This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WCHA 2014-15: Semi-colons make things seem important

Tech took care of business this weekend in sweeping Lake State. Fans of both schools, chime in on what you saw.

GFM <— will be over here drinking beer with the refs
    Geof F. Morris
    UAH BSE MAE 2002
    UAHHockey.com

Re: WCHA 2014-15: Semi-colons make things seem important

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
    Tech took care of business this weekend in sweeping Lake State. Fans of both schools, chime in on what you saw.

GFM <— will be over here drinking beer with the refs
    I saw what I expected. A young team who hasn't had a chance to work on the new coach's system and an experienced team working in a system that's been in place for three years. ;

I'm sure there are some Laker posters already decrying the team, but it's way too early. I wish them the best, and when they start to succeed, the same naysayers will be talking about how it's the old coaches players who are the reason for success. Sometimes you can't win. ;

Tech needs to stay out of the box. That many penalties against Ferris will sink them. ;

Comment

I saw an LSSU team that will get better as the season progresses, and a Tech team that has a long way to go if they are serious about contending for the league title with Ferris and Mankato. However, I don't think Tech fans could've asked for a better road result from a team that hasn't played a game since March - fewer stupid penalties would be the most glaring issue right now.

Comment

I don't see any semi-colons, so I assume this thread is of no importance.
        Du hockey comme dans le temps!

Comment

Originally posted by Freddie View Post
          I don't see any semi-colons, so I assume this thread is of no importance.
          If a semi-colon is important, think how much a full colon is worth.

Just to clarify, I'm talking about colon as punctuation, not anatomy.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
            Just to clarify, I'm talking about colon as punctuation, not anatomy.
            here's hoping BGSU kicks miami in the sigmoid this week.
            Bowling Green St. Univ. '88 • SUNY Potsdam '79

Comment

;Also, well done FSU, for getting that win against Michigan.

;As for Tech-LSSU, Tech did what they needed to. Need to clean it up a bit, but that is not surprising given its an early season series. LSSU will be ok, they have a little learning, and maturing to do, but I think Damon will get them where they need to be. Looks like they got a good goalie in DeFiel.
              Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

RIP - Kirby

Comment

Ok, it is official. Per the request of a poster over the weekend, we will no longer refer to our conference as the nWCHA. Going forward we will now be referred to as the ;WCHA because we are both tougher AND now seem important as well.

I tuned in to UAF's Friday game and their announcers commented that the HD feed was not working. So sounds like they have the equipment, but didn't bother to do enough testing.

Obviously watched Tech's two games at LSSU and their feed at least had audio and video 100% of the time, but still in low-def. Also got a bit seasick the first period on Sat - way too much camera movement. They threw in a few replays from time to time and tried to use a camera in the corner, but most of the game was pan and scan from a high camera down in LSSU's offensive blue line.

Ferris' feed was the best that I watched this weekend, but also still in low-def. The video and audio worked the whole time I was tuned in and they even tried to throw up some graphics once in a while.

So having seen three of the ten feeds thus far, I have yet to see one that could be described as "live and in high definition"...

As for the hockey, UAF didn't play anyone on par with the ;WCHA so hard to judge where they are at. Ferris jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead, but then didn't keep their foot on Michigan's throat and let them back into the game. And if the preseason rankings are to be believed then the MTU v LSSU series went as expected. LSSU gave Tech a good run on Saturday and the first period of Sunday, but in the end Tech took care of business on the road and got their four points. If any of the other teams watched the games, Phillips is going to have a lot of pucks targeted for up over his left shoulder the rest of the season.

Ryan J
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Great start to the season for wthe WcHA
                  Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Periods are important; ask a coed.

Comment

I watched the LSSU game and was unimpressed with the video feed. As others noted, the camera was shakey and they didn't bother to balance the color tone between the cut-away cameras and the main camera. I also got kicked out a few times and I have a very fast connection. Not quite worth $12. I shut off the audio and listed to WKMJ on Pasty because the LSSU announcers rarely identified any Tech players by name. The time lag was annoying but it was worth it to hear Dirk call the game. Not that the LSSU announcers were bad....I thought they were very balanced...

As to Tech's team, I thought the play was sloppy and disorganized with a general lack of discipline. However, the raw talent and depth of the team was very apparent, as evidenced by the number of players that put up points. 15 players tallied points, including 3 freshmen. Once the boys get their lines squared away and get into a groove, this team should be a nightmare for any other team in college hockey. Phillips looked good, but it's too early to tell if he'll be consistent. I thought LSSU was equally green with only Perfetto and Globke really standing out. It's clear that they don't have the depth that Tech has this year, but they will win plenty of games if they get decent goaltending. I think Ferris will be the real test. If Tech can steal a game in their barn, I'll take a sip of the 2014/15 vintage Tech koolaid.

Comment

I'd like to think that I thought of that as a reading test, but ... boy, that looks dumb.

GFM <— off to see if he can change the title; instead, we'll just have punctuation jokes all season.

ETA: NOPE, DANGIT
                        Geof F. Morris
                        UAH BSE MAE 2002
                        UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by gfmorris View Post
                          I'd like to think that I thought of that as a reading test, but ... boy, that looks dumb.

GFM <— off to see if he can change the title; instead, we'll just have punctuation jokes all season.

ETA: NOPE, DANGIT
                          After my three surgeries last winter and spring, I can tell you colons are very important. Semi-colons can make life interesting on a day to day (or even hour to hour) basis!
                          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
                          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
                          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
                          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
                          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
                          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
                          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
                          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Where's my burrito???

Still got 2 weeks till NMU kicks off against Wisconsin
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

I enjoyed a trip to the Soo Saturday - coming away feeling that Tech wasn't so much better than LSSU, but that there was a gap. Good to be back at the rink after essentially a season away (went to one game last year). I'm already planning on more this season...
                              Current NCAA D-I rinks I've been to:

AHA:
                              B1G: UMich, MSU, UMinn, Notre Dame, OSU, UWisc
                              CCHA: BSU, BG, FSU, LSSU, MSU, MTU, NMU
                              ECAC:
                              HEA: UMass
                              NCHC: Miami, UMD, UND, SCSU, WMU
                              Independant: ASU

Inactive: UAH, ASU, BSU, UMD, UND, NMU, Notre Dame

Comment

Working...
                              X