Chatham?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chatham?

I want some different takes on this one because well, I don't have many facts to go on.

As of next year, Chatham is fielding men's varsity teams. (If you didn't hear, they are now co-ed.) At the moment, they sponsor women's hockey in the ECACW.... Does anyone think they will possibly start fielding a men's squad in the next few years, and could be the ECACW's elusive seventh team? I know Title IX considerations could make that difficult, but still, give some thought to that one.

How much longer does the ECACW wait?
    Our bite is worse than our bark....
    Top guys, out.

Re: Chatham?

Wouldn't Title IX favor the men in this case?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
      Wouldn't Title IX favor the men in this case?
      Yes, I believe it would....
      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Hopefully the administration would give both teams more support than the ladies have gotten to date. Otherwise, the men would be looking at getting Lebanon Valley/Scranton to the extreme. It wouldn't be good for hockey as a whole. It's been good to see the 15-0 scores out of the game.
        Steve
        Penn State Class of '95
        Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Lebanon Valley could have worked, SHOULD have worked if they changed their recruiting model when they joined the West. They didn't and the slaughter began.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

They are "co-ed", but 91% female to 9% male, they have an endowment of $63,349,605 and their 2014-2015 Tuition & Fees are $33,429.

They have away to go before adding a men's hockey program - but - I do believe it is in the scope of the future.
            Larry Normandin
            SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
            WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
              They are "co-ed", but 91% female to 9% male, they have an endowment of $63,349,605 and their 2014-2015 Tuition & Fees are $33,429.

They have away to go before adding a men's hockey program - but - I do believe it is in the scope of the future.
              Keep in mind too... the male enrollment will grow due to A. Father Time, and B. Athletics. They've admitted one cohort of male undergrads. Give that a few years. Athletics should speed up the process too.
              Our bite is worse than our bark....
              Top guys, out.

Comment

Originally posted by vcxc3200 View Post
                Keep in mind too... the male enrollment will grow due to A. Father Time, and B. Athletics. They've admitted one cohort of male undergrads. Give that a few years. Athletics should speed up the process too.
                Very true - and the ratio isn't a bad recruiting tool either. I do believe that male sports will happen in due course (also Title IX) and adding men's hockey would be highly synergistic with a women's team already in place.
                Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by vcxc3200 View Post
                  Which was exactly the plan Nazareth College used when they went co-ed -- grow the athletics program to help recruit male students (not necessarily athletes) to the school. It seemed to have worked.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    Which was exactly the plan Nazareth College used when they went co-ed -- grow the athletics program to help recruit male students (not necessarily athletes) to the school. It seemed to have worked.
                    +1

Formerly all female, Seton Hill University became co-ed in 2002 and has also done very well with its co-ed athletics (NCAA DII), and I do expect Chatham to be successfully as well.
                    Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by norm1909 View Post
                      +1

Formerly all female, Seton Hill University became co-ed in 2002 and has also done very well with its co-ed athletics (NCAA DII), and I do expect Chatham to be successfully as well.
                      Chatham Women's Hockey is pretty much a joke, 4-46 their last three seasons and some of the worst goals I've ever seen given up. For Plattsburgh the long trip there and back is probably tougher than playing the Cougars on the ice when its their turn to be the road team.

But I guess for both the teams and the fans of the ECAC West schools it would be manna from heaven if the team that gives them the autobid is also a perennial cupcake like Chatham Men's Hockey is bound to be.

Comment

Chatham's women have been pretty rough to watch the past couple years, but Buffalo State hasn't exactly wowed me in women's hockey, either.

And neither one of them had a 72-game losing streak like Finlandia did, which they snapped last season. There's plenty of cupcakes in D-3 women's hockey.
                        FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                          Chatham's women have been pretty rough to watch the past couple years, but Buffalo State hasn't exactly wowed me in women's hockey, either.

And neither one of them had a 72-game losing streak like Finlandia did, which they snapped last season. There's plenty of cupcakes in D-3 women's hockey.
                          The problem with Chatham, and what I bring up every time they are discussed is that they've yet to be able to field a full roster. They are way behind before they even hit the ice. With half the roster of their opponents, they work their asses off on the ice. I actually pull for them (except when they play Plattsburgh). Those girls deserve better than the school has been able to do for them so far.
                          Steve
                          Penn State Class of '95
                          Plattsburgh State Class of '99

If corn oil is made from corn, and vegetable oil is made from vegetables, then what is baby oil made from?

Comment

Originally posted by spwood View Post
                            The problem with Chatham, and what I bring up every time they are discussed is that they've yet to be able to field a full roster. They are way behind before they even hit the ice. With half the roster of their opponents, they work their asses off on the ice. I actually pull for them (except when they play Plattsburgh). Those girls deserve better than the school has been able to do for them so far.
                            You are correct and the sad thing is, the cost of doing a great job and a poor job differ by maybe 10-15%
                            Larry Normandin

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Working...
                            X