad drop in PWR. Must keep winning to have a chance.

cornellgradyalefan
02-08-2015, 01:26 AM
Erratic game by Yale, defense finally let down Lyon. none of the goals were his fault. Bad drop in PWR. Must keep winning to have a chance.
Defense left him exposed all night but I thought the 5th goal was a bit soft. Nevertheless, this game was the first truly bad defensive game I've seen all year. maybe they were a little spent after the intensity of the Harvard game.

Yale86
02-08-2015, 12:03 PM
Defense left him exposed all night but I thought the 5th goal was a bit soft. Nevertheless, this game was the first truly bad defensive game I've seen all year. maybe they were a little spent after the intensity of the Harvard game.

Didn't see that one coming. Didn't see the game either - was at PWG. Still Dartmouth hot, Yale obviously had a let down game. Put it behind us & keep the faith.

bulldog10jw
02-08-2015, 02:56 PM
Didn't see that one coming. Didn't see the game either - was at PWG. Still Dartmouth hot, Yale obviously had a let down game. Put it behind us & keep the faith.

I didn't see this one coming before the game, but I had a bad feeling when Yale didn't seem to get any momentum from the short handed goal. Forget it, and move on.

LTsatch
02-13-2015, 09:57 PM
Did not get to see or hear the game. I guess the defense and Lyon are back on track!