PDA

View Full Version : UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16

Red Cows
03-09-2015, 04:49 PM
[QUOTE=Red Cows;6118445]

If they go to Minneapolis, nothing that happens there is knocking them out, not even losing to CC or Western in the semi (and I have not yet looked at the brackets), a seemingly unlikely scenario, to say the least but, who knows in this league?

[QUOTE]

Don't forget that there is a 3rd place game in Minneapolis so UNO could potentially lose 2 games in Minneapolis, although I believe UNO makes the tournament regardless of any outcome in the next 2 weeks. The 3rd place game was the saving grace for North Dakota last year as they needed the win(and Wisconsin and UMass-Lowell to win) against WMU to make the tournament.

Thanks for reminding me of that, because I did forget.

Hope you are right about the next 2 weeks. The only thing that could potentially have outside looking in is a 2 game sweep at the hands of SCSU and hopefully are right that it would not matter.

I wonder when we are going to see calculators?

vizoroo
03-09-2015, 05:27 PM
If you hate the polls and are glad that we at least have Pairwise (KRACH, where are you?) then UNO fan should be doubly glad today.

I find it amusing that DU is ahead of us in the poll, despite finishing behind us in the NCHC standings. And, let's not forget that we swept DU this season, too, to say nothing of the fact that we are also ahead of them in Pairwise.

Other than that, apparently, the voters think they are the better team. Maybe they are, but, on paper they aren't. To each his own, I guess.

Of course, I have just set in motion DU winning the NCHC tourney again by even bringing this up. :D

Thank you.-thank you. RedCows. we♥appreciate it:D

Red Cows
03-09-2015, 08:43 PM
I read with some relief tonight that Jim Dahl and Priceless are both asserting in the Bracketology thread that the top 8 teams in Pairwise are all going to be in the NCAA's no matter what happens to them in each team's respective conference tourneys (and, of course, 5 of those 8 are NCHC teams). Since UNO is #7, fat city.

The first team that would be "in trouble" if they got swept is #9, Providence, say they.

Since I think the only team that would have a "cakewalk" in the NCAA's (such as there is in college hockey--unless you are the Gophers playing Holy Cross :p) is the team playing the #16 team in Pairwise (almost certainly the AHA auto-qualifier) I really don't care where UNO ends up unless winning the NCHC tourney would get them to #1 in Pairwise. Otherwise, as I said, I'd prefer to be in South Bend. Those tickets are going to be gettable and it is a reasonable 550 mile drive, too.

Red Cows
03-10-2015, 04:30 PM
None of the NCHC's "Goals of the Week" (5 per week) this season was against UNO.

Not a one of them.

Thank you, Ryan Massa.

5thYearFreshman
03-11-2015, 08:40 AM
I read with some relief tonight that Jim Dahl and Priceless are both asserting in the Bracketology thread that the top 8 teams in Pairwise are all going to be in the NCAA's no matter what happens to them in each team's respective conference tourneys (and, of course, 5 of those 8 are NCHC teams). Since UNO is #7, fat city.

The first team that would be "in trouble" if they got swept is #9, Providence, say they.

Since I think the only team that would have a "cakewalk" in the NCAA's (such as there is in college hockey--unless you are the Gophers playing Holy Cross :p) is the team playing the #16 team in Pairwise (almost certainly the AHA auto-qualifier) I really don't care where UNO ends up unless winning the NCHC tourney would get them to #1 in Pairwise. Otherwise, as I said, I'd prefer to be in South Bend. Those tickets are going to be gettable and it is a reasonable 550 mile drive, too.

If Michigan State wins the B1G tourney, that makes Phillip (Robert) Morris the #15 seed. Mankato has to like that

SCSU Euro
03-11-2015, 12:49 PM
None of the NCHC's "Goals of the Week" (5 per week) this season was against UNO.

Not a one of them.

Thank you, Ryan Massa.

First off, I'd take that the other way. If a goal of the week is scored on your goalie, not much he could've done about that. Sounds like Massa gave up tons of "defendable goals" (trademark: Bob Motzko)

Secondly, you just mean that none of the goals finishing in #1 for that week was against UNO, right? Not any of the top 5 period, correct?

Red Cows
03-12-2015, 12:05 AM
First off, I'd take that the other way. If a goal of the week is scored on your goalie, not much he could've done about that. Sounds like Massa gave up tons of "defendable goals" (trademark: Bob Motzko)

Secondly, you just mean that none of the goals finishing in #1 for that week was against UNO, right? Not any of the top 5 period, correct?

Correct, none of the top 5.

Full confession, this was tweeted on Mavpuck and I did not actually check for myself. I if am wrong, flame me.

SCSU Euro
03-12-2015, 10:19 AM
Correct, none of the top 5.

Full confession, this was tweeted on Mavpuck and I did not actually check for myself. I if am wrong, flame me.

I won't flame you, but I remember UND's goal where the guy hit it out of mid-air made it. And if UNO only gave up one goal that made the top 5, that's crazy. I could go back and look but that one I remember off the top of my head.

gomavs#1
03-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Obviously big game tonight. If the past is any indicator of our chances tonight, I would say they are slim to none.

5thYearFreshman
03-14-2015, 09:55 PM
Obviously big game tonight. If the past is any indicator of our chances tonight, I would say they are slim to none.

Seriously, what is the major malfunction? This wasn't as bad as getting swept by Bemidji at home a few years back, but this is getting ridiculous

SCSU Euro
03-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Seriously, what is the major malfunction? This wasn't as bad as getting swept by Bemidji at home a few years back, but this is getting ridiculous

To be fair, you played a team whose season was on the line. NHL players always say, by FAR the hardest win to get in Stanley Cup playoff series is the 4th one. Its not easy to end someone's season. We found that out after winning the Penrose last year then taking on Miami.

gomavs#1
03-14-2015, 10:41 PM
To be fair, you played a team whose season was on the line. NHL players always say, by FAR the hardest win to get in Stanley Cup playoff series is the 4th one. Its not easy to end someone's season. We found that out after winning the Penrose last year then taking on Miami.

While that might be true...we have yet to go to a second round of a conference playoff in MANY, MANY years. I can't remember the last time we made it to the second round. The excuses for our February/March record pile up every year. This year it is that we played a team on the ropes. I'll wait for next year's excuses.

Red Cows
03-14-2015, 11:04 PM
This year it is that we played a team on the ropes. I'll wait for next year's excuses.

Wow, I can't say I agree with this statement.

SCSU was a Frozen 4 team last season with 17 upper classmen this season.

Their regular season along with Minnesota's are arguably the biggest underachieving seasons in the country this year.

We swept them here earlier in the season in games we did not really play well in. Go look at the stats of those two games.

We were (and, are) in the NCAA tourney no matter what happened this weekend. THEY were playing for their very lives. Couple that with they are not a team we match-up very well with and this outcome didn't really surprise me much at all. I, frankly, did not expect to win this series and, we didn't. I had higher hopes, actually, if we could get by them because I though they easily presented the worst first round trouble we could have gotten ourselves into. We played better, collectively, this season against North Dakota than we did in our games with SCSU.

Is SCSU going to win the NCHC tourney? Dunno. But, I wouldn't be shocked at all if they did. They are going to have the best "home ice" advantage of any team there, probably. They are a very battle-tested team despite whatever might have gone on during the regular season. They spent a ton of time having the biggest disparity of any team in the country in their Pairwise ranking and their KRACH ranking, where they were substantially higher.

Today, a week ago, a month ago, if you had asked me who the most underrated team in the entire country was, I would not and still would not hesitate to say that team is SCSU.

SCSU Euro
03-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Is SCSU going to win the NCHC tourney? Dunno. But, I wouldn't be shocked at all if they did. They are going to have the best "home ice" advantage of any team there, probably.

Appreciate the sentiment, but UND will have the most fans there, and it won't be close. We'll probably have the second most, then honestly there may be more tUMD fans there than fans of the winner of the WMU/Miami game tonight or DU fans. Heck, there might be more Gopher fans than DU fans. The green and black are an infestation; you've seen how many they've brought down to Omaha, and Minneapolis is a lot closer. Plus a lot of UND fans are now in the Twin Cities, 'cause while UND is a good school, nobody wants to stay in North Dakota. :D

There will be green and black everywhere and Sioux Yeah Yeahs in surround sound. The one thing we'll have going for us is that everyone there not cheering for UND will be cheering AGAINST UND, other than maybe if we play UND and some knowledgeable Miami, DU and tUMD fans know that us losing could kick us out of the tournament.

MplsSioux
03-15-2015, 09:49 AM
Appreciate the sentiment, but UND will have the most fans there, and it won't be close. We'll probably have the second most, then honestly there may be more tUMD fans there than fans of the winner of the WMU/Miami game tonight or DU fans. Heck, there might be more Gopher fans than DU fans. The green and black are an infestation; you've seen how many they've brought down to Omaha, and Minneapolis is a lot closer. Plus a lot of UND fans are now in the Twin Cities, 'cause while UND is a good school, nobody wants to stay in North Dakota. :D

There will be green and black everywhere and Sioux Yeah Yeahs in surround sound. The one thing we'll have going for us is that everyone there not cheering for UND will be cheering AGAINST UND, other than maybe if we play UND and some knowledgeable Miami, DU and tUMD fans know that us losing could kick us out of the tournament.

Yup, it will be a majority of UND fans and the NCHC organizers will breath a sigh of relief that we made it into the Frozen Faceoff again.

As for the no one likes to stay in GF, you've been to St. Cloud I'm assuming right? Had friends that lived there and they got out as soon as they graduated to move back to GF. Myself, I owned a condo in downtown Minneapolis and worked there too for 3 years. Packed up and moved back to Grand Forks because I was sick of it. I know it's something people like to say to mess with ND fans but we're perfectly content in GF... except that it's ********** cold :)

SCSU Euro
03-15-2015, 10:02 AM
Yup, it will be a majority of UND fans and the NCHC organizers will breath a sigh of relief that we made it into the Frozen Faceoff again.

As for the no one likes to stay in GF, you've been to St. Cloud I'm assuming right? Had friends that lived there and they got out as soon as they graduated to move back to GF. Myself, I owned a condo in downtown Minneapolis and worked there too for 3 years. Packed up and moved back to Grand Forks because I was sick of it. I know it's something people like to say to mess with ND fans but we're perfectly content in GF... except that it's ********** cold :)

Honestly, I've looked at radio gigs in Grand Forks. Grand Forks is big enough where there's stuff to do. Its the rest of the state. I lived in Beulah for 6 months, and that was 9 months too long

Tipsy McStagger
03-15-2015, 10:54 AM
As for the no one likes to stay in GF, you've been to St. Cloud I'm assuming right? Had friends that lived there and they got out as soon as they graduated to move back to GF.
You had friends that moved home after college? Tell me more.

Dirty
03-15-2015, 11:02 AM
You had friends that moved home after college? Tell me more.

Well they graduated from SCSU so they obviously couldn't get a job and had to move back in with mom and dad.

MplsSioux
03-15-2015, 11:11 AM
Well they graduated from SCSU so they obviously couldn't get a job and had to move back in with mom and dad.

Yup, thought that was pretty obvious :)

MplsSioux
03-15-2015, 11:12 AM
Honestly, I've looked at radio gigs in Grand Forks. Grand Forks is big enough where there's stuff to do. Its the rest of the state. I lived in Beulah for 6 months, and that was 9 months too long

Yeah, don't live in Beulah...ever