Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yale Hockey 2014-2015. 138 miles to the ultimate goal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Yale Hockey 2014-2015. 138 miles to the ultimate goal.

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
    Students are the only general admission section. The rest are assigned seating and hence the need for ushers.
    When I was there last weekend the ushers did nothing to keep a few groups of students from sitting wherever they felt like. There was a group in our seats that when we showed them our tickets they moved to another seat in the section and then that group showed up and they moved again. Anywho, it did seem a bit disorganized, the ushers didn't seem to do much about it. So I agree a bit with Boola on that one ... On another note, your arena is gorgeous!!!
    St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
    4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
    2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
    16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
    9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
    2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Originally posted by Saints#1 View Post
      When I was there last weekend the ushers did nothing to keep a few groups of students from sitting wherever they felt like.
      I think it depends on the usher/section. The ushers in 113 were doing a pretty good job keeping the students away prior to the game. As the game wore on, more and more of them started filling in some of the empty seats. There were plenty of Yale students (or maybe just young fans) doing the same. The Bank was a madhouse last night for sure.

As for the game, neither team seemed to play to their potential but it was a good game nonetheless. Somewhat fitting that both games ended in a tie I guess...
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
      Northeast Regional:
      West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

In general the students are pretty good. Just loud, which is what they are supposed to be doing. There were a couple of real bad ones in the Yale section. I saw parents leaving with young children because of the language. It was really bad.

I don't understand why the ice is so bad, it certainly isn't from overuse.

Comment

Originally posted by Boola View Post
          I don't understand why the ice is so bad, it certainly isn't from overuse.
          Not sure I understand what you mean. The ice seemed fine to me last night, certainly no worse than it's been all season. I didn't really see any instances of the ice affecting play.
          Quinnipiac Bobcats
          2023 National Champions
          ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
          ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
          East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
          Northeast Regional:
          West Regional: 2015, 2021
          Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
          Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

The puck was bouncing all over the place, there were a lot of ruts in the corners visable from the stands. Both coaches commented on the poor ice conditions in their post game interviews. I don't think it effected the outcome of the game, just the flow.

Comment

I would think that the warmer than usual ambient conditions with the packed house could have been part of the problem. Although a few players I know hate the ice there, saying it is the softest in the league. Ingalls is not much better BTW. Both rinks should take a hint from others and start having shovel crews like other rinks do and clean the edges and creases late in the periods.
              YALE HOCKEY
              2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                I would think that the warmer than usual ambient conditions with the packed house could have been part of the problem. Although a few players I know hate the ice there, saying it is the softest in the league. Ingalls is not much better BTW. Both rinks should take a hint from others and start having shovel crews like other rinks do and clean the edges and creases late in the periods.
                Not to butt in, but most rinks in the mid west send out a small crew at the TV time outs, ( 3 times per period) to clean the ice in front of the crease.
                MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

Comment

Nooooooo! They do that in Hockey East and it's so silly. And they always time it so they get a timely timeout for the home team. There are lots of other ways to get good ice like just keeping the doors open in this weather!
                  9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                  1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Nice workmanlike win for the Blue and White. DiChiara had a great weekend and is stepping up at the right time. Also nice to see Yale put a spanking on Finney after the ECAC snubbed Lyon for goalie of the week last week. Watching the end of the SCSU to see what it does to Yale's PWR standing.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Nice workmanlike win for the Blue and White. DiChiara had a great weekend and is stepping up at the right time. Also nice to see Yale put a spanking on Finney after the ECAC snubbed Lyon for goalie of the week last week. Watching the end of the SCSU to see what it does to Yale's PWR standing.
                      Well a 1-0-1 weekend actually sees us lower in PWR than when we started. How?
                      Well, before the season started we discussed just how weak out out of conference schedule was, and no doubt this is strongly reflected in our current PWR and RPI.
                      Our SOS is 44th in the country.
                      So thus despite only one out of conference loss (@Northeastern when we were leading 2-0), there is still a lot of work to do if this team wants to make it to the NCAAs despite presently having the 6th best winning percentage in the country.
                      Certainly in the past Yale has scheduled more difficult OOC games, and as a recent national champ there would seem to be ability to schedule tougher. I have to think not scheduling a difficult OOC schedule is intentional and I'm not sure I get the reasoning.
                      Sadly, with limited OOC games, starting the season later than everyone else (and thus playing another Ivy in opening tourney- which I agree with), and being committed to playing an OOC game vs. Harvard every year, that leaves even less opportunity. For starters we simply must stop playing Holy Cross, and should not be scheduling any games vs. Atlantic Hockey teams. Playing Holy Cross and RIT this year is a joke.
                      With that said, in order to make NCAAs Yale is likely going to need to make it to the ECAC finals (assuming we get at least 2-4 points this weekend).
                      Does anyone know if there is a third place game still? If so, I guess that might help us, although losing twice in ECAC championship (like we did in 2013) would certainly eliminate us from NCAAs.
                      -------------
                      Yale University 2013 National Champs

Comment

• Originally posted by yalehockeyfan View Post
                        Well a 1-0-1 weekend actually sees us lower in PWR than when we started. How?
                        Well, before the season started we discussed just how weak out out of conference schedule was, and no doubt this is strongly reflected in our current PWR and RPI.
                        Our SOS is 44th in the country.
                        So thus despite only one out of conference loss (@Northeastern when we were leading 2-0), there is still a lot of work to do if this team wants to make it to the NCAAs despite presently having the 6th best winning percentage in the country.
                        Certainly in the past Yale has scheduled more difficult OOC games, and as a recent national champ there would seem to be ability to schedule tougher. I have to think not scheduling a difficult OOC schedule is intentional and I'm not sure I get the reasoning.
                        Sadly, with limited OOC games, starting the season later than everyone else (and thus playing another Ivy in opening tourney- which I agree with), and being committed to playing an OOC game vs. Harvard every year, that leaves even less opportunity. For starters we simply must stop playing Holy Cross, and should not be scheduling any games vs. Atlantic Hockey teams. Playing Holy Cross and RIT this year is a joke.
                        With that said, in order to make NCAAs Yale is likely going to need to make it to the ECAC finals (assuming we get at least 2-4 points this weekend).
                        Does anyone know if there is a third place game still? If so, I guess that might help us, although losing twice in ECAC championship (like we did in 2013) would certainly eliminate us from NCAAs.
                        There is still a third place game, but last time we were in it after Yale stole it from us, we beat Princeton in A shootout, but it counted as a tie and with a win we would have been in, with a tie we were out....but, hey, at least Joe Marsh cracked everyone up railing against shootouts!
                        9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                        1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

No third place game.

I agree with everything you say (and was just saying it yesterday on FB). The tie with Princeton in the initial game, which you'd think would be devastating was actually less harmful than the loss to Northeastern. Northeastern has been playing better lately, and a run in Hockey East (and especially a Beanpot win) would help Yale a bit. I think the theory on the HC game was to have a warmup game coming off break, but wasn't that was the Russian game was supposed to be? Of course, the Harvard win looked great OOC until Harvard started flailing. Vermont is slowly sinking as well. If the CT tourney they keep talking about comes off, we'll just replace RIT with Sacred Heart, and add another potential QPac game (especially if they move to HE). Anyway, scheduling will always be a problem when we start late and are restricted in total regular season games.
                          Last edited by goblue78; 02-22-2015, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                            There is still a third place game\
                            Nope. http://www.ecachockey.com/men/champi...0212_Fan_Guide

Eliminated last year after it almost cost Yale a national championship. Thugh of course as yalehockeyfan points out, it will always help the winner if they're on the bubble and hurt the loser.

Comment

We started this years thread talking about the lousy schedule, lets hope we don't end the thread the same way. As diane says on the FB page, just win. Going to be a tough weekend against Cornell and Colgate, they are playing for pride now and never let Yale off the hook. Here is a thought, would two points only against Colgate, and the loss of the bye, help Yale in the PWR if they have the potential to win more games. It is a devil's deal and not the way the game is played, but maybe one of the guru's here could figure it out. Or just get the bye and win the GD tourney!
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Here is a thought, would two points only against Colgate, and the loss of the bye, help Yale in the PWR if they have the potential to win more games.
                                It's an interesting thought (I've discussed it before with Patman) but this year, I think not. The easy way to think about it is that you are, at best, trading a loss for two wins. Since our winning percentage is already around .667 that doesn't do much, even if you guaranteed two wins in the first round of the playoffs. And two wins against Princeton won't help much at all, as we saw last night. And Brown? I'd be far more worried about losing one to those guys. Let's take our two wins this year and leave them behind. (Still seeing that **** Harry Z...) So I'd say that at least 3 points next week is what we need to maintain our position and take it from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X