PDA

View Full Version : Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51

Hockeyfirst
01-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Sorry .... Every sports prognosticator from every corner of the globe has us losing with or without Eichel. We don't stand a chance. We don't have a prayer. We are going to be playing the #1 team in the whole Country !!!! They have a superman !!!! The best hockey player in the frigen world !!!! I saw him play Dartmouth and Harvard. Who do we have ? Eichel is from North Chelmsford, MA. We have a freshmen from North Chelmsford, Mass. Do you know his name? Have you ever heard of him? Of course not ... we are just a team of no-bodies.

BU has the top recruiting class in all of College Hockey. We have walk ons and rejects. Kids that were told they had to wait because they were not good enought. One of those kids is from Saugus. Bet you never heard of him either. :)

I have asked for a pep talk to get our frightened and dispirited and badly beaten up Dutchmen back on their feet. What we need for this pep talk is .... an inspirational "Big Speech" from an inspirational leader - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7vtWB4owdE :D :D :D :D :D

Wow, way to support your team. Let's get real, you won a title last year. That is more than most programs can say. The ECAC is not ever going to attract the big name players that Hockey East can. BU has not had the best record in their league the last few years. This year they are having a great season. I do think Union coul do a better job recruiting than they have the past few years.

FlagDUDE08
01-03-2015, 09:48 AM
Wow, way to support your team. Let's get real, you won a title last year. That is more than most programs can say. The ECAC is not ever going to attract the big name players that Hockey East can. BU has not had the best record in their league the last few years. This year they are having a great season. I do think Union coul do a better job recruiting than they have the past few years.

Looks like sarcasm to me. After all, I'm sure they learned something about taking that message to heart when playing arguably the worst team in the nation at the time, who subsequently put a six-top on Union. Too bad Bennett didn't make them skate Herbies after the game to fit the script; that would have been entertaining. :D

Dutchman
01-03-2015, 09:52 AM
I'm watching and rooting for Union, that dam player is back.

Thanks sshablak ..... glad BU will be a full strength. Would not want it any other way. As best as I can remember, this is the first time we will be playing a Boston area HE team in Boston at their barn. We have never played BU before and I don't think we have ever played Northeastern or BC in their own barns. The last time we played a #1 team was last year, at St. Cloud State. BU has such a storied hockey past. Boston is really the hub of college hockey. All those championship banners hanging from the rafters.

We have four starting players, three of which are freshmen, two of these preppies (Philips Academy and Nobles) from the Boston area. RB likes to make sure that when we travel, these players get to see lots of action because their families will be there. All four of them are starters anyway and are going to be higher than a kite being in a rink like Agganis in Boston. One is from Saugus and I got to believe he is going to have a few thousand relatives come see him play. :)

For us (Union) it would be great to play a HE team in the greater Boston area each year (BU. BC, NE, UNH, Providence, Merrimack). We played two at UNH last year. I am sure the same can be said for Colgate.

steakbomb
01-03-2015, 10:30 AM
Based on rosters I see no reason why the likes of union, rpi ,Colgate, slu, qu, etc wouldn't benefit from a game or 2 in the boston area given the recruiting overlap

ADK11
01-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Thanks sshablak ..... glad BU will be a full strength. Would not want it any other way. As best as I can remember, this is the first time we will be playing a Boston area HE team in Boston at their barn. We have never played BU before and I don't think we have ever played Northeastern or BC in their own barns. The last time we played a #1 team was last year, at St. Cloud State. BU has such a storied hockey past. Boston is really the hub of college hockey. All those championship banners hanging from the rafters.

We have four starting players, three of which are freshmen, two of these preppies (Philips Academy and Nobles) from the Boston area. RB likes to make sure that when we travel, these players get to see lots of action because their families will be there. All four of them are starters anyway and are going to be higher than a kite being in a rink like Agganis in Boston. One is from Saugus and I got to believe he is going to have a few thousand relatives come see him play. :)

For us (Union) it would be great to play a HE team in the greater Boston area each year (BU. BC, NE, UNH, Providence, Merrimack). We played two at UNH last year. I am sure the same can be said for Colgate.I actually saw U play NE at Mathews a few moons ago.. but yeah this will be the first in a barn of a school with the word "Boston" in it. Should be a big night to play in front of family & friends for Vecks, Scarfo, & Brassard and maybe Light if he is in the lineup (he's played well, so should be IMO). Of course, how the game goes could be another story.. especially if Eichel is back. Sounds like BU is high skill and plays a style somewhat similar to Union's. Will need a big night from whomever is between the pipes.

Dutchman
01-03-2015, 12:55 PM
Will need a big night from whomever is between the pipes.
Hope Alex gets the nod for this one ....

rdf8585
01-03-2015, 05:36 PM
Sak starts for Union.

No Eichel for BU.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Alex Sakellaropoulos is starting in goal for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UnionHockey?src=hash">#UnionHockey</a> tonight vs <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/BUHockey?src=hash">#BUHockey</a>. Puck drops at 7. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/HEA?src=hash">#HEA</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/ECACHockey?src=hash">#ECACHockey</a> <a href="http://t.co/aP9IN3J3sO">pic.twitter.com/aP9IN3J3sO</a></p>&mdash; Union Hockey Blog (@UnionHockeyBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/UnionHockeyBlog/status/551504731634688000">January 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TonyTheTiger20
01-03-2015, 05:49 PM
How did you embed a tweet?? I haven't even been able to embed photos lately...

rdf8585
01-03-2015, 05:52 PM
How did you embed a tweet?? I haven't even been able to embed photos lately...

Copy/paste the "embed tweet" code from your tweet and paste it into here. You can get the embed tweet code by clicking on those 3 little dots under your tweet.

UnionFan4Life
01-03-2015, 06:35 PM
Let's Go U!

AnthonySaxe
01-03-2015, 06:58 PM
In looking to next year, we lose Novak and Ciampini, Coatta and Stevens and Vasaturo. Wilkins, Eli, Pontarelli, Roy, Vecchione return. We need three forwards, (Ammirato, Foo and Scarfo step up, someone fill in behind them), a goal tender (Alex) and a defensemen. Defense comes back largely intact. Whatever happens this year, feel good about next year. Any thoughts? I like the pairing of Taylor and Light. How difficult is it to move a forward to defense and visa versa? Could Roy be made a defenseman?

Have you seen Roy skate? Or do anything else well? He should be playing DIII, honestly.

Also, Sak with a Sak-like display of technical prowess on that 1st goal.

Dutchman
01-03-2015, 10:56 PM
Just got back .... lots of fans at the pregame.
IMO we played very well ... we are clearly getting better. We played for 60 minutes. BU is a very talented team. IMO the boys accounted well of themselves. Impressed with how well we skated.

steakbomb
01-03-2015, 11:07 PM
I thought that game was a fantastic hockey game to watch. Love to see that every year. You folks lost a few from last years team but the ones that remain clearly play the way you need to in order to win it all. Just glad the **** poor officiating didn't ruin a good game for either side.

UnionFan4Life
01-04-2015, 02:26 AM
I thought that game was a fantastic hockey game to watch. Love to see that every year. You folks lost a few from last years team but the ones that remain clearly play the way you need to in order to win it all. Just glad the **** poor officiating didn't ruin a good game for either side.
The last penalty on Henry wasn't a penalty, which ultimately decided the fate of the game. Still, BU is very talented and I hope to see them again with Eichel and our All-American goalie in net. This was a good game to get us ready for conference play. U is starting to click which has me excited for the rest of the season.

sshablak
01-04-2015, 07:07 AM
Union looked pretty dam good to me, very fast. Great game !

rdf8585
01-04-2015, 01:28 PM
Courtesy of Phil Cohn, here are highlights of Union's 3-3 tie at top-ranked Boston University on Saturday:

http://youtu.be/7wI06rXUd70

Dutchman
01-04-2015, 03:49 PM
We have 13 Non-Conference Games this weekend and for many ECAC teams, this weekend closes out the non-conference, league schedule.

#1. Brown 1 - BC 4 LOST Brown played extremely well IMO and except for a 5 on 3 where BC scored twice, it could have gone either way. Both Goal Tenders played extremely well. IMO - Brown may match up well against Denver. Don't expect Brown to be a pushover in the second half.
HE (1) ECAC (0)
#2. RPI 2 - Miami 3 LOST RPI Played a strong 3rd period. Almost tied it.
NCHC (1) ECAC (0)
#3. Dartmouth 1 - Denver 1 TIED Dartmouth outshot Denver 40 - 25 shots hit the pipe more times that I can count.
NCHC (1) ECAC (0) TIE (1) Dartmouth defeats Denver in the Shootout !!!!! Krueger was fantastic in goal. IMO Dartmouth outplayed Denver.
#4. St. Lawrence 3 - Northeastern 3 TIED I did not see this game.
HE (1) ECAC (0) TIE (1)
#5. Quinnipiac 2 - St. Cloud 3 LOST
NCHC (2) ECAC (0) TIE (1)
#6. Union 3 - BU 3 TIE
HE (1) ECAC (0) TIE (2)
#7. St. Lawrence 2 - Northeastern 4 LOST
HE (2) ECAC (0) TIE (2)
#8. RPI 0 - Miami 3 LOST
NCHC (3) ECAC (0) TIE (2)
#9. Quinnipiac 4 - St. Cloud 1 WIN
NCHC (3) ECAC (1) TIE (1)
#10. Brown 3 - Denver 5 LOST
NCHC (4) ECAC (0) TIE (2)
#11. Dartmouth 2 - BC 3 LOST
HE (4) ECAC (0) TIE (2)
#12. Yale 3 - VT 1 WIN
HE (4) ECAC (1) TIE (2)

TUESDAY
#13. Yale ? - Northeastern?

1-3-2 vs HE
1-4-1 vs NCHC

For the weekend with only Yale vs Northeastern to be played we are 2-7-3 (dismal). Kodos to Yale and Q for preventing us from being swept.

Dutchman
01-04-2015, 05:45 PM
The non-conference record of the ECAC thus far

Teams with Winning Non-Conference Records

HARVARD 4-0-0 as of 1/4/2015 Remaining NC - 3
DARTMOUTH 3-1-1 as of 1/4/2015 Remaining NC - 2
YALE 4-0-0 as of 1/4/2015 Remaining NC - 2
UNION 7-3-1 as of 1/4/2015 Remaining NC - 1
COLGATE 8-4-0 as of 1/4/2015 Remaining NC - 0
QUINNIPIAC 5-4-1 as of 1/4/2015 Remaining NC - 2

Teams with Losing Non-Conference Records

BROWN 2-3-0 as of 1/4/2015 Remaining NC - 2
CORNELL 2-4-1 as of 1/4/2015 Remaining NC - 0
ST. LAWRENCE 3-6-3 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 0
PRINCETON 1-3-1 as of 12/14/2014 Remaining NC - 1
CLARKSON 3-7-2 as of 1/4/2015 Remaining NC - 0
RPI 2-10-1 as of 1/4/2015 Remaining NC - 1

The ECAC teams (6) with a wining OOC record thus far are:
31-12-3 OOC
The ECAC teams (6) with a losing OOC record thus far are:
13-33-8 OOC

We have dropped to 4th in conference standings
IMO with a non-conference record like this we will be very lucky to get 3 teams in the NCAAs.

UFan
01-05-2015, 09:59 AM
A good week end that could have been much worse... A very nice game to watch, but I was very surprised by the poor officiating... I seemed that the refs were afraid to call anything against BU that wasn't overly obvious... Anyways, we still played our game, for the full 60 minutes, so that's a big positive.
The Foo and Scarfo lines are a pleasure to watch. I wish Shier and Ammirato were paired together, with Eli in the middle... Any idea why Pontarelli wasn't playing ?
Alex really needs to watch the tapes of his past 2 games : the 2nd goal he let in against BU is an almost exact replica of a really close call against Sacred Heart. He makes a save, stands up tall (not ready to make the next quick move, maybe looking for the puck or scoping out the play), and the puck just rolls past his feet, in his right side. It missed the net by an inch against Sacred Heart, and went in against BU. Both of those should have been easy pad saves ! Hope the coaching staff can show him that.
This game reminded me of last year's championship game in some instances : the first BU goal on a puck that the goalie thinks he has, our come back goal right after that... and a hard fought game.
Last thing : our goals 1 and 3 are beautiful. Just saying.
Goal 2 is pretty too, very good individual effort.

Miami Ice
01-05-2015, 10:35 AM
This year's edition of Union hockey is on its way to being defined. Do the Dutchmen possess the mettle to make a run for a top four finish? If the BU game is any indication, the answer is "affirmative." One had to like their form against the No. 1 team in the country. Consistency is the key from now on.; without it, the Dutchmen are doomed.. Harvard looks mighty tough. The rest of the league makes predictions a fool's game. Should be a fun couple of months.