Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014-2015 Quinnipiac Bobcats: "I hear Boston is nice in April"

USCHO.com ‏@USCHO 9m9 minutes ago
    ECAC Hockey suspends Cornell coach Mike Schafer one game for postgame conduct vs. Quinnipiac on Saturday. He'll miss Friday vs. Clarkson.
    Deserved suspension
    QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
    2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
    2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
    https://***********/QHockeyBlog
    https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
    https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by critsports View Post
      You couldn't be more wrong. 99% of the players he coaches will go on to something other than hockey. He is part of an academic institution of higher learning. He is an example for his University and his players. You are indeed fortunate to have a winning program. But....I would credit more to the $$$ spent, the facility, the marketing of the program and the advantages that gives to recruiting......rather than to Mr. Personality.

Those assets aside....sooner or later, his personality will impact recruiting.
      Again, this isn't high school -- this isn't even most other college sports programs. The players he coaches are all young adults. Most of them don't even come to school until they're 20 or 21 after playing Juniors for a couple years.

What Rand is doing is completely within the rules. It is the classiest thing, to always be whining to the refs? Of course not -- but you'd want your coach to do it. Yes, the things around QU hockey are to be credited for the lightning-fast growth of this program, but you're missing the plot if you think Rand has anything less than a huge part in all of that.

He's been in Hamden for 20 years, and the school just got its two best recruiting classes ever. There's no reason to think his personality is impacting recruiting. Hell, if I'm a player I want a coach that sticks his neck on the line every night. The goal is to run a good program (which he does), and to win. (which he does very well)

Comment

• Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
        Deserved suspension
        Why is that? Because coaches are supposed to set good examples and be ambassadors for their schools? Or was it just about winning? I'm so confused...
        If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Schaffer was just saying what everyone else is thinking. Your coach is a tremendous *********. Everyone in the league and probably nation knows it. It's a shame people get suspended for telling the truth these days.

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
            Why is that? Because coaches are supposed to set good examples and be ambassadors for their schools? Or was it just about winning? I'm so confused...
            Rand was working in the context of the game. Ya boy used profanity about one of his peers to a public member of the media after the game. There is a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxMan7 View Post
              Schaffer was just saying what everyone else is thinking. Your coach is a tremendous *********. Everyone in the league and probably nation knows it. It's a shame people get suspended for telling the truth these days.
              Cool story, bro

Comment

I'll be honest, I'm fine with what Schafer did. I'd be a hypocrite if I wasn't. He's protecting his player. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I also think it's a little silly to suspend him for a game, but I understand why the league did it. Suspending him is more about lip service to the PC crowd than it is anything else.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                  I'll be honest, I'm fine with what Schafer did. I'd be a hypocrite if I wasn't. He's protecting his player. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I also think it's a little silly to suspend him for a game, but I understand why the league did it. Suspending him is more about lip service to the PC crowd than it is anything else.
                  Interesting... This slices the other way for me - I detest what Schafer said and am glad the league penalized him. It's the sanctimony from some glass - house dwellers I could do without.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                    Hahaha I was bout to say the same thing. The kids obviously like him and as long as he is internally liked, I could care less what the rest of the ECAC thinks.

ECAC is reviewing the comments made by Schafer
                    Correction...several Q players detested him and I know that for a fact and he has lost control of his own room more than once in his career.

Suffice it to say, I agreed with Schafer when he went after the ECAC refs for stinking and I agree with him here. Your coach is detested by pretty much everyone outside of Hamden. Q has not had anywhere near the success of Yale or Union in recent years or Cornell over the last 20 years, and there is a healthy respect for Bennett / Leaman, Allain / Taylor and Schafer that simply isn't there for good reason with your coach. He is classless, he is often unsportsmanlike, he is an incessant whiner and I for one could care less if he wins 2 or 25 games a year because he is a stain on the league. Last year it was so easy to root for Union all the way to the end. The year before, it was easy to root for Yale but not Q.

Schafer didn't have to use such colorful language to get his message across, but he stuck up for his team and his player and I can guarantee he'll be getting some high fives by other coaches and fans in the rink hallways and conference calls. There have been a lot of kids in the past few years who were recruited by SLU only to have Q coaches follow them around and then recruit them to Hamden. Some because they didn't get in. For every single one of those kids, good riddance! Anyone that would choose to play for that guy doesn't deserve what the good ECAC schools offer.
                    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Pecknold talked about wanting embellishment called? After watching the play, he's got a good beef. The Cornell player went down REALLY easily, and then immediately got up. Of course, if you're that close to the boards and take the fall, the leageu states you don't have to act hurt, because you'll immediately get indignant.

Comment

I detest what Schafer said and am glad the league penalized him.
                        For what it's worth, I understand why Schafer said what he said, and maybe he was justified... my problem is with what he said, how he said it, and where he said it. He represents a prestigious Ivy institution and therefore shouldn't talk publicly like a drunken sailor. He showed a lack of class and dignity. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Pecknold, profanities from a head coach in public should not be condoned, ever.
                        Quinnipiac Bobcats
                        2023 National Champions
                        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
                          For what it's worth, I understand why Schafer said what he said, and maybe he was justified... my problem is with what he said, how he said it, and where he said it. He represents a prestigious Ivy institution and therefore shouldn't talk publicly like a drunken sailor. He showed a lack of class and dignity. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Pecknold, profanities from a head coach in public should not be condoned, ever.
                          Compared to the language in most hockey locker rooms from Junior to the NHL and everywhere in between, that was tame. Plus, he was fired up. There are times in life it just isn't worth being politically correct. He said what virtually every single person I have ever spoken with about Q and Rand thinks and summed it up quite nicely and unequivocally in 1.5 minutes. I don't think he regrets for ripping the ECAC refs and I don't think he will regret this. Concussions are one of the top 2 reasons the best college coach in the game quit. Having watched three separate players end up with broken necks from going head first into the boards, I personally think this is not called enough to deter it and having a coach standing there calling for an embellishment penalty is far more grotesque. It is not a major if the player gets injured or not, it's a major if it is a clear hit from behind INTO THE BOARDS, and there's a good reason it is a major. It's not a popularity contest, but it's also not a contest to see who can be the biggest stain on ECAC hockey for which Rand is a perennial favorite.

Even the people that grew up with him in this town have nothing good to say about him either.
                          9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                          1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                            He said what virtually every single person I have ever spoken with about Q and Rand thinks and summed it up quite nicely and unequivocally in 1.5 minutes.
                            Everyone knows you dislike Quinnipiac and Pecknold, but that's not even close to the point here. If it was Greg Carvel under the same circumstances and Schafer said this, you'd be first in line calling for his head on a platter. At least be man enough to admit that...

Whether Schafer was right or wrong doesn't matter. The language he used in a post game press conference was uncalled for and unprofessional regardless of the circumstances, period.
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                            ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                            East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                            Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                            Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                            Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                              He is classless, he is often unsportsmanlike, he is an incessant whiner and I for one could care less if he wins 2 or 25 games a year because he is a stain on the league. Last year it was so easy to root for Union all the way to the end. The year before, it was easy to root for Yale but not Q.
                              Heh. Before last weekend's games, I was talking to my mother (the sweetest, kindest 70-something grandmother you could ever hope to meet, and a 20-year Cornell season ticket holder), and she said something to the effect of, "I really don't like it when we play Quinnipiac - they're just nastier and meaner than all the other teams." I had to agree, but it really surprised me coming from her!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                                Compared to the language in most hockey locker rooms from Junior to the NHL and everywhere in between, that was tame. Plus, he was fired up. There are times in life it just isn't worth being politically correct. He said what virtually every single person I have ever spoken with about Q and Rand thinks and summed it up quite nicely and unequivocally in 1.5 minutes. I don't think he regrets for ripping the ECAC refs and I don't think he will regret this. Concussions are one of the top 2 reasons the best college coach in the game quit. Having watched three separate players end up with broken necks from going head first into the boards, I personally think this is not called enough to deter it and having a coach standing there calling for an embellishment penalty is far more grotesque. It is not a major if the player gets injured or not, it's a major if it is a clear hit from behind INTO THE BOARDS, and there's a good reason it is a major. It's not a popularity contest, but it's also not a contest to see who can be the biggest stain on ECAC hockey for which Rand is a perennial favorite.

Even the people that grew up with him in this town have nothing good to say about him either.
                                A precedence needs to be set when a coach calls one of his PEERS (see, I too can capitalize random words in a sentence or emphasis) a ********** classless a**hole. You simply can't have coaches going around saying that about other coaches in the league if you want to maintain a sense of professionalism and credibility.

Sure, Schafer has a right to be upset, just as Rand has a right to ask for embellishment if he honestly thought that could have been the call. The difference with Schafer is that he took those emotions outside of the ice and in your words, so "nicely and unequivocally" used expletives in a public forum. But NO, he was FIRED UP! Don't punish him! I would think that you, along with the rest of you ECAC fans who so often like to sit on a perch and try to look down at QU and judge, would hope fora little more "class" from a coach speaking in public.

But, yes, keep shaking your fist angrily in the air. That is doing everyone some good!

Comment

Working...
                                X