Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    Wait. What?

We beat the new #1 team in the country this past Friday night (O.K., it was a shootout win) in THEIR building and then lose another close, hotly contested game the next night 3-2 (that was on national television) and we fall a spot in the USCHO poll?

O.K., I know the polls are steaming pile of dog dung, anyway, but, that ain't right.

In the "poll" that does matter, though--Pairwise--which is getting more relevant each weekend, now, UNO did move up from # 4 to #3 this week.

I saw both these games and I bet even North Dakota fans don't think they are 11 spots in the poll better than UNO has been so far. I sure don't. I think they were glad to see us get on the bus and leave.

I see where Buccigross has UNO at 7 (and UND at 3) and I think that a tad more representative:

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/statu...10910814289920
    Yeah, well St. Cloud's not ranked, and if you can name 20 better teams, I'd like to see that list.
    tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

My weekly poll: http://q30television.com/2014/12/01/...ey-poll-12114/
      Quinnipiac University '15
      ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
      ECAC Championship: 2016
      NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
      NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
      Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
        When does Denver make your poll?
        GO DU !!!

Comment

Wait. What?

We beat the new #1 team in the country this past Friday night (O.K., it was a shootout win) in THEIR building and then lose another close, hotly contested game the next night 3-2 (that was on national television) and we fall a spot in the USCHO poll?

O.K., I know the polls are steaming pile of dog dung, anyway, but, that ain't right.

In the "poll" that does matter, though--Pairwise--which is getting more relevant each weekend, now, UNO did move up from # 4 to #3 this week.

I saw both these games and I bet even North Dakota fans don't think they are 11 spots in the poll better than UNO has been so far. I sure don't. I think they were glad to see us get on the bus and leave.

I see where Buccigross has UNO at 7 (and UND at 3) and I think that a tad more representative:

https://twitter.com/Buccigross/statu...10910814289920
          You do this every year. Complain about how UNO gets no respect and it is usually quickly followed by a weekend where they get swept and give up 10+ goals. Which team ahead of them in the polls is UNO better than? Because looking at the records and results, I don't see one.
          Originally posted by SJHovey
          Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
          Originally posted by Brenthoven
          We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
            You do this every year. Complain about how UNO gets no respect and it is usually quickly followed by a weekend where they get swept and give up 10+ goals. Which team ahead of them in the polls is UNO better than? Because looking at the records and results, I don't see one.
            I don't see UNO as a top 10 team. Split against Miami, sweep St Cloud CC and Huntsville and win 75% of the rest of our games and we'll see. Too many freshmen. Move into a new arena and have another reason to win + have 11 sophmores who will have learned from this years big mistakes and next year I think will be big.
            UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

Oh, for Chrissakes.

Show me where and when I have been championing the UNO cause in anything other than the most guarded terms this season given the fact that we have 11 freaking freshman on this team!?!?

And, in the FWIW category, UNO has given up 10 or more goals exactly once, ever, on 2-27-98, against Maine in Orono. By the way, after they beat us that night, the Mavs won the next night 4-3.

I'm not clamoring for anything at this point. I'm not altogether sure what we have here, either. I'm staking no claims after we got voted 6th in the NCHC media poll, pre-season.

Let's talk in the first week of January.

Barring defections, I do believe we are a title contender next season, I'll go that far out on the limb, based on the recruiting class that I know about for next season, now.

It's getting pretty apparent that we don't suck this season, either, with each successive weekend.

On Tuesday night, during Coach Blais weekly radio show here in Omaha, he mentioned something that I did not really know.

All of UNO's freshmen were captains of whatever teams they came here from and while he was talking about this, I got the impression that they are exceeding his wildest expectations. Coming from him,that statement has a lot of credibility.

Comment

Oh, for Chrissakes.

Show me where and when I have been championing the UNO cause in anything other than the most guarded terms this season given the fact that we have 11 freaking freshman on this team!?!?
                Uh, how about the post I just quoted above where you complain about them dropping a spot in the poll? They had a tie and a loss on the weekend. Sure it was against the number two team, but the team that jumped them in the polls won at the #1 team and at the #4 team and only has 1 loss on the season. So I think Harvard should be ahead of UNO

And, in the FWIW category, UNO has given up 10 or more goals exactly once, ever, on 2-27-98, against Maine in Orono. By the way, after they beat us that night, the Mavs won the next night 4-3.
                Also in the FWIW category, is the fact that I said "a weekend...where they give up 10 goals." Not a single game.
                Originally posted by SJHovey
                Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
                Originally posted by Brenthoven
                We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

Uh, how about the post I just quoted above where you complain about them dropping a spot in the poll? They had a tie and a loss on the weekend. Sure it was against the number two team, but the team that jumped them in the polls won at the #1 team and at the #4 team and only has 1 loss on the season. So I think Harvard should be ahead of UNO

Also in the FWIW category, is the fact that I said "a weekend...where they give up 10 goals." Not a single game.
                  And, then, we promptly go out an darn near give up 10 goals.

Sorry I misread your post.

Comment

Let's Go Redskins!

Comment

UNO remains # 12 in this week's USCHO (meaningless) poll. UNO's four losses are against the #1, #3, #6, and #9 teams in that poll, ALL of whom UNO has a win against, as well, and 3 of those 4 wins are on the road, too.

In the getting-more-relevant-by-the-minute Pairwise, UNO is currently 3rd and has a win against BOTH teams ahead of them in Pairwise.

This past Friday night, the Mavs finally had one of those "freshmen games" I feared there'd be some of this season and got smoked. Nice how that the bounced back the next night after getting stomped.

On Dean Blais weekly radio show last week, he mentioned how all our freshmen were captains on whatever team they came here from and that they collectively "don't like to lose" and they have, by and large, played on winning teams.

Upcoming is a weekend where UNO could really use a sweep but in which a split would be an "acceptable" outcome.

Comment

We got our sweep.

UNO and Boston College continue to have the biggest disparity in their poll positions and their Pairwise ranking (10 places).

The BIG difference, though, is BC is 25th in Pairwise while being ranked 15th in the USCHO poll and UNO is 2nd in Pairwise and is ranked 12th in the USCHO poll.

Needless to say, UNO's disparity between its Pairwise ranking and its USCHO poll ranking as it relates to undervaluing them is by far the largest of any team in the poll (and is, now, for the 3rd week in a row).

This, despite UNO having played the 2nd toughest schedule in all of college hockey, having stuck a loss on the only team ahead of them in Pairwise, having splits with three teams ahead of them in the USCHO rankings (all of whom are behind UNO in Pairwise) and 2 of those 3 series were on the road. Plus UNO has a road sweep against a "lurker" team in Cornell, who is currently ranked 22nd in Pairwise, and just completed a home sweep of St Cloud State, who is still ranked 24th in Pairwise after that happened.

I don't know necessarily where we should be ranked, but, it ought to be higher than 12th.

Happily, it doesn't matter. The Mavs are currently 2nd in the ONLY ranking that counts.

There is a thread over at Mavpuck on the whole "poll topic"

Best quote from the thread:

LOL, GTFO USCHO...stop ranking teams by name and start ranking them by what they are doing on the ice this year."
                        Anything less than a sweep this weekend is an utter fail.
                        Last edited by Red Cows; 12-22-2014, 12:28 AM.

Comment

1 first place vote. I'll take it.
                          http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ra...ortId/13031100
                          UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

IMO nothing wrong with the ranking. I think that's because right now the top 14 all seem pretty even to me in how they've played. I would maybe move them to 11th over Denver except as mentioned below they just beat UND which Omaha couldn't do.

Lost and Tied to North Dakota (shoot-out is only a league stat). There only bad blemish is Bemijdi. 5-3-1 vs. ranked.
                            Split with Miami. Miami exposed us Friday, good bounce back Saturday. Split with BG, ND UMD also swept OSU by similar scores.
                            Split with Duluth. They swept SCSU, split MSU (same as us), split MTU, has won 2 of 3 of Minny.
                            Denver. Split UND (which was more than us), split BC. Argument could be made they are lower but they beat UND two weeks after we couldn't.
                            No other team above us, not in our conference has more losses.
                            I do think Minnesota State is too high after losing to Alaska but not low enough to drop behind Omaha.

We have a similar resume, not better. It would only be better if you consider Omaha beating UMD to be more important then UMD beating Omaha. That's more stock in names, not the case play wise. IMO pairwise at this point is great, but we also haven't done anything more special than teams with similar schedules IMO. Yes we've exceeded expectations, but we haven't done more than anyone ahead of us we've done about the same. We also are waiting on good teams like Denver to play their way through half the conference while we've played everyone except them and CC.
                            Last edited by SilversSports; 12-15-2014, 08:58 PM.
                            University of Wisconsin - River Falls Men's and Women's Hockey Broadcaster 2007-2012
                            University of Nebraska at Omaha Intermission/Post Game Host and Statistician 2012-2014
                            https://twitter.com/SilversSports

Comment

So with Miller leaving UMD, a new arena being built I'd say the time is right for ole buffet to donate a substantial sum to start a women's hockey team at UNO.
                              University of Wisconsin - River Falls Men's and Women's Hockey Broadcaster 2007-2012
                              University of Nebraska at Omaha Intermission/Post Game Host and Statistician 2012-2014
                              https://twitter.com/SilversSports

Comment

Originally posted by SilversSports View Post
                                So with Miller leaving UMD, a new arena being built I'd say the time is right for ole buffet to donate a substantial sum to start a women's hockey team at UNO.
                                I think that is how Nebraska deals with the Title IX ramifications of starting a men's program there.

Comment

Working...
                                X