PDA

View Full Version : 2014-2015 Quinnipiac Bobcats: "I hear Boston is nice in April"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40 41

bothman
03-21-2015, 02:21 PM
I guess so but it wasn't much of his head as it was his neck/chin. I just feel like it wasn't anything intentional or malicious so why should he be penalized so severely.

Last I checked, the chin is part of the head. There is no gray here in my mind.

bothman
03-21-2015, 02:22 PM
I might have missed something but it seemed to me like the refs didn't make the call (at the scorer's table) until Blackwell got up. That tells me that if he jumps right up, Clifton only gets a 2. That's part of the problem. While headshots should be eliminated from the game, players know that staying down after a borderline hit usually sells the call. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but my opinion is the refs need to make the call immediately and not wait for the outcome.

Agreed. I think the hit to the head, regardless of outcome or injury, is an automatic DQ. That will also preclude the player from "selling" it. He won't have to.

Got 6, Want More
03-21-2015, 05:21 PM
I might have missed something but it seemed to me like the refs didn't make the call (at the scorer's table) until Blackwell got up. That tells me that if he jumps right up, Clifton only gets a 2. That's part of the problem. While headshots should be eliminated from the game, players know that staying down after a borderline hit usually sells the call. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but my opinion is the refs need to make the call immediately and not wait for the outcome.

I had the same feeling Mark. Honestly, my view was partially obstructed by another player on the ice, but at that time I said that was a BS call and was maybe even going to be called for a dive. But I spoke to TimU between games and his word is as good as gold and he said it was a clear elbow to the chops. Until one of the SLU coaches pointed it out to me, I didn't even know there were two Clifton's on QU, so I was shaking my head in disgust thinking it was Connor. It sounds like it was called right, even if they had to deliberate on it, but anyone saying they should send Sasquatch Guiltenen out on a head-hunting mission is a bit over the top unless they want to send the same guy after Hart in practice! ;) Fast forward to our game and they call Tommy Thompson for CTH which I am not sure it was (bad angle again) but don't call it on Golgate when they close line Joe Sullivan for which I had a good angle.

Head hits are something the NCAA and ECAC should find a way to punish very severely. If a guy is facing a double DQ, I have to think a severe punishment would deter what I think it the single most ugly part of hockey. Concussions was a big part of Joe Marsh retiring...he was tortured by the thought of permanent brain damage to his kids. It's sheer laziness and lack of discipline. One play can end a guys career and set them up for medical problems down the line such as Parkinson's. I detest CTH plays. FWIW, the play Nick Lappin of Brown hit on Mike Marnell in November that gave Marnell a concussions was worse than last night or Hart's hit. He got hit with a suspension right after that, but I lost all respect for him as a player after that because his was pretty clearly intentional.

Quinn57
03-21-2015, 06:47 PM
Didn't see Clifton targeting/exhibiting an intent to injure but just my opinion.

Lost in all of this is that it's incredibly irresponsible for Harvard staff to send him back out given his injury history. If he took the type of big blow to the head (intentional or not) that requires on-ice attention, there's no way he should have returned. But again, just my opinion.

toogees
03-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Here it is. Cell phone video off my TV at slow motion. Sorry for the quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fd_u7ixNL7A

Got 6, Want More
03-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Didn't see Clifton targeting/exhibiting an intent to injure but just my opinion.

Lost in all of this is that it's incredibly irresponsible for Harvard staff to send him back out given his injury history. If he took the type of big blow to the head (intentional or not) that requires on-ice attention, there's no way he should have returned. But again, just my opinion.

That is a fair point!

Got 6, Want More
03-21-2015, 07:05 PM

Disagree, that's pretty bad and the first part of Cliftons body to make contact was to the head.. That was 5!

MSchvatz44
03-21-2015, 08:27 PM

I don't know. Tim Clifton is not the kind of guy that would target someone's head. From that video (first I am seeing of the hit), it looks like Blackwell kind of dips his head into Clifton's shoulder while he was applying the check. Clifton was certainly high, but those saying that it was an elbow to the face are simply wrong. Clifton's elbow is in the upper chest; it is the shoulder that makes contact with the head. If Blackwell is upright, that is a clean hit.

That said, clearly Clifton's finish on the hit was a bit high there. And I agree with everyone here that hits the head need to be regulated and punished accordingly. I just don't really see it here. He was making a play for the puck at first, then went for the hit when the puck bounced to the corner.

Got 6, Want More
03-21-2015, 09:48 PM
I don't know. Tim Clifton is not the kind of guy that would target someone's head. From that video (first I am seeing of the hit), it looks like Blackwell kind of dips his head into Clifton's shoulder while he was applying the check. Clifton was certainly high, but those saying that it was an elbow to the face are simply wrong. Clifton's elbow is in the upper chest; it is the shoulder that makes contact with the head. If Blackwell is upright, that is a clean hit.

That said, clearly Clifton's finish on the hit was a bit high there. And I agree with everyone here that hits the head need to be regulated and punished accordingly. I just don't really see it here. He was making a play for the puck at first, then went for the hit when the puck bounced to the corner.

The follow through has Clifton's elbow right in his grill. It doesn't matter if Blackwell if 5'1" of if he dips his head, Clifton dropped his shoulder right into his face and follows through with his elbow. Those Jersey's boys should know that type of hit from Scott Stevens on Paul Kariya. I do agree Blackwell left himself exposed, but that was definitely a 5.

ZYanksRule
03-21-2015, 11:00 PM

Yeah, that's borderline for me. Clifton's trying to make a full-body hit, the kid kind of lowers his head right as Clifton is going in for it ... listen, it's contact to the head. Was there intent? I don't think so. Was the head the principal point of contact? I'm not sure. It was the initial point of contact, but that was pretty close to a full body hit.

Ultimately, I have no issue with the refs erring on the side of caution on these hits. But that's not as bad as I thought before seeing the replay. It's not a clean hit by any stretch. I have no issue with it being a major, but I'm not convinced it actually is a major, if that makes sense.

What I don't like about that hit is how Clifton explodes through the kid. He's going for the SportsCenter hit, and that's where I think it looks worse. Again, I have no problem with it being a major.

ZYanksRule
03-22-2015, 11:47 AM
I don't know much about North Dakota, other than they were the No. 1 team in the country for a while this year.

Tough task on Friday, but this inconsistent group can do it. Hopefully they can figure things out in time.

Go Bobcats! Beat NoDak!

SiouxFanatic
03-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Hey Q-fans!

Looking forward to the matchup between UND and QU. Last time the two played each other was in 2006. Jonathan Toews was still wearing a college jersey.

I'm hoping to learn more about your team through the week.

QUBobcats70
03-22-2015, 12:03 PM
Mark,

Are you driving to Fargo? 1,510 miles; 22 hours and 28 minutes from Hamden. I'll send you the directions.

QUAlum2004
03-22-2015, 12:08 PM
I bet one of the big reasons we were kicked west was QU's pathetic attendance in Bridgeport last year.

MSchvatz44
03-22-2015, 12:27 PM
Providence College really just ruined everything in terms of seeding. As mentioned (probably ad nauseum) on this site, the preferential treatment Providence received is just absurd. They are treated like a host university are rewarded with a home game. Boy, Miami must be REAL upset. They have to fly to the east and play a road game as a one seed against the second-to-last seeded team in the tournament. Unreal.

Of course, that set off the domino of sending us west to Fargo and Yale, thanks mainly to its three wins over Harvard this year, to Manchester. Zero bracket integrity. Whatever.

All of that being said, I am actually quite excited for this matchup. Will it be extremely difficult to beat NoDak in their barn without Anas? Of course. It will probably be the most hostile environment in which this program has ever played. But that is exactly what makes it so exciting. QU will be able to wear the underdog chip on its shoulders and take on the "us against the world" mentality.

It will be uncharted territory for this program. Lets see what kind of resolve they have. Should be, err, something!

BobNY
03-22-2015, 12:49 PM
UND it is.
Too bad they got shipped west. I was planning on taking the trip to RI or NH. No way we can make the trip to Fargo. I hope some fans are able to make the trip.

As far as the matchup. If they can manage to put together 3 solid periods of Bobcat hockey I believe they can give any team a run for their money in a one and done. Especially if they have Anas back in the line up. I read somewhere the other day that it possible he will be able to go for the Tournament. Hopefully that will be the case.

QUAlum2004
03-22-2015, 02:05 PM
Providence College really just ruined everything in terms of seeding. As mentioned (probably ad nauseum) on this site, the preferential treatment Providence received is just absurd. They are treated like a host university are rewarded with a home game. Boy, Miami must be REAL upset. They have to fly to the east and play a road game as a one seed against the second-to-last seeded team in the tournament. Unreal.

Of course, that set off the domino of sending us west to Fargo and Yale, thanks mainly to its three wins over Harvard this year, to Manchester. Zero bracket integrity. Whatever.

All of that being said, I am actually quite excited for this matchup. Will it be extremely difficult to beat NoDak in their barn without Anas? Of course. It will probably be the most hostile environment in which this program has ever played. But that is exactly what makes it so exciting. QU will be able to wear the underdog chip on its shoulders and take on the "us against the world" mentality.

It will be uncharted territory for this program. Lets see what kind of resolve they have. Should be, err, something!

Not their barn but their backyard. UND is in Grand Forks.

Fighting Sioux 23
03-22-2015, 02:15 PM

Correct. Fargo is about 75 miles from Grand Forks.

The ECAC and NCHC Regular Season Champions...shouldn't this be a Frozen Four matchup?

I haven't seen QU play much this season, but I'm sure the Bobcats will give North Dakota everything they can handle. Should be a great game.

MarkEagleUSA
03-22-2015, 02:48 PM
Mark,

Are you driving to Fargo? 1,510 miles; 22 hours and 28 minutes from Hamden. I'll send you the directions.Sadly, no... a trip to Fargo isn't in the cards for me unless you want to send a plane ticket my way! ;)

I like the matchup but don't like the way the brackets turned out. Having just got in from Lake Placid I haven't caught up on all the chatter so can't say if this is a good thing or not. It does appear that Miami got screwed having to come to Providence.

MSchvatz44
03-22-2015, 03:41 PM

Ah, yes. Should have realized that. Noted.

...my point about it being a hostile environment still stands