Pure Michigan Invades the Spirit of America: UM/MSU at Lowell/BU 10/24-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pure Michigan Invades the Spirit of America: UM/MSU at Lowell/BU 10/24-25

The Big Ten's Michigan representatives travel to the great state of Massachusetts this weekend to take on a couple of Hockey East foes in the next stage of the B1G/HE Challenge.

Last weekend wasn't a good one for the Big Ten, but the Michigan schools helped salvage some of the damage. While OSU and Wisconsin were both swept by Miami and Northern and Penn State went 0-1-1 in Alaska, the Spartans and Wolverines each earned a split. Still, even with a .500 weekend, there was still much more to be desired out of the in-state rivals.

Michigan State opened their season strong Friday night, taking care of the Minutemen of Amherst 5-3, and looked to be on their way to a series sweep Saturday. That was, until the final five minutes. In addition to the graphics board freezing, the new refrigeration system busting, causing the third period to be played on slush, and a less than stellar pep band, MSU gave up a goal to tie the game at 3-3 with five minutes remaining. With four minutes left, the Spartans earned a five minute major for contact to the head. Despite this, the penalty kill played strong and looked like they were at least going to get the game into overtime before UMass scored with 10 seconds left to get the 4-3 win.

Michigan had opposite results. On Friday they were blown out 5-1 by UNH before splitting the series Saturday with a close 2-1 victory. Tacking on a loss long ago against Ferris, the Wolverines are 1-2-0 on the year.

The Terriers of Boston U were off last weekend, but come into the Big Ten crossover series with a 1-0-0 record after blowing out UMass 8-1.

Lowell got three points from a non-con series with Quinnipiac, taking Friday's game in Lowell 6-3 before tying 3-3 in Hamden on Saturday. With a 5-2 win over BC to start the season, the Riverhawks are off to a great 2-0-1 start.

Michigan will head to Lowell to play on Friday, while the Spartans will be playing BU at Agganis. Saturday will be MSU at Lowell and UM at Boston U.

I would be happy with just a tie from the Spartans this weekend. We got a win out of BU last season, but they look greatly improved and obviously played better against UMass than we did.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    The Big Ten's Michigan representatives travel to the great state of Massachusetts this weekend to take on a couple of Hockey East foes in the next stage of the B1G/HE Challenge.

Last weekend wasn't a good one for the Big Ten, but the Michigan schools helped salvage some of the damage. While OSU and Wisconsin were both swept by Miami and Northern and Penn State went 0-1-1 in Alaska, the Spartans and Wolverines each earned a split. Still, even with a .500 weekend, there was still much more to be desired out of the in-state rivals.

Michigan State opened their season strong Friday night, taking care of the Minutemen of Amherst 5-3, and looked to be on their way to a series sweep Saturday. That was, until the final five minutes. In addition to the graphics board freezing, the new refrigeration system busting, causing the third period to be played on slush, and a less than stellar pep band, MSU gave up a goal to tie the game at 3-3 with five minutes remaining. With four minutes left, the Spartans earned a five minute major for contact to the head. Despite this, the penalty kill played strong and looked like they were at least going to get the game into overtime before UMass scored with 10 seconds left to get the 4-3 win.

Michigan had opposite results. On Friday they were blown out 5-1 by UNH before splitting the series Saturday with a close 2-1 victory. Tacking on a loss long ago against Ferris, the Wolverines are 1-2-0 on the year.

The Terriers of Boston U were off last weekend, but come into the Big Ten crossover series with a 1-0-0 record after blowing out UMass 8-1.

Lowell got three points from a non-con series with Quinnipiac, taking Friday's game in Lowell 6-3 before tying 3-3 in Hamden on Saturday. With a 5-2 win over BC to start the season, the Riverhawks are off to a great 2-0-1 start.

Michigan will head to Lowell to play on Friday, while the Spartans will be playing BU at Agganis. Saturday will be MSU at Lowell and UM at Boston U.

I would be happy with just a tie from the Spartans this weekend. We got a win out of BU last season, but they look greatly improved and obviously played better against UMass than we did.
    BU played the U-18 squad and Eichel is tearing it up I hear...
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Re: Pure Michigan Invades the Spirit of America: UM/MSU at Lowell/BU 10/24-25

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post

The blue DOMINATED the first 15 minutes. They just couldn't get the puck into the net.

In all honesty I was very disappointed in the officiating Friday. the first UNH goal should not have had a dead puck whistle before it was jammed in. The fourth one never did cross the goal line.

STILL that would have been a 3-1 final. A loss is always a loss. It just wasn't as lopsided as it would appear from the score.
      Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
      Row 1
      Seats 6 & 7
      Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Please wake me up when it's over. We cannot even get a feed.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
          The blue DOMINATED the first 15 minutes. They just couldn't get the puck into the net.

In all honesty I was very disappointed in the officiating Friday. the first UNH goal should not have had a dead puck whistle before it was jammed in. The fourth one never did cross the goal line.

STILL that would have been a 3-1 final. A loss is always a loss. It just wasn't as lopsided as it would appear from the score.
          No, I think 5-1 was a correct level of lopsidedness. To the degree that we dominated and then rolled over, we deserved that loss- to that degree.

(and I thought the first goal was ok- the puck really wasn't covered by anyone)

For this weekend, I will say what I said last week- I really love the match B1G- Hockey East challenge! It was great to host UNH this year, and really look forward to this weekend. BU is always a great opponent to play, and UML is getting to be a regular top team.

Michigan played a whole lot different on Saturday, and hope to see that this weekend as well. Goalie- don't have a clue. I suspect that Red will rotate until one really takes the opportunity. So far Racine has looked more comfortable than Nagelvoort, but their issues are all mental- so it can change in an instant.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Michigan played a whole lot different on Saturday, and hope to see that this weekend as well. Goalie- don't have a clue. I suspect that Red will rotate until one really takes the opportunity. So far Racine has looked more comfortable than Nagelvoort, but their issues are all mental- so it can change in an instant.
            Goalies will be interesting to see this year. If you look at the stats Nagelvoort has allowed 9 goals in 2 games, and Racine 1 in 1 game. But, as you stated, the team played a lot different on Saturday. The goal stats have more to do with that than the goalies, IMO. It was great to see the team come out with some fire under them after Friday's loss. Hopefully we see more of that this weekend.

I'm headed out to the games this weekend and excited to add rink #28 (I am still trying to see a game at all D1 rinks). Already been to BU, but Lowell will be new for me.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              Goalies will be interesting to see this year. If you look at the stats Nagelvoort has allowed 9 goals in 2 games, and Racine 1 in 1 game. But, as you stated, the team played a lot different on Saturday. The goal stats have more to do with that than the goalies, IMO. It was great to see the team come out with some fire under them after Friday's loss. Hopefully we see more of that this weekend.

I'm headed out to the games this weekend and excited to add rink #28 (I am still trying to see a game at all D1 rinks). Already been to BU, but Lowell will be new for me.
              Anyone else coming? We're supposed to get some serious rain Wed-Fri. Hope it doesn't affect any travel plans.

Comment

FYI for those of you coming to Lowell. It is Homecoming Weekend. Lots going on around the arena so make your parking and dinner plans accordingly.

Comment

Look forward to meeting people. At least Friday, I will be found at Beer Works at the bar, wearing a white Chiefs jersey (#20 Kinley). Saturday, may be at the homecoming festivities but may just opt for the bar again if the weather and/or activities don't interest me.
                  Gary

www.umlhockey.com
                  Unofficial Home of Lowell Hockey

182nd member to 2,000 posts
                  "It's like putting lipstick on a pig." Chris MacKenzie says, speaking of the fresh paint on the visiting locker room at Alfond.
                  KnowItAll: "I have little respect for the imagination and creativity of a person who can only think of ONE way to spell a word."

Comment

Rooting for both the Wolverines and Sparty? Oh well, I've done worse.
                    Let's go guys, do the B1G proud!

Comment

Originally posted by spartanforlife4 View Post
                      the big ten's michigan representatives travel to the great commonwealth of massachusetts
                      fyp

Comment

I know Lowell's growing up in the hockey world, when Michigan and Michigan State will be visiting for the first time.

BTW, for the fans of those two teams ... you get two great Hockey East arenas to visit. Easily the best two in the league, and both sell beer!
                        Monty

2011-2012 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2012-2013 Hockey East Regular Season Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions, and Frozen Four Participants
                        2013-2014 Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2015-2016 NCAA Tournament Participants
                        2016-2017 Hockey East Regular Season Co-Champions, Hockey East Tournament Champions and NCAA Tournament Participants

Comment

Originally posted by UMLFan View Post
                          I know Lowell's growing up in the hockey world, when Michigan and Michigan State will be visiting for the first time.

BTW, for the fans of those two teams ... you get two great Hockey East arenas to visit. Easily the best two in the league, and both sell beer!
                          UML fans, forgive me, but I'm pretty sure we won't be in Lowell anytime soon.

But realtive to the campus, where's BU's arena?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                            UML fans, forgive me, but I'm pretty sure we won't be in Lowell anytime soon.
                            But relative to the campus, where's BU's arena?
                            Ah yes, a short walk, but far enough that beer can be purchased (♥.♥). Was there for the Ice Breaker, in that sad 2008-09 season.
                            Last edited by owslachief; 10-23-2014, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
                              fyp
                              Oh I'm sorry, I thought we fought a war to get out of commonwealths. (but really I can only remember PA as a commonwealth, always forget the others)

For alfa, obviously I'm no BU fan, nor do I have extensive knowledge of their campus, but I believe it's on campus since I remember seeing it from the train car on the T at the "Boston U Campus" stop last summer.
                              Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                              X