Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yale Hockey 2014-2015. 138 miles to the ultimate goal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Yale Hockey 2014-2015. 138 miles to the ultimate goal.

Interesting decision by Allain... would definitely have led to some second-guessing had Yale not played as well as they did.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m...20150103e6c5i2

Hayden...was back at the Whale today ready to skate. "He (Hayden) begged me to play today," said Allain, who felt it was better for Hayden and the Bulldogs to have the sophomore sit out tonight's contest.

Comment

Originally posted by goblue78 View Post
      Interesting decision by Allain... would definitely have led to some second-guessing had Yale not played as well as they did.

http://www.yalebulldogs.com/sports/m...20150103e6c5i2

Hayden...was back at the Whale today ready to skate. "He (Hayden) begged me to play today," said Allain, who felt it was better for Hayden and the Bulldogs to have the sophomore sit out tonight's contest.
      At the game, I was under the impression that Hayden just did not make it back. interesting that Keith kept him out of such an important game. BU did the same thing with Eichel. Great game by Yale last night! It gave me some real hope for this team, which seems to be buying into the system and gelling at the right time. Power Play still needs work.
      YALE HOCKEY
      2013 National Champions

Comment

I agree, LT. I was there too, and I thought that was a better effort than they had in any game last year. The other thing I found interesting in the article was Allain's fairly frank admission that he has changed the team's focus from offensive to defensive. That sort of flexibility is rare in a coach, but it is necessary for any coach who can't get the top-drawer recruits. Now the fans have to get used to it... A few more games like that one would go a long way to convincing me...

Comment

Originally posted by goblue78 View Post
          That sort of flexibility is rare in a coach
          Please excuse the intrusion .... many really good coaches can come up with a "system", often something they may have adapted from coaching a previous team. Something that might have worked best at sometime in their past. These coaches recruit specifically for that model of player that fits into their system. This can work. A truely outstanding coach modifies the "system", i.e. the game plan to suit the skills, experience, motivation, adaptability and competitive advantage the players bring. Sounds like Allain is one of these outstanding coaches. His record would certainly indicate that.

Bennett has also exhibited this flexibility, coming up with a continuation of core values and fundamental skills but ajusting the team
          to leveage its strengths, and recently that has been in offensive minded defensemen. The ECAC has barriers that will alwasy mean it is dissadvantaged when coming to recruiting so to survive as a coach, you have to go with your strengths. UML is another team that has recognized its strenths and moving to exploit them.

The ECAC has got some very good coaches.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Forgot to post these but pics from the Holy Cross and Yale game.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/959433...7647696608484/
            Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

The defense minded approach has worked so well that Yale is now tied with Cornell for first in D-1 in Gpg allowed . Also building a team around an excellent goalie helps. Ironically, Harvard, who Yale plays Saturday night, is the number one scoring team in D-1, it's like the twilight zone. Headed up to the Northeastern game Tuesday, anyone know the best place to park, arriving around 5:30.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Hi LTsatch,

There's a parking garage across from the Museum of Fine Art. I believe the parking garage address is: 20 Museum Road, Boston, MA 02115.

Alternately, you can avoid the MassPike traffic and take the T into town. I usually go by I-84 East to I-90 East to Exit 14 (I-95 South) and take Exit 21A (RT-16E - Washington Ave). Woodland T station is at 1940 Washington Avenue, Newton, MA 02466. $5 parking all day long there.
                Last edited by Stan The Man; 01-05-2015, 11:33 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                  The defense minded approach has worked so well that Yale is now tied with Cornell for first in D-1 in Gpg allowed . Also building a team around an excellent goalie helps. Ironically, Harvard, who Yale plays Saturday night, is the number one scoring team in D-1, it's like the twilight zone. Headed up to the Northeastern game Tuesday, anyone know the best place to park, arriving around 5:30.
                  There is FREE parking at Northeastern.

From the official NU athletics site.

PARKING INFORMATION
                  Free parking - Camden Lot. Located off of Camden St., which can be reached via Columbus Ave. This lot is open on a first come, first served basis to the general public and there is no fee to park here. The Camden Lot opens one hour and 30 minutes before every home event at Matthews Arena. Once you have parked your vehicle, the arena can be reached by taking the foot bridge over the MBTA tracks.
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Thanks guys, I saw that free lot direction on the NE site. I will probably try that as i am arriving in town just before it opens (hopefully around 5:15) I will most likely be going against the rush hour grain for most of the trip up. Should be a good game.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

• Re: Yale Hockey 2014-2015. 138 miles to the ultimate goal.

Previewing Yale-NU game

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015...ra-john-hayden
                      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Very good all around performance against Harvard last night. Great D as usual and several very good scoring chances in addition to the goals they did score. Way to come up big on the big stage.

Comment

+1 great effort and an enjoyable game to be at. I hope they continue this event, with 12,700 attending, it was a great showcase for college hockey
                          YALE HOCKEY
                          2013 National Champions

Comment

Your guys played very well. I regret that ours could not bring you a greater effort and a better game. My understanding is that this event series was set up initially as a three year run, and I think my eldest and I will have to make the trip down next year. Congratulations are due to the Bulldogs, even if they are are the sole source of losses for my team thus far this season.
                            Last edited by Crimson on the Glass; 01-11-2015, 08:46 AM.

Comment

Solid performance that Harvard could not match. Congrats on the win and good luck moving forward.

Comment

Great game by Yale last night. Harvard was missing several key players and this was their first game since break. I suspect they don't make same scheduling mistake next year. Yale moved up nicely in pair wise although loss to NU hurts as it was a game we should have one
                                and may haunt team come post season selection.

A QUESTION
                                On yale's second goal player was offsides (at least appeared to be). Refs reviewed call and then announced it was overturned. Then they reviewed further and said it was a goal. What is the rule here? Maybe they couldn't use the video that clearly showed offsides? Or is it not reviewable anymore (?only in postseason). Anyone have explanation.
                                -------------
                                Yale University 2013 National Champs

Comment

Working...
                                X