Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NMU Wildcats 2014-2015

Originally posted by NMU Fan View Post
    So... Walt Kyle got placed on administrative leave along with Associate AD Bridget Berube Carter. Lehtinen and John Kyle will co-coach the Cats this weekend.
    Just saw that.... Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Story
    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
      Just saw that.... Whisky Tango Foxtrot

Story

Whisky Tango Foxtrot. Copy.
      "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/new...indefinite.php

Just saw this.

What gives?

Any significance here to the fact that he is male and the assistant A.D. involved is female, by any chance?

Did they get caught in the broom closet, or something? I readily admit I am throwing you-know-what at the wall here to see if something sticks.

Edit: I just got a look at a picture of 30ish blond blue-eyed Bridget Berube Carter which adds to the intrigue.
        Last edited by Red Cows; 01-21-2015, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Perhaps she supplied the team with under inflated pucks.
          "I find that the most trouble encountered with quotes on the internet is figuring out their authenticity"
          -Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Karr is such a saint... http://miningjournal.net/page/conten....html?nav=5075
            Go Cats!

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaCat View Post
              I think she overinflated Walt's puck.

Comment

Originally posted by FloridaCat View Post
                Tempted though I am, I am not touching this one with a 10 foot pole.

Comment

Announcing them simultaneously is, um, weird. Either you're implying extracurricular shenanigans or you're simply taking care of a matter that involves both of them. Either way it goes, it doesn't look very good on Karr, but then I know that there are some strong, negative opinions of Karr here on the USCHO Fan Forum (and probably elsewhere).

What a strange day for the kids. Hopefully this will come to resolution very quickly, no matter the outcome.

GFM
                  Geof F. Morris
                  UAH BSE MAE 2002
                  UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                    Announcing them simultaneously is, um, weird. Either you're implying extracurricular shenanigans or you're simply taking care of a matter that involves both of them. Either way it goes, it doesn't look very good on Karr, but then I know that there are some strong, negative opinions of Karr here on the USCHO Fan Forum (and probably elsewhere).

What a strange day for the kids. Hopefully this will come to resolution very quickly, no matter the outcome.

GFM
                    As long as they weren't riding on a scooter together I'm fine with it.

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post

GFM
                      I agree; announcing them simultaneously does cause a bit of intrigue, but knowing that Bridget is the compliance officer, Walt is the head coach, and Karr was the architect of the UAFiasco my first thought was "Oh Christ, which skater was academically ineligible?"

The biggest thing that irks me is how Karr handled it. Between the press release and his TV6 interview a few weeks back, he has the public speaking tact and grace of a leaky water cooler.

The NCAA is a fickle beast:
                      - Self report violations, self impose scholarship limits, suspend players = wins vacated and post season play suspended.
                      - Be a good moral guy and offer to replace a players wristwatch after it was stolen DURING a game = three game suspension for coach AND player.
                      - Hide years of rape = theatrics of vacating wins only to have it overturned less than a year later.

It could be anything from as stupid as giving a player tylenol after a game, a player claiming his grades were better than they were and no one verified it, a player spending too long at NHL prospect camp over the summer, an alumni of the school talking to a potential recruit, a harmless reply to a potential recruit e-mail, a still current student signing an item auctioned for the team to benefit from. Any of those fall under the NCAA's very grey rules.

If I was in Karr's position, I would try to spin it as "Due to the recent NCAA actions towards fellow WCHA member school UA_, both Kyle and Carter have been temporarily placed on Administrative Leave per the Athletic Department policy due to a pending audit of NMU's NCAA compliance records. This is to verify that the University has been meeting all NCAA requirements for player eligibility."

Either way, it doesn't look good, but Karr should have taken a little heat for this to deflect it from Walt.

*edit* I found an article where a female soccer coach out East was suspended for "personnel issues" and the University was tight lipped. http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...ry-5897122.php
                      Turns out, she gave her players medicine because they were starting to get the flu.
                      http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...rs-5919765.php
                      Last edited by aparch; 01-22-2015, 08:56 AM.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        I agree; announcing them simultaneously does cause a bit of intrigue, but knowing that Bridget is the compliance officer, Walt is the head coach, and Karr was the architect of the UAFiasco my first thought was "Oh Christ, which skater was academically ineligible?"

The biggest thing that irks me is how Karr handled it. Between the press release and his TV6 interview a few weeks back, he has the public speaking tact and grace of a leaky water cooler.

The NCAA is a fickle beast:
                        - Self report violations, self impose scholarship limits, suspend players = wins vacated and post season play suspended.
                        - Be a good moral guy and offer to replace a players wristwatch after it was stolen DURING a game = three game suspension for coach AND player.
                        - Hide years of rape = theatrics of vacating wins only to have it overturned less than a year later.

It could be anything from as stupid as giving a player tylenol after a game, a player claiming his grades were better than they were and no one verified it, a player spending too long at NHL prospect camp over the summer, an alumni of the school talking to a potential recruit, a harmless reply to a potential recruit e-mail, a still current student signing an item auctioned for the team to benefit from. Any of those fall under the NCAA's very grey rules.

If I was in Karr's position, I would try to spin it as "Due to the recent NCAA actions towards fellow WCHA member school UA_, both Kyle and Carter have been temporarily placed on Administrative Leave per the Athletic Department policy due to a pending audit of NMU's NCAA compliance records. This is to verify that the University has been meeting all NCAA requirements for player eligibility."

Either way, it doesn't look good, but Karr should have taken a little heat for this to deflect it from Walt.

*edit* I found an article where a female soccer coach out East was suspended for "personnel issues" and the University was tight lipped. http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...ry-5897122.php
                        Turns out, she gave her players medicine because they were starting to get the flu.
                        http://www.timesunion.com/sports/art...rs-5919765.php
                        Karr, the "architect" of the fiasco? Do you mean the same Karr that asked UAF for the funding for additional help in compliance, but was denied?
                        "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          Karr, the "architect" of the fiasco? Do you mean the same Karr that asked UAF for the funding for additional help in compliance, but was denied?
                          Yes. The very same Forest Karr that oversaw the hiring of Kristina Giddings "as the new associate athletic director for compliance at the University of Alaska Fairbanks." (Seems they found some budget money for him after all?)
                          http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_...cdd4c89e6.html

During which Giddings helped uncover the violations that had occurred.
                          http://www.newsminer.com/ncaa-to-inv...17c91f7b3.html
                          Last edited by aparch; 01-22-2015, 09:30 AM.
                          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            Some idle chatter during the mid-season break for the 'Cats. .
                            Wait, it's not idle.

Comment

Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan View Post
                              Wait, it's not idle.
                              Any truth to the rumor that Doc is applying for the position??

Comment

Extracurricular activities aren't NCAA violations. That being said, will be interesting to see how the "co-coach" system works this weekend seeing as Walt runs the show for everything on the bench. Maybe Arnie will be behind the bench in Happy Valley. ha.
                                Last edited by eye4talent; 01-22-2015, 11:32 AM.
                                "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Working...
                                X