NMU Wildcats 2014-2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU Wildcats 2014-2015

The great thing about the Internet is that it gives one the ability to call someone out publicly while remaining hidden behind a screen name. Classy!

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
      The great thing about the Internet is that it gives one the ability to call someone out publicly while remaining hidden behind a screen name. Classy!
      My apologies. I've banned myself from this forum for posting that cowardly statement. I'm just fed up with the whole athletic and hockey program. All the best.

Comment

Originally posted by WildcatFan2013 View Post
        My apologies. I've banned myself from this forum for posting that cowardly statement. I'm just fed up with the whole athletic and hockey program. All the best.

Goodbye.

Comment

Originally posted by RapidsCity View Post
          So should the university fire anyone on staff who has strayed? Any member of faculty? Administration? Building & Grounds? Clerical? Food Seevice? Maybe they should not sell tickets to philandering fans. Maybe an all campus fornication ban! Love the rumor mongers!
          This ridiculous conflation is ridiculous.

Here's the thing sparky ... members of the faculty, janitors, dishwashers and secretaries ARE NOT high profile publicly known people who have part of their job representing the university. While I personally couldn't care if Walt Kyle was buggering some married bimbo behind his wife's back there are many many people at NMU who do. And trust me on this ... the whole "representing the university" bit is endemic at these institutions.

If Kyle keeps his job it'll be surprising.

Comment

This is probably something that the administration is overacting to. NMU administrators love to overreact to things. I'm pretty sure it comes in the job description: "Must have a good sense of humor and must totally overreact to everything."

My money is on him filing a FOIA request with the university.
            Thinking that NMU is way better then your school with no evidence or proof since 2001.

Comment

So, 1 win in the last 12 with 12 games remaining in the regular season (10 Wcha matchups). Those of you with a closer view of this team care to speculate on where this team is going given the unresolved coaching situation, etc.?

Tough to watch the 'Cats give up the leads like they did to Penn State. Could have had two Ws this weekend.
              NMU Hockey Since 1976 ...there at the beginning.

Bill Crawford, LSSU radio announcer, on NMU hockey: "This is their MO right to the tee: get out shot, get out played, keep hangin' in there, just rope-a-dope it in your own zone, get it up the ice, bang it in and win the game."

Comment

I think there was a touch of hometown score-keeping in those numbers. More than a few times Fred Pletsch said the shot was going wide and Dahlstrom got a piece of it, or when it rang off the iron, and you'd see the SOG tick higher. I'd estimate Penn State, at least Saturday night, to be closer to their average of 40-45 SOG.

Saturday easily could have been a win had Dahlstrom not gotten stepped on by a Penn State player.

Teams usually play different in front of other goaltenders, and to start, the team really kept the puck away from Doan. Late in the second, when both Doan and the team seemed to have a tick more confidence in each other, that seemed to be when PSU scored those two quick ones.

Friday, I can't say much about except looking at the box score and taking a wild a** guess (which would get DavyD to post immediately an anti-thesis of how my WAG was wrong. ) If I were to take a stab, I'd say the team was getting tired in keeping up with the late third period B1G track-meet game and tried to use a prevent-esque defense to hang on to a one goal game. I didn't see the Trap being used Saturday by the 'Cats, which would have been more effective (the B1G camera operators were AWFUL).

Can't say the 'Cats practice the trap though, since there is an extra 15' for opponents to drive through with no issue at the BEC.

What I did see though, were tired guys still hustling for the puck and no quit on this team. I really haven't seen it all year. Sure their offensive skills vanished from Thanksgiving until the New Year, but the 'Cats are starting to put the puck in the net.

This team can be summed up like this:
                Offense, Defense, Goaltending. Pick two only.
                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

per The North Wind:

Walt Kyle and Bridget Berube Carter have been taken off administrative leave. Can rejoin the team immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by NMU Fan View Post
                    per The North Wind:

Walt Kyle and Bridget Berube Carter have been taken off administrative leave. Can rejoin the team immediately.
                    Link: http://www.thenorthwindonline.com/ky...trative-leave/
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Well, that answers that.

I think I'm getting a headache thinking about this situation though. What a firestorm they were dragged through then told "All is well!"
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I may have this wrong, but from what I thought I heard after the game Saturday night, the Cats only got one point for the S.O. win because, and this is my assumption, that the WCHA does not have a shoot out rule. I know the Big Ten has a shoot out rule, so I again am assuming that had Penn St won the S.O., they would have garnered an additional point. My final assumption is that had either team scored in the overtime, that team would have received an extra point, while the other got one.
                        Since we had a point once overtime started, and the S.O. was an exercise in futility, why didn't we pull our goalie toward the end of overtime?
                        “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                        – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                        when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
                          I may have this wrong, but from what I thought I heard after the game Saturday night, the Cats only got one point for the S.O. win because, and this is my assumption, that the WCHA does not have a shoot out rule. I know the Big Ten has a shoot out rule, so I again am assuming that had Penn St won the S.O., they would have garnered an additional point. My final assumption is that had either team scored in the overtime, that team would have received an extra point, while the other got one.
                          Since we had a point once overtime started, and the S.O. was an exercise in futility, why didn't pull our goalie toward the end of overtime?
                          You are sort of right.

The rule is similar to the rule that was adopted by the CCHA when the Cats, and other teams, were still members.

In BIG10 conference games there are three points available in conference games only. If you win, you get 3 points. If you tie, and it goes to shootout, both teams get 1 point and the team with the SO win gets the extra point.

All other games follow the standard rule. There are 2 points available. You win, you get both. If you tie, and it goes to a SO, each team still takes home 1 point each. The SO is essentially meaningless. It is for the fans and for the "emotional" victory.

The NCHC also does shootouts. I am not sure how points would work if a BIG10 team played a NCHC team and it went to SO.
                          Go Cats!

Comment

All NCHC regular-season conference match-ups will feature a shootout should the game end in a tie at the conclusion of a five-minute overtime period and any game that uses a shootout will be officially recorded as a tie within the overall record of each team. The Pairwise ranking will be calculated knowing the game was officially recorded as a tie.

The shootout will start with three shooters for each team, but should the shootout be tied at the conclusion of the initial three shooters, a sudden-death round with one shooter from each team will go until a winner is declared. Goaltenders will not switch ends during the shootout.

Each conference game will also be worth three points. Three points will be awarded to any team that wins a game in regulation or within the five-minute sudden-death overtime period. One point will be awarded to each team in a game that remains tied at the conclusion of overtime period. One additional point will be awarded to the team who wins the shootout, giving that team two points total for winning the game in a shootout. A team that loses in regulation or during the five-minute overtime period will not get any points.

Nonconference games held in NCHC venues will also feature a shootout with mutual agreement from the visiting institutions. NCHC tournament games will not feature shootouts with the exception of the third-place game of the NCHC championship that will use a five-minute, sudden-death overtime followed by the shootout.

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2013/08/15/nchc...#ixzz3PxtxyYRh
                            Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by devildog View Post
                              Since we had a point once overtime started, and the S.O. was an exercise in futility, why didn't we pull our goalie toward the end of overtime?
                              Because points are only used in league play in college hockey, not in non-conference games.

Neither team got any "points" this weekend. A shootout in a non-league game is strictly for show and has no bearing on anything in the eyes of the NCAA. I'm sure Penn State wanted the practice for their shooters and goalie, and NMU said OK since it sounded fun.

Comment

I figured I was looking at the whole thing wrong. Thanks for clarifying.
                                “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                                – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                                when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Working...
                                X