PDA

View Full Version : UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16

vizoroo
04-04-2015, 09:58 PM
Sure you have seen this. But did think of RedCows when I saw it.
http://www.scrippsmedia.com/kmtv/news/A-UNO-Hockey-love-affair-298537561.html

Red Cows
04-04-2015, 11:37 PM
Sure you have seen this. But did think of RedCows when I saw it.
http://www.scrippsmedia.com/kmtv/news/A-UNO-Hockey-love-affair-298537561.html

It's very interesting you saw this and posted it here.

I have had UNO season tickets for 10 seasons (not contiguous, I might add). I have attended something like 250 UNO hockey games, home, road, and postseason. I don't know the EXACT number, I've never counted. I have every single ticket stub, though, so, this IS a question with an answer.

So, I have had numerous opportunities to have perhaps have met or even so much as seen Bridget Weide Brooks or her husband Jon at a game, you would think, at some point or another in all that time.

Amazingly, I have never laid eyes on either of them at a UNO game that I know of, ever, in all that time. My assumption is that they don't sit anywhere near us. I didn't really become of aware of who they are until 2009 or 2010 or so, though, either. FYI, I am not a member of UNO's Blue Line Club, either.

That is, until this past weekend in South Bend. We ran into them immediately after entering the arena for the championship game against RIT. She was overseeing the taking of these photos with a variety of individuals, including UNO's Chancellor here:

https://twitter.com/UNOmaha/status/582313453215461376

We were standing right next to her when she shot this photo. At least, I am pretty sure it is her photo. She was taking them at the same time time as others present taking pictures and this particular picture appears on Mavpuck and, based on where we were standing, in relationship to the Chancellor posing for this and where she was, I am pretty sure she took it.

I introduced myself to her and told her I knew who she was and made bit of small talk and that was it, we made our way to our seats.

Postgame, we ran into her, and her husband, too, again. I don't remember the exact sequence of what was said, but, I told her that I was surprised that it had taken so long for UNO hockey to get this juncture, as a program. To my surprise, she told us that they were surprised it had happened this soon!

That was the extent of our interaction.

Jon and Bridget are the patriarchs of UNO hockey. I consider myself a big UNO fan. I'm not even in the same league with them. They have attended every home game in the history of the program. They are the owners and operators of www.mavpuck.com They are as important to UNO hockey as, say, somebody like Fighting Sioux 23 is to this forum (with apologies to several others that are breathing down his neck on this account--my guess is that most of you know who you are).

Interesting too, is that in the 4 years I have had "stewardship" of the UNO season threads here at USCHO, that, while there are a few people that are crossovers here from Mavpuck, I have NEVER seen anything from our USCHO UNO thread ever cited at at mavpuck.com and, if Bridget is a member here, or her husband, they don't have the same usernames they do at Mavpuck.

For the record, I don't have an account at nor do I post at Mavpuck, myself.

Blackheart
04-05-2015, 12:49 AM
My personal preference would be to play every game to completion--as many overtimes as it takes. That a shootout is a tie is an NCAA thing, not an NCHC thing. Tie or not, you lose the shootout, you certainly don't get the same number of points. I personally consider a shootout loss a loss. You can disagree with me if you wish, but this is just my personal opinion of how it ought to be. The game you are referring to, by the way, was the difference, at the time it occurred, between ND and UNO in the standings. Hardly an insignificant thing. I think Pairwise should be weighted somehow to account for shootouts, but, I confess I have not given a lot of thought as to how this could be done and I also think that if such a thing were done it might make it necessary that every conference would then HAVE to use it depending on how that might be done. Having a set of conference rules that have a differing set of conference ramifications as opposed to the what the Pairwise ramifications are, seems pretty silly to me. I mean, why even have a shootout? The two are incongruous with one another.

So, we currently have a situation where shootouts matter in the conference standings but do not in Pairwise. Where is the logic in that? What purpose, exactly, does this serve? My bringing this up isn't so much that this is some sort of badge of honor that UNO won a shootout in Grand Forks, its part of a larger philosophical issue where I am concerned. I consider it a W. We won the shootout and got 2 points and North Dakota got 1. That it is a tie as far the NCAA is concerned is another issue, entirely.

FWIW, I hate shootouts, and I wish this didn't even merit discourse and was moot. But, it isn't. If it was up to me, shootouts would disappear, or be given the same weight as any other win or loss. That's the only way I'd be in favor of keeping them.Shootouts are a gimmick and need to go away...nothing wrong with a tie.

Fighting Sioux 23
04-05-2015, 03:43 AM
The game you are referring to, by the way, was the difference, at the time it occurred, between ND and UNO in the standings. Hardly an insignificant thing.

It was the 7th conference game of the season for North Dakota. In terms of significance, the one point at the time ranked pretty low and ultimately was completely insignificant for UND.

If you want to treat a SO win as an actual win, good for you. In the end, North Dakota won the season series 7 points to 5. Hopefully, they meet up again on Saturday.

Red Cows
04-05-2015, 11:20 AM
It was the 7th conference game of the season for North Dakota. In terms of significance, the one point at the time ranked pretty low and ultimately was completely insignificant for UND.

If you want to treat a SO win as an actual win, good for you. In the end, North Dakota won the season series 7 points to 5. Hopefully, they meet up again on Saturday.

I was just talking about in the context of when and in which it occurred. I made essentially the same argument about this shootout at that time, Obviously, the point is moot, now.

I'd like to see a ND & UNO final, too, obviously, but the team itself need to be fixated on playing and beating Providence, first, just like ND needs to do the same as it regards BU.

It's kind of a weird thing for me. I want us to win Thursday, obviously, but I certainly had no expectation (this season; next season was and is another matter to me) of really being in this spot and I can't see myself being all that disappointed even if we don't prevail Thursday. I can sit and watch this game in a somewhat relaxed state. If we get bounced, we had a great season. If we win, well, we've had an even greater one. You know?

Good (puck) luck to you guys on Thursday night.

vizoroo
04-05-2015, 05:49 PM
Cheering for Red Mavs to grab their First NCAA Championship!

(no way I can cheer for an eighth for the sioux)

Red Cows
04-06-2015, 01:51 AM
This is entertaining beyond words:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/20507-hak-vs-blais/

Better still is my getting flamed in this thread, besides.

I have to give North Dakota fans their due, they love their team and their program, despite a few of them that wear blinders.

Red Cows
04-07-2015, 12:03 AM
If you are a UNO fan, you have to be pleased and, perhaps, a tad befuddled around here right now.

The hockey program certainly gets and has gotten some local media attention, year-to-year. Probably not a much as it has deserved since Coach Blais arrived here but, it is a cluttered landscape with all things Huskers as well as Creighton basketball, besides the Omaha Storm Chasers winning 4 division titles in a row along with back to back Triple A national championships.

Now, for ten days or so, UNO hockey coverage is rivaling that of Husker football around here, and the Huskers are playing their spring game on Saturday! On every television station, all 4 of whom are sending crews to Boston for the Frozen Four after only one of them truly having a crew in South Bend (KETV, the ABC affiliate here) UNO Hockey is now the toast of the town. I'm not sure they got this level of exposure when the program was new, even, in the fall of '97.

I am appreciative of all the attention the program is deservedly getting at the moment. But, I utterly disdain those that want to reap the rewards of victory, without having had the willingness or fortitude to face the hardships of defeat and disappointment, of which there has been plenty, over the past 18 seasons.

The school is even guilty of this, to some degree.

In South Bend: No band. No mascot. No cheerleaders. No organized fan event or gathering of people that made the trip.

Now, ALL of these things are happening in Boston? It's like, everybody, even the school, itself, that fancies itself a hockey school to the point of ridding itself of football and wrestling to emphasize this (financially) and building its own hockey arena, just discovered this team along with the news media here as well as casual hockey fan.

I find this very confounding. Better late than never, I guess.

Blackheart
04-07-2015, 02:15 AM
This is entertaining beyond words:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/topic/20507-hak-vs-blais/

Better still is my getting flamed in this thread, besides.

I have to give North Dakota fans their due, they love their team and their program, despite a few of them that wear blinders. Dude, I hate to disappoint you but nobody on SiouxSports cares what you say...

Red Cows
04-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Twitter war going on between UNO fans and North Dakota fans @unomavmania @siouxblog today

A sampling:

https://twitter.com/siouxblog/status/585228332343529472

And then, UNO fan, there is this:

https://twitter.com/RedArmyUNO/status/585613341026086912

Blackheart
04-08-2015, 12:49 AM
Twitter war going on between UNO fans and North Dakota fans @unomavmania @siouxblog today

A sampling:

https://twitter.com/siouxblog/status/585228332343529472

And then, UNO fan, there is this:

https://twitter.com/RedArmyUNO/status/585613341026086912

Yeah, sorry, I'm not a twatter so I don't know/care what's going on there...

willythekid
04-08-2015, 06:17 AM
I love how some uno fans count their coach's national titles almost as their own... forget the fact that he won them with UND. I've seen several omaha fans argue this on the twitterverse. You can not make this up.:D:p

Red Cows
04-09-2015, 08:19 PM
We. Did. Not. Belong.

I'm O.K. with it. I had zero expectation of ever being in this game in the first place and I am on record as saying that we'd have nights this season where the experience level of our team would show up and bite us in the *ss and, unfortunately, one of those nights just happened to be in the National Semi-Final. We got schooled. We had the momentum in this game for exactly 24 seconds.

If we'd lost this game next season, or, the season after that, then, maybe would I be dismayed.

Ryan Massa showed everyone why he should have been a Hobey Finalist tonight. His omission from the finalist list was an utter farce. Without him we don't even sniff the NCAA tourney this season or 3rd place in the NCHC.

Onward and upwards to next season where I have real expectations.

gomavs#1
04-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Clearly looked like we did not belong and looked like we were just happy to be there. Would have loved to be in the national title game - would be a lot easier to swallow. But we do get to hang a regional championship banner in the new arena, along with a Frozen Four appearance to the resume.

Providence outplayed us in every sense of the word. Good luck to the Friars in the title game.

Hope Massa gets a chance at the next level. That game should have been 7-1 at least.

5thYearFreshman
04-10-2015, 08:54 AM
I am not going to say that UNO didn't belong as they earned their spot, same as everyone else. Providence presented an extremely tough match up for UNO because they are big, physical and move the puck really well. UNO has historically struggled with teams that have the speed and size to suffocate their racehorse hockey style.

You see it in other sports all of the time. Teams with speed and teams with size struggle against teams with both. UNO should be able to build on this and will hopefully make a tourney appearance next year. A year in the weight room, coupled with the experiences of this tourney, will do them good from a physical and a mental aspect. For at least the next few years, this team has the ability to play against the top teams in the country and win. They just couldn't get anything going. As Coach Blais said, it was more about what Providence did right than what UNO did wrong. Maybe the game is different if they don't give up the 3rd goal immediately after pulling within one, but that is hockey.

Props to Providence for taking it to the Mavs.

Credit to Massa for keeping them in a game that was nowhere close to what the score showed.

I refuse to fall back on the "young team" argument as Boston U is playing for the title tomorrow night and they are the youngest team in the country. I will be rooting for Providence to win their first title tomorrow night.

Red Cows
04-10-2015, 10:44 PM
Was just looking at the Hobey Baker awardee story and the list of the past recipients and finalists and just came to the realization that UNO has had a finalist 4 out of the last 9 seasons.

And SHOULD have had one this season, too.

A certain somebody's new all time single season program record for goals against average as well as save percentage, both of which he utterly smashed, are going to stand for a long time, I bet.

purpleinnebraska
04-11-2015, 10:28 AM
Congrats on a great season, and best of luck in all but 2 of your games next year (assuming you're headed to Kato in the fall)! But a question I had while watching the Frozen 4, and I don't mean this to sound snarky - Am I supposed to call your school Omaha now? I heard and saw the school frequently referred to as Omaha, and that's something I've really never heard before in over 20 years of living in Nebraska. As a fan of Please Stop Calling Us Mankato State, I'll gladly go along if you intend to change it, but that's the weird part. I've never heard any announcements, news stories, etc., saying that the school wanted to emphasize the Omaha part over the Nebraska part. Admittedly, news travels slowly to this part of the state, but I thought I'd have heard something by now.

billmich88888
04-11-2015, 11:07 AM
Clearly looked like we did not belong and looked like we were just happy to be there. Would have loved to be in the national title game - would be a lot easier to swallow. But we do get to hang a regional championship banner in the new arena, along with a Frozen Four appearance to the resume.

Providence outplayed us in every sense of the word. Good luck to the Friars in the title game.

Hope Massa gets a chance at the next level. That game should have been 7-1 at least.

Agree 100%, they played like deer in the headlight.... 'newbies'

With Blais as the coach you will be back, maybe with better results.

Red Cows
04-11-2015, 12:32 PM
Congrats on a great season, and best of luck in all but 2 of your games next year (assuming you're headed to Kato in the fall)! But a question I had while watching the Frozen 4, and I don't mean this to sound snarky - Am I supposed to call your school Omaha now? I heard and saw the school frequently referred to as Omaha, and that's something I've really never heard before in over 20 years of living in Nebraska. As a fan of Please Stop Calling Us Mankato State, I'll gladly go along if you intend to change it, but that's the weird part. I've never heard any announcements, news stories, etc., saying that the school wanted to emphasize the Omaha part over the Nebraska part. Admittedly, news travels slowly to this part of the state, but I thought I'd have heard something by now.

I've addressed this before, but, this is a complete contrivance by the UNO Athletic Department, one that is very unwelcome to the fans, if they ever DARED to ask us what we think about it. I don't own any "Omaha" gear and I would not buy or wear any at gunpoint. That is not the name of the school. The school does not call itself "Omaha" (look at their web site), our fans do not call us "Omaha", the news media here does not call us "Omaha", and you will NEVER hear UNO fan ever chanting at "Omaha" at a game, ever. The whole thing is complete and utter BS.

The Athletic Department has given press releases to various news organization asking that we be referred to as "Omaha" with very mixed results. You can see announcers trying to make the effort but, inevitably, they keep referring to us by our actual name! Imagine that! Take a look at this and see how bastardized this whole thing has become as result of this stupidity:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/national-polls/

"The University of Omaha, Nebraska"?

Whoever came up with this nonsense down there at UNO needs to lose their job.

This is all about trying to distance themselves from the Huskers and establish a brand. Except, we already had/have one. You just denigrate yourself by reacting to this in the way that they have by even acknowledging them in this fashion and overreacting to it to the degree that they did something that is nearly universally rejected by the fans and everyone, else, too.

Just as in the justice system, it isn't a good law if, when enacted, nobody pays a bit of attention to it or complies with it.

Your will never see me refer to us as Omaha here in this forum. I have never spoken to a single fan of ours, EVER, that has ever done so to me in conversation, either.

Lion's share of gear in our building does not say Omaha on it. UNO or Mavericks. I am fine with the O logo, but not the name. In fact, It's my hope that they call our new arena the "Orena". I kinda like that.

Personally, on some level, I feel for the North Dakota fans that feel they had their team's name hijacked by others. In this case, we have recourse. It's called non-compliance. The UNO Athletic Department can stick their inferiority complex. The fans don't have one and neither should they.

U-N-O!

purpleinnebraska
04-11-2015, 02:25 PM
I've addressed this before, but, this is a complete contrivance by the UNO Athletic Department, one that is very unwelcome to the fans, if they ever DARED to ask us what we think about it. I don't own any "Omaha" gear and I would not buy or wear any at gunpoint. That is not the name of the school. The school does not call itself "Omaha" (look at their web site), our fans do not call us "Omaha", the news media here does not call us "Omaha", and you will NEVER hear UNO fan ever chanting at "Omaha" at a game, ever. The whole thing is complete and utter BS.

The Athletic Department has given press releases to various news organization asking that we be referred to as "Omaha" with very mixed results. You can see announcers trying to make the effort but, inevitably, they keep referring to us by our actual name! Imagine that! Take a look at this and see how bastardized this whole thing has become as result of this stupidity:

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/national-polls/

"The University of Omaha, Nebraska"?

Whoever came up with this nonsense down there at UNO needs to lose their job.

This is all about trying to distance themselves from the Huskers and establish a brand. Except, we already had/have one. You just denigrate yourself by reacting to this in the way that they have by even acknowledging them in this fashion and overreacting to it to the degree that they did something that is nearly universally rejected by the fans and everyone, else, too.

Just as in the justice system, it isn't a good law if, when enacted, nobody pays a bit of attention to it or complies with it.

Your will never see me refer to us as Omaha here in this forum. I have never spoken to a single fan of ours, EVER, that has ever done so to me in conversation, either.

Lion's share of gear in our building does not say Omaha on it. UNO or Mavericks. I am fine with the O logo, but not the name. In fact, It's my hope that they call our new arena the "Orena". I kinda like that.

Personally, on some level, I feel for the North Dakota fans that feel they had their team's name hijacked by others. In this case, we have recourse. It's called non-compliance. The UNO Athletic Department can stick their inferiority complex. The fans don't have one and neither should they.

U-N-O!

Thanks for the info. All I can say is that if it's an effort at rebranding, it hasn't even made it 90 miles up the road. For everyone I know, and that includes alumni and parents of current students, it's UNO