PDA

View Full Version : 2014-2015 Quinnipiac Bobcats: "I hear Boston is nice in April"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41

Siouxfaninseattle
03-27-2015, 12:12 AM
UND doesn't scare me nearly as much as any of the ECAC competition, and you can say what you want but it's true.

So you're saying you would rather see the number 2 team in the Pairwise instead of numbers 9, 13, 17, 21t, 21t, 28, 36 , 44, 46, 47 or 56. Doesn't make much sense to me.

DownOnTheFarm
03-27-2015, 01:10 AM
Its a different style of hockey being played in the ECAC.

MarkEagleUSA
03-27-2015, 03:48 AM
Game day in Fargo!

They boys have 60 minutes of hockey to get it done and play tomorrow. Otherwise it will be a long offseason. With or without Anas, this team has the talent to get it done. The key is they need to come out ready to roll. Every shift is critical and they can't have any lapses.

Time to put it together.

Go Q!

#GameDayGold

HuskyNation
03-27-2015, 04:06 AM
I know I said this last week and I'll say it again, I have a feeling Anas plays tomorrow

To be honest, what do you have to lose by playing him? If he can skate, it's a no brainer.

Fighting Sioux 23
03-27-2015, 05:18 AM
So you're saying you would rather see the number 2 team in the Pairwise instead of numbers 9, 13, 17, 21t, 21t, 28, 36 , 44, 46, 47 or 56. Doesn't make much sense to me.

To be fair, while the Pairwise is a mediocre system for determining at-large teams for the NCAA Tournament, it is not a very good system at all to rank teams.

That being said, to say that one would rather play North Dakota than say, Brown or Princeton, is simply false bravado...a sign of nervousness.

The ECAC was absolutely dominant in the NCAA Tournament in 2013, and Union carried the conference flag last season (can't say much for how Colgate and Quinnipiac performed last season). I believe there will be at least 1 ECAC team in the Frozen Four, and I wouldn't be shocked if 2 made it. The ECAC has proven themselves as one of the top leagues, but the NCHC went 13-6-2 against the ECAC this season. How far will that take them in the NCAA Tournament...well, that's the nice thing about this time of year, we'll find out.

I've followed North Dakota hockey for almost 30 years, and I'm trying to remember another opening round game where I was this unsure of how my team would perform. To say the least, it has been awhile. The way I see it, North Dakota has the ability to beat anyone in the tournament, but could also lose to anyone in the tournament. As with any NCAA Tournament over the past 10 years or so, the winner will need to play very well for 4 games, and get a bit of puck luck. That could be the case for either North Dakota or Quinnipiac, and I wouldn't be surprised if either of these teams wins it all (or loses Saturday).

As for tonight's game, I think the teams are fairly even. QU probably has a bit more high end punch offensively, North Dakota is a little deeper, the Sioux slightly outmatch the Bobcats along the blue line, and I think UND has a slight edge in net. Both teams have experience at this stage, and both coaches are solid. I think this will be a 1-goal game that could go either way, and I wouldn't be overly surprised if this went beyond 60 minutes. Overall, I think North Dakota has an ever-so-slight edge, especially if Anas is unable to play (or is unable to perform up to his normal abilities). Throw in that the game is in North Dakota (albeit Fargo, but a decided edge in terms of crowd support), and I think the Sioux edge out the Bobcats. First team to three wins, so I'll take North Dakota 3-2.

Either way, I don't think anyone is overlooking the ECAC schools anymore, but if they do, they will get blown out of the water. Of course, the same should be said for the NCHC as well. ;)

QU87
03-27-2015, 08:04 AM
Solid assessment. Agree with everything you said. We definitely need a close to 100% Sam Anas, a top performance from Garteig, and a strong power play if QU hopes to advance.

To be fair, while the Pairwise is a mediocre system for determining at-large teams for the NCAA Tournament, it is not a very good system at all to rank teams.

That being said, to say that one would rather play North Dakota than say, Brown or Princeton, is simply false bravado...a sign of nervousness.

The ECAC was absolutely dominant in the NCAA Tournament in 2013, and Union carried the conference flag last season (can't say much for how Colgate and Quinnipiac performed last season). I believe there will be at least 1 ECAC team in the Frozen Four, and I wouldn't be shocked if 2 made it. The ECAC has proven themselves as one of the top leagues, but the NCHC went 13-6-2 against the ECAC this season. How far will that take them in the NCAA Tournament...well, that's the nice thing about this time of year, we'll find out.

I've followed North Dakota hockey for almost 30 years, and I'm trying to remember another opening round game where I was this unsure of how my team would perform. To say the least, it has been awhile. The way I see it, North Dakota has the ability to beat anyone in the tournament, but could also lose to anyone in the tournament. As with any NCAA Tournament over the past 10 years or so, the winner will need to play very well for 4 games, and get a bit of puck luck. That could be the case for either North Dakota or Quinnipiac, and I wouldn't be surprised if either of these teams wins it all (or loses Saturday).

As for tonight's game, I think the teams are fairly even. QU probably has a bit more high end punch offensively, North Dakota is a little deeper, the Sioux slightly outmatch the Bobcats along the blue line, and I think UND has a slight edge in net. Both teams have experience at this stage, and both coaches are solid. I think this will be a 1-goal game that could go either way, and I wouldn't be overly surprised if this went beyond 60 minutes. Overall, I think North Dakota has an ever-so-slight edge, especially if Anas is unable to play (or is unable to perform up to his normal abilities). Throw in that the game is in North Dakota (albeit Fargo, but a decided edge in terms of crowd support), and I think the Sioux edge out the Bobcats. First team to three wins, so I'll take North Dakota 3-2.

Either way, I don't think anyone is overlooking the ECAC schools anymore, but if they do, they will get blown out of the water. Of course, the same should be said for the NCHC as well. ;)

MSchvatz44
03-27-2015, 08:31 AM

Great post, FS23. Nice read.

That said, this is NO time for logic and sound reasoning! :D

Bobcats win 3-2 on a late Timmy Clifton goal. Mark it down! :cool:

Go Bobcats!

sshablak
03-27-2015, 08:34 AM
Good Luck to the Q, hoping for ya Mark !

bothman
03-27-2015, 08:41 AM
Let's go Quinny!

BobNY
03-27-2015, 08:53 AM
FS23, Great post. I also agree with your assessment, but I will have to agree with MSchvatz's prediction on the outcome :)

Great post, FS23. Nice read.

That said, this is NO time for logic and sound reasoning! :D

Bobcats win 3-2 on a late Timmy Clifton goal. Mark it down! :cool:

Go Bobcats!

I predict a big night for Landon Smith. Mark it down! :cool:

Kepler
03-27-2015, 09:33 AM
This might be an off year for the ECAC, and i mean might. But the ECAC is here to stay and needs to get way more respect from the other conferences and these writers and journalists.

Respect comes from results. The ECAC is getting far more respect than prior to 2013, and if we keep pushing far into / winning the F4, we'll continue to get more respect. This year has not produced a world-beater out of the conference, but then again Yale barely backed in in 2013 and then took it all. Harvard and Yale are peaking at the right time and Q is a very dangerous team, so I'm hopeful we can get at least one squad to the F4 this year. It wouldn't surprise me to see any of our representatives either win a title or pot out in the first round: that's the charm of single elimination.

Good luck to every representative of the conference this weekend.

ZYanksRule
03-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Quinnipiac certainly has the talent to win tonight, but we've seen how inconsistent they've been throughout the season. This is a young team, so you hope they'll be able to handle the nerves that come with an NCAA Tournament better than they handled LP. I do think this group rallies around being the underdog, and I also think they want to right the wrong of last year's no-show against Providence.

I'm hopeful, but cautiously so.

Go Bobcats! Beat NoDak!

Quinn57
03-27-2015, 12:16 PM
Will be happy to be wrong but I think we'll see a 3-1 ND win.

BigAl
03-27-2015, 02:44 PM
Speaking of the ECAC....Yale leads BU 1-0 after 2.....here we go again..maybe

BigAl
03-27-2015, 04:42 PM
Sam Anas will dress. Lets go Q!!!

BobNY
03-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Sam Anas will dress. Lets go Q!!!
That is GREAT news!!

Go Q!!!!

BigAl
03-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Well the boys played alright tonight. Better than the score reflected Garteig wants the second one back. He was shielded on the first.

North Dakota played a solid game but their physical defense was too much for us. They blocked shots and McIntyre is a special player who will be pivotal to their national championship hopes. Good luck to them.

Hard to not know when I will be able to see another Q game but I had a blast for the past 4 years as an undergrad. 2 years ago is something I wouldn't trade for all the money I have. What a career out of Matt Peca. It will be exciting to see what he does in his future. This senior class rose the bar (dont forget about BVB) much like the past two classes. They have paved the way for continued success. Always fun posting on here with everyone else who has a passion for this program. Thanks and..Go Bobcats

QUAlum2004
03-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Thanks to Matt Peca, Danny Federico and Justin Agosta. The last 3 years have been great. We have pretty much the entire team returning next year so hopefully some of the freshman take the next step and lets see what recruits will come to Hamden or stay back in juniors for another year.

Fighting Sioux 23
03-27-2015, 10:37 PM
As BigAl said, that game was a lot closer than the score indicated. 5x5 these teams are about as equal as it gets. Tonight, North Dakota got the Bobcats with special teams. I have to imagine that if Anas was fully healthy this may have come out a bit different. North Dakota also was a bit better in net, and when you combine that with a strong special teams performance...well...you often get a victory.

I really enjoy watching your program continue to grow. I have no doubts that we'll be seeing each other in similar spots in the years to come, and hopefully we can start playing some regular season series. Good luck next season...unless we meet again.

QUAlum2004
03-27-2015, 10:38 PM
As BigAl said, that game was a lot closer than the score indicated. 5x5 these teams are about as equal as it gets. Tonight, North Dakota got the Bobcats with special teams. I have to imagine that if Anas was fully healthy this may have come out a bit different. North Dakota also was a bit better in net, and when you combine that with a strong special teams performance...well...you often get a victory.

I really enjoy watching your program continue to grow. I have no doubts that we'll be seeing each other in similar spots in the years to come, and hopefully we can start playing some regular season series. Good luck next season...unless we meet again.

You guys played really good tonight especially on the back end with so many blocked shots. If you get to Boston I think you have a tremendous shot to win it all after what I saw tonight.