Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by gomavs#1 View Post
    Some indeed might say that. Those some would be wrong.
    http://www.nchchockey.com/page/show/1219043-nchc

3 fewer shutouts and half a goal given up more a game.
    I guess your defense is pretty bad then.

Comment

• Re: UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

Originally posted by SecretAgentMav View Post
      What an embarassing post for UNO fans. You make us look like whiners who show up to the rink defeated.
      To be honest, I saw nothing to fault the officials for.
      To you and the other posters above that think I am whining about the officiating, so be it. I stand by what I said and I meant it.

I DVR'ed Friday night's the game, and have watched it since. And, even Dave Ahlers and David Brisson complained about the officiating during the broadcast, and they, like me, didn't even see a penalty, much less a major, on the call against Polk in the 3rd. In fact, in slow motion, Polk doesn't even touch him, something that both Brisson and Ahlers point out. Can you say "dive"?

Todd Lacina is somebody UNO fans have been screaming at and about (me, included) since we were in the Civic, for crying out loud. Type "Derek Shepherd bad referee" into Google and knock yourself out reading all the results that search term returns. Here is classic example regarding Shepherd, and, this is about as respected a North Dakota fan as there is spouting off about him as well:

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2008/03/w...-it-again.html

The call against Polk had a manifest impact on the game. Period. And the call was a joke. Given who 2 of the 4 referees were on the ice, I am not surprised in the least.
      Last edited by Red Cows; 02-16-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

UNO moves on to the next "biggest series in program history" weekend since, as long as we stay in the conference race from week to week, that's what they'll all be from here on out.

A bit worried I am about this upcoming weekend. First, SCSU, a Frozen Four team last season, is very arguably the most underrated team in all of college hockey (19th in Pairwise but 14th in KRACH) and UNO has not fared well on Olympic Ice under Dean Blais, either, being sub-.500 (barely) although, obviously, those games have all been road games.

Oh well, whatever happens, we'll be there to see it. Me and Mrs. Red Cows will be in attendance at the National Hockey Center for both games this upcoming weekend at which time I probably need to buy SCSU Euro the beer I owe him, at some point. Only, it won't be at the arena, since they don't appear to serve alcohol there. What kind of hockey venue is that, for crying out loud?

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
          To you and the other posters above that think I am whining about the officiating, so be it. I stand by what I said and I meant it.

I DVR'ed Friday night's the game, and have watched it since. And, even Dave Ahlers and David Brisson complained about the officiating during the broadcast, and they, like me, didn't even see a penalty, much a major, on the call against Polk in the 3rd. In fact, in slow motion, Polk doesn't even touch him, something that both Brisson and Ahlers point out. Can you say "dive"?

Todd Lacina is somebody UNO fans have been screaming at and about (me, included) since we were in the Civic, for crying out loud. Type "Derek Shepherd bad referee" into Google and knock yourself out reading all the results that search term returns. Here is classic example regarding Shepherd, and, this is about as respected a North Dakota fan as there is spouting off about him as well:

http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2008/03/w...-it-again.html

The call against Polk had a manifest impact on the game. Period. And the call was a joke. Given who 2 of the 4 referees were on the ice, I am not surprised in the least.
          Here's a bad call http://ndgoon.blogspot.com/2015/02/n...wrong-one.html
          Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
          Eric's Twitter
          The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by Goon View Post
            Thanks for having my back on this and pointing out that this issue is hardly limited, either, to just Todd Lacina and Derek Shepherd.

I remember posting the following 3 years ago or so here: "I never thought anything would make me wish for CCHA officials, UNTIL I saw WCHA officiating".

As you clearly point out, NCHC officiating (a lot of which is old CCHA and WCHA officials) is nothing to write home about, either.

I get asked quite a bit about why I don't have an account at Mavpuck and post there.

Threads like this one is the best answer that I can give:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9825

Many of the fans at Mavpuck don't even understand what Pairwise is. Or think it is a great, important thing that UNO is ranked as highly as it is in the standings despite the complete and utter lack of relevance it has to anything, other than, perhaps, pride, which counts for nothing on selection day, either.

Or, that our fans here would somehow think a "Blackout Night" at a hockey game is a good idea despite the fact that the puck is black and that maybe, just maybe, our goalie might have a hard time picking up the puck on a black background:

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9812

UNO's "maybe something special" season is starting to bring some people out of the woodwork here in this forum that otherwise don't post here, or, rarely do, and, now are (look at the post counts). I find it pretty laughable when people are calling me out about complaining about the officiating when I have personally attended more 300 UNO games, home and away, including in every road venue UNO has played in all three of the conferences they have played in (all but the Alaska schools and two others) and have seen these two particular officials antics countless times. Like I was complaining just to complain or I didn't have at least some sort of reasonable basis for it or something.

Sheesh.

That said, I hope we continue to get some crossovers here from Mavpuck. The more the merrier. The bandwagon is far from full.
            Last edited by Red Cows; 02-16-2015, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Only, it won't be at the arena, since they don't appear to serve alcohol there. What kind of hockey venue is that, for crying out loud?
              SCSU is very much about dispelling the myth that kids who go to St. Cloud State drink alcohol. We got labeled as a party school and they wanna do everything they can to change that. Not the drinking, they're fine with that. They just don't want use to be KNOWN for it. When they make the announcement that alcohol is not permitted in the Herb Brooks National Hockey Center, the students chant "We're already drunk!"

Believe it or not, a few years ago we got rid of Homecoming. No, seriously. But who needs Homecoming when we've got Lemonade Days! http://www.stcloudstate.edu/campusin...de/default.asp
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                SCSU is very much about dispelling the myth that kids who go to St. Cloud State drink alcohol. We got labeled as a party school and they wanna do everything they can to change that. Not the drinking, they're fine with that. They just don't want use to be KNOWN for it. When they make the announcement that alcohol is not permitted in the Herb Brooks National Hockey Center, the students chant "We're already drunk!"

Believe it or not, a few years ago we got rid of Homecoming. No, seriously. But who needs Homecoming when we've got Lemonade Days! http://www.stcloudstate.edu/campusin...de/default.asp
                We're almost for sure going to take you up on your MC's Dugout suggestion on Saturday night, pregame.

We aren't gonna get killed on the shuttle, are we?

I would guess we'll be easy to spot at MC's. I can't imagine a ton of UNO gear will be in evidence although I doubt we'll stand out like sore thumbs in St. Cloud given the school's respective colors, like we have in, say, the Duluth Curling Club, in that sea of gold.
                Last edited by Red Cows; 02-17-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

We aren't gonna get killed on the shuttle, are we?
                  If we let UND fans and NSSHG and Biddco and a bunch of UMD fans live, you'll be fine.
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                    I'm a huge fan of Move-In Weekend where you are ok to drink while underage as long as you don't happen to wander out on to the sidewalk with an open container
                    UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

REDOUT in St. Cloud on Friday, so if you want to stick out like a sore thumb, wear your black UNO gear
                      UNO Maverick fan and Gopher hater, stuck in Husky country...

Comment

Originally posted by mcfarljd View Post
                        http://www.nchchockey.com/page/show/1219043-nchc

3 fewer shutouts and half a goal given up more a game.
                        I guess your defense is pretty bad then.
                        Just messing with you, but you are correct. Massa is the reason we are in the hunt for the NCHC title. Our defense struggles badly at times. I'm not a huge fan of shutout stats (for example, UNO had a shutout until the final minute last weekend...goalie is pulled and WMU scores. Might not go down as a shutout, but he dominated the game).
                        Massa has the highest save percentage. I think the argument could be made those are the two best in the league for sure.
                        If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

UNO's "maybe something special" season is starting to bring some people out of the woodwork here in this forum that otherwise don't post here, or, rarely do, and, now are (look at the post counts). I find it pretty laughable when people are calling me out about complaining about the officiating when I have personally attended more 300 UNO games, home and away, including in every road venue UNO has played in all three of the conferences they have played in (all but the Alaska schools and two others) and have seen these two particular officials antics countless times. Like I was complaining just to complain or I didn't have at least some sort of reasonable basis for it or something.

Sheesh.

That said, I hope we continue to get some crossovers here from Mavpuck. The more the merrier. The bandwagon is far from full.
                          Not sure who you are referring to there. I've had season tickets since the first drop of the puck in the Civic. Usually stay away from this site because out of the 10 die-hard UNO hockey fans that exist, 2 or 3 of them can be found here.

You can stand by the bad officiating excuse all you want, UNO simply was outworked and outplayed in that game. Pure and simple. I know that Blais will be saying those exact words this evening at the radio show. I have no idea what game you were watching, but UNO was physically manhandled and nearly all of the players were just fine with laying down. We can't play like that and expect to win anything, let alone get a berth to the NCAAs.

We better show up both games this weekend. Points are at a premium the rest of the way out.
                          If we could extend Blais' contract, that'd be greeeaaatttt

Comment

I DVR'ed Friday night's the game, and have watched it since. And, even Dave Ahlers and David Brisson complained about the officiating during the broadcast, and they, like me, didn't even see a penalty, much less a major, on the call against Polk in the 3rd. In fact, in slow motion, Polk doesn't even touch him, something that both Brisson and Ahlers point out. Can you say "dive"?

My experience about all home announced games, they usually slant their comments favoring the home team. Brisson and Ahlers also struggled through out the night with play-by-play calls, as they repeated couldn't even get the numbers/names of the players right of the WMU players on the ice. Or perhaps they just couldn't see through all the low hanging clouds at the top of UNO rink, just below the UNO press box.

Red Cow, I too just watched a replay of Polks hit and you can clearly see his impact and contact to the head. Hate to burst your bubble, but the refs got that call correct

Now if you want to start talk about dives, how about Messnar embleshment on Hargrove's hook with under 2 minutes in the game, that resulted in a 6-4 power play goal to bring the Mavs with in 1? Being a equal opportunity/fair minded "ref bashing" fan, I'm surprised you not were all over this missed call......
                            Last edited by BroncoFever; 02-17-2015, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Dave Ahlers
                              Well, there's your problem. A clueless broadcaster who has consistently *****ed about officials.

Comment

Todd Lacina is somebody UNO fans have been screaming at and about (me, included) since we were in the Civic, for crying out loud.
                                Familiarity breeds contempt. I'm not even sure what your complaint about Lacina is from Friday night.

Comment

Working...
                                X