PDA

View Full Version : 2014-2015 Quinnipiac Bobcats: "I hear Boston is nice in April"

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 41

QUAlum2004
03-20-2015, 09:55 PM
Ran a whole bunch of scenarios with both the uscho & chn predictors and with Bowling Green getting clipped, I can't find a scenario (upsets or not) that we don't just get in. A 4 seed seems likely though.

Wins tomorrow by Harvard, BU and Minnesota would be huge.

MSchvatz44
03-20-2015, 11:05 PM
I, along with ThxMuch, ran as many simulators as possible, and could not come up with one scenario in which QU does not make the tourney. I also could not find a single scenario that we would be anything other than a four seed.

That said, I don't really care at that point. I just want to get in. Would LOVE to be placed in Providence, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers

ZYanksRule
03-20-2015, 11:05 PM
Before today, I had a lot of respect for Quinnipiac hockey. But after what that kid did to Colin Blackwell, I have lost that respect. What a piece of garbage. He better have eyes in the back of his head next season because we won't forget. Guiltanan will make sure of that. YOU NEVER HIT A KID IN THE HEAD FOR ANY REASON. Especially someone who has missed two years due to severe concussion problems. Your team knew that. What goes around comes around and someday, that kid is going to get his due.

You know what, you're right. It's not the first time Connor Clifton has gotten himself tossed from a game. It's a bad job by him. He needs to be better than that.

I would venture to guess he has the most major penalties on our team over the last few years, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ranked way up there in the country. Frankly, he's got himself a reputation as a dirty player. Whether it's true or not, that's his reputation, now. So yes, I think, and I hope, Quinnipiac fans are also annoyed with the kid, because he continues taking dumb runs at kids and putting the team at a disadvantage.

QUAlum2004
03-20-2015, 11:11 PM
You know what, you're right. It's not the first time Connor Clifton has gotten himself tossed from a game. It's a bad job by him. He needs to be better than that.

I would venture to guess he has the most major penalties on our team over the last few years, and it wouldn't surprise me if he ranked way up there in the country. Frankly, he's got himself a reputation as a dirty player. Whether it's true or not, that's his reputation, now. So yes, I think, and I hope, Quinnipiac fans are also annoyed with the kid, because he continues taking dumb runs at kids and putting the team at a disadvantage.

I think it was Tim Clifton that got tossed.

Got 6, Want More
03-20-2015, 11:13 PM
Before today, I had a lot of respect for Quinnipiac hockey. But after what that kid did to Colin Blackwell, I have lost that respect. What a piece of garbage. He better have eyes in the back of his head next season because we won't forget. Guiltanan will make sure of that. YOU NEVER HIT A KID IN THE HEAD FOR ANY REASON. Especially someone who has missed two years due to severe concussion problems. Your team knew that. What goes around comes around and someday, that kid is going to get his due.
I was on the other side of the ice and it didn't look bad, but my buddy was sitting right there and said it was ann elbow right to the head. Kid probably lost the game for Q...neither Clifton would be playing for me if they are going to pull that! And what's with banging sticks on the boards after the scrum with Vesey and # 19 (McMaster?)??

ZYanksRule
03-20-2015, 11:34 PM
I think it was Tim Clifton that got tossed.

Yes, after looking at the box score, it was Tim. My apologies for the mistake.

Priceless
03-21-2015, 12:25 AM
Even without upset champions, QU is not in a great position to make the tournament. Lowell or Vermont should move up to 15 when either of them with their semifinal.

Relax, you're in.

BigAl
03-21-2015, 02:20 AM

Whats up with people thinking that everyone is thinking every minute about everyones injury history. First off, Tim Clifton isnt that type of guy. Yes he is physical, and we've needed him to be, but he would never target someone specifically due to their injury history. It's unfortunate that it was Blackwell and I'm glad he was ok to return.

Im not one that wants everyone to like us but don't let one hit define your thought of the program. Hockey is a bang bang game and Tim Clifton has no history like his brother. If it were Connor itd be a little different of a story.

Dissapointing effort by the boys tonight. I dont want to put too much blame on the fact its the first game without Anas because they need to adjust better. Boy would it have been nice to have him out there to roof one in the third but every team has dealt with injuries this year and we've made it through most of the season unscathed minus Toews being out for a month or so.

Happy we are in the tournament again. Still have a sour taste in my mouth from the way this team has exited the last two years. Hoping we are on the east coast but I'm just relieved we are in.

Womens Basketball is on ESPN2 tomorrow at 4 eastern. Definitely worth checking out!

Got 6, Want More
03-21-2015, 08:41 AM

After thinking about the blatant hypocrisy is disgusting! Hart for Harvard intentionally hits Smolcynski in the head in mid January and one of our best scorers has been out since with his career in Jeoapardy! Where's the outrage? It was elbow, the kid served 5 in the 3rd of a semifinal. Hart should have got way more than a Game Misconduct. Live by the sword, die by it. Based on Blackwells immediate return, I think 5 was more than sufficient.

MarkEagleUSA
03-21-2015, 09:11 AM
Congrats to Harvard. They did what they needed to do to win. We didn't. As very slow start put us in a hole that was too deep to dig out of. We made it interesting but the combination of our leading scorer sidelined and a 5-min major to kill left us nothing in the tank. For anyone that did NOT see the game, the 5-2 score means nothing. It was a 3-2 game up until the last minute. The Bobcats didn't roll over and die.

I can't comment on the major because I didn't see the hit. Going by what others around me said it probably was a 2. I haven't seen a replay yet so I won't speculate. Did that cost us the game? Not directly... we killed it which says a lot about this team and how gutsy they've been all season. We expended a lot to kill it and that probably hurt us in the final minutes.

In the end, we were in Lake Placid contending for the league championship. It's been a Holy Grail to us but we'll be back... and we'll win it someday. All is not lost because of this. Time will tell, but it looks like everyone thinks we'll be playing next week and that's a much bigger prize don't you think?

Having been to one game in Albany (without Q there) and 2 years in Atlantic City, all I can say is Lake Placid is a great place to be. This town screams hockey. Everywhere you go people are talking hockey. I was asked several times yesterday on Main St about out team and our school. Plus the arena is so full of history you can feel it. I kept reminding myself in the 3rd last night that miracles do happen. Came up just a bit short...

Now we wait for today's game to play out and then see what happens tomorrow in the selection show.

ColSkate65
03-21-2015, 09:19 AM
Great season for QU. Your day will come at LP. Hope to see you in the Big Dance...;)

bothman
03-21-2015, 09:33 AM
After thinking about the blatant hypocrisy is disgusting! Hart for Harvard intentionally hits Smolcynski in the head in mid January and one of our best scorers has been out since with his career in Jeoapardy! Where's the outrage? It was elbow, the kid served 5 in the 3rd of a semifinal. Hart should have got way more than a Game Misconduct. Live by the sword, die by it. Based on Blackwells immediate return, I think 5 was more than sufficient.

Every Harvard fan I have seen hated that hit. And I would have no problem if Hart had to sit until the SLU player was back. I would advocate for it.

There should be ZERO tolerance for hits to the head. There is little fighting in college hockey because of the automatic having to sit a game. Not sure why a hit to the head shouldn't be the same and maybe more. There is no place for it in the game!

toogees
03-21-2015, 10:43 AM
With regard to the T. Clifton hit: They replayed it a few times on FCS coverage it was not an elbow. It was a bang-bang play and there was no targeting as the original poster is implying. Did his shoulder catch Blackwell high? Yes - kind of in the neck area. But more due to the body position of each player and not because Clifton was going up there, IMO... If I got a replay I could watch over and over maybe my opinion would change but by the few FCS relays - it didn't appear as a blatant head-shot.

I get the emotion and reaction to a player with such a history getting hit - and if the offending player had a history of questionable hits, I would probably call him out to clean it up. In the end, lets not go with the "we won't forget" and "eyes in the back of the head" stuff - it just perpetuates something that you just called out an entire team as being classless. How does that make sense?

TimU
03-21-2015, 10:52 AM
With regard to the T. Clifton hit: They replayed it a few times on FCS coverage it was not an elbow. It was a bang-bang play and there was no targeting as the original poster is implying. Did his shoulder catch Blackwell high? Yes - kind of in the neck area. But more due to the body position of each player and not because Clifton was going up there, IMO... If I got a replay I could watch over and over maybe my opinion would change but by the few FCS relays - it didn't appear as a blatant head-shot.

I get the emotion and reaction to a player with such a history getting hit - and if the offending player had a history of questionable hits, I would probably call him out to clean it up. In the end, lets not go with the "we won't forget" and "eyes in the back of the head" stuff - it just perpetuates something that you just called out an entire team as being classless. How does that make sense?

It was right in front of me. Looked like he ran Blackwell and the elbow hit him in the face - whatever it was, Blackwell took a hard shot to the head. Pecknold was upset that it was a major; if it had been called a minor, Donato would have been equally upset. The way I see it, when you hit someone high like that, you are putting the other guy in danger of a head injury and putting yourself in danger of getting tossed. I thought it was a bad hit and didn't have a problem with the call.

ZYanksRule
03-21-2015, 11:16 AM
There should be ZERO tolerance for hits to the head. There is little fighting in college hockey because of the automatic having to sit a game. Not sure why a hit to the head shouldn't be the same and maybe more. There is no place for it in the game!

Completely agree. And that's why I'm perfectly willing to criticize a guy on the team I root for after he does it. The sport needs to get that stuff out of the game. There's just no way around it.

DownOnTheFarm
03-21-2015, 01:52 PM
Yeah they should take checking out of the game of hockey all together. I'm sorry but if you think that Tim Clifton's hit was malicious then you should stop watching hockey. The check started at the shoulder of Blackwell and the ONLY reason people think it was a "bad" hit was because he FINISHED the dang hit! I think it's disgusting that he was ejected and it was a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. I would accept a 4 minute major for charging or "hitting too hard."

bothman
03-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Yeah they should take checking out of the game of hockey all together. I'm sorry but if you think that Tim Clifton's hit was malicious then you should stop watching hockey. The check started at the shoulder of Blackwell and the ONLY reason people think it was a "bad" hit was because he FINISHED the dang hit! I think it's disgusting that he was ejected and it was a 5 minute major and a game misconduct. I would accept a 4 minute major for charging or "hitting too hard."

If finishing a check ends up with contact to the head, then that needs to go. We need to incent players to do the right thing and we haven't done that. We've taken that stance with fighting which is why you never see it in college hockey. It's time to cowboy up with the hits to the head as well.

Most of these kids will never see the ice again after college and the lingering effects of concussions will cloud these boys' futures for the rest of their lives. It's just not worth it.

DownOnTheFarm
03-21-2015, 02:12 PM
A four minute major for charging? You sound really knowledgeable. *stick tap

Oh and you coming on here to just run your mouth is really knowledgable!

DownOnTheFarm
03-21-2015, 02:14 PM
If finishing a check ends up with contact to the head, then that needs to go. We need to incent players to do the right thing and we haven't done that. We've taken that stance with fighting which is why you never see it in college hockey. It's time to cowboy up with the hits to the head as well.

Most of these kids will never see the ice again after college and the lingering effects of concussions will cloud these boys' futures for the rest of their lives. It's just not worth it.

I guess so but it wasn't much of his head as it was his neck/chin. I just feel like it wasn't anything intentional or malicious so why should he be penalized so severely.

MarkEagleUSA
03-21-2015, 02:14 PM
I might have missed something but it seemed to me like the refs didn't make the call (at the scorer's table) until Blackwell got up. That tells me that if he jumps right up, Clifton only gets a 2. That's part of the problem. While headshots should be eliminated from the game, players know that staying down after a borderline hit usually sells the call. I'm not saying that's what happened here, but my opinion is the refs need to make the call immediately and not wait for the outcome.