PDA

View Full Version : 2014-2015 Quinnipiac Bobcats: "I hear Boston is nice in April"

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

QUAlum2004
10-22-2014, 12:45 PM
I mean, look at this roster. They have 17 freshmen and sophomores, just 11 juniors, seniors, and graduate students. You can't win a hockey game because you have a couple stars, you win because of your depth. And right now, QU has a whole bunch of guys that need to learn how to play college hockey.

The Bobcats will be fine, but it's not going to happen overnight.

Defense & goaltending is suppose to be the teams strength and it has been brutal to start the year.

ZYanksRule
10-22-2014, 01:42 PM
Defense & goaltending is suppose to be the teams strength and it has been brutal to start the year.

No question about that, but I do think Garteig's issues are mainly due to the defensive breakdowns. Guys just aren't playing well back there. It's a slump -- if you're an NHL fan, you just saw the Rangers give up a total of 12 goals in back-to-back games, they've given up a total of four goals in the three games since.

It's a slump, that's all it is. Guys are going to figure it out, this team is going to be good. They're a bad hockey team right now, but they've got good coaches and good skill -- they'll figure it out.

BigAl
10-22-2014, 01:56 PM

It is interesting that what we thought would be solid at the beginning of the year has been the weakness thus far. I think the reason for this is puck possession. Was our defense and goal tending truly elite last year? I would say no, but the numbers would suggest yes. We possessed the puck for 65% or more of most games so how could the numbers be crazy for the opposition. This year we clearly have not been able to possess the puck for as long and I think it starts in the corners. When you lose a JST who dominated the corners and the Jones' who seemed to almost never lose the puck, these things happen. While some goals have not been our goalies faults, Garteig has been horrendous. As you watch highlights of games, there have been many soft goals and a small amount of times he's bailed out the defense. The defensive coverages have been horrendous at times and the defender's seem to always get caught pinching too much or letting a guy walk right in front of the crease. We have seen a number of stupid penalties and all of these things combined make for some pretty bad performances. The forwards should not be immune to criticism as defense HAS to be played by 5 guys and that hasnt been the case. Anas and L Smith need to become two way forwards if we want any shot of competing in the ECAC this year.

As for the musical chairs last night, I did like pulling Garteig after the first but I did not agree with taking Lawrence out in the middle of the period after a goal. If nothing else, Rand is literally saying show me something to either of them and you'll play.

With all that said, this team can still compete for the ECAC Championship but things need to start changing. This week and a half off is a time for guys to heal and for fixes to be made. I expect a much better performance against Northeastern. Cornell and Colgate are right around the corner..

CollegeHockeyRinkReport
10-22-2014, 01:59 PM
My scouting report on drafted guys and a few free agents from last night's game vs. UConn

http://sbnation.com/e/6802954

MarkEagleUSA
10-22-2014, 05:51 PM
No question about thatGeez Seth... that very Schwietzer-esque of you! ;)

It's a slump, that's all it is. Guys are going to figure it out, this team is going to be good. They're a bad hockey team right now, but they've got good coaches and good skill -- they'll figure it out.Yeah, it's a slump and they probably will figure it all out soon. A few years ago this wouldn't have mattered. Now, it's the end of the world. I think we as fans have become much more demanding and that's a good thing.

MarkEagleUSA
10-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Ok... 24th in the latest meaningless poll. A little incentive perhaps?

QUAlum2004
10-28-2014, 04:23 AM
Ok... 24th in the latest meaningless poll. A little incentive perhaps?

I guess but they are what they are right now.

BigAl
10-28-2014, 11:27 AM
The poll is stupid as we all know but if we reject it now we have to reject it the next time we make the top 5. Can't have it both ways

MarkEagleUSA
10-28-2014, 05:03 PM
The poll is stupid as we all know but if we reject it now we have to reject it the next time we make the top 5. Can't have it both waysVery true...

My only complaint is that there shouldn't a poll this early in a season. I mean, how can Cornell be a top-20 team when they haven't played a game yet? Early in the season it's nothing more than a popularity contest, but it's a good gauge to see where teams stack up with the competition.

The bottom line is the team has to go out a find a way to take 2 games this weekend. Win and the polls take care of themselves.

MSchvatz44
10-28-2014, 07:54 PM
Tommy Schutt is a workhorse. Never takes a shift off and is always giving his all. Not the most skilled out there, but definitely the most determined.

We saw St Denis in street clothes in the tunnel towards the end of the 3rd. I honestly don't remember his last shift, nor do I remember him having any trouble on the ice. Hopefully it's nothing serious, and at least he made an appearance unlike that former fan named Schvatz! ;)

I hate to admit this but I enjoy having Larson at games. He's as passionate as any Bobcat fan I've met and offers great (even if sometimes twisted) insight into the game. Of course, anyone who wears a pink women's jersey to a men's game... well, um... err... yeah. :eek:

I have given myself 10 days to vent after this comment, and believe now I can return to this forum with a cooler head... :cool:

UConn loss was no bueno. Admittedly, I did not have an opportunity to watch the game, so I will defer judgement to you gents. That said, I think we can all agree that this team should stay far, far away from Webster Bank Arena moving forward.

Like BigAl said, hopefully this 10 day breather will offer some time for the team and coaching staff to reflect on their performances so far this year, goals and overall disposition. I enjoy high expectations, and will not waver in the bar I have now set for this team.

Looking ahead, they have a Northeastern team coming into the Bank this weekend who has yet to record a win or tie this year, and has just four goals in its first four games (including being shutout twice by Colgate). This will offer the team a nice opportunity to right the ship and gain some momentum going into the first conference weekend of the season. I'll be at the Cornell game!

MarkEagleUSA
10-29-2014, 02:04 PM
Chip Malafronte tweeted today that Jack McDonald is retiring in June.

boblav1
10-29-2014, 05:03 PM

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2014/10/29_quinnipiac_ad_mcdonald_to.php

MinniQUFan
10-29-2014, 06:08 PM

What a bittersweet announcement. Great for Jack but after everything he's done for QU, he will be hard to replace. Don't know if retirement will send him far from Quinnipiac, but it'll be strange not seeing him around the rink. I can personally say, from my interactions, one of the nicest guys at QU.

MinniQUFan
10-29-2014, 06:11 PM
Also since I've come out of uscho hibernation, but having seen 2 of QUs first 4 games... Yikes. Garteig has been as dreadful as the defense in front of him. The offense will be fine but won't matter much if QU is giving up 4 goals a game.

vicb
10-30-2014, 07:40 AM
Less than 35 hours to get your picks in. You have until 7PM Friday Night.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...14-2015-Season

allnightwong
10-30-2014, 02:07 PM
What a bittersweet announcement. Great for Jack but after everything he's done for QU, he will be hard to replace. Don't know if retirement will send him far from Quinnipiac, but it'll be strange not seeing him around the rink. I can personally say, from my interactions, one of the nicest guys at QU.

Yeah, I too haven't been super present posting on the board but I do read what you chaps are writing daily. Jack will sorely be missed. But he did his job. He had a goal of putting this team and this university on the map and he did that in a tremendous way. Jack is one of those old school program guys. He is always front and center as one of the fans. With a beautiful, luxurious President's Club, or whatever they call it, perched high over the playing surface, Jack still makes a point to sit with the fans, not far from us, in the back row near center ice donning his muted yellow sweater vest and gigantic camera. That's cool and it's rare. He probably doesn't know my name, but you better believe a game doesn't go by that he doesn't say hello when passing, knowing a diehard familiar face when he sees it. Something in the future will be named after him but I'm tossing out the suggestion that when the High Point Solutions contract runs out, the ice rink is named after him similarly to how the basketball court is named for Murray Lender. He's meant too much to this growing program to not recognize him in some honoring way.

As far as the on ice play of late, this is a hard team to comment on right now and since shutting down the blog I've avoided writing anything negative. I think it's too early to give up on a squad this talented. We have a recruiting class that at least, on paper, is as good as it gets. Landon Smith has shown glimpses of brilliance, MacMaster has been solid at times while the rest still seem to be finding their way. As far as the goaltending situation, Garteig still has to be the guy. Lawrence did well in the Lowell tie but it seems awfully soon to be abandoning hope in a guy like Garteig who shined more nights than not in the previous season. The defense will improve and more scoring will come outside of the Anas/Peca duo. Stay positive and realize that these expectations we've had are a testament to the program, a program McDonald skillfully crafted. This should be a fun weekend at the Bank with a proven team like Northeastern coming in. I bet no one would've guessed through 8 combined games the Huskies and Bobcats would be a combined 1-6-1. Something has to give with both teams growing desperate with the day. I pose this question, when was the last USCHO poll that was released without QU in the top 20? Anyone who can find this out for me gets a high five.

I'll end my rant with this. We've been spoiled. The past few seasons have been amazing, mind blowing and humbling coming from a small program winning Quinnipiac Cups at the NIP. As a Cubs fan it's easy for me to look at a losing team and stick with them through thick and thin and while I think the team will right the ship this year, if they don't, hope and steady devotion will not be lost. This is simply because of what Jack McDonald and Rand built, a winning product.

MarkEagleUSA
10-30-2014, 05:36 PM
A few years ago my daughter and I travelled 6-1/2 hrs to Canton, NY to watch game 2 of the semi's against St. Lawrence. We pull into the parking lot at Appleton and as we're walking in we see Jack, also on his way in. He sees my Bobcat jersey and ask if I need tickets. Before I could tell him we had them waiting at will call he opened his wallet and handed me 2 that he had. When I told him I didn't need them he said "take them anyway". That's just the way he is.

I, too, think naming the rink after him would be the highest honor QU could bestow on him.

I pose this question, when was the last USCHO poll that was released without QU in the top 20? Anyone who can find this out for me gets a high five.We were 23rd with 64 pts on October 1st, 2012. That season ended pretty well... ;)

BigAl
10-30-2014, 10:38 PM
Yeah, I too haven't been super present posting on the board but I do read what you chaps are writing daily. Jack will sorely be missed. But he did his job. He had a goal of putting this team and this university on the map and he did that in a tremendous way. Jack is one of those old school program guys. He is always front and center as one of the fans. With a beautiful, luxurious President's Club, or whatever they call it, perched high over the playing surface, Jack still makes a point to sit with the fans, not far from us, in the back row near center ice donning his muted yellow sweater vest and gigantic camera. That's cool and it's rare. He probably doesn't know my name, but you better believe a game doesn't go by that he doesn't say hello when passing, knowing a diehard familiar face when he sees it. Something in the future will be named after him but I'm tossing out the suggestion that when the High Point Solutions contract runs out, the ice rink is named after him similarly to how the basketball court is named for Murray Lender. He's meant too much to this growing program to not recognize him in some honoring way.

As far as the on ice play of late, this is a hard team to comment on right now and since shutting down the blog I've avoided writing anything negative. I think it's too early to give up on a squad this talented. We have a recruiting class that at least, on paper, is as good as it gets. Landon Smith has shown glimpses of brilliance, MacMaster has been solid at times while the rest still seem to be finding their way. As far as the goaltending situation, Garteig still has to be the guy. Lawrence did well in the Lowell tie but it seems awfully soon to be abandoning hope in a guy like Garteig who shined more nights than not in the previous season. The defense will improve and more scoring will come outside of the Anas/Peca duo. Stay positive and realize that these expectations we've had are a testament to the program, a program McDonald skillfully crafted. This should be a fun weekend at the Bank with a proven team like Northeastern coming in. I bet no one would've guessed through 8 combined games the Huskies and Bobcats would be a combined 1-6-1. Something has to give with both teams growing desperate with the day. I pose this question, when was the last USCHO poll that was released without QU in the top 20? Anyone who can find this out for me gets a high five.

I'll end my rant with this. We've been spoiled. The past few seasons have been amazing, mind blowing and humbling coming from a small program winning Quinnipiac Cups at the NIP. As a Cubs fan it's easy for me to look at a losing team and stick with them through thick and thin and while I think the team will right the ship this year, if they don't, hope and steady devotion will not be lost. This is simply because of what Jack McDonald and Rand built, a winning product.

November 12th, 2012

vicb
10-31-2014, 04:29 AM
Your last warning. Less than 14 hours to get your picks in. You have until 7PM tonight.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...14-2015-Season

MarkEagleUSA
11-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Great opportunity to right the ship this weekend. Northeastern is winless in 4 starts having been shutout twice and only scoring 4 goals. I'm sure they'll be hungry... we need to be hungrier. NU cannot be taken lightly and the Bobcats have to take it to them. Hopefully there's no rust for us from the off-weekend.

Go Q!