NMU Wildcats 2014-2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by aparch View Post
    Agreed. With everything that took place since the start of December, injuries, sickness, things made public, things dragged into public, and things none of us will be made aware of, this team still was fighting for home ice on the final weekend.

I haven't been happy with the results, but this team (and Dave, correct me if I'm wrong) has never given up yet this season. There hasn't been quit that I've seen in any of these guys.

A lot of that has to do with Walt getting these guys ready.
    Not only have the Cats battled injuries in the second half of the season, they also had some tough opponents. Many of their series were against Nationally ranked opponents. The upset they pulled in sweeping BGSU on the road was my highlight of the season outside of watching them sweep Wisconsin in Green Bay in person.

Also, Doan has been getting a lot of experience and playing extremely well.
    Go Cats!

Comment

• Re: NMU Wildcats 2014-2015

Originally posted by noremorse1 View Post
      Not only have the Cats battled injuries in the second half of the season, they also had some tough opponents. Many of their series were against Nationally ranked opponents. The upset they pulled in sweeping BGSU on the road was my highlight of the season outside of watching them sweep Wisconsin in Green Bay in person.

Also, Doan has been getting a lot of experience and playing extremely well.
      That's the annual mantra of the Wildcat hockey program the last many years...excuses, excuses, excuses. Every team plays games, has injuries, tough opponents. Has it gotten this sad that we accept finishing 7th, ahead of Huntsville, Lake State and Anchorage? I ain't happy one **** bit.

Comment

Congratulations to Brock Maschmeyer, named to the all-WCHA Third Team.

Comment

• Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
          Congratulations to Brock Maschmeyer, named to the all-WCHA Third Team.
          He still has two years left, too.

Comment

Originally posted by WildcatFan2013 View Post
            That's the annual mantra of the Wildcat hockey program the last many years...excuses, excuses, excuses. Every team plays games, has injuries, tough opponents. Has it gotten this sad that we accept finishing 7th, ahead of Huntsville, Lake State and Anchorage? I ain't happy one **** bit.
            Another heart breaker. BGSU and Alabama Huntsville were on the verge of cutting their programs only a few years ago. That probably did not do wonders for recruiting. As happy as I am that those programs are still around, and doing well for their fans, why is it that Northern can't build momentum institutionally? For years now NMU has valiantly played up to their opponents, but frustratingly played down to them as well. I'm tired of excuses and misplaced optimism as well. Just get it done Walt. An upset in this series would cheer me up, slightly. Remember the projections of running roughshod in the WCHA? That should still be the standard of expectation long term in MQT.
            NMU '10

Comment

Originally posted by NMUFAN View Post
              He still has two years left, too.
              Unless he moves up and out!

Comment

• Originally posted by sisu458 View Post
                Another heart breaker. BGSU and Alabama Huntsville were on the verge of cutting their programs only a few years ago. That probably did not do wonders for recruiting. As happy as I am that those programs are still around, and doing well for their fans, why is it that Northern can't build momentum institutionally? For years now NMU has valiantly played up to their opponents, but frustratingly played down to them as well. I'm tired of excuses and misplaced optimism as well. Just get it done Walt. An upset in this series would cheer me up, slightly. Remember the projections of running roughshod in the WCHA? That should still be the standard of expectation long term in MQT.
                Who predicted "running roughshod" over the WCHA? I've never heard any such thing from any player, staff or anyone from any of the teams from the old CCHA, no players, no coaches, no one.
                Last edited by davyd83; 03-13-2015, 10:51 PM.
                "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Don't want to start the offseason thread quite yet...

Witnessed the season ending game at BGSU. Saw heart and hustle from kids who knew it was an elimination game. Still fought for the puck. Still tried to get short-handed opportunities.

Sure a couple guys lost their temper with five minutes to go. But at the end, both teams did the customary handshake and the two people who shared the biggest laugh and hugs during the handshakes were Seckel and Burke (who collided with each other in the final minute).

But back to the heart and hustle, there are minor professional teams vying for playoff spots that don't show as much care, hustle, and heart as those Cats did this weekend.

They may not have won, but I'm still proud to be a Wildcat.

Any issues I have are with those above the coaching staffs paygrade. Walt, John, and Rob had these guys ready. The PK has been especially fun to watch.
                  “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                    Don't want to start the offseason thread quite yet...

Witnessed the season ending game at BGSU. Saw heart and hustle from kids who knew it was an elimination game. Still fought for the puck. Still tried to get short-handed opportunities.

Sure a couple guys lost their temper with five minutes to go. But at the end, both teams did the customary handshake and the two people who shared the biggest laugh and hugs during the handshakes were Seckel and Burke (who collided with each other in the final minute).

But back to the heart and hustle, there are minor professional teams vying for playoff spots that don't show as much care, hustle, and heart as those Cats did this weekend.

They may not have won, but I'm still proud to be a Wildcat.

Any issues I have are with those above the coaching staffs paygrade. Walt, John, and Rob had these guys ready. The PK has been especially fun to watch.

What's the issue in Marquette? Isn't Carr a hockey guy? When are they going to get serious about being a D1 program? They need to get serious about recruiting. Is it a money issue?
                    "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                      Who predicted "running roughshod" over the WCHA? I've never heard any such thing from any player, staff or anyone from any of the teams from the old CCHA, no players, no coaches, no one.
                      I'd agree with you on the players, coaches, etc., but I think the fans of pretty much every fan base were thinking that. I don't know if any of the old threads are available, but I think with the exception of UAH, everyone posting on here was convinced that his/her team was going to be hoisting the Broadmoor in 2014, or 2015 at the latest. Everyone seemed to think, "We got the dregs of that other conference, plus teams from our own that we can beat! Here we go!"

Fortunately, the hockey turned out to be way better than we anticipated. If you're good, you can compete. If you aren't, you better step it up. Same as in the old conferences. And I think the schools are adjusting to that reality. Last year, our non-con record was terrible. This year, WCHA teams managed to win several games against old rivals and former WCHA and CCHA conference standard bearers. In spite of some teams' all-time greats graduating or turning pro early this spring, I think it's going to be an even better conference next year, at least as far as top-to-bottom. We may not have 3 in the top 9 Pairwise next year, but I'm betting that 4-10 in next year's WCHA will be even better than they were this year.

So the fans who still think they should be running roughshod over these misfits need to adjust their thinking. If you can't beat Michigan, there's no reason to think you should beat Michigan Tech. If you can't beat Minnesota, there's no reason to think you should beat Minnesota State. And so on...

Comment

Eye4talent: Karr said all the right things during his public interview, but hasn't acted upon that list.

Also said he was going to work with the community to strengthen relationships, again nothing.

As for financials, I'm not privy to them, but last I heard (prior to the WCHA move), the budget for recruiting, equipment, etc. was still at 2002 levels. And, businesses must donate to the athletic department as a whole, not to a particular sport. So any fundraising the hockey program does, they see a fraction of that in return.

Things might have changed since I last heard. I am eight hours removed from campus. But, as an "outsider" seeing the game Saturday night, the coach isn't the problem.
                        Last edited by aparch; 03-16-2015, 01:32 PM.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Eye4talent: Karr said all the right things during his public interview, but hasn't acted upon that list.

Also said he was going to work with the community to strengthen relationships, again nothing.

As for financials, I'm not privy to them, but last I heard (prior to the WCHA move), the budget for recruiting, equipment, etc. was still at 2002 levels. And, businesses must donate to the athletic department as a whole, not to a particular sport. So any fundraising the hockey program does, they see a fraction of that in return.

Things might have changed since I last heard. I am eight hours removed from campus. But, as an "outsider" seeing the game Saturday night, the coach isn't the problem.
                          They tried that trick at BG and almost blew their relationship with the likes of Rob Blake, et. al., when it came to donations to the program. Especially when said donors found out that they were lied to by being told that the donations would go to the program and, instead, they went into the general fund. All of this became public knowledge when they were threatening to shut down the program. Needless to say, the department changed their policy and we've slowly been rebuilding the relationships with those former players.

Comment

The Alumni need to speak up. Let yourself be heard. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Take it from a Tech fan, you don't want to end up like we did for 30 years.
                            "The top three worst things I've seen in hockey? The invention of the trap. The invention of the morning skate. And the invention of the extremely ugly uniform."

—Brett Hull

Comment

PurpleinNebraska,

You mention the feeling that you perceived that the fan bases of the old CCHA looked down on the WCHA. I believe that perception went both ways. I still see from a few old WCHA fans that they look down on the CCHA "dregs" as you used that term. Let's face it. You would like the old WCHA back and I would like the old CCHA back. But, we have the new WCHA so let's make the best of it. It appears that many of the programs have. With that said. Good luck to your team, except when playing BG.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockey John View Post
                                PurpleinNebraska,

You mention the feeling that you perceived that the fan bases of the old CCHA looked down on the WCHA. I believe that perception went both ways. I still see from a few old WCHA fans that they look down on the CCHA "dregs" as you used that term. Let's face it. You would like the old WCHA back and I would like the old CCHA back. But, we have the new WCHA so let's make the best of it. It appears that many of the programs have. With that said. Good luck to your team, except when playing BG.
                                Oh, I agree with you completely, and I'm sorry I didn't write my post better to make that clear. We thought we were gonna roll over everybody, BSU fans posting here thought they were going to win, UAA fans who post here thought that 2014 was going to be their year...9 of 10 fan bases posting here (again, exempting Huntsville) were convinced they'd have home ice in the playoffs in perpetuity. Part of that is likely just the perpetual "Wait 'Til Next Year!" attitudes of sports fans, but I think a lot of it was driven by the unrealistic expectations of fans thinking that their fortunes were going to suddenly improve because of the new conference.

I do think that, for most, those times have passed. I think everyone realizes that any road wins in this conference are well earned.

Comment

Working...
                                X